• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour According to job listings, Retro Studios is working on an unannounced title based on established IP

The plan probably wasn't for them to sit on it that long tho.
Development ended late 2021. It probably should've been released in 2022, with Prime 4 coming in 2023. I suppose that by early 2022 they realized it wouldn't be ready for 2023, and they wouldn't release the game 2 years before Prime 4 to lose momentum, nor they'd want to replicate the original announcement or TotK by showing a late 2024 game in mid 2022. So they decided to delay the game to 2023, and announce it alongside Prime 4.
Or... the game just not exists and the rumors are false.

At this point I just want to see something from Retro lol.
Hopefully they show Prime 4 soon. And that rumored Prime 1 remake.
It is hard to get excited for another rumored project when we are still waiting for something, anything, to materialise after 9 years since their last game.

Yeah, yeah. We've been waiting for, how long now? 10 years for Retro to release a new game.

Let's see them make a good game first and I'll put my hype back on.

It seems obvious to me that these guys develop games to be able to play them themselves in the much free time they have, since nothing has been released by them for 9 years 😅

Job listings could mean so many things. I do wish Retro have been working on something other than Metroid Prime / Prime 4 though. But this is no news imo.

could be prime 2 remaster?
God I hope they're not.
Wish they go with the 3D Zelda's route, where Wind Waker HD was made in house, while Twilight Princess HD and Skyward Sword HD were made by Tantalus. I think Tantalus would be a great fit for Prime 2 and 3 btw. They're very talented and experienced with remasters, and they have Nintendo's trust. Also they could convert the motion controls greatly for SS so they probably can handle MP3. Metroid Prime 2 doesn't look as dated as Twilight Princess so a remaster that's more of new textures and bump in resolution can work(it worked fine being just resolution even in SS).
Or... the game just not exists and the rumors are false.
This possibility does exist, yes. But we did have our most trustable source talking about. Also we know through LinkedIn that a project was completed by late summer 2021.
It’s Metroid Prime 5
I actually thought exactly that when I saw it lol. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were already beginning pre-production on the next game to avoid the long gap or to have a sequel ready ASAP.

Only saw this thread now, and first post didn't disappoint at all :D
Do we have any news on what syn Sophia might be working on?
They were recruiting art designers for fashion, but to be fair all their games involve fashion, so who knows what they're working on.

I can't believe retro's working on turning the Donkey Kong's Crash Course minigame from Nintendoland into a full game!

It’s interesting how after 9 years of Tropical Freeze release on Wii U, we’re still speculating about their next project.

The only thing known so far is the official announcement of them working on MP4, 4 years ago, a game we haven’t seen even a concept art 🤔

It’s interesting how after 9 years of Tropical Freeze release on Wii U, we’re still speculating about their next project.

The only thing known so far is the official announcement of them working on MP4, 4 years ago, a game we haven’t seen even a concept art 🤔
It fucks me up realizing it's been almost 9 years since Retro's last game AND the last DK game.

Most likely they worked on some stuff from 2014 to 2016 that got cancelled. A project from 2016 to September 2017 that got cancelled (September 2017 is when their creative director and lead writer bailed. The creative director came back in 2019). Stuff from September 2017 to January 2019 that got cancelled (maybe Prime 4 support?) along with the Tropical Freeze port. Then mostly Metroid Prime 4 with probably Metroid Prime remake being done by a few people.

KEB3uQe.png

I'll be the first to be thrilled that Retro is finally going to revive F-Zero, especially since they've already co-developed a racing game. But all wishful thinking and speculation aside, I really think that after Prime 4, they need to move on to Prime 5. There has been too much uncertainty about them and a lot of hard work since they got Prime 4 back for them not to capitalize on a direct sequel to reap the rewards of that restructuring.

Plus, we know that Prime 4 will be released on the current Switch no matter what, so a sequel that takes full advantage of the upcoming hardware would make sense.

Another possibility that I would love: Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, which would include the extra levels in the 3DS port, normal controls, 60FPS, and of course the soundtrack redone by David Wise.

Most likely they worked on some stuff from 2014 to 2016 that got cancelled. A project from 2016 to September 2017 that got cancelled (September 2017 is when their creative director and lead writer bailed. The creative director came back in 2019). Stuff from September 2017 to January 2019 that got cancelled (maybe Prime 4 support?) along with the Tropical Freeze port. Then mostly Metroid Prime 4 with probably Metroid Prime remake being done by a few people.

You're mixing people up. The Creative Director of Tropical Freeze, Vince Joly worked at Retro from 2004-2019. He now works for EA as a Senior Art Director.

Last edited:
Another possibility that I would love: Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, which would include the extra levels in the 3DS port, normal controls, 60FPS, and of course the soundtrack redone by David Wise.

You're mixing people up. The Creative Director of Tropical Freeze, Vince Joly worked at Retro from 2004-2019. He now works for EA as a Senior Art Director.

I'm referring to Stephen Dupree (who has had titles very similar to creative director though I guess not exactly).

image.png

As Dupree and MG (the lead narrative designer at Retro) both left to make failed VR games August 2017, I'm guessing there was a game cancellation August 2017.

I'm referring to Stephen Dupree (who has had titles very similar to creative director though I guess not exactly).

image.png

As Dupree and MG (the lead narrative designer at Retro) both left to make failed VR games August 2017, I'm guessing there was a game cancellation August 2017.

That's who I thought you referring to. Dupree is indeed back as Principal designer on Prime 4 (lead designer on TF), though Bill Vandervoort is heading the design team as Design Director (senior designer on TF). He's been there since 2005.

Back
Top Bottom