• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News 35 minute Pokemon Presents August 8th at 6 am PDT

My expectations:
100% sure, basically locked in:
Pokemon Go news
Pokemon Masters news
Pokemon Detective Pikachu Returns news
Pokemon Unite news (probably Meowscarada)
Pokemon Scarlet/Violet DLC news
Mewtwo Tera raid in Pokemon Scarlet/Violet
Mew distribution in Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

Probably happening, not 100% sure:
Pokemon Sleep news (feels a bit soon)
Pokemon TCG news

Maybe happening:
Pokemon Horizons anime news
Pokemon Concierge news

Probably not happening:
New Mystery Dungeon game (or remake)
Retro Pokemon games on NSO/eShop
New spinoff game announced

Absolutely not happening:
New mainline game announced (remake, experimental or gen 10 not happening either way)

Can we have a gen 2 game on Switch?
I don't care if it's let go or hgss hd or ilca remake or whatever, just give me gen 2.
And no I don't want the original games on NSO, I loved crystal but it's borderline unplayable now.

Honestly I will be incredibly impressed if they manage to have the longest Pokemon Presents/direct ever and manage to not announce a single new game.

The best I can hope for is mainline Pokémon games on NSO. Next mainline game/remake to be announced early 2024.

This presentation will be a huge amount on mobile games and dlc. Meh

I also think there is a good chance we get more info on release dates for GBC tcg and pokemon stadium 2 for NSO. An even better scenario is we get some of the mainline Gens on NSO, I would like Gens 1-3 but I would be happy with just Gen 1.

I could see them maybe doing a tease of the next generation at the end, but I believe that this will be besides mon gaming stuff and the mobile game updates the Detective Pikachu Presentation. Including an official announcement of the rumored Detective Pikachu 2 movie.

Honestly I will be incredibly impressed if they manage to have the longest Pokemon Presents/direct ever and manage to not announce a single new game.
To be fair, both the longest Presents we have on record so far both had no new games announced (And then randomly we had Detective Pikachu 2 rise from the grave out of nowhere in a regular Nintendo Direct instead)

So who knows. This one is a whole is a whole 8 minutes longer than even the longest one previously, so they'll fill it up with something

I also think there is a good chance we get more info on release dates for GBC tcg and pokemon stadium 2 for NSO. An even better scenario is we get some of the mainline Gens on NSO, I would like Gens 1-3 but I would be happy with just Gen 1.
They're definitely not mentioning the GBC TCG game, and Stadium 2 would only be mentioned in relation to GSC. A Pokémon spin-off releasing on NSO just isn't very significant news and would get announced in the normal channels for NSO releases. It's the mainline games or features that integrate with them that would be significant enough to get a mention. Either that or like, a Pokémon mini NSO app or something.

Is it finally time? Pokémon: Digital Monsters Saga?

Would have thought Atlus-developed Pokémon would have been a [REDACTED] title though ...

Double-Announcement Time!

Can we have a gen 2 game on Switch?
I don't care if it's let go or hgss hd or ilca remake or whatever, just give me gen 2.
And no I don't want the original games on NSO, I loved crystal but it's borderline unplayable now.
Borderline unplayable? That's harsh lol. Pokémon is one of the poster children for franchises whose core gameplay changed the least. I could see this criticism for gen 1, but by gen 2 there's enough QoL and graphical improvements that I don't agree at all

They're definitely not mentioning the GBC TCG game, and Stadium 2 would only be mentioned in relation to GSC. A Pokémon spin-off releasing on NSO just isn't very significant news and would get announced in the normal channels for NSO releases. It's the mainline games or features that integrate with them that would be significant enough to get a mention. Either that or like, a Pokémon mini NSO app or something.
godddddd i want them to revisit the pokemon mini so badly. That would make my entire year. I loved mine to death from 2008 to 2020 when it died of a battery corrosion problem... Still sad I couldn't fix it. Puzzle Collection alone would be an absolute addiction. Pokemon Tetris would be the ultimate dream.

It's amazing how TPC manages to make these as long as banger full-directs without having anything worthwhile in them. (Salt post over the current state of Pokemon Spinoffs.)

It's amazing how TPC manages to make these as long as banger full-directs without having anything worthwhile in them. (Salt post over the current state of Pokemon Spinoffs.)
With how successful the franchise is nowadays you'd really expect the spin off game to be much less barebones than it has been

Like we've had a couple titles but it feels like very little compared to other generations. Maybe TPC feels like mobile games cover that niche? They're probably right financially speaking but it's a bit sad for fans

My main hope for this is the 1st DLC release being earlier than expected, maybe start of September?

I'm still assuming we won't see another game freak developed mainline game until 2025, with Gen 10 possibly being 2026.

A ILCA or new 3rd party studio remake for 2024 sounds possible, but I don't see them announcing that this year.

They have to make money for that first. And if people are playing the mobile games, they are fans. Let's not segregate people like that
Especially when the "mobile gamers" likely bring in more revenue on an annual basis then the "console gamers" do.

Borderline unplayable? That's harsh lol. Pokémon is one of the poster children for franchises whose core gameplay changed the least. I could see this criticism for gen 1, but by gen 2 there's enough QoL and graphical improvements that I don't agree at all
Unplayable because of their super slow speed, like it takes forever to do simple battles and level up a Pokemon. Plus the box thing. They play pretty well actually yes and I love the graphics, don't mind how old they look at all. I just can't stand how much time it takes to do anything in these games.
If they ever put them on NSO they should really consider adding a speed multiplier.

These presents have been mediocre for like 2 years now, but they really hit rock bottom on the last one. I have 0 expectations for this.

With how successful the franchise is nowadays you'd really expect the spin off game to be much less barebones than it has been

Like we've had a couple titles but it feels like very little compared to other generations. Maybe TPC feels like mobile games cover that niche? They're probably right financially speaking but it's a bit sad for fans
I think that's exactly it. The resources that would have gone towards traditional spin off games are now going towards their mobile efforts.

It's not like Pokemon Unite is a bad game, I just don't like it because it is a mobile game first. If it had been a traditional title, I think I would have had a blast with it.

Fair, should've said fans of the console spin off games
I think with Console Spinoffs, everyones just too busy.

Genius Sonority used to make them, but IIRC most of their staff just got folded into Gamefreak itself since around XY. Now they're just like 20 people who are working on Cafe Mix.

Then Creatures Inc makes a couple, and they're on Detective Pikachu 2, but primarily work on modeling for the mainline games.

Then Bandai Namco worked on Pokken and New Snap. There's a chance they're cooking something right now, but Bandia Namco works on a billion things so who knows what that team is doing.

Spike Chunsoft is PMD, and the remake sold well. They got other projects going on right now, but hopefully they're working on a remake of the second or a new one as we speak.

I think Console Spinoffs nowdays are just "If we can find someone who has the time"

I think that's exactly it. The resources that would have gone towards traditional spin off games are now going towards their mobile efforts.

It's not like Pokemon Unite is a bad game, I just don't like it because it is a mobile game first. If it had been a traditional title, I think I would have had a blast with it.
I have no qualms with calling a game that monetizes like Unite (or basically all of the Pokémon mobile games) bad. The platform favoring degenerate monetization is not an excuse.

I have no qualms with calling a game that monetizes like Unite (or basically all of the Pokémon mobile games) bad. The platform favoring degenerate monetization is not an excuse.
Yup. There are great aspects to most of the mobile games released but in the end the monetisation makes virtually all of them predatory toward people suseptible to that shit and annoying and grindy to everyone else which makes them bad games regardless.

Man I miss spinoff games like Mystery Dungeon, Colleseum/XD Gale of Darkness, Pokémon Ranger, Pokémon Conquest and the Stadium games.

Just feels like after the DS and somewhere in the Wii era is when spinoff games all went to crap.

Fan-made games have filled this void for me and I wish Pokémon was brave enough to tap onto these creators. Pokemon Wilds is an amazing proof of concept. Then we have people remaking games on their own or doing something crazy like Pokémon Fusions.

I'm just happy we finally got a new Pokémon Snap. Although that game did take away a lot of the magic of the first game like triggering evolutions and it weirdly separating content through multiple versions of the same map instead of just focusing on a day / night cycle.

What? Pokemon Unite's monetization is entirely optional. I've been in Master rank with 100% battle ready roster of playable characters on all roles and never spent a cent on it.

What? Pokemon Unite's monetization is entirely optional. I've been in Master rank with 100% battle ready roster of playable characters on all roles and never spent a cent on it.
I mean, cool, but Unite commits much more basic sins like having a premium currency and letting people pay real money for consumable items. It wouldn't surprise me if there was also something fairly loot box shaped, but I don't care enough about the game to figure out if that's actually going on.

Being pay to win is just one of many ways a game can have bad monetization. All of these are predatory and/or infect game design.

I mean, cool, but Unite commits much more basic sins like having a premium currency and letting people pay real money for consumable items. It wouldn't surprise me if there was also something fairly loot box shaped, but I don't care enough about the game to figure out if that's actually going on.

Being pay to win is just one of many ways a game can have bad monetization. All of these are predatory and/or infect game design.
That is not a sin though. That is just what the game presents as it's business model, and someone will decide if that resonates with them or not. I personally have no interest in clothing the monsters and just play the game normally, so it would be silly of me to claim it's predatory when it has at no point ever forced my hand to buy anything within it, much less I'd call it bad game design since choosing not to spend money hasn't really affected my experience in any form other than once upon a time thinking "maybe I'd like to buy that costume.... NAH LOL".

If it's business model made it an inherently bad game then it is doing so in a very avant-garde manner of sucking shit cuz I've still found it fun, while on the other hand I've bought various games in my life that frankly sucked and did not give me more than 5 hours of eintertainment yet I wouldn't sit down and figure that "games that arent free to start are a risky gamble and thus bad design cuz you cant know if you'll like it" or what not, as much as those are simply what it's developers decided was the manner of business they wanted to run.

I am expecting like 28 minutes of mobile news, 5 minutes of S/V DLC 1 with a release date, and 2 minutes of S/V DLC 2 with an early 2024 release date. ...But it would be really cool to see like a new Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Conquest, etc. just some kind of console, non-freemium spin-off.

Nostlagia/timewaste/introduction segments. 3 minutes

Teal Mask + Indigo Disk info. 15 mins, even that would feel very bloated
Special Mewtwo raid/Mew distribution. 30 secs unless there is a lot movie reference/bloat
Detective Pikachu 2 game. 4 mins max, and it would drag.
Maybe the detective Pikachu 2 movie hints (or some "live action" tv show/movies) or something idk, that neon sign is suspect. 5 mins max, small hints/concept art/ basic announcment. I can't really imagine a big announcement or blowout here if it were randomly announced.
All the mobile stuff: Sleep, Go, Masters, Unite. 5 mins max all put together, unless they have some new mobile game to show off which they might.
Partnership/merch/media stuff. 2-3 mins

Maybe NSO tier stuff (like something from main series gen 1/2 or 3 port/emulation?, They would charge for this and it wouldn't actually be through NSO I feel. But after all this time would they announce it now?)

(Maybe anime or TCG stuff)?

Outro, 1-2 min

That only gets me to 31.5 minutes at max and thats with a lot of bloat.

35 is a very long Pokémon direct, so I feel we actually do get some new announcements this time, even though it doesn't seem like the right timing. I don't see a main series announcement, but who knows, Khu has been hinting a future legends Unova. But if real, why would they show it off now and eat up SV DLC marketing time? I guess the 1st legends marketing game had some marketing period cross-over. Plus announcing it soon would mean it was coming soon. I really hope the next game isn't until at least holiday 2024, preferably later, although that's not really the Pokemon companies MO.

Maybe a new Mystery Dungeon or something idk, something has to fill this space. I wouldn't mind a Pokken or new Snap related thing either (less likely), (Poke-warriors?). Maybe we just get most bloated Pokemon direct so far.

That is not a sin though. That is just what the game presents as it's business model, and someone will decide if that resonates with them or not. I personally have no interest in clothing the monsters and just play the game normally, so it would be silly of me to claim it's predatory when it has at no point ever forced my hand to buy anything within it, much less I'd call it bad game design since choosing not to spend money hasn't really affected my experience in any form other than once upon a time thinking "maybe I'd like to buy that costume.... NAH LOL".

If it's business model made it an inherently bad game then it is doing so in a very avant-garde manner of sucking shit cuz I've still found it fun, while on the other hand I've bought various games in my life that frankly sucked and did not give me more than 5 hours of eintertainment yet I wouldn't sit down and figure that "games that arent free to start are a risky gamble and thus bad design cuz you cant know if you'll like it" or what not, as much as those are simply what it's developers decided was the manner of business they wanted to run.
Business models are not neutral. The point of most free-to-start models is to target a small, but vulnerable segment of the userbase with poor impulse control to subsidize the bulk of the userbase who either doesn't pay or pays a fairly small amount, usually as the result of maintaining just enough friction in the game design to pick up some stray purchases without bleeding users. The game can still be fun despite that, but it's compromised and built in a way that's predatory. Just because you didn't personally give in to the psychological warfare the game is waging on its users doesn't mean the game wasn't designed that way.

I view any game that advertises itself as "free" with extreme skepticism, because the vast majority are predatory.

Does Pokémon Unite have a option where you can opt out of all mentions of any premium currency at the start of the game?

Because that shouldn't really be such a hassle then, if the game wasn't built around the purchases.

Unless this changed in the past year, Pokemon Unite’s purchases all primarily revolve around (expensive) costumes. You can pay money to essentially give you a shortcut to level up items I think or buy characters sooner, but the actual game is driven by skill and coordination with your teammates and not a single thing you can buy will remotely change that. It is incredibly generous too in the sense you don’t even need an NSO membership to play it. I get being fundamentally against the business model (someone could believe shortcuts could help them when they won’t) or how parts of the design of the reward loops function (there’s a million menus to click through and it regularly does try to sell you costumes through that), but it’s generally speaking a great, very entertaining, and easily accessible game. I got over 100 hours out of it with friends and didn’t buy a thing which feels bad in the sense I wish they offered something actually worthwhile to spend money on.

Nostlagia/timewaste/introduction segments. 3 minutes
15 mins, even that would feel very bloated
movie reference/bloat
4 mins max, and it would drag
That only gets me to 31.5 minutes at max and thats with a lot of bloat
why would they show it off now and eat up SV DLC marketing time?
Maybe we just get most bloated Pokemon direct so far.

Comments like this make me feel cynical, and make me realize how distanced we are from the time in our lives when gaming felt magical.

Everything we don't like is "bloat" or a "timewaster" and everything is judged by whether or not it was worth our time.

If I could ignore comments with the word "bloat" I would

Comments like this make me feel cynical, and make me realize how distanced we are from the time in our lives when gaming felt magical.

Everything we don't like is "bloat" or a "timewaster" and everything is judged by whether or not it was worth our time.

If I could ignore comments with the word "bloat" I would
To be fair, TPC is pretty exceptionally bad at pacing these. You don't get anywhere near this number of similar complaints about Nintendo Directs.

My main hope for this is the 1st DLC release being earlier than expected, maybe start of September?

I'm still assuming we won't see another game freak developed mainline game until 2025, with Gen 10 possibly being 2026.

A ILCA or new 3rd party studio remake for 2024 sounds possible, but I don't see them announcing that this year.
September would be great. Detective Pikachu and Mario Wonder are in October so that seems a bit full, and it's weird that they listed them as "Fall 2023" and "Winter 2023" when it seems almost certain the second part won't be out until after the new year.

lots of detective pikachu 2
mystery dungeon sky remake
some tcg talk
maybe some nso releases
another dlc trailer for s/v
hopefully they dont talk about sleep xD
is what I expect.

To be fair, TPC is pretty exceptionally bad at pacing these. You don't get anywhere near this number of similar complaints about Nintendo Directs.

I don't need anyone to be fair or debate my opinion - the comment isn't a naturally expected outcome of TPC's bad pacing, it's a result of discussion forums and the hype cycles around presentations in general, as well as the fact that we're not kids anymore

And I do see very, very many more comments like this about Directs, I'm surprised you'd say that

I'm not expecting any new games... but I will be heartbroken if they don't take this opportunity to at least announce Red / Blue / Yellow for NSO

lots of detective pikachu 2
mystery dungeon sky remake
some tcg talk
maybe some nso releases
another dlc trailer for s/v
hopefully they dont talk about sleep xD
is what I expect.
I assure you, every active mobile game will get a segment regardless of how necessary it is.
I don't need anyone to be fair or debate my opinion - the comment isn't a naturally expected outcome of TPC's bad pacing, it's a result of discussion forums and the hype cycles around presentations in general, as well as the fact that we're not kids anymore

And I do see very, very many more comments like this about Directs, I'm surprised you'd say that
Sure, people complain about filler in Directs, but not to the point where the presentation lengthening is something that's dreaded. 45-60 min becoming the standard Direct length was generally welcomed.

Sure, people complain about filler in Directs, but not to the point where the presentation lengthening is something that's dreaded. 45-60 min becoming the standard Direct length was generally welcomed.

What's your goal here with this back and forth

Does grobla need defending? Do Pokemon presents need defending

I'm not expecting any new games... but I will be heartbroken if they don't take this opportunity to at least announce Red / Blue / Yellow for NSO

my brave heart is hoping for PMD to see what that team at chunsoft has been working on but after Feb I'm just hoping for TCG/Stadium 2 on NSO and nothing more. I feel this year is pretty full for a PMD as is but who knows... They did announce New Snap in a summer direct for the next year.

I think the endgame is going to be having every region accessible on Switch in some form, like the 3DS did before it (Kanto/Johto through VC, Hoenn through ORAS, Sinnoh/Unova through backwards compatability)

The games beyond Sinnoh will get remakes in due time, so that leaves only Johto and Hoenn. NSO is the easiest solution to drop Gens 1-3, so I really feel like it's inevitable we get them soon.

NSO is the easiest solution to drop Gens 1-3, so I really feel like it's inevitable we get them soon
Probably won’t announce them in this presentation though, we’re still missing Stadium 2 and TCG from their previous showings. But I definitely see the older gens landing on NSO at some point.

What's your goal here with this back and forth

Does grobla need defending? Do Pokemon presents need defending
I'm mostly just making the point that people are extra cynical around Pokémon Presents because they've been given reason to be. It's not just a "the magic is lost" thing, these are actually just pretty poorly constructed most of the time.

Honestly I was reasonably happy with the Pokémon presents spare the most recent one which was really an outlier in how little they had to announce and show off for how long it ran.

Mostly I was trying to reconcile the long run time with the general vibe that its too soon for more big announcements (unless the extreme release schedule keeps up, which it might, but that has its own issues). I feel the most likely outcome is just that each segment runs longer than necessary with maybe 1 big unexpected announcement. I will happily eat crow if this direct has great pacing.

Pokémon direct "bloat" isn't stuff I don't care about; its awkward editing, long winded and repetitive dialogue, awkward pauses and overexplaining simple stuff. I'd sooner take 5 back to back 10 second clips of farming simulators in a main direct, because they are constructed better, it goes by faster.

I'm mostly just making the point that people are extra cynical around Pokémon Presents because they've been given reason to be. It's not just a "the magic is lost" thing, these are actually just pretty poorly constructed most of the time.
Yeah, I don't think it's that hard to understand. Nintendo Directs and Pokémon Presents follow the same format, but one is paced exceptionally well while one has a lot of opportunities to be better. Even in a great Nintendo Direct, the average person probably only cares about/will play a fraction of the games, but they're still great presentations and hold everyone's interest because of the pacing.

Back
Top Bottom