• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion "A struggling Nintendo is a creative Nintendo"- Do you agree with this statement?

reality is that each era of a console maker will have duds and highlights in software but the difference between wii u and switch is that it's undeniable Nintendo has been way better at keeping a relatively steady flow of content going ever since the launch which I think is far more important as opposed to the nebulous and subjective idea of creativity.

You could make a top 10 best/greatest games of all time with a "1 Nintendo published game per system" rule and have a top 10 that most people wouldn't question.

No, it's a statement born from a group of people who grew up with the Wii U and are nostalgia blind.

I always feel like I'm being gaslit by these takes about the Wii U being a great console and better than the Switch.

The tread seems to get the argument mixed up between the success of the Wii U vs Switch rather than whether Nintendo is better when it is or has been struggling.

For me, they ARE better ("creative" is too hard to define) when they're struggling - because games and hardware are produced with a lag. So if you love the Switch more than the Wii U, then I'd argue that you agree with the premise. Because the Switch was developed when Nintendo had just had a semi-failure of a handheld (3ds lost them a ton of money at first, and they had to ditch its USP) and a five-alarm-fire disaster of a console they had to all but dump after two years to move on to the next thing. (Crazy to think now that the Switch launched a mere 4.5 years after the Wii U.)

And the result of all that struggle was a piece of inventive but razor-focused hardware design that was the best they'd done since the Wii and DS. Which were also produced after they'd been struggling with losing market share! It's like when they have nothing successful to iterate on, it frees them to be at their most creative.

But for me, I like Nintendo the most when they are making fewer safe sequels and casual-bait games, and more for their hardcore audience. Whenever their sales drop, they pivot back to their core audience to stay afloat, and that suits me. It was the run of games from 2014-2017 that for me were the genesis of the modern Nintendo golden era, and for me those games were a direct result of their sales and marketing failures from 2010-2013 as a result of which they once again decided to lean in to making slightly more difficult games with less handholding and more gameplay depth for their core audience. It was an obvious pivot from how they were making/marketing games at end of the Wii era and how Wii U had been presented at its launch.

Currently Nintendo are riding high, and now we're starting to see a lot of safe sequels (TotK, jesus) and remasters. The next console is taking far longer than it otherwise would have due to their success and will almost certainly be an simple iteration on the Switch.

I can't lie, there's a part of me that would love to see them struggle a bit again to see what new direction it might lead to.

The tread seems to get the argument mixed up between the success of the Wii U vs Switch rather than whether Nintendo is better when it is or has been struggling.

For me, they ARE better ("creative" is too hard to define) when they're struggling - because games and hardware are produced with a lag. So if you love the Switch more than the Wii U, then I'd argue that you agree with the premise. Because the Switch was developed when Nintendo had just had a semi-failure of a handheld (3ds lost them a ton of money at first, and they had to ditch its USP) and a five-alarm-fire disaster of a console they had to all but dump after two years to move on to the next thing. (Crazy to think now that the Switch launched a mere 4.5 years after the Wii U.)

And the result of all that struggle was a piece of inventive but razor-focused hardware design that was the best they'd done since the Wii and DS. Which were also produced after they'd been struggling with losing market share! It's like when they have nothing successful to iterate on, it frees them to be at their most creative.

But for me, I like Nintendo the most when they are making fewer safe sequels and casual-bait games, and more for their hardcore audience. Whenever their sales drop, they pivot back to their core audience to stay afloat, and that suits me. It was the run of games from 2014-2017 that for me were the genesis of the modern Nintendo golden era, and for me those games were a direct result of their sales and marketing failures from 2010-2013 as a result of which they once again decided to lean in to making slightly more difficult games with less handholding and more gameplay depth for their core audience. It was an obvious pivot from how the end of the Wii era and how Wii U had been presented at its launch.

Currently Nintendo are riding high, and now we're starting to see a lot of safe sequels (TotK, jesus) and remasters. The next console is taking far longer than it otherwise would have due to their success and will almost certainly be an simple iteration on the Switch.

I can't lie, there's a part of me that would love to see them struggle a bit again to see what new direction it might lead to.
I've been struggling to get it into words, but yeah, you nailed it. People are assuming that the Switch and its era count as Nintendo creating during a period of success and it makes no sense to me, at least in its early days. It was born out of Nintendo struggling.

This is the same mindset that lead to MVG and Nate on their podcast talking about "TotK feels like it came and went" because for the cult of the new gamers, TotK was the game for a month and then Diablo 4, SF6, and Final Fantasy 16 all came out a month later.
This feels like a weird thing to say, given it’s still outselling at least 2 of those games (I don’t know what the sales are on Diablo), and it’s getting massive content created for it on social media still.

People can overrate creativity anyways. Not to say I don't want creativity in games, but the best games are not always the most creative ones either.

The Wii U was such a terrible console that I picked it up in 2014, played it for like 4-5 months, then never played it again except for the odd VC game and Splatoon's launch. It was a piece of shit paper weight that just happened to have some of Nintendo's best games.

I'm not going to watch the video so forgive me if this is ever covered. I just don't really have much interest right now. Maybe later.

However, every single console has risks and "weird" games. The Wii U has it, the Wii has it, and yes even the Switch has it. And a key difference is that some explode in sales/reception (BotW, Ring Fit Adventure), some are pretty good (ARMS), some are good critically but not sales wise (Sin and Punishment: Star Successor), and others are complete bombs (Star Fox Zero, even if I still really like this game).

Point being, you can cherrypick all you want to bolster or tear down arguments. The fact we are at this many posts in and no one mentioned games like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. should be proof of that.

sorry but I can’t agree with the whole “casual-bait” rhetoric. It reeks of wii era discourse
Wait, do you deny that Nintendo specifically went for a new kind of casual consumer in the Wii / DS era? They were perfectly open about it. They got those customers, and promptly lost them to mobile about 4/5 years later, and returned to their more traditional audience of kids/families/core fans. That's how it went down.

Or is it just the tone of the conversation you don't like?

sorry but I can’t agree with the whole “casual-bait” rhetoric. It reeks of wii era discourse
It also ignores all the "casual bait" games Nintendo released during the Switch era including

1-2 Switch and it's sequel
A new brain age
A new big brain academy
A new mii game
A new clubhouse games
Nintendo Labo
A new console sports
Mario Kart Live
Ring Fit Adventure

That doesn't include Animal Crossing, or all the fitness games Nintendo published from 3rd parties like the Fitness Boxing series.

Nah. I‘d say it’s more the case of that people are more sympathetic to a struggling company that still makes products they love even though not everything is perfect. Especially when something is a super flop but still does some things right.

Just imagine what would had people said about Nintendo at the time if the WiiU’d have been successful with games like Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis (and I hate to say it) even good games like Captain Toad.

I mean you can see that with Sony in the past were they had both roles at the same time: While the PS3 is the embodiment of "Arrogant Sony", the PSVita is highly regarded to this day, even though they are not that far apart. We all like the underdog role.

I think what we miss about Nintendo is just a result of that for the better or the worse things change over time. I’m sad that live presentations are a thing of the past thought the direct format is overall better for how the industry is today.

Last edited:
You might want to check the first post again. This thread is about Nintendo creativity, not the success of that generation. Why bring up software droughts and E3 reveals? "Mario Maker should have been a launch game" what does that matter in the context of this discussion? The fact that you barely acknowledge Splatoon says it all. What about NES Remix or Miiverse? The Switch has given us...NES games and a dark or light OS theme. Let's hear your comparable list of Nintendo at their creative best in the Switch generation then, all seven years of it. Odyssey, Labo, absolutely, what else?

I love the Switch and the Wii U was a failure, but I don't think it's controversial to say that Nintendo are playing it a bit safe in terms of software this generation, compared to last.
I mean Odyssey or Labo are absolutely creative. So were BOTW, 1 2 Switch (+Horsies), Arms, Octo Expansion, Ring Fit, Bowsers Fury, TOTK and seemingly Mario Wonder. Otherwise non EPD games are amazing on Switch. Though I agree with you that they are playing it safe for their Multiplayer games.

As a primarily Nintendo gamer, the most defining feature of the Wii U and N64 eras was the complete lack of 3rd party support, there was no meaningful difference in creativity. The Switch is my favorite console ever bc of Ocotpaths, Oris, Tunic, Triangle Strategy, DQXIS, and MH Rise/Stories 2, and that's only possible bc they designed something with broad appeal instead of targeting random niches.

Bizarro Nintendo is basically a guarantee that I'll have nothing to play, which isn't a problem for multi-platform gamers (who I've noticed make the "I miss the old Nintendo" argument most often). If you already have PC/PS/Xbox to fulfill your bread and butter needs, it makes sense that you'd prefer Nintendo to potentially bankrupt itself so that you can get Labo. That's not me though.

Wii U had a lot of iterative sequels. I mean it launched with New Super Mario Bros. U right around the same time 3DS got its NSMB! There were a bunch of 2D platformers, which I didn't play all of but I gather the only ones to push boundaries were Mario Maker and arguably Tropical Freeze (which doesn't do much new mechanically but is so creative with its level design perhaps that doesn't matter). Mario Kart 8 is a highly polished HD iteration of the series, with a few new wrinkles but hardly revolutionary (I will give multiplayer sequels more of a pass on playing safe and moving incrementally, though that would apply to Switch too). Even 3D World, while a great game, is an iteration on 3D Land and probably the safest 3D Mario in terms of world design and enemies.

And so far I've only listed good well-received games, we haven't even gotten into things like Amiibo Festival. And generally Nintendo struggled to find ways to actually use the gamepad post-Nintendoland. Speaking of Amiibo, that was mostly riding out a fad started with Skylanders as a fallback for failing sales. I can understand some nostalgia for the quirkiness of Miiverse or Reggie's antics, but they aren't that significant.

And I mean, in moderation there's nothing wrong with iterative sequels or safe 2D platformers, and some of the games I mentioned above are quite good! But while it had some bursts of inspiration (mostly notably Splatoon), Wii U wasn't really a time of large-scale innovation from Nintendo's game development.

Last edited:
The tragic thing for WiiU stans is that 70% of the WiiU's exclusive library was stolen by the Switch and in many case made better. There are only a handful of true WiiU exclusives left, and only a handful of them do people really care about.

I miss the old Nintendo (back when they had a console nobody bought, was "dorky" to be into, and released Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash)

I think that Wii U fans remember the system fondly at first glance because there wasn't as much games to play, so each individual one stands out more. Nintendo rarely takes software breaks in the Switch era.

Take this year for example. We had Fire Emblem in January, Kirby and Metroid remakes in February, a Bayonetta spinoff in March, Advance Wars remake in April, Zelda in May, Pikmin remasters and Everybody's 1-2 Switch in June, and Pikmin 4 in July. We also had several DLC releases, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Future Redeemed, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course Pass, Splatoon 3 Inkopolis, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope Expansion Pass, and the Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass. I'm willing to bet a lot of people forgot about most of these.

Meanwhile, the Wii U had whole months at a time without anything, so you only had previously released games to play. Now you can remember every game because you spent months playing it.

The insane number of ports don't help either. The Wii U didn't have nearly as many outside of the virtual console. Some series also never got a new Switch iteration like Mario Kart and Donkey Kong, and some are just starting to get new games like Pikmin and 2D Mario.

Switch beats out the Wii U in terms of 1st Party creativity, I don't see how this is even a debate.

2008-2017 was generally creatively stale for many of Nintendo's IPs, and the Wii U-era was the peak of it:
  • NSMB and its aesthetic were run into the ground
  • 3D Land/3D World were less ambitious coming off Galaxy and carried the NSMB-aesthetic
  • Mario Party and Mario Sports games hit creative low points; Tennis Open and Ultra Smash were bland and underbaked. MP9 and 10 were bland and terrible. No RPG modes. No Strikers or Baseball. No console Mario Golf.
  • Paper Mario massively declined, particularly creatively, starting with Sticker Star
  • Skyward Sword made the 3D Zelda formula stale
  • Pokemon begun its decline with X/Y in 2013.
  • Many core series were dead or improperly treated: Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Advance Wars, Wario, etc.
  • Focus on lackluster spinoffs and 2D platformers with derivative aesthetics (Yoshi's New Island, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Triforce Heroes, Federation Force, Zip Lash, etc.).
  • DKC Returns/Tropical Freeze, while great games, were safer creatively compared to past entries.
Not all was bad. Highlights include: Pikmin coming back. The only original 2D Zelda in the last decade. Fantastic Punch-Out and Kid Icarus revivals. Splatoon. Mario Maker. Etc.

I would argue the Switch and it's first few years is the result of Nintendo struggling, as it was their answer to the Wii U's failure

Last edited:
Switch beats out the Wii U in terms of 1st Party creativity, I don't see how this is even a debate.

2008-2017 was generally creatively stale for many of Nintendo's IPs, and the Wii U-era was the peak of it:
  • NSMB and its aesthetic were run into the ground
  • 3D Land/3D World were less ambitious coming off Galaxy and carried the NSMB-aesthetic
  • Mario Party and Mario Sports games hit creative low points; Tennis Open and Ultra Smash were bland and underbaked. MP9 and 10 were bland and terrible. No RPG modes. No Strikers or Baseball. No console Mario Golf.
  • Paper Mario massively declined, particularly creatively, starting with Sticker Star
  • Skyward Sword made the 3D Zelda formula stale
  • Pokemon begun its decline with X/Y in 2013.
  • Many core series were dead or improperly treated: Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Advance Wars, Wario, etc.
  • Focus on lackluster spinoffs and 2D platformers with derivative aesthetics (Yoshi's New Island, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Triforce Heroes, Federation Force, Zip Lash, etc.).
  • DKC Returns/Tropical Freeze, while great games, were safer creatively compared to past entries.
Not all was bad. Highlights include: Pikmin coming back. The only original 2D Zelda in the last decade. Fantastic Punch-Out and Kid Icarus revivals. Splatoon. Mario Maker. Etc.

I would argue the Switch and it's first few years is the result of Nintendo struggling, as it was their answer to the Wii U's failure
Thank you for saying Pokémon started declining with XY, it often feels like the general public only noticed the decline with Sword and Shield and like, XY are a big dip in quality.

ORAS and Gen 7 may have been an improvement again and the reason why I still stayed with the series but the dip in quality continued right after.

Last edited:
Switch is doing fucking gangbusters and we got Ring Fit Adventure.

Nintendo creativity isn't a problem.

There's also an element of "I was into thing before it was cool!"
Yup. It's romanticized video game hipsterism. They don't like current Nintendo because it's no longer a niche opinion that they can use to indicate they have better taste than others, so... yeah, "I liked them before they were sellouts", but for vidya, is what this is. That's really all there is to it, from my perspective.

Last edited:

But for me, I like Nintendo the most when they are making fewer safe sequels and casual-bait games, and more for their hardcore audience. Whenever their sales drop, they pivot back to their core audience to stay afloat, and that suits me. It was the run of games from 2014-2017 that for me were the genesis of the modern Nintendo golden era, and for me those games were a direct result of their sales and marketing failures from 2010-2013 as a result of which they once again decided to lean in to making slightly more difficult games with less handholding and more gameplay depth for their core audience. It was an obvious pivot from how they were making/marketing games at end of the Wii era and how Wii U had been presented at its launch.

You raise a lot of good points but you lost me when you called TOTK "Safe, Jesus" as if TOTK is not the largest and most ambitious game Nintendo has ever created from a systems and sheer breadth of content pov. I would argue that using the same but completely modified multi-tiered Hyrule and banking so heavily on physics experimentation is anything but safe but it inevitably was only because they pulled it off (what many developers described as something akin to a miracle) with such polish and gusto.

You raise a lot of good points but you lost me when you called TOTK "Safe, Jesus" as if TOTK is not the largest and most ambitious game Nintendo has ever created from a systems and sheer breadth of content pov. I would argue that using the same but completely modified multi-tiered Hyrule and banking so heavily on physics experimentation is anything but safe but it inevitably was only because they pulled it off (what many developers described as something akin to a miracle) with such polish and gusto.
i dont see it as overly safe , but you could argue:
direct sequel to one of the biggest zelda games ever, so people are already invested in the characters and the world
adhering to BotWs structure to such a degree that it is almost comical

(in my opinion they did manage that miracle form a technological perspective, hats off to that, but as an overall experiences they missed the mark in my eyes)

The video is interesting because, overall, there isn't much to really disagree with him on a basic level. At least, not for me. He doesn't pretend that the Wii U wasn't a colossal failure. He doesn't pretend that the release schedule was great. He doesn't pretend that there were a slew of games that used the GamePad well. And his experience using the console matches mine: a lot of fun engaging with the Miiverse community, picking up titles you would never have thought of touching but ended up becoming favourites because of how games trickled in. Hell, we even share the same experience of it being the ultimate babysitting tool and 8-player Smash Bros. being awesome. I share a lot of the fondness for the system that he does. And I also share the awkward feeling of loving that so many Wii U games were ported to Switch, while also somewhat loathing that I have to pay full-price to experience some of the improvements or even entirely new modes they brought to the table. (Seriously, you couldn't sell Bowser's Fury as a standalone title on the eShop?) And yeah, the Switch's UI is horribly bland, the online infrastructure still being what it is remains a disappointment, and the retro library still has a ways to go before matching the Wii U, to say nothing of the Wii.

It took until the twenty minute mark for me to actually reach a take that I don't fully agree with -- Nintendo Directs suck now. He misses the slower pace and developer deep dive interviews, but I feel the later should be elsewhere as part of a game's marketing cycle (e.g. Ask the Developer) and a streamlined, rapid-fire pace is the ideal way to communicate all that the system has to offer in the near future.

Then there's the last ten minutes of the video, which is... I don't think Nintendo EPD's output has diminished in frequency any significant way: the only team that's been oddly MIA is the 3D Mario crew, and even then, they helped with Bowser's Fury. And quality-wise, the output is at least on par. (Though I guess that feeds into his thing that he feels the Switch doesn't feel like it surpasses the Wii U and its goals, only refines the concept.) I also have no idea what he's talking about when he says the local multiplayer and social nature of the device fails at living up to how Nintendo usually pushes couch play. Joy-Con drift doesn't necessarily ruin the idea that you can play a good chunk of games with two players right out of the box.

I do really like the final line in the video though: "A Nintendo that is challenged is one that delivers" is a more appealing and positive pivot on the usual "Nintendo needs to struggle to be creative" sentiment.

Last edited:
The video is interesting because, overall, there isn't much to really disagree with him on a basic level. At least, not for me. He doesn't pretend that the Wii U wasn't a colossal failure. He doesn't pretend that the release schedule was great. He doesn't pretend that there were a slew of games that used the GamePad well. And his experience using the console matches mine: a lot of fun engaging with the Miiverse community, picking up titles you would never have thought of touching but ended up becoming favourites because of how games trickled in. Hell, we even share the same experience of it being the ultimate babysitting tool and 8-player Smash Bros. being awesome. I share a lot of the fondness for the system that he does. And I also share the awkward feeling of loving that so many Wii U games were ported to Switch, while also somewhat loathing that I have to pay full-price to experience some of the improvements or even entirely new modes they brought to the table. (Seriously, you couldn't sell Bowser's Fury as a standalone title on the eShop?) And yeah, the Switch's UI is horribly bland, the online infrastructure still being what it is remains a disappointment, and the retro library still has a ways to go before matching the Wii U, to say nothing of the Wii.

It took until the twenty minute mark for me to actually reach a take that I don't fully agree with -- Nintendo Directs suck now. He misses the slower pace and developer deep dive interviews, but I feel the later should be elsewhere as part of a game's marketing cycle (e.g. Ask the Developer) and a streamlined, rapid-fire pace is the ideal way to communicate all that the system has to offer in the near future.

Then there's the last ten minutes of the video, which is... I don't think Nintendo EPD's output has diminished in frequency any significant way: the only team that's been oddly MIA is the 3D Mario crew, and even then, they helped with Bowser's Fury. And quality-wise, the output is at least on par. (Though I guess that feeds into his thing that he feels the Switch doesn't feel like it surpasses the Wii U and its goals, only refines the concept.) I also have no idea what he's talking about when he says the local multiplayer and social nature of the device fails at living up to how Nintendo usually pushes couch play. Joy-Con drift doesn't necessarily ruin the idea that you can play a good chunk of games with two players right out of the box.

I do really like the final line in the video though: "A Nintendo that is challenged is one that delivers" is a more appealing and positive pivot on the usual "Nintendo needs to struggle to be creative" sentiment.
I dont think people remember how slow the Wii U interface was. Is character really more important than that?

Also it really only Nintendo consoles that people seem to care about this with. The ps5 and Xbox series x interfaces are nothing special either besides putting images on them

Last edited:
I dont think people remember how slow the Wii U interface was. Is character really more important than that?
Aww, hell no. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd take the snappiest of the Switch UI over the slow, but pretty Wii U. I just wish there was a middle ground... plus, the Switch eShop is just as slow and less pretty.

I think the best way to look at ToTK for me is that it's absolutely not safe at all from a dev standpoint (the devs said this themselves and I'm inclined to agree) since it's a lot harder to reuse the same world and make it interesting than it would be to just make a new world. But despite that it still can feel pretty similar to BoTW a lot of the time, which can be easily conflated with it being "safe"

Think that it's a false correlation. Some people also have said that about music, that struggle brings forth creativity or something along those lines. Think that the best things come forth out of comfortable environments, where heads are calm and clear.

Here's a peak wiiu revisionism vs Switch reality

Many people will tell you Mario Maker was a "bigger deal" on the WiiU then it's sequel on the Switch. However MM2 has sold 2x the copies of the original, has a larger community of level creators and players, and got far more substantial updated then MM1 ever did. The difference is that MM1 came out when the WiiU audience was starved for content, so a game that provided infinite content kept the hardcore gaming community engaged longer. MM2 came out to a far more stacked console, so the hardcore community played it for a month and then moved onto the next thing because we're collectively cult of the new sheep.

This is the same mindset that lead to MVG and Nate on their podcast talking about "TotK feels like it came and went" because for the cult of the new gamers, TotK was the game for a month and then Diablo 4, SF6, and Final Fantasy 16 all came out a month later.
Wait that was actually said by them on their latest podcast?

Nintendo were creative to make the Virtual Boy during the heydays of the SNES, and we all know how that did. And then Nintendo DS came out during a time when the GBA wasn't unsuccessful, and would've continued well into the 2000s, and potentially 2010s with a successor had the DS not sold well.

On the flipside, the failure of the Wii U forced Nintendo to merge their divisions, and create the Switch.

So it should really read as: Nintendo is creative regardless of past successes, or failures.

I think there have been times when Nintendo was creative while struggling, thinking of the many outstanding games released/published during the Gamecube era. But I think that was more due to the initial approach they took during that generation considering that it takes years to develop those games and consoles. All their failing systems died pretty fast and brutal deaths and went out without much fanfare or creativity, rather releasing a lot of mid games and 5 Mario Party games to fill drearily empty release schedules.

Right now they are doing better than ever and for the most part I am really loving what they doing. The last Nintendo system that got such a constant stream of great games for a long time was probably the SNES. And while there may have not been that many new IPs, they have rarely ever been more creative with existing IPs than now.

It's a lie people tell themselves to prop up their fandom for specific consoles that didn't do as well sales-wise. It's also incredibly insulting to the devs during every other console's life.

Somewhat long list but I just want to visualize the 2 gens they’re comparing comparing I’m also not including the ds cause I don’t want to type for another 5 mintues but the ds had its most creative game in Rusty’s real deal baseball, which is pretty good but it’s something that’s more “look at how creative this concept is” than something I would remember at the end of the gen as a standout title.

Wii U:
New super Mario bros U
Pikmin 3
Smash 4
Mario kart 8
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Mario tennis Ultra Smash
Animal crossing Amiibo Festival
Star fox Zero
Xenoblade X
Mario 3d World
Donkey Mong Tropical Freeze
New super Lugi U
Breath of the Wild
Yoshis wooly world
Game and wario

Switch:
Breath of the wild (the wii u’s lucky I’m even counting it)
Mario kart 8 deluxe (more than doubled content, counting as a nee game)
Splatoon 2
Arms
1 2 switch
Splatoon 3
Mario maker 2
Fire emblem 3 houses
Lugis mansion 3
Animal crossing new horizons
Pikmin 4
Metroid dread
Pokémon legends arceus
Kirby and the forgotten land
Kirby star alleis
Mario party superstars
Ring fit adventure
Xenoblade 2
Xenoblade 3
Smash bros Ultimate
Tears of the kingdom
Yoshis crafted World
Warioware Get it together
Mario tennis aces
Mario golf super rush
51 clubhouse games
Age of calamity
Stretchers
Snipperclips
Sushi Strikers
Pokémon violet
Mario and Rabbids
Mario and Rabbids 2
Mario wonder
Mario rpg remake
That destruction game I’m forgetting the name of.

I genuially don’t understand why the wii u was vastly more creative than the switch. The wii u era was defined by iterative sequels that tried to become as homogenous as possible to maintain a safe brand. Meanwhile the switch era has been about breaking away form that and reigniting a series to keep it relevant, look at 2d Mario, look at Kirby going 3d, Pokémon open world, animal crossing introducing so many things that weren’t in old games, new aesthetics in splatoon to further push it into having its own unique identity with its worlds backstory, pikmin 4 being an evolution and culmination of all games in the series.

I know I’m not including a lot for both but with the wii u it’s slim pickings for what remains, meanwhile I’m sure I can list at least 15 more swtich exclusive, most of which are likely more creative than more than 90% of the things on the wii u.

It’s blind nostalgia talking, a gaming companies personality is irrelevant to what it produces, so even if the personality is gone it would be a lie to say Nintendo has not been evolving and changing in many creative ways more than ever now.

For my personal tastes I was actually more worried about Nintendo during the Wii U and 3DS era. The Wii U never became a central part of my gaming like the Switch has.

After watching this I feel like the video is a very subjective take on events. It is largely a love letter to the Wii U without outright denying that it was a failure. However where I really start to take issue is that the conclusion and thread title is born from that alone and it never even dives into how he came to it. As someone who adored the Gamecube but never took much of a liking to Wii U, I simply can't say I agree.

I'm not saying there are no good points, but another point he brings is that indie games on Switch aren't really interesting because of the Steam Deck. I think under realistic scrutiny a lot of what he's saying easily falls apart. So while there may be some insights in there, I don't think it comes with much objectivity.

Last edited:
It always been this case with Nintendo hardcore fanbase since GameCube days lol.

GC era: I don't like all these kiddy looking games. i miss N64 era where Nin used to make Grownups games.

Wii era: I don't like all these non-gamers/casuals games. I miss GC days when Nin used to make hardcore games

Wii U era: We have no games and the Wii U gimmick is boring. I miss the Wii days when Nin used to make more games and have interesting motion based games.

And now here we are 🤷
At least the cubeez and the wiibs made quantifiable claims since the GC had more single player "core" titles than its successor, while the Wii had more games than the WiiU. It's really funny that when the WiiU memberberries get to present their arguments to the class it's some elusive crap like "personality", weaponizing a man's death, and an olympic display of mental gymnastics that borders on gaslighting their audience.

This wave of Switch bad, WiiU good videos is going to age really good in a few years.

I do think hard circumstances can foster creativity. But Nintendo has shown they can also be creative when they are thriving commercially.

And when it comes to companies, it's arguable workers have more space to be creative when things are going well, because if money is tight upper management is unlikely to greenlight radically new ideas.

what's with all these weird dudes fixated on a company's personality smh
Yeah. I've always disagreed with having a sort of parasocial relationship with a corporation. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, I've been since I was 9 or 10 years old, but I know that I shouldn't treat them more than what it is: a corporation trying to make money by selling products I'm hugely interested in. I care more about said products and the circumstances regarding them (like development/marketing/promotions) than whatever personality the corporation decides to have in the current year. A silly puppet show wouldn't convice me to buy a subpar product, no matter how cute and how well done the puppets were. A nice e-shop with cute music wouldn't make me buy an overpriced game with little content.

I watched the video in its entirety and while I cannot say I disagree with every single point of his I do feel like a lot of his points are nitpicky (like praising a lot of Wii U games while intentionally omitting games like Amiibo Festival or Star Fox Zero), some points ammount literally to personal preferences (like how he felt more "connected" to a community in Miiverse compared to Twitter), and there are some points where I think his priorities were definitely different to mine, or even to most of Nintendo fans. Like, he dedicates more time about themes and miiverse than talking about the actual quality of the games.

And this is all coming from someone who doesn't hate the Wii U, in fact I regret not having owned it back in its heyday.

Anytime people claim Nintendo at their lowest points is “true Nintendo” it’s always:
A) Purposefully being a contrarian
B) Nostalgia with zero memory of the content droughts
C) Bad taste

Nintendo has always made great games every generation, but I can’t take these “they lost their soul” opinions seriously.
It's funny how Nostalgia blinded so many people. I grew up playing with the N64 and it will always have a place in my heart, but in hindsight it had many problems and except some huge masterpieces the library was lacking. I love my switch, and I don't doubt that in 20 years I will be nostalgic about it, but I won't use that nostalgia to put down whatever consoles are out at that time. I will always remember the downsides and problems the switch had.

Aww, hell no. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd take the snappiest of the Switch UI over the slow, but pretty Wii U. I just wish there was a middle ground... plus, the Switch eShop is just as slow and less pretty.
Every time I remember trying to access the menu while I was playing the Wii U version of BOTW and trying to get back to the game makes me shudder internally. And now that most Wii U services are down half of the console is just designed around dead services that only work to make everything slower.

Even the handling of BC and VC is questionable. For the former, you had to restart your console just to play Wii games, lacking the snappy Wii-style VC where if you wanted to play a GC game you just put it in and presto!. For the latter, NES, SNES and N64 games look really bad on the Wii U, especially compared to the NSO versions of the same games. And I also disagree on how smaller, more niche releases in NSO are seen like padding while they are seen as hidden gems in the Wii U VC.

I'm not saying there are no good points, but another point he brings is that indie games on Switch aren't really interesting because of the Steam Deck. I think under realistic scrutiny a lot of what he's saying easily falls apart. So while there may be some insights in there, I don't think it comes with much objectivity.
Even setting aside the sales argument, which I wouldn't know why would you set it aside considering that the difference in sales makes the Steam Deck waaay more niche, the two products target a completely different demographic. Does he really think that if you refused to offer the switch, the average joe that just wants to give his children something to play videogames would buy a steam deck, tinker with it, install emulators and going through all the hassle of ensuring every game works perfectly for the device? That is ridiculous.

Focusing on the hardcore minority while turning your back on the majority of your consumer base is not only a horrible business decision, but also a move that would betray the vast majority of your fans, which apparently don't matter to him. As long as he gets to toss them aside in order to make his nostalgia-driven criticism seem valid, that is.

Would you call Luigi's Mansion 3 creative? Or Kirby Star Allies? Or Switch Sports? Mario Kart 8 DX? Splatoon 3? Mario Maker 2? Smash Ultimate? Mario Golf Super Rush?
Out of the games you mentioned, Splatoon 2/3, Mario kart 8DX+DLC, Mario maker 2, Smash Ultimate and Luigi's mansion 3 are huge step-ups from its predecessors both in content and quality, even if people disagree with some details. Yes, they are creative because they managed to do things that their predecessors didn't, even if the predecessor laid the foundation. Same thing applies for other games you didn't mention, like Metroid Dread, Pikmin 4.

And even besides that I think BOTW/TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Pokemon Legends Arceus, Pokemon SV (sans the bugs), ARMS, Ring Fit adventure, Labo are extremely creative and none of those relied on earlier games nor were sequels. I love 3D world to hell and back, but Mario Odyssey is in another league with regards to creativity and grandeur. And no 3DS Pokemon game is as creative gameplay wise as Legend Arceus, in fact, it's the biggest shakeup of the pokemon formula since forever.

Out of the games you mentioned, Splatoon 2/3, Mario kart 8DX+DLC, Mario maker 2, Smash Ultimate and Luigi's mansion 3 are huge step-ups from its predecessors both in content and quality, even if people disagree with some details. Yes, they are creative because they managed to do things that their predecessors didn't, even if the predecessor laid the foundation. Same thing applies for other games you didn't mention, like Metroid Dread, Pikmin 4.

They're a step up in terms of quality and content, sure, but inventing Splatoon or Mario Maker from scratch during the Wii U days earns them more creativity points than putting out sequels to those games, in my opinion. Obviously later instalments have more features, that goes without saying for any game. Look, all Nintendo games are creative, but we should be looking at things in relative terms.

Ignoring MK8DX DLC and Smash Ultimate + Game Freak's Pokemon games, the Switch's 7 years on the market still did a ton of innovative stuff too, like you mention, ARMS, Labo, Ring Fit, BOTW/TOTK, but there's also been a lot of safe, iterative sequels and underwhelming sports games too.

Back
Top Bottom