• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News 35 minute Pokemon Presents August 8th at 6 am PDT

Sword / Shield: announced February 27, 2019
BD / SP: announced February 26, 2021
Legends: Arceus: announced February 26, 2021
Scarlet / Violet: announced February 27, 2022

To anyone who was expecting a new mainline game announcement, why

Anyone who says "I expected nothing and was still disappointed" was expecting something. Always

That being said, huge disappointment we still don't even have RBY on NSO yet, let alone GSC and RSE

i would've been super cool with just a new spinoff like mystery dungeon or rangers or snap man. there was just nothing new

The presentation was better than February, but that bar is so low it's subterranean.

The NSO announcement was very strange, but also the only new/interesting thing in that segment besides Niantic forgetting that Galar exists.

I'm not waiting for the next mainline game, I'm waiting for the next Pokemon Mystery Dungeon title.

The last original title was released 7 years ago (Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon), and the remake of Rescue Team is now 3.5 years old. What is going on with the PKMD series!?

SMD was kinda meant as a big finale: so i aint surprised it’s not a new original PMD. I’m still on team PMD2 DX as Tomie and the MD team have to be working on something, but outside of the copyright string earlier this year I wasn’t expecting anything with 2023 packed as is. The NSO Spinoffs dropping today infinitely made this better than the Feb one imo

A close friend of mine just reacted to the DLC part of the presentation: "the dlc is soooo ugly"
Me: "well it's gen 9"
Her: "it's ugly"
then she adds that everyone at her job agrees and that this direct was quite lame.

Now guess where my friend works?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Well, they're right and they know best lmao

Raging Bolt looking like a tallneck from Horizon
TallNeck-Render.png

I’m glad that Pokémon TCG and Stadium are here and they reaffirmed 2023 for the 2nd DLC (Even if Winter 2023 can still technically mean early 2024).

Not gonna beat the dead Horsea on disappointment the mainline games didn’t get announced, but I still believe they’ll be here soon in some form, NSO or a collection or however.

The Fall Presents have always been more “general updates for what’s already here”, it’s the January/February directs where the good/new stuff happens, when the slate is clean. PMD, Legends, remakes, etc always made for sense for next yea

SwagPlay might actually be a legit strategy here since there's no shot Mewtwo has a physical move. +6 Foul Play does like 950 HP to Mewtwo and the buff can't be reset, so theoretically you could do something like four Tera Dark Grimmsnarl with three opening with Swagger and then spamming Foul Play while the other is on support duty (Light Screen/Spirit Break/Taunt/Foul Play)

gen 10 is in a weird position. They obviously wanna do a new generation every 3 years, but at the same time they wait until 3 year of the console's life cycle to release a new generation when the install base is higher.
So a holiday 2025 release for gen 10 would be too early as the switch 2 would only be out on the market for 12-16 months.

Man, people's expectations for this are rock bottom. Admittedly, I can't think of much that would excite me at this point but predicting that we won't get much more than a Mewtwo raid and a release date for the GBC trading card game is kind of sad.

Welp, I get it now. Sorry for doubting all of you.

gen 10 is in a weird position. They obviously wanna do a new generation every 3 years, but at the same time they wait until 3 year of the console's life cycle to release a new generation when the install base is higher.
So a holiday 2025 release for gen 10 would be too early as the switch 2 would only be out on the market for 12-16 months.
If the Switch 2 is backwards compatible they'll probably just release it as a Switch game. They released BW and B2W2 as DS games after the 3DS was already out

Sword / Shield: announced February 27, 2019
BD / SP: announced February 26, 2021
Legends: Arceus: announced February 26, 2021
Scarlet / Violet: announced February 27, 2022

To anyone who was expecting a new mainline game announcement, why

Anyone who says "I expected nothing and was still disappointed" was expecting something. Always

That being said, huge disappointment we still don't even have RBY on NSO yet, let alone GSC and RSE
yeah, this

especially with the Direct getting the Detective Pikachu announcement, I didn't even expect another spin off

I'm very sad to see that the main series shitty graphics have somehow spread to the spin offs as well, since Pokken, New Snap and Mystery Dungeon remake all looked pretty good but Detective Pikachu Returns look awful visually, legit the first game on Citra looks way better, especially the lighting an color palethe used.

I have to say that I went with no expectations after the underwhelming February presents, and I'm very satisfied. A shadowdrop of two great classic games and a deep dive into the DLC, which seems to be massive. Definitely would be better with new games or classic Pokémon on switch, but not bad at all.

I think Gen 10 might wait until 2026.

For 30 years anniversary purpose of course.

No, they're going to want to release it as soon as possible to ensure the Switch's active userbase is still as large as possible.

It will definitely be a Switch 1 game (that you can play on Switch 2 via BC). Would be very surprised if it releases after November 2025.

No, they're going to want to release it as soon as possible to ensure the Switch's active userbase is still as large as possible.

It will definitely be a Switch 1 game (that you can play on Switch 2 via BC). Would be very surprised if it releases after November 2025.
No system has had three new gens before. Patterns point to Gen 10 not being a Switch game, since 8 and 9 are already on that system.

No system has had three new gens before. Patterns point to Gen 10 not being a Switch game, since 8 and 9 are already on that system.

I don't think TPC will care at all about patterns relative to just releasing on the highest active userbase possible.

The Switch also has had the third longest lifespan of any gaming console ever. Longer than the DS and 3DS, much longer than the GBA, longer than the time the GameBoy had left when Pokemon started.

They're behind schedule on like everything right now. I don't think Gen 10 is arriving before 2026.

Eh, it's usually a toss-up between second and third holiday season when Game Freak decides to jump to the next system, really. Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire were second holiday. Diamond/Pearl, X/Y, and Sword/Shield were third holiday.

And yes, that does point to third holiday again given those more recent cases, but Gen VII had the unique quirk of starting on the 3DS but ending on the Switch, by way of Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee; making that a unique situation of, yeah, Gen VIII began on a system's third holiday... but the first mainline installments actually debuted on the second holiday.

So their Holiday 2024 release is a lock for the Switch, but their Holiday 2025 release is a toss-up: especially if they decided to delay Gen X to coincide with the anniversary year and put something else in that slot.

Either way, Nintendo would probably want the series exclusive to the next generation of hardware by 2026 to help drive adoption.

Personally I hope they take their time and don't rush to meet some arbitrary "it has to be released within X years" nonsense.

Quoted by: Leo
Ideally Game Freak takes a year off of releasing to get their shit togther although I don't know if that's even conceivable. They seem to be setting the stage for a new Unova thing next year, so maybe they could take 25 off and release Gen X in 26 a la SM, but more likely I think they do a Johto game or something on Switch 2 in 25 like with LGPE

Ideally Game Freak takes a year off of releasing to get their shit togther although I don't know if that's even conceivable. They seem to be setting the stage for a new Unova thing next year, so maybe they could take 25 off and release Gen X in 26 a la SM, but more likely I think they do a Johto game or something on Switch 2 in 25 like with LGPE
Yeah, ideally they can just take 2025 off to focus on Gen X instead of also juggling a second Pokémon title for release that year. I know ILCA didn't exactly win any fans from their work on BDSP, but if TPC still wants something for that holiday season, the play is to have ILCA come in and do... something, so they can have a solid anniversary title the following year that doesn't get hit with people clowning on the technical performance. Hard to say what that something could or should be until we have a clear picture of what 2024 looks like for the brand though, and we ain't getting that until next year.

Can someone explain me what exactly the Wave 1 and 2 from that Mewtwo event are?

The actual Mewtwo raid is in September, i got that much. But what are the other two waves consiting of?
The official sites have some more info on this

Phase 1, running now, has Scizor, Blissey, and Hydreigon, and the rewards are Exp Candy, Tera Shards, Protein, Calcium, Carbos, and the TMs for Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Calm Mind, and Nasty Plot

Round 2, starting next week, has Blissey, Hatterene, and Grimmsnarl, and the rewards are Exp Candy, Tera Shards, HP UP, Iron, Zinc, and the TMs for Light Screen, Reflect, Snarl, and Struggle Bug

Both of these rerun simultaneously with Mewtwo

Last edited:

I wouldn't mind this. If they want to have annual releases before Gen 10, perhaps they could do a Black/White remake and another Legends title. Ideally, I'd put the Black/White remake on Switch Holiday 2024, then Legends on Switch or Switch 2 (Switch game with Switch 2 enhancements?) Holiday 2025, and finally Gen 10 arriving on Switch 2 Holiday 2026. I'm no Pokemon/Game Freak expert, though. I just repeated the order from the BD/SP, Legends Arceus, and Scarlet/Violet releases across 2021 and 2022. I suppose Legends 2 would be filling the Let's Go slot from Switch's 2018 if Switch 2 releases in 2024.

Last edited:
Gamefreak is not going to wait to release a game to make it better quality
The release date of gen 10 has already been decided and the games will release on that date in whichever state they are

Gamefreak is not going to wait to release a game to make it better quality
The release date of gen 10 has already been decided and the games will release on that date in whichever state they are
Call me optimistic, but I think there'll be an emphasis on making sure performance at least is up to snuff for Gen 10. It's the first time they've received this level of blowback for technical stuff and while GF isn't exactly known for being receptive to feedback it's not something they can easily ignore

I'm honestly much more worried that they'll cut back on ambition in order to get the games in a better technical state, because yeah they're going to aim for that release date no matter what, so something has to give

Back
Top Bottom