• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO NES, SNES, GB for September 2023 (Kirby's Star Stacker, Joy Mech Fight, Kunio-kun Field Day, Quest For Camelot) out now!

Quest For Camelot is an awesome nostalgia hit. I have no idea why I bought it in my early teens, but remember it being good fun.

I was always interested in Quest for Camelot because it seemed very similar to Link's Awakening (basically like a rip off) so now that is free I might as well try it.

Quest for Camelot? That is uhhh not a game i expect to stay up on the service. Unless WB gives that little of a damn.

So with Kirby Super Star Stacker, that means Sattleview games are viable?

Quest For Camelot? Who found that buried in cobwebs and thought it was worth preserving?
The only thing I remember about that movie is that it was inexplicably the origin of the song "The Prayer" which was completely inescapable for years afterward.

The movie... uhhh... it had a dragon in it as comic relief? I think?

The only thing I remember about that movie is that it was inexplicably the origin of the song "The Prayer" which was completely inescapable for years afterward.

The movie... uhhh... it had a dragon in it as comic relief? I think?
A two headed dragon good sir!

Quest For Camelot has poor ratings
To be fair most licensed GB games back then did, on virtue of being GB games. At least when they ever got reviews.

Even the GBA licensed catalogue gets rough reviews and many of those are surprisingly decent.

Quest for Camelot? That is uhhh not a game i expect to stay up on the service. Unless WB gives that little of a damn.

So with Kirby Super Star Stacker, that means Sattleview games are viable?
IIRC So far there hasnt been a single game removed from NSO. I dont think Nintendo would go through the trouble of such a weird obscure pull like this if they didnt atleast have it in perpetuity for the service.

this may be the weakest update for me since uh... the bad update when we just got donkey kong 3. But that's because I'm an importer who's playing both JMF and Star Stacker on JP NSO and would have dropped for EN vers... If these games were translated. Like, cmon, they didn't even translate the text in JMF or star stacker?!?! That seems oddly weird and I don't think the average kid will be like me and can naturally read the menu commands in those games. You kinda need text knowledge to know how to get around JMF and which mode kirby has.

Also huge WTF at Quest for Camelot since of any Nintendo game on GBC that would be like, bottom 5 in stuff I never expected to come back. At this rate fuck it, gimme the little mermaid pinball game as that's dope and also Pokemon Pinball with the anime BGM song is absolutely viable

It's so weird to me how quickly the GB games outside of the "pre-announced roadmap" reached the same "what are the cheapest 3rd party games we can license" level as NES and SNES.

Like, I was optimistic when that first March update added Dream Land 2; that was a pleasant surprise that gave me hope the non-Color GB games at least could just show up unannounced in random updates. But fast-forward 6 months and they're adding Quest for Camelot while they're still sitting on 1st party stuff like Mario Land, DK '94, Mole Mania, and Wario Land, and that's just kinda baffling to me.

It's so weird to me how quickly the GB games outside of the "pre-announced roadmap" reached the same "what are the cheapest 3rd party games we can license" level as NES and SNES.

Like, I was optimistic when that first March update added Dream Land 2; that was a pleasant surprise that gave me hope the non-Color GB games at least could just show up unannounced in random updates. But fast-forward 6 months and they're adding Quest for Camelot while they're still sitting on 1st party stuff like Mario Land, DK '94, Mole Mania, and Wario Land, and that's just kinda baffling to me.
You'd rather they blow all their good titles in 3 months and leave the service with nothing to look forward to?

this may be the weakest update for me since uh... the bad update when we just got donkey kong 3. But that's because I'm an importer who's playing both JMF and Star Stacker on JP NSO and would have dropped for EN vers... If these games were translated. Like, cmon, they didn't even translate the text in JMF or star stacker?!?! That seems oddly weird and I don't think the average kid will be like me and can naturally read the menu commands in those games. You kinda need text knowledge to know how to get around JMF and which mode kirby has.

Also huge WTF at Quest for Camelot since of any Nintendo game on GBC that would be like, bottom 5 in stuff I never expected to come back. At this rate fuck it, gimme the little mermaid pinball game as that's dope and also Pokemon Pinball with the anime BGM song is absolutely viable
That Little Mermaid Pinball game, was no joke, my kryptonite back in the day. I loved it so much.

While we're at it bring Mickey's Racing Adventure!

I'll give the games a run at some point, but this is definitely a bunch of deep cuts. Outside of maybe the Kirby game, I don't think any of us expected these lol.

Sucks a bit that they couldn't localize some of the text in these imports, but then again, they're probably being added to NSO precisely because you can still figure out how to play them without an English translation. I'm just happy they're willing to put these games on the service. And I include Quest for Camelot as part of that: even random-ass licensed games deserve some love.

I am wondering alongside the rest of you when the next "big" drop is, though.

I'll give the games a run at some point, but this is definitely a bunch of deep cuts. Outside of maybe the Kirby game, I don't think any of us expected these lol.
The Kunio sports game is just weird since there are other English titles in the series they've not put on NSO yet.

If they were going to sublicense a game WB owns rights over, I can think of like 50 I'd have rather seen. Like all those Sunsoft and Konami Batman games. Or Sunsoft's Gremlins 2. Or all the old Midway/Williams properties across like everything (Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Spy Hunter, Robotron, Rampage, Mortal Kombat, San Francisco Rush, etc).

You'd rather they blow all their good titles in 3 months and leave the service with nothing to look forward to?
Yes, actually. I hate the drip feed of collections I've built up on other consoles and would much rather have them all right away.

Though, it wouldn't make as much business sense, so I'm not saying they should do it that way. Just that I would prefer it to waiting for months to get sporadic updates.

Sneak preview of the November Gameboy update
page-master__26669.1682630549.jpg

The videogame obscura that pops up on NSO is one of the best things about it imo. Really need them to get to that level for N64 and GBA already.

Wow this is such a nice win for every platform except GB. I'm always so pleased when they give import games official releases, and been hoping Star Stacker would get its day for a long time. Still so many big weird gaping holes in the GB library, it's not even close to the point where they should scrape the bottom barrel like this, we're still missing Marios, Warios, and ALL the DK games.

Getting Joy Mech Fight outside of JP is a nice pick up.

Really? The Kunio game at least had a localized version on the Kunio collection. I wonder why they didn't use that?
I think those are doing the localization via scripting in the emulators. Something NSO likely won’t ever do.

Edit: Also, the Kunio Field Day game is fairly popular in JP so getting it on NSO makes a lot of sense. Could also be ArcSys is prepping to finally get the remake off PS3/Steam and this would be a small way to build hype for it.

I'm not expecting them to drop the whole dang library at once, but the GB(C) spanned from 1989 to 2001, so that's over a decade worth of games they can pull from. I just think there's gotta be a middle ground between burning through all the good stuff in 3 month, and not adding even a single Gameboy Mario game since the initial GB NSO launch roughly half a year ago.

I get if they want to keep some bigger games, especially GBC titles, as "event games" that they lay out a roadmap for ahead of time, like they do with N64 and GBA. But we're going on 6 months and they've added one Nintendo-published non-Color game (Kirby's Dream Land 2) and that just seems kinda wild to me when GB games are still so new to NSO and there's still so much untapped potential.

Like, heck, at least throw something like X or another Game&Watch Gallery in one of these random updates, y'know? Surely those aren't being saved so they can be the "game of the month" or whatever, right?

We are barely a year into the GB NSO app and those games are all ready showing up. Hate it here

Now that we're getting Titus developed Warner games, it's time for Nintendo to give us what we want!

images
oh no! kids will witness the horror of Superman 64, Nintendo dont you carry for your fans metal health?

Joy Mech Fight! That's a quirky yet fun 2D fighting game.

I only played it on the Famicom NSO over all of these years.

Personally? I honestly would prefer that, lol. The drip feed is tiring, i'd rather start with as much of the library as they can initially licence at once. I understand why the drip feed is their strategy; they want this service to last well onto the next hardware; but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

I'm super happy with Star Stacker and Joy Mech Fight being made accessible to more people, the Kunio game is neat too (it was already released internationally in a collection though); but Quest for Camelot is... something else. It is Nintendo published but... was the effort really worth it for Quest for Camelot? If Warner licenced Titus games are fine how soon until they go for Superman 64?

I really hope Nintendo starts releasing exclusively shovelware on NSO for EVERY console after a few years. Like bring in super man 64, mortal kombat for the GB, and stuff like that

By the way Joy Mech Fight RULES and everyone should play it if they haven't already

Back
Top Bottom