• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion After 14 months, 5-year Kickstarted Switch game Hatch Tales (formerly Chicken Wiggle Workshop) finally gets a "status update" (just a menu screenshot)

A bit of a weird thing i got reminded of again today (around the anniversary of another thing from this company that I remembered, and that one I did get: the Atooi Collection on 3DS which still has a game breaking bug 3 years after launch!), but a few days ago Hatch Tales got a new kickstarter update.

For those unaware, Chicken Wiggle was a pretty fun platformer with a level designer focus made for the 3DS in 2017. It of course, bombed because the 3DS was a dead system by that point, but the game itself was pretty fun, and I decently liked it when reviewing it for SFG... But then Jools Watsham, the creator proposed making an HD port of it for the Nintendo Switch, and then opened a kickstarter for Chicken Wiggle Workshop in 2018, with an ETA of late 2018 for delivery. Needless to say, it has been over five years with no game in sight. All the while the status updates on the game get less and less frequent, until a few years ago when it was retitled "Hatch Tales" with a new ETA that it also missed.

Then it got a ETA for 2022. Missed completely. Bumped to 2023.

It's nearly 8 months into 2023 and well... It's still not out! In fact outside of initial promo vids for the rename we haven't even seen much in terms of b-roll, so people have been impatient for updates. Game dev is tough and as an outsider I just assumed it was one of those games that hit some snags along the way and would come out pretty good, but with it having been 14 months since the last kickstarter update, being reminded of this game when a backer friend linked me to that new update with rage due it literally being nothing more than a fancy screenshot of the level select screen... Yeah, i can see why some are impatient for status updates. At this point it's less of a "oh they're taking so long to make it because they wanna polish it" and more of a "oh this dude just blew the money on stupid shit", since in said status update...

We have needed to release other games during development to help fund the continued work on Hatch Tales. I can see how this sounds counter intuitive, but these games are programmed by folks who are not working on Hatch Tales in addition to myself and others.

This is a bit of a red flag since well, the funds were meant for the chicken wiggle game to begin with... And games that released since Hatch Tales was backed have not been received well. Run Box Run was the last atooi made game and I'm literally the only reviewer of it on the internet (no other websites seem to have covered it), and yeah, it's utter shite, a far quality decrease from the glorious Mutant Mudds Super Challenge of old. If this is what's meant to fund hatch tales, then I don't think this game is ever coming out, especially if they're being rather dodgy about showing b-roll in action. Needless to say, backers are angry in the comments section. Below is the image that took 14 months to publish.

image-448119-original.jpg

That would be where I'd normally end the thread, going "wow haha the dude has taken an ass long time on a silly chicken game and gave us a screenshot", but it gets even wilder since the main reason that update seems to have been cobbled together... Was a post on Gamexplain's youtube channel interviewing Jools about something else. Hatch Tales gets brought up, and he really treats it in a rude way, especially considering the fact it was crowdfunded with hardly any status updates, telling backers waiting 5+ years for even basic B-Roll or monthly updates to "Relax". It seems to have been posted before, if not a bit around when this update went live, so I wouldn't be surprised if this maybe got him off to post the crumbs of an update we do have.

So uh yeah, quite a weird ride. I liked Jools' 3DS games a lot and was rooting for this game, but didn't back it back then due to lack of money. I may have dodged a bullet it seems, with the whole "we don't have funds to make it, buy our other games" aspect, the lack of communication, and angry backers occasionally pinging me on twitter to write an "investigation" into this whole thing because Jools apparently has blocked backers who keep @ing him on twitter too much for status updates. Again, I usually give long-term project makers leeway since stuff takes time (a game on my steam wishlist since 2018, Gravity Circuit, just came out and was well worth the wait!), but Jools' reasoning seems to not hold much water.

And well... as a bit of a final soapboxy bit, that atooi collection bug I noted earlier has made me very sour on the company myself since I joined their discord server mid-last year to try and get a status update on the patch that would fix the major bug, (you cannot clear chicken wiggle's final stage, it will hard crash to the 3DS menu every time you try) since well, I bought the damn thing in 2020 and legitimately want to go through and play all the games, but when one title is literally unbeatable going on 3 years this month, it becomes very obscene into how long it takes for a 3DS game to get patched. In 2022, I was told that all hands were on deck for Run Box Run, which if you look at that game, uh, yeah, not good. Then after that game dropped I poked again and noted the eShop was closing soon, and they told me pretty much not to worry about it and it would be submitted to NOA soon.

The bugfix patch got submitted in Feb 2023, per a tweet they made, with not a word since (I had since left their discord as i got sick of the non answers) The eShop then closed, and I dunno if retail game updates can still be published even. If any 3DS devs with knowhow can chime in, lemme know as I'm really annoyed I can't play the game I spent money on years ago, and that along with this whole kickstarter ride just leaves me soured on a 3DS indie dev I loved back in 2012. Super Challenge literally won my GOTY award for 2016 and I still think that game holds up well, so I have no clue why Atooi seemingly imploded since then...

Ah, the perils of crowdfunding. And super weird about the one game in the collection being unbeatable. How does a game even get released in that state?

I’ve been pretty lucky so far. Every project I backed has released in one way or another, or is slated to (i.e. Goodboy Galaxy, Infinity), despite some delays.

For the most part, I don’t crowdfund games anymore. I completely missed Hazelnut Bastille’s Kickstarter. I meant to back Mina the Hollower then remembered the day after the Kickstarter ended. Yacht Club Games tends to take its time and the game will release eventually so I’m not that worried about missing out on the updates.

Reminds me of Heart Forth Alicia. Still waiting for the game to come out on my shiny new Wii U!

holy frick that's a name I haven't heard in a while: is Alonso still at it? I swore that came out already, but it seems it's also undated... And those comments are more vicious/angry than the ones about hatch tales.

Granted, at least HFA isn't porting a 3DS game...

I think it was confirmed that Wii U and 3DS games will still pull downloads from the servers if they exist, you just can’t preload them via the eShop now for obvious reasons.

Why no one knows what’s up with the cert process for the 3DS Collection (I’m in the same boat since it was cheaper to get the games physically than in the eShop at one point) is absolutely bizarre. Then again, Nintendo was also in no rush to get the Wii U updates out for Splatoon and MK8 so maybe it’s just stuck in a backlog queue of updates?

patches should still work mario kart 8 and splatoon 1 wii u got one this month to fix the exploit for online

i'm still waiting for Hex Heroes to resurface finally.
Hex_Heroes.jpg

there was an utterly bizarre selection of talent involved, (Grant Kirkhope is doing the music! the Game Grumps are playable characters for some reason! the developer narrated a Did You Know Gaming episode to promote it!) that it's genuinely baffling to see it completely disappear like this.

The bugfix patch got submitted in Feb 2023, per a tweet they made, with not a word since (I had since left their discord as i got sick of the non answers) The eShop then closed, and I dunno if retail game updates can still be published even.
i know there's definitely been some weirdness relating to that. there was one dev in particular who just straight up dumped a tech demo on the eshop prior to it's closure, in the hopes that he could update it to it's planned full RPG content after the shutdown.
1.png

Let's talk about Otosan. At time of writing, a 2-hour demo is available on the public website. I had hoped to make a 3DS cartridge of the full game, but the deadlines for new physical 3DS games rendered that impossible.

Next came the deadlines for new digital-only 3DS games...

About a year ago, I had to make some strange moves, to keep my foot in the door of 3DS development. In order to secure a slot for Otosan (to be patched into a proper game later), I had to submit something... and that "something" had to satisfy the definition of a game.

Introducing... "The World's First 10-second 3DS Game"

Hex_Heroes.jpg

there was an utterly bizarre selection of talent involved, (Grant Kirkhope is doing the music! the Game Grumps are playable characters for some reason! the developer narrated a Did You Know Gaming episode to promote it!) that it's genuinely baffling to see it completely disappear like this.

i know there's definitely been some weirdness relating to that. there was one dev in particular who just straight up dumped a tech demo on the eshop prior to it's closure, in the hopes that he could update it to it's planned full RPG content after the shutdown.
1.png

omg hex heroes is another in the "wait i remember this what happened?!?" part of my mind. I was so pumped for that game and again, almost backed it but got busy. TBH I only ended up backing Nintendo Force and Flip grip in the end, which may have been a godsend on my part as the game i got closest to backing before my family talked me outta it was... Shaq Fu 2. Yeah, huge dodge there.

This still feels weirder to me since i know jools tried KSing cult country and that failed: but this passed due to being posed as a HD 3DS port. That's also not to say how long Treasurenauts has taken to make, which, good lord, if that was kickstarted, it would be in the HFA/Hex Heroes rabbit hole

Quoted by: Tye
Hex_Heroes.jpg

1.png

Oh yeah! I bought otosan during the 3ds eshop closure, just as a kind of hope for someone's weird plan. I hope he still gets it all to work out. Even if he doesn't it's still kind of a neat 3ds game to have.

Yeah, I backed this project. Not too happy with how Jools has been radio silence through out it. It really comes off as weird as he had no problem during the 3DS era of talking about his games. I remember him doing weekly dev blogs on GoNintendo to lead up to Xeodrifter's launch. So not sure what happened to cause him go this route.

Another weird aspect to all of this was that Jools was working at Phaser Lock Interactive as a Studio Design Director from Jun 2022-Mar 2023. This per his own Linkedin page. Which I find odd as he always made it seem like he was full time at his own company. I know he has other people helping him, but they seem to be part-time. So I'm guessing it highly likely there's been points in which no work has been done on Hatch Tales. And that may also be leading to some the delays alongside possible money issues.

It's kind of sad given how Jools showed some potential during the 3DS era with his games. Maybe he can turn it around, but for now I just feel like I can't support any future releases from him.

Jools has been on my shit list ever since he ran in to defend fucking Colin Moriarty on Twitter. You know, one of the shittiest right-wing douchnozzles. I remember grabbing screenshots of some damning tweets he made. Anyone siding with him gets a hell no from me.

Yeah, I backed this project. Not too happy with how Jools has been radio silence through out it. It really comes off as weird as he had no problem during the 3DS era of talking about his games. I remember him doing weekly dev blogs on GoNintendo to lead up to Xeodrifter's launch. So not sure what happened to cause him go this route.

Another weird aspect to all of this was that Jools was working at Phaser Lock Interactive as a Studio Design Director from Jun 2022-Mar 2023. This per his own Linkedin page. Which I find odd as he always made it seem like he was full time at his own company. I know he has other people helping him, but they seem to be part-time. So I'm guessing it highly likely there's been points in which no work has been done on Hatch Tales. And that may also be leading to some the delays alongside possible money issues.

It's kind of sad given how Jools showed some potential during the 3DS era with his games. Maybe he can turn it around, but for now I just feel like I can't support any future releases from him.

Yeah I also noticed last year when LRG published their switch games as distro titles, jools put a banner on his twitter that had hatch tales in the same art style as the covers for xeodrifter/MMC. i wondered if LRG was gonna fund it at some point and that ended up being one of their dropped projects the CEO mentioned a few weeks ago. Would explain the money issues.

Jools has been on my shit list ever since he ran in to defend fucking Colin Moriarty on Twitter. You know, one of the shittiest right-wing douchnozzles. I remember grabbing screenshots of some damning tweets he made. Anyone siding with him gets a hell no from me.

Eeeeeeeh, the sucky but true part is colin was pretty big in the vita world and a lot of indies there worked or befriended him pre him going solo for his alt right podcast. It’s pretty tough for me to blame someone for still associating with someone of that size even if the dude is real shitty. Sorta why people still respect totalbiscuit despite all he did, due to his size/clout (and that’s another person I personally have zero respect for, and who stupidly enough, even ranted about a post i made a decade ago? Which was a weird moment to see…)

That did remind me though, of something that there is no way of defending and don’t get why jools did, but i remember him posting a vid to a video interview he did with… fucking josh thomas bit block about his games. As a person who was a huge longterm fan of josh before he went completely insane, (and who gave him too many benefit of the doubts due to my 2010 nostalgia for him being front and center too long) this especially alarmed me considering josh at this point is a nazi. Literally No other way to describe him. I know he made one of the first Mutant Mudds videos ever but there’s zero reason jools should entertain a guy of that level of toxicity in any capacity and that whole endorsement just made me sour and want my damn patch to come out so i can slowly distance myself from them.

Granted with how i sensed rightness from gonintendo in my recent years, maybe jools’ partnership there was another sign. Someone also told me the co host of that atooi talks podcast was hyper transphobic, but I couldn’t find a trace of that on his tweets so I wasn’t sure. Something definitely changed about jools for the worse through, and if he’s not even responding to PR questions about his KS game… I wonder if they’re gonna be around much longer. I’m honestly certain if his current behavior was what people saw in 2018 when this opened, this project wouldnt even have been funded, especially with him being cozy with bad individuals.

Mutant Mudds released on GOG after being rejected by Steam initially and then that version was abandoned without updates or the Deluxe content as soon as it made it to Steam.

Last edited:

That update never came. After four years of abandonment, it was finally delisted from the platform in 2017.

Lol the rudeness of that last tweet

I get why focusing on a platform that didnt do well wouldnt be viable but man, at least… upload the same build steam got? Idk. Least MMD works on steam deck so that release seems to be in a good spot

That's also not to say how long Treasurenauts has taken to make
I still think about this game from time to time. As someone who was also a big fan of Jools’ games on 3DS, I was highly anticipating Treasurenauts back when it was first announced way back in 2013—yes, it’s been about a whole decade now—and then it just disappeared. Last I heard it was apparently supposed to still be in development but for Nintendo Switch now, though I don’t believe there’s been any update on that in years—I think it was back in 2019 when it was said a 2020 release was being targeted, but it’s over three years past that and there’s still nothing.

I recall Jool's business partner passed away not long after the dissolution of Renegade kid. I had for a long time attributed the decline in activity by Jools to this. But I do wonder if there's more going on behind the scenes. RK had their biggest hit with Mutant Mudds and spent the rest of the generation chasing that high.

Jools behaviour on twitter is also weird. I recall trying to reply to one of his twitter posts last year only to find he has only flagged it so that only whitelisted people could reply. I had assumed he was being harassed. But I was unaware of the shadiness around his kickstarter.

I recall Jool's business partner passed away not long after the dissolution of Renegade kid. I had for a long time attributed the decline in activity by Jools to this. But I do wonder if there's more going on behind the scenes. RK had their biggest hit with Mutant Mudds and spent the rest of the generation chasing that high.

Jools behaviour on twitter is also weird. I recall trying to reply to one of his twitter posts last year only to find he has only flagged it so that only whitelisted people could reply. I had assumed he was being harassed. But I was unaware of the shadiness around his kickstarter.

yeah he openly shut down twitter replies due to people always flooding them with hatch tales update requests. I thought it was a bit silly for backers to be as pushy as they were back in 2020/21 when we were in a pandemic and he had his friend die (plus the community manager dude who volunteered to help with the KS, NintendoGuru I believe, died of Covid-19, so that didn't help things), but with him openly throwing out shovelware like run box run and basically dodging questions about other stuff like the Atooi patch to fix a set that was put out 3 years ago... my respect for him is at rock bottom now, personally. Especially with how they acted in that discord server when I brought up the patch & how when I pointed out run box run was terrible and was destined to pretty much be abandoned in a week or so, I got yelled at and jools told me that "oh play with us on a community night, it'll be fun" despite me pointing out that 1: his online only race platformer was online only with not even a local option for families, and 2: when i tried finding my own organic matches separate from his scheduled events, I couldn't even play the game because nobody came to the rooms. On launch week. So yeah, it feels like he doesn't even know wtf he's doing if he's just doing that instead of finishing his damn kickstarted 3DS port. At this rate, the wait is absurd and at the very least Jools should be posting like, in-game b-roll to let people see the game in action rather than images.

I still think about this game from time to time. As someone who was also a big fan of Jools’ games on 3DS, I was highly anticipating Treasurenauts back when it was first announced way back in 2013—yes, it’s been about a whole decade now—and then it just disappeared. Last I heard it was apparently supposed to still be in development but for Nintendo Switch now, though I don’t believe there’s been any update on that in years—I think it was back in 2019 when it was said a 2020 release was being targeted, but it’s over three years past that and there’s still nothing.
Yeah on the Atooi discord Jools mentioned Treasurenauts was basically on pause and maybe they'd come back to it someday. They were more focused on hatch tales and run box run then, lol. Hatch Tales I could kinda see as a suitable replacement for it, but Run Box? Christ.

It also reminded me of that petadachi thingy they were making that never went anywhere, and apparently that got put on ice too. I completely forgot that game existed.

actually now that i remember that poop of a multiplayer game here's literally the last game jools made that he spent $$$ and time on over hatch tales. I gave it a 2/10 for SFG.

Oh wow, I knew Renegade became Atooi, but I forgot it was a split into two. Had no idea Infitizmo's founder had passed. Damn, RIP.

Apparently, a release date is to drop today on Nintendo Life.

We still havent seen a second of footage so i’m doubtful tbh.

Complete Game Change and Date
Sorry for double post but this is pretty huge:

It’s been announced for March 2024… and completely redesigned. Apparently fears the older, cuter style wouldn’t sell well, so now the bird has a hook.

Not at all close to what people backed

pouring one out for Wiggle (i assume that was the worm's name).....RIP lil guy

been fascinated by this project since the kickstarter launched and it continues to surprise me lmao. i'm sure the release date (for the...anniversary of the kickstarter launch?) being announced six months in advance is just to be extra-extra sure they'll have enough time to finish it, but it is weird as heck. it's at least cool and badass that they made the bird look pissed off........goes hard

Where’s my Atooi Collection patch for the physical release?!

I bugged them on their official discord about it and they told me LRG got to sending it to NOA lotcheck in May. Then they asked me to bug lrg about it and not them (despite how they took 2 years to fix a game progression bug…) since they didnt publish it.

So uh, that’s kinda alarming as the eShop is dead lol; if it happens, it’ll be randomly on an ordinary day without much warning. I dont think NOA would care much for 3DS patches at this point in time and their whole lack of communication is very infuriating.

Jools also noted in the discord that he refused to tell backers until now about well, anything because he firmly believes community-input projects are not a good idea (so the team can just focus on what they believe in) and that they’ll likely never do a kickstarter again due to how entitled everyone was about it

Tbh they could have mitigated almost all of the shit they got if they just communicated and dropped B roll every few months. I can’t really blame backers for being pissed when a full year went by without a single public update.

So uh, that’s kinda alarming as the eShop is dead lol; if it happens, it’ll be randomly on an ordinary day without much warning. I dont think NOA would care much for 3DS patches at this point in time and their whole lack of communication is very infuriating.
My understanding is that patches will still download when you try to start the software but the lack of any transparency around this specific patch has been incredibly disappointing from all parties involved.

3DS Patch Canceled and Hatch Tales MIA
Another hyper long bump but kinda needed:

First, atooi collection 3DS’s patch got canceled. Hours after i poked jools in discord back in Jan about it lmao. Blamed it on Nintendo/their publisher (LRG) not approving it despite them submitting a patch a year ago. Mind you, the game was unbeatable since Aug 2020, so they just ignored patching it for 2.5 years and only started work on the patch after they finished Run Box Run, so it seems like incompetence to me.

A homebrew guy heard the news and made a patch himself in a few days. So you can beat chicken wiggle now, if you hack your 3DS. Apparently it was very easy after fixing a quirk with the level editor.

As for hatch tales despite having a date for 5 days from now, there has not been a SINGLE peep about the game.

No kickstarter updates.

No kickstarter backers getting any relevant contacts (being asked about what name for the credits, the rewards, etc)

Not a single piece of screenshots or B-roll footage

Not an eShop page

devs in the discord being very dodgy and refusing to comment about the game (outside of an earlier remark on how they never felt pre release promotion for stuff helped sales all that much, take that as you will since i’m pretty sure the last game they pre-release promoted was Run Box Run, and try finding any reviews or coverage of that game to get an idea on how many people cared)

Nothing.

Who wants to bet it’ll get a stealth delay without so much as a gameplay clip?

Another hyper long bump but kinda needed:

First, atooi collection 3DS’s patch got canceled. Hours after i poked jools in discord back in Jan about it lmao. Blamed it on Nintendo/their publisher (LRG) not approving it despite them submitting a patch a year ago. Mind you, the game was unbeatable since Aug 2020, so they just ignored patching it for 2.5 years and only started work on the patch after they finished Run Box Run, so it seems like incompetence to me.

A homebrew guy heard the news and made a patch himself in a few days. So you can beat chicken wiggle now, if you hack your 3DS. Apparently it was very easy after fixing a quirk with the level editor.

As for hatch tales despite having a date for 5 days from now, there has not been a SINGLE peep about the game.

No kickstarter updates.

No kickstarter backers getting any relevant contacts (being asked about what name for the credits, the rewards, etc)

Not a single piece of screenshots or B-roll footage

Not an eShop page

devs in the discord being very dodgy and refusing to comment about the game (outside of an earlier remark on how they never felt pre release promotion for stuff helped sales all that much, take that as you will since i’m pretty sure the last game they pre-release promoted was Run Box Run, and try finding any reviews or coverage of that game to get an idea on how many people cared)

Nothing.

Who wants to bet it’ll get a stealth delay without so much as a gameplay clip?
Gonna need Matt McMuscles to Wha Happen this shit.

Back
Top Bottom