• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Deluxe Edition announced for Switch

Did someone say "Namco never ports in house titles to Switch"? This is literally one of few in house namco titles of PS4 generation. No idea why took them so long, Ace Combat on 3DS did pretty well. Thanks to Nintendo themed skins, hopefully they've got some here too.

This is one crucial genre and franchise that was missing from the Switch library. One big step towards being the best ever.
This is an argument that I've seen many times alongside suggestions of personal vendettas. I just think that some studios (Atlus has a few) that don't mind being late to the party.

This is also some hopium on my part, but late ports like this suggest the next-gen Switch will be backwards compatible. Since the architecture will be similar, a studio might make something that runs on the base Switch that has more bells and whistles on the next-gen.

--I was surprised by the announcement of the Nintendo Switch version. How did development begin?

Kono: It was the idea of producer Shinomoto (*). He jumped in and said, ``Kono-san, maybe we can guarantee the quality for release!'' Naturally, we always want more people to play the game, so if we can achieve a quality that meets user expectations, we would definitely like to do it. So, we started small with technical verification to see if it was really possible.

*Mr. Manabu Shimomoto. "ACE7" producer.
Please tell us about any other difficulties you encountered during the port.

Kono:
To be honest, the Ace Combat team didn't have the know-how to port the game since it was the first time in a while that we would be releasing it on Nintendo hardware. This time, we decided to make it happen with the help of external developers and the supervision of ACE7 staff. The people who had the most trouble must have been the external development staff who worked to improve the reproducibility. thank you very much. Thank you to producer Hagiwara for his hard work as this is his first produced work.
Interview posted on InstallBase by Joseki

Namco is showing this game now because it would be forgotten in the next direct besides the Switch 2.

Sweet dreams aside...The port is looking great!

This port looks so incredible that I don't mind the 30FPS lock one bit. I hope they eventually bump up the frame rate for the next console.

This is cool. Still need to play my PS4 copy. I'll probably just play it on PS5 though rather than Switch, but hopefully Bandai does more stuff like this in the future.

this rules. tomorrow (or now in japan) is the five-year anniversary of the game’s original release! which is the only reason I can imagine for announcing a port like this six months before release lol. really looking forward to it!

2019163.jpg

this rules. tomorrow (or now in japan) is the five-year anniversary of the game’s original release! which is the only reason I can imagine for announcing a port like this six months before release lol. really looking forward to it!

2019163.jpg
The Switch has a real chance to get the definitive version of this game with an even more fucked up looking dog.

2019163.jpg
Was waiting for a screen of the JPEG dog.
Love it.

I will gladly double dip if the physical release has the whole game on the cartridge, great game.

Unbelievably fucking stoked for this. AC is the one thing from BN I really wanted for the Switch 2 and now we get something sooner. Lot less doubt about future entries hitting the system.

Guess I'm triple dipping. And you all better buy this game too. I want AC8 to have all the budget possible

720p in both modes and 30fps. I'm guessing the game is cpu limited

Should have more stable fps in docked mode if both run at 720p 30fps. More bandwidth and GPU for effects and such

Really hope for a 1080p 60fps patch for Switch 2

Yabadabadoo!!!! When I first saw this I wanted it so bad and I really don’t know anything about it! I have played almost zero flight sim games but I long to shoot up enemy aircraft mid flight.

All I’ve ever known is Star Fox and Rogue Squadron. I imagine this will be nothing like those but can someone explain to me what I’m in for? I’m buying it regardless but how does the game feel?! I’m so excited for this!

Wow, cool! Never played any of these games, but I'll keep an eye on it. Looks like a really solid port. We'll just have to see if it's able to maintain a solid frame rate throughout. But the fact that they released a comparison video the day of the announcement makes it seem like they're proud of their work -- definitely a good sign.

Though it's really surprising to see a "miracle port" of a PS4-era game this late in the Switch life cycle when the successor is right around the corner.

I believe this is only the 2nd "modern" (PS4-era) in-house Bandai Namco title they've ported to Switch (the first being God Eater 3 way back in 2018). Hopefully this helps pave the way for better Bandai Namco support in the future, be it on Switch (surely not...but maybe?) or Switch 2. Still waiting for Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus, Code Vein, Soul Calibur VI, and Tekken 7 (though with the way fighting games work, probably better to start hoping for Tekken 8).

The Switch has a real chance to get the definitive version of this game with an even more fucked up looking dog.
Probably not, the dog is the pet of one of the creators. It also sadly passed away during development.

(It's also not a JPEG - the dog was asked to sit still. It did so extremely well.)

Bumping this because it looks like it's also getting a physical release in Europe, going by retailer listings.

It's currently available for preorder in Germany, at least.

So, there's a massive sale on Ace Combat 7 on Steam (base game at 10 €, Ultimate Edition at 20), I'm kinda interrested but also a bit scared because... well I suck at these kind of games. I'm much more of an -very arcade controls- person, like StarFox 64 all range mode.

Any space battle in Starfield keeps reminding me how much I suck no matter what upgrades and weapons I use, and I know it's not the game's fault. But I like flying, I like space shooters, and I've always liked watching some Ace Combat dogfights and played the PS1 demos back then.

So... is the game beginner friendly ?

So, there's a massive sale on Ace Combat 7 on Steam (base game at 10 €, Ultimate Edition at 20), I'm kinda interrested but also a bit scared because... well I suck at these kind of games. I'm much more of an -very arcade controls- person, like StarFox 64 all range mode.

Any space battle in Starfield keeps reminding me how much I suck no matter what upgrades and weapons I use, and I know it's not the game's fault. But I like flying, I like space shooters, and I've always liked watching some Ace Combat dogfights and played the PS1 demos back then.

So... is the game beginner friendly ?
Ace Combat is very much on the arcade side of airplane combat. It's nothing like MS Flight Sim or all the space sims that claim to have "Newtonian gravity" in their flight model.

I'd say it's pretty beginner friendly; the games haven't changed much in gameplay since the original Air Combat in 1996 but that's mostly because they nailed the experience the first time (which means that they've mostly been able to pour a ton of quality work into the story, soundtrack and visuals). It's very much selling you the "experience" of flying a combat airplane rather than actually flying a combat airplane if that makes sense.

If this is your first AC game, it's not at all a bad place to start, although the full context of the story is pretty reliant on knowing the other major AC games. Nothing so bad that it'd break the experience, but something to be aware of. Difficulty of the game is a bit over the place after the first section, so don't be afraid to revisit some earlier missions if you need to get a grip on the controls.

Tldr for story context: The good AC games take place in a place called Strangereal which is a not!Earth that due to [circumstances] results in all the major nations in the setting building superweapons. Fantasy Germany (called Belka) attempted to invade the rest of the world using theirs but ended up failing (covered in AC0), creating a legacy of bad blood between the various major nations that cause the various wars that the AC games take place in.

That's really all you need to know.

Ace Combat is very much on the arcade side of airplane combat. It's nothing like MS Flight Sim or all the space sims that claim to have "Newtonian gravity" in their flight model.

I'd say it's pretty beginner friendly; the games haven't changed much in gameplay since the original Air Combat in 1996 but that's mostly because they nailed the experience the first time (which means that they've mostly been able to pour a ton of quality work into the story, soundtrack and visuals). It's very much selling you the "experience" of flying a combat airplane rather than actually flying a combat airplane if that makes sense.

If this is your first AC game, it's not at all a bad place to start, although the full context of the story is pretty reliant on knowing the other major AC games. Nothing so bad that it'd break the experience, but something to be aware of. Difficulty of the game is a bit over the place after the first section, so don't be afraid to revisit some earlier missions if you need to get a grip on the controls.

Tldr for story context: The good AC games take place in a place called Strangereal which is a not!Earth that due to [circumstances] results in all the major nations in the setting building superweapons. Fantasy Germany (called Belka) attempted to invade the rest of the world using theirs but ended up failing (covered in AC0), creating a legacy of bad blood between the various major nations that cause the various wars that the AC games take place in.

That's really all you need to know.
Wow, thanks a lot !

Back
Top Bottom