• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sports 2024 European Football Championship (14 June - 14 July)

Who will advance to the semi finals?

• Spain (over Germany)

• Germany (over Spain)

• Portugal (over France)

• France (over Portugal)

• England (over Switzerland)

• Switzerland (over England)

• Netherlands (over Turkey)

• Turkey (over Netherlands)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Fouling Ronaldo to avoid conceding a goal is now a legitimate strategy even inside the penalty box. We just need a catchy name for it similar to Hack-A-Shaq.

I freaking love keepers that are good against penalties. Of course it's more important to be calm, professional, consistent and all that boring stuff. But a keeper that instills fear into the penalty taker, makes mediocre games good and good games legendary.

EDIT: WHYYYYYY with underdogs not taking these super easy chances???

Last edited:
So Ronaldo is totally gonna try and take the 5th penalty and probably end up missing it at this rate

Edit: aight, I hold my hands up, I was wrong about everything there lmao

"If we make it to the penalty shootout we'll win because we have Oblak."

"What do you mean we can't win if we can't score?"

I feel for Slovenia, to go all that way and then not score a single penalty is a shame. Would've loved to have seen an upset but aw well

It's kind of ridiculous how the only "big" football nations looking good at this tournament are Spain, followed with some distance by Germany... and the rest was/is just various degrees of dismal.

At least you have teams like Switzerland, Austria, Romania to balance it out, otherwise this tourney would have been a hell of a boring, unattractive mess so far.

Qatar 2022 was a bullshit tournament, organised by slaveholders and comically corrupt assholes...
However, the fact that it had pretty good matches with better looking football was probably due to the bizarre schedule. By interrupting the regular season for the vast majority of participants they were in pretty good shape instead of super exhausted.

Last edited:
As a certified Cristiano hater... oof, yesterday's display was hard to watch, even for me. From a somewhat promising first half to a comical display in the second, to a missed penalty and tears... he knows he's out of the game. Weirdly, he's been in Saudi Arabia for like two seasons and only now he's starting to realise he's washed.

On the game itself: Portugal was marginally better, and their keeper was spectacular in the penalties so I guess they deserved the win. Sesko, though, what a shame. What. A. Shame. It would've been so good.

Oh, there was another match yesterday, yeah. It was shit. France hasn't scored a single normal goal and is going to win this by becoming the meme
Qatar 2022 was a bullshit tournament, organised by slaveholders and comically corrupt assholes...
However, the fact that it had pretty good matches with better looking football was probably due to the bizarre schedule. By interrupting the regular season for the vast majority of participants they where in pretty good shape instead of super exhausted.
Yep. Everyone was in prime form for Qatar -and you could tell by how weird the second half of the season was, and how bad older players (Benzema, Lewandowski, etc) performed.

It's kind of ridiculous how the only "big" football nations looking good at this tournament are Spain, followed with some distance by Germany... and the rest was/is just various degrees of dismal.

At least you have teams like Switzerland, Austria, Romania to balance it out, otherwise this tourney would have been a hell of a boring, unattractive mess so far.

Switzerland was hard to watch at first but they've grown a lot during the group stage, and they were fantastic against Italy. Such a solid and well-built team. Amazing defensively, they have a clear plan that they execute flawlessly... If they had a bit more quality from the midfield onwards, they would be a very serious contender, IMO.

Austria has been great, too. I'd add Türkiye to this list. They've been consistently entertaining whether they win (3-1 against Georgia) or lose (that 3-0 against Portugal... oof).

Last edited:
Anyone who wants to hire me to jinx things for the team they don't want to win?

Because i do seem to bring bad luck. After reading the Portugal match went to penalties, i switched channels to watch the shootouts 'cause i like the suspense you can feel at these things.

Thought to myself, let's support Slovenia, it would be funny if Portugal were out of the tournament.

Penalties happen

Well, so much for that. I'm not a football fan and rarely watch it outside of big tournaments ... but i don't think i've ever witnessed such a penalty whooping, not a single successful one on one side vs three saves by the keeper on the other side.
I totally jinx things for teams i support...

I have a new idea, inspired by that offside goal: Instead of the Wenger proposal for a weaker offside that will still result in close and controversial cases, why not abandon all offside after corners and free kicks?
Offside is important to make normal game play in the midfield interesting, but it really is just a nuisance during set pieces.

Depay really made this game more interesting closer by consistently wasting opportunities. Romania did nothing after they conceded.

Last edited:
What is this black magic? Goals after set pieces?
Seriously, all that theory and youtube content about Gegen-Pressing and spaces, yet so few teams seem to know where the goal posts are so that you can score by putting the ball over the line.

GG Türkiye. Kind of deserved, but your fans throwing cups and stuff at the players make me root against you, big time.
Two goals conveived by the same player after set pieces shows that Rangnick just isn't a good coach, really. His idea of Gegen-Pressing is part of the modern meta, but he's just hilariously unsuccessful.

Ok so last 16 predictions
  • Went with Switzerland over Italy as Italy have looked pretty poor so far while Switzerland were solid throughout Group A
  • Germany I think just have too much quality for Denmark
  • England will probably bore their way to victory even though I'd love to see Slovakia dump them out
  • Georgia did what Scotland couldn't which is extremely frustrating considering we went unbeaten against them in qualifying. Spain were also in that group and beat Georgia twice and will probably do so again here
  • France and Belgium have both been poor but Mbappe broke his Euros scoring curse while Lukaku seems to be cursed like never before so France win here
  • Portugal should beat Slovenia even after that Georgia upset so I'll go with Portugal
  • I can see Romania pulling off a little shock against the Netherlands. Romania have played with a lot of passion so far and the Dutch haven't looked that good so far.
  • idk how many players Türkiye while have suspended after last night's game but I'd have picked Austria anyways. Austria look really good so far and being in this side of the bracket might even give them an outside chance of winning it if they keep playing as they have done so far
6 out of 8 for me
Switzerland
Germany
England
Spain
France
Portugal
Romania
Austria

Yesterday was unfortunate and we were so close to seeing Portugal and England on the end of upsets

5 out of 8 for me only. Shouldn't have believed in Italy somehow weaseling their way to the quarter finals. Austria was likely too sure of themselves, and Romania just didn't have what it took to prevail in a knock-out scenario.

New poll is up as well, so get your votes in once again, if you like! My choices are:
  • Spain will beat Germany, because I don't trust my team to pull one off against what has so far been the most consistent contender in this tourney
  • France will somehow make it past Portugal – maybe Pepe will score an own-goal or something
  • Switzerland has to stop the dullest team in this tournament; they have the means
  • Netherlands will beat Turkey
Poll is open for 48 hours.

Going for the "safe" bets this round, kind of hoping to tempt fate into proving me wrong for a couple of them though

- Spain have been the best team in the tournament so far imo with Germany arguably second so it's a shame one of them has to go here. I think Spain will edge this, their attacking talent is immense and the Germans have had some shaky moments defensively where a better team could punish them.

- France are up there with England as the most boring and lucky team in the competition and I would love to see Portugal knock them out... However unless Portugal move past trying to give Ronaldo a goal to feed his ego, I can only see France winning this, probably with another own goal or something.

- I need Switzerland to knock England out but I'm picking England to bore their way through this tie with Bellingham probably providing a moment of magic again to be the difference.

- I think Netherlands will squeeze past Türkiye. Credit where it's due for surprising me against Austria but if the Netherlands are more clinical with their chances than they have been then I think they have this

GG Türkiye. Kind of deserved, but your fans throwing cups and stuff at the players make me root against you, big time.
Two goals conveived by the same player after set pieces shows that Rangnick just isn't a good coach, really. His idea of Gegen-Pressing is part of the modern meta, but he's just hilariously unsuccessful.

It's funny because Rangnick probably doesn't have anything to do with set-pieces because he's got an assistant coach specifically for those.

OK, time for the QF.

Who I think will win: Germany, France, England, Netherlands go through. Boring choices, I know, but the boring choices win all the time.

Who I want to win: Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, Türkiye.

I'm doing percentages this time, just for fun.

- Spain has been great, but this is as far as they go in this tournament. Even having received only one goal, Le Normand and Laporte are looking frail against Musiala, Wirtz, and Havertz (admittedly, these 3 aren't having a great tournament) and the German midfield is also better and more experienced than the Spanish -which only has Rodri as the one I'd consider world-class. If Lamine and Nico Williams have a good night, though, it might go uphill for Germany fast. I'd say Germany 60%-Spain 40%.

- France hasn't scored a single goal to win a game this Euro. They are a nightmare to attack against and don't even need to score to win games so it seems like a lock for them. Plus, Portugal is still convinced their best chance is to keep Ronaldo in the starting eleven. I'd say France 75%-Portugal 25%.

-There's no way England would beat Switzerland with how little they've shown this euro. They can't attack, they can't really defend, they are horrible in build-up play, they squander counter-attacks... Still, since England has been blessed by the football gods (which somehow seems to be overcoming their curse in tournaments) so I think they're winning this. I don't know, a 30-metre screamer by Foden or some bollocks on the 95th minute gives them the edge over Switzerland. England 70%-Switzerland 30%.

- The Netherlands is better than Türkiye, who already were (IMO) inferior to Austria, saved by the goalkeeper and by how poorly the Austrian players took their chances. Güler is a fantastic player, but I don't think he'll be lucky enough to assist twice from a corner kick two games in a row. Plus, Türkiye defends kind of like how I defend on FIFA (that is, getting nervous, sliding too often, and losing position all the time) and players like Malen can take advantage of that. Netherlands 75% - Türkiye 25%

PS: How that guy Roberto Martínez still has a job after squandering the best generation of belgian players is beyond me.

- Spain has been great, but this is as far as they go in this tournament. Even having received only one goal, Le Normand and Laporte are looking frail against Musiala, Wirtz, and Havertz (admittedly, these 3 aren't having a great tournament) and the German midfield is also better and more experienced than the Spanish -which only has Rodri as the one I'd consider world-class. If Lamine and Nico Williams have a good night, though, it might go uphill for Germany fast. I'd say Germany 60%-Spain 40%.
It's funny how, sitting on the other end of it, I see it exactly the other way around. Musiala and especially Havertz don't really have shown the form to make a difference so far in this tourney, as you already alluded to. Wirtz will probably be benched again in favour of a disappointing Sané – only Nagelsmann knows why. Gündogan and Kroos are trump cards and can make a difference on a good night.

Neither Kimmich, nor Raum/Mittelstädt, however, will be prepared for Yamal and Williams, and that's what will ultimately break our back; because Tah and even Rüdiger can only mitigate so much damage. And to top it all off, Neuer continues to be a bit of an uncertainty. A couple of great saves can be undone by one random flounder.

I'd give Germany 30%, at most. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Last round I didn't make predictions because I didn't want to jinx my team.

This time I won't make a predicition because I can logically talk myself into any outcome for Spain vs Germany, from a clean 2:0 for Germany if they consistently support their CBs and particularly FBs, to a 4:2 or 5:1 for Spain if clinical finishing combines with defensive lapses, and every tight result, possibly going to penalties, in between.

It's funny how, sitting on the other end of it, I see it exactly the other way around. Musiala and especially Havertz don't really have shown the form to make a difference so far in this tourney, as you already alluded to. Wirtz will probably be benched again in favour of a disappointing Sané – only Nagelsmann knows why. Gündogan and Kroos are trump cards and can make a difference on a good night.

Neither Kimmich, nor Raum/Mittelstädt, however, will be prepared for Yamal and Williams, and that's what will ultimately break our back; because Tah and even Rüdiger can only mitigate so much damage. And to top it all off, Neuer continues to be a bit of an uncertainty. A couple of great saves can be undone by one random flounder.

I'd give Germany 30%, at most. I'd love to be proven wrong.

When it comes to goalkeepers, yeah, an ageing Neuer isn't that great... but from what I've seen from Unai Simón at athletic club, I don't consider him a great keeper. He's only received one goal in the euros but he had an incredible mess up against Croatia that didn't cost Spain a goal because... well, because the ref really. The wingbacks are better in Spain for sure, with Carvajal -who's had an incredible season- and a (somewhat surprising) Cucurella being IMO far better than this year's Kimmich or Raum/Mittelstädt.

I really think it's going to be a great match

I’ve been wrong about several things this tournament, but what I’m expecting;

Spain over Germany. Hosting country never wins the tournament, so I’m thinking Germany will be the one to bite it.

France will win by an own goal from Ronaldo. Latter will cry.

England will win… by sheer luck.

As for my fellow Dutchies… I think we’ll win the match against Turkey.

Back
Top Bottom