• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Analogue Will Release Analogue 3D - A 4K Output FGPA N64 - in 2024

Is there really a market for this? No offence, but Analogue is always so expensive and I never saw the unique appeal they bring to the table. Also, aren"t the notorious for not delivering on time?

Is there really a market for this? No offence, but Analogue is always so expensive and I never saw the unique appeal they bring to the table. Also, aren"t the notorious for not delivering on time?
[Full disclosure: I only have an Analogue Pocket (which I specifically bought for the Dock).]
  1. It’s a niche of a niche, but yes, there’s absolutely a market for an FPGA Nintendo 64 clone console. Analogue sells well to the high-end retro enthusiast audience.
  2. While Analogue’s products are definitely pricey (especially compared to the countless retro handhelds in the wild), they’re competitively priced compared to OEM hardware modded with modern bells and whistles that Analogue simply includes out of the box.
  3. What do you consider Analogue’s unique appeal? To me, it’s convenience, modern functionality, and unlike software emulation, 99% if not 100% compatibility that plays exactly like OEM hardware.
  4. When Analogue reopened Pocket preorders in December 2021, I got in Group A and received mine in March 2022 so I lucked out and didn’t face any delays. I was under the impression that they were caused by COVID and the general flustercuck of global supply chains at the time. Unsure if Super Nt or Mega Sg faced similar delays.
Anyway, after mulling it over, I’m not yet sold on Analogue 3D. The lack of openFPGA may be a dealbreaker for me.

I actually don't think Analogue's products are pricey at all. They're some of the most normally priced stuff out there. The Retroid stuff doesn't count, it's all mass produced planned obsolescence crap in that market anyway. The Duo for instance is much cheaper than the equivalent of what getting actual PCECD hardware all together, modded and recapped would cost (and you WOULD have to recap it because PC Engine hardware is notorious for caps). The Pocket, for what it does, is also excellently priced.

The 3D could absolutely change that sure but other than the old aluminum shelled NT Mini their hardware has always been priced far fairer than their weird rarity based marketing would have you believe.

Yeah, outside of their early products (mainly the NT Mini) all their stuffs are not that expensive, reasonably priced even. It's just the limited quantity that's the big thing here.

For what they are, Analogue consoles are reasonably priced, at least if you don't factor in the price stuff like delivery (it's literally 100 € to my country, wich made me not purchase an Analogue Pocket)

However

Their limited releases really limit accessibility, that, and the fact that they randomly stop production and... that's it. Their product page is almost comical, everything is sold out and confirmed to not be manufactured ever again.

Unless they suddendly decide to release another limited clear shell edition of the Super NT or something, i dunno.

The Retroid stuff doesn't count
Sorry, but it's part of the market, if you want to speak about the price of something you need to take the competition in account, too.

Is there really a market for this?
There is, or they would have left the market long ago. Plus, the N64 is been having kind of a rennaisance in the retro scene long ago, with hardware manufacturers releasing their own takes on the N64 controller, Hyperkin making some feints with a supposedly N64 emulation console, 8bitdo releasing their N64 controller wireless conversion kit, and now this. Not taking in account Nintendo releasing an actual, official replica of the original controller, too.

The limited availability and atrocious ordering systems are the far bigger problems then price. When you have a device that sells out in minutes, DON'T LET PEOPLE ORDER 2 YOU ABSOLUTE PSYCHOS.

The limited availability and atrocious ordering systems are the far bigger problems then price. When you have a device that sells out in minutes, DON'T LET PEOPLE ORDER 2 YOU ABSOLUTE PSYCHOS.
I kinda get why they allowed two orders for Pocket as it's a portable system for which they also sold link cables.

Have they allowed two for their home consoles? That would be stupid.

And I do wish they'd just allow open pre-orders for a defined period of time. I know that even with money being taken straight away some would cancel which leaves them with some risk but for enthusiast products like this I don't imagine it will be much and it will allow them to actually have some stock in for people who want these consoles in the future.

Sorry, but it's part of the market, if you want to speak about the price of something you need to take the competition in account, too.

All right then I think their quality is also subpar to the point where the prices for them are too high, especially with new models constantly coming out that still can't do anything accurately. It's all junk, the physical manifestation of zsnes in a portable form but for whatever consoles they support.

So Analogue shouldn't think of them at all.

All right then I think their quality is also subpar to the point where the prices for them are too high, especially with new models constantly coming out that still can't do anything accurately. It's all junk, the physical manifestation of zsnes in a portable form but for whatever consoles they support.

So Analogue shouldn't think of them at all.
Hyperbole isn't helpful, either. Hardware emulation vs Software emulation is a pointless debate, moreso when you go as far as comparing one with ZSNES of all things.

Hyperbole isn't helpful, either. Hardware emulation vs Software emulation is a pointless debate, moreso when you go as far as comparing one with ZSNES of all things.
It isn't about software vs hardware, I love all emulation that's done well. Those portables are junk.

I'm going to be all over this. Analogue may have their issues with availability and communication, but there is no denying that they make great products. And an N64 FPGA console that's fully accurate was thought not to be possible with the kind of hardware they use. Plus, theirs are the only FPGA hardware currently that lets me play original carts, and their consoles allow me to dump my carts and their battery saves, so I never have to lose them.

My original N64 isn't working great these days so this arrives at a perfect time for me. Well, except that 2023 would be even more perfect than 2024.

The N64 core on the Mister is progressing quickly, and the community started talking about the “suspicious coincidence” of this announcement. Mostly speculation though I think.

Back
Top Bottom