• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sports 2024 European Football Championship (14 June - 14 July)

Who will advance to the quarter finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Slovakia are about the only team in the draw I trust England to beat, so I guess I owe Georgia one.

And the manager, the tactical genius that he is, sits there and does nothing to change this. When does he choose to bring on Cole Palmer, the wonderkid who carried Chelsea last season, or Alexander-Arnold, the positive and creative influence that he is? At the only sensible time, of course - the end of the game, when it's too late for them to acclimatise to the game and make any difference whatsoever.
I've been informed by a reliable source (Googling it) that he brought on Kobbie Mainoo at half-time and Cole Palmer in the 71st minute. For the latter, I think that's still too late, but not scandalously so. For the former... you have Cole Palmer on the bench. Alexander-Arnold. Anthony Gordon. Ollie Watkins. Hell, even Ivan Toney. And above all of them, Mainoo's the guy who's your first choice for injecting life into a completely lifeless game? I can't see the logic.

So Croatia was the only big team to bite the dust preemptively. Congratulations, @neil!

I'll try to get a poll up for how the round of 16 will go later today.

Slovakia are about the only team in the draw I trust England to beat, so I guess I owe Georgia one.

I've been informed by a reliable source (Googling it) that he brought on Kobbie Mainoo at half-time and Cole Palmer in the 71st minute. For the latter, I think that's still too late, but not scandalously so. For the former... you have Cole Palmer on the bench. Alexander-Arnold. Anthony Gordon. Ollie Watkins. Hell, even Ivan Toney. And above all of them, Mainoo's the guy who's your first choice for injecting life into a completely lifeless game? I can't see the logic.
Mainoo played really well in the middle, I hope he starts on Sunday. He does a different job than the likes of Gordon and Palmer, I hope both of those feature a lot more too though. Palmer was great when he came on. Gordon got like 5 mins but still created a good chance.

New poll is up, get your votes in while you can! I allowed to change votes ahead of poll closing in case of accidental misclicks, which I won't rule out with 16 options to choose from.

I voted in the poll for Switzerland over Italy (that's the only "upset", I think). Italy is a good team, but more fragile than they have been in previous euros, and playing Switzerland is like hitting yourself against a wall of bricks over and over again -so, the Dark Souls of the European teams-. I think Switzerland can beat them.

All other games I think will more or less go as you expect.

Georgia has wit and Mamardashvili, but Spain is leagues better.
Germany has gone from great to "eh" over 3 games, but I'm sure Nagelsmann can still tweak the team to make them fearsome again. Denmark has the potential to mess their plans, as they did with England (and as Switzerland did against Germany) but I think Germany is still a superior team.
England will be boring, dull, and infuriating. They'll not only beat Slovakia, but they'll reach at least the semifinals with the teams they have to face. They concede very little and have great players, in spite of (points to everything else).
France-Belgium has the potential to be the worst game in all of the Euros, but France has a better squad and manager
Even if they still choose to play with 10 men with CR7 on the team -horrendous display last night by my man Cristiano- Portugal will probably beat Slovenia without too much trouble.
Romania V. Netherlands is interesting because the Netherlands has been dire to watch. Koeman is, as we Barça fans know, an awful manager, and it's not surprising Austria beat them and relegated them to the third position in the group. I still think Romania is a weaker side, although I'd love to see the Romania that we saw against Ukraine show up against this squad.
And last but not least, I think -and hope- Austria will continue in the euros. They have been fun, they have qualified as first in a very, very difficult group and they have the talent to make it far. Türkiye has been decent, if a bit inconsistent -and lucky against Georgia, IMO- so it still should be a fun game.

EDIT:

I don’t really.

I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of him. And I want to add, the Dutch press or outlets have been hyping him up for the past couple of weeks, saying stuff that he could reach the heights of Real Madrid. I did feel that was unfair and I believe this lead to some awful pressure on his shoulders.

However, ever since starting his career Veerman has one major flaw: if he’s in a team which plays well and everything is awesome for them, he’ll be great too. Fantastic passes and all that.

However, when a team is in dire need of someone helping out, pull his team through a tough spot, Veerman is always the first one to fall in a game. He will always make the wrong choice, his passes become less concentrated and he starts to fight himself. Very few coaches helped him with this particular shortcoming, until last season with Peter Bosz. That’s the first season where he was more successful on a regular basis, but PSV had a monster season for the past year. So he was rarely challenged during those matches.

IDK man. I haven't seen much of Veerman before the euros, so I can't really talk about his performance before the game... but Koeman didn't have to take him out in the first half. And the team still lost without Veerman on the pitch.

This has been Koeman's MO consistently ever since he became a coach. He always points the blame at his players, he always signals out players -often young, often with very little experience- and he never takes any accountability for his mistakes. That's why he ended up in flames in Valencia, and that's part of the reason why he got kicked out of Barça.

Last edited:
I actually believe in both Austria and Romania for upsets. Italy will go 0:0 over 120 minutes and win on penalties if they have to. Though I can honestly also see Switzerland beating them. It wouldn't really surprise me.

Edit: I guess Austria wouldn't really be the biggest upset by now, but I'm still used to them being kind of bad, so seeing an actually highly capable Austrian side still feels a bit weird.

Definitely rooting for Austria over Turkey, getting first in the supposed "Death Group" has to mean something.
Italy vs Switzerland will probably end in a penality shootouts, unless one of them scores early, where Italy will probably be more lucky, even if I'd love to see Switzerland advance :D
Agreed on Belgium vs France, it will be a boring slog but France will win this, probably.
No idea about the England and Netherlands matches, could go either way (Voted Netherlands and Slovakia).
Denmark won't be an easy opponent but I kinda think it's doable for Germany, even if it's another last minute goal...

Ok so last 16 predictions
  • Went with Switzerland over Italy as Italy have looked pretty poor so far while Switzerland were solid throughout Group A
  • Germany I think just have too much quality for Denmark
  • England will probably bore their way to victory even though I'd love to see Slovakia dump them out
  • Georgia did what Scotland couldn't which is extremely frustrating considering we went unbeaten against them in qualifying. Spain were also in that group and beat Georgia twice and will probably do so again here
  • France and Belgium have both been poor but Mbappe broke his Euros scoring curse while Lukaku seems to be cursed like never before so France win here
  • Portugal should beat Slovenia even after that Georgia upset so I'll go with Portugal
  • I can see Romania pulling off a little shock against the Netherlands. Romania have played with a lot of passion so far and the Dutch haven't looked that good so far.
  • idk how many players Türkiye while have suspended after last night's game but I'd have picked Austria anyways. Austria look really good so far and being in this side of the bracket might even give them an outside chance of winning it if they keep playing as they have done so far

Not an expert. Don't use these predictions to make any bets. I beg of thee.

Italy
Germany
England
Spain
Belgium
Portugal
Netherlands
Austria

Next EA FC game when you select rain as weather condition then the match gets suspended

It'd still be a better idea than having their sunny weather condition replicate the contrast you get sometimes between a brightly lit lower two thirds of the pitch and an upper area in the shade of the stadium roof which makes games unwatchable.

Back
Top Bottom