• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News a new pal will be added to palworld

I don't think anyone expected any different seeing as it's basically the whole premise of the game which made it popular in the first place.

I don't think anyone expected any different seeing as it's basically the whole premise of the game which made it popular in the first place.
yeah but i thought after the controversy they will lean more to the designs aesthetics of the more unique and original pals

v189vNk.png

Why would they try any harder? Unless a legal ruling comes about that such blatant plagiarism isn't acceptable we should expect to see a lot more of this in the future than otherwise.
Exactly my thoughts. Why would they try harder? They have been rewarded for art plagiarism. The lesson they learned is to keep plagiarizing.

Is there any other game in history with a faster fall from grace than this?
It was the biggest thing in the internet for only 10 days and now barely mentioned anywhere online.
What are you smoking? That aint a fall from grace those are very good numbers look at something like Suicide Squad and Redfall number which had a bigger budget than this and marketing push than this.

Its fair to criticize the game with its models and art assets pretty much on par with Pokemon but saying or eluding the game is a flop is just downright not accurate.

Those are still really good numbers, don't know what you're trying to prove.
Playercount has been dropping steadily for months without finding an “equilibrium.” In a vacuum those current numbers are still good of course, but it’s been one of the most massive declines in player count I’ve ever seen on SteamDB (percentage-wise).

Playercount has been dropping steadily for months without finding an “equilibrium.” In a vacuum those current numbers are still good of course, but it’s been one of the most massive declines in player count I’ve ever seen on SteamDB (percentage-wise).
It seems to have settled on around 30k going by SteamDB (for some weird reason SteamCharts is missing the January history).

It's not a bad result and probably more inline with what a game like this can expect for a long tail now that the inflated hype has died down. It's a heavy drop, but keep in mind that Palworld was in the top 5 of concurrently played Steam games - the drop would always have been ludicrous percentagewise. Kinda goes to show that outliers can mess with percentages pretty badly.

(Unrelated to Palworld: I was looking at other "hype boost" popularity indie games with a long tail and somehow in spite of being a massive hypetrain, FNAF never had more than a couple hundred players each month on Steam )

Those bangs of hair are obvious, but it looks nothing like those Pokémon besides being a fox with multiple tails like Ninetales.

There are other "heavily inspired" designs, but this one isn't it imo.

You must be kidding me.

They copied even the feet colouring and pattern.

It seems to have settled on around 30k going by SteamDB (for some weird reason SteamCharts is missing the January history).
I’m gonna have to disagree with the “settled” part - outside of the temporary gain from a big patch a few weeks ago, the game has been dropping fairly steadily percentage-wise with no real “settling.” If nothing changes, I expect it to be peaking below 20k in a month and 10k in two months.

We’ll see of course.

They could have invented another take on the idea of the nine-tailed fox. After all, mythology doesn't belong to pokemon.

Instead they made Ninetales, but with three tails, so it's less obvious the inspiration was Ninetales (but accidentally more obvious it wasn't the nine-tailed-fox of mythology as there'd be no reason to change the number of tails), and design elements lifted off Glaceon laid over the top.

So sad, if you search #fakemon on twitter you’ll find a lot of excellent artists who could’ve been hired to make real art, not this plagiarism :-/

They could have invented another take on the idea of the nine-tailed fox. After all, mythology doesn't belong to pokemon.

Instead they made Ninetales, but with three tails, so it's less obvious the inspiration was Ninetales (but accidentally more obvious it wasn't the nine-tailed-fox of mythology as there'd be no reason to change the number of tails), and design elements lifted off Glaceon laid over the top.
to be honest kitsune or fox spirits can have any number of tails between 1 and 9

What are you smoking? That aint a fall from grace those are very good numbers look at something like Suicide Squad and Redfall number which had a bigger budget than this and marketing push than this.

Its fair to criticize the game with its models and art assets pretty much on par with Pokemon but saying or eluding the game is a flop is just downright not accurate.
Huh?
When did I say it flopped? It has sold like 15 millions copies.
But it does have the fastest fall from grace popularity-wise like ever.
It went from pokemon killer and a gaming industry saviour to a a regular game in literally two weeks.

huh and here I thought they were gonna use that money to hire artists and modelers. guess not. plagiarize away and hope your dwindling fanbase likes pokemon with the serial numbers filed off.

to be honest kitsune or fox spirits can have any number of tails between 1 and 9

Oops, I mistakenly thought the developers of Palworld were chinese, not japanese, so that's where my mind leapt mythology-wise. Although, isn't it the link between white fur and a high number of tails also very strong with kitsunes?

One would think that given the resources they now have, they'd stop ripping Pokemon designs off and move on to creating their own. But the whole thing is paying off handsomely with no consequences, so why stop?

Also:

giphy.gif

Another thing Palworld has in common with Pokemon is that they are both getting all the hate

Yeah but to be fair most people aren't gonna know that unless they read Megatokyo

"Play lots of games, try different games, and frequently flick through indie libraries to find hidden gems... and then blatantly rip them all off."

Shocking that after making squillions blatantly ripping off Pokemon designs, they're just carrying on doing that.

Yeah but to be fair most people aren't gonna know that unless they read Megatokyo

"Play lots of games, try different games, and frequently flick through indie libraries to find hidden gems... and then blatantly rip them all off."
i never heard about magatokyo and i started reading manga at 15 more than 8 years ago what is this anyway?

I'm not rewarding a lack of creativity when money talks.

That's more on the nose than Gonzo. Just Instagram a middle finger and an arrow pointing to "artists" in sharpie at this point.

Hidden gems like this?

GEfnRlfXAAAQWSU
To be fair, there are various games that are clearly heavily inspired in movement and/or visuals by HK. (like Never Grave, or Crowsworn, or Gleamlight).

Thing is, those games are deriviative, in that they are their own creative work, that’s at least original art even if it’s copying some of the notes of something else. And HK is a huge, beloved game in the indie scene- why wouldn’t there be shitloads of games taking inspiration from it, in the same way that Mario spawned imitators, tons of animal mascot platformers followed Sonic, and loads of extremely good indie games ride a nostalgia wave for genre-codifiers or highlights from the 8-bit/16-bit era. Blazing Chrome is essentially Contra III down to its jump arc, Infernax is essentially Castlevania 2, Battle Princess Madeline is essentially Ghouls and Ghosts, Wargroove is fantasy Advance Wars, The Takeover is Streets of Rage. Popular games get imitators, some more immediately deriviative, some a few years later, some decades later.

Original games deriviative of HK aren’t the same thing as outright asset theft of character skeletons and reskinning designs. In the same way that just being a monster collecting game inspired by Pokémon (or DQ Monsters), or a run-and-gun game inspired by Contra isn’t plagiarism, it’s being part of a genre.

It’s like, Fenix Rising takes obvious notes from BotW’s lush colour palette and sense of freedom. But what it’s not doing is just reskinning Zelda’s bestiary.

TLDR: not every game that looks like a recent very popular game is plagiarism, and even the difference between deriviative and expanding the genre is usually a matter of the quality of the execution rather than how close the visuals are. Gleamlight was a very poor game even if at first glance at a screenshot, you’d think ‘that’s HK with stained glass in the art direction’.

Last edited:
i never heard about magatokyo and i started reading manga at 15 more than 8 years ago what is this anyway?
I started reading Megatokyo at 15 around.. uh.. 24 years ago. 😅

It's an American webcomic made by an old-school manga fan about him and a friend getting stranded in Tokyo and having to figure their way around life there. His character's experiences end up mimicking dramatic dating sims and his friend's experiences end up mimicking wild scifi/fantasy action games, and neither of them really believe/understand the shit the other is going through because they're essentially living two different genres. It pays loving homage to a metric ton of anime/game tropes and the artist is an architect so the Tokyo backdrops and panel composition are legit as hell. Dunno how much impact it'd have to go through it nowadays but back in the day before anime was popular in the west it was a pretty big deal for us to have a really well-made comic that was basically a western fan's self-insert fantasy. And he's still putting out new chapters.

It seems they still using the AI monster generator that trained with Pokemon models without permission, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom