• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

NSO NSO NES, SNES, GB for September 2023 (Kirby's Star Stacker, Joy Mech Fight, Kunio-kun Field Day, Quest For Camelot) out now!

MAN, I kinda love the randomness of this batch!

Joy Mech Fight is finally "international" (kinda?), and Quest for Camelot? sure, why not? a licensed title that Nintendo published back in the day.. maybe Mickey's Speedway USA might have a chance..

Also, interesting they didn't use the name "Kirby's SUPER Star Stacker" here, as it was usually how people refered to the SNES version of that game.

Thinking about if Japan will get Games that are on the western NSO.
I'm not sure if they want to play The Immortal or Jelly Boy.

Alright I give up, we're never getting StarTropics II. :(
We’ll probably get it someday when Japan gets a Japanese-exclusive Famicom game like Mahjong or something. There are still a fair amount of first-party NES/Famicom games that are oddly missing, and I’d expect pretty much all of them to be added eventually.

I wonder if they won't release the GB Star Stacker now that they have the SNES one
Considering the amount of localisation (read lack thereof) this release needed, I wonder if they’re ever going to give us some of the Satellaview stuff that doesn’t require translation, like BS F-Zero or Excitebike Mario Stadium.

i'm a bit late here, but i also looked into the Kunio-Kun game.

for some inexplicable reason Rockstar thought this was going to be their big IP for several years, with multiple projects planned such as a racing game and two further mini-game collections on the Game Boy Color.

thankfully Grand Theft Auto III eventually arrived and got them out of that bizzare dark age. (though the two remaining GBC games eventually resurfaced in the Gigaleak)

that would be part of the same deal which spawned the classic Goldeneye N64 game, but the only issue is that Rare didn't develop it. Saffire (who no longer exists) did.
it's probably doable now that they got the N64 game, but there would still need to be some negotiating done.

Nintendo even wanted to release a James Bond game on the Virtual Boy, but very little is known about it.

Random mention for NSO specifically as I didn't look into that collection:
Only N64 uses Lua scripts for hacking, all the other emulators instead rely on patching and hacks contained in the emulator itself.

I consider that GB James Bond game to not necessarily be unlikely now.
OOTL, is this a new asset they made or they just swapped for a redone box art that already existed?
Pretty sure they reused Namco's redone box art from one of their collections at this point.
I wonder if they won't release the GB Star Stacker now that they have the SNES one
We got the entire Super Mario Advance series so I don't really rule it out, but I'm still waiting for the SNES version of Wario's Woods, and heck, many others now.
Considering the amount of localisation (read lack thereof) this release needed, I wonder if they’re ever going to give us some of the Satellaview stuff that doesn’t require translation, like BS F-Zero or Excitebike Mario Stadium.
I disagree honestly. They should at least translate the menus (on which I see tons of ways to do it from efforts to relatively effortless ways to do it), especially for games like Joy Mech Fight where you can easily ignore pretty important parts.
There are games that don't really need anything like Umihara Kawase if they ever put that game in western SNES NSO, but at least most Satellaview games don't really need work.
But for that, Nintendo has to be interested to release Satellaview games in the first place, which they have never really done aside from a BS Fire Emblem remake. (Where's Special Tee Shot, Nintendo?)

Joy Mech and Kunio are amazing surprises i didn't expect at all, but i can't help but to share the general feeling that they should have been localized beforehand. As authentic as it can be to have them untranslated, it substracts from the experience, full stop.

Satellaview stuff is the dream. I mean, we got some SEGA Channel exclusive love, right? Hopefully still more to come on that front, including licensed games now that those are on the table and that Garfield game's exclusive levels are still lost to time. I guess it might be harder to get stuff like the streamed high quality audio for NSO's current emulation, but hopefully Nintendo could sort that out.

Random mention for NSO specifically as I didn't look into that collection:
Only N64 uses Lua scripts for hacking, all the other emulators instead rely on patching and hacks contained in the emulator itself.
ah.
i specfically remember getting that info from your tweets. but i wasn't sure if it was solely an N64 thing.

ah.
i specfically remember getting that info from your tweets. but i wasn't sure if it was solely an N64 thing.

All NSO apps uses NERD's UI engine which uses Lua, but that doesn't mean Lua scripts for hacking games is implemented, only N64 does that because that's how iQue decided to roll it. But every other emulator have patches and other hacks inside the emulator directly and does this stuff at runtime.

Back
Top Bottom