• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sports 2024 European Football Championship (14 June - 14 July)

Who will advance to the quarter finals?

• Switzerland (over Italy)

• Italy (over Switzerland)

• Germany (over Denmark)

• Denmark (over Germany)

• England (over Slovakia)

• Slovakia (over England)

• Spain (over Georgia)

• Georgia (over Spain)

• France (over Belgium)

• Belgium (over France)

• Portugal (over Slovenia)

• Slovenia (over Portugal)

• Romania (over Netherlands)

• Netherlands (over Romania)

• Austria (over Turkey)

• Turkey (over Austria)

Results are only viewable after voting.
If neither England or France win it but e.g. Germany with Nagelsmann does, I think that this tournament will show that having a good coach is paramount. And 'Goodness' can be measured as employability in a good football league. I'm not convinced that Deschamps or Southgate have many options as club manager.
Maybe Brazil is right that getting Ancelotti as national coach is critical.

Club coaches don't necessarily make good national coaches. Nagelsmann had to eat humble pie quickly and dumb down his tactical ideas to a level that was actually workable within the frame-work of the German NT.

Deschamps reminds me of Löw, who only needed to be smart enough to get out of his players' way out once to win a World Cup. Southgate hasn't shown that ability yet. These first two games this Euro in particular he set up his players almost deliberately so they can't do what they're good at - He's like the antithesis to Carlos Ancelotti.

Watched the England/Denmark match in the office after work. Not that I know much about footie, but according to my colleagues who spend their lunch breaks obsessing over it, ‘that was dire’.

Spain was fantastic yesterday, against a very timid Italy. Nico Williams and Cucurella were amazing, whereas Pedri was (again) a bit of a disappointment. If they had a striker that wasn't Morata, they'd be one of my top contenders for the Euros. As it stands, I think they'll be kicked out by Germany in the QF.

England was awful yesterday, as they were against Serbia Southgate doesn't seem to know what to do with the talent that England has. It's as if he feels that he has to play the "better" players even if they don't work with his idea of football. If it were up to him, Gallagher would start every match and he'd probably bench either Foden or Bellingham.

On another note, it's a crime that Cole Palmer has played 0 minutes in this competition.

Yeah, he's been the best in my mind for a bit now. Truly outstanding.
Donnarumma was amazing last night. Is it fair to say he's taking over as the best men's goalkeeper in the world right now?

Oof. I'm not sure about that. He's great in the Euros, but I think he isn't as great with PSG. He's a far better national team player than club player.

Oof. I'm not sure about that. He's great in the Euros, but I think he isn't as great with PSG. He's a far better national team player than club player.

It's a fair point that he's not impressed nearly as much with PSG - who would top your list right now?

For a long, long time, in my mind, it's been Neuer, but I do think he is past his prime and at least at the moment no CL regular GK at least is better than what we've seen from Donnarumma with Italy recently. I'm up for changing my mind, though.

It's a fair point that he's not impressed nearly as much with PSG - who would top your list right now?

For a long, long time, in my mind, it's been Neuer, but I do think he is past his prime and at least at the moment no CL regular GK at least is better than what we've seen from Donnarumma with Italy recently. I'm up for changing my mind, though.

IMO, the best is Courtois -even if he has been injured for a year-. Allisson would be up there too.

EDIT: And, of course, since Martínez will be playing UCLG next year, we can probably count Martínez as one of the best.

Last edited:
Club coaches don't necessarily make good national coaches. Nagelsmann had to eat humble pie quickly and dumb down his tactical ideas to a level that was actually workable within the frame-work of the German NT.

Deschamps reminds me of Löw, who only needed to be smart enough to get out of his players' way out once to win a World Cup. Southgate hasn't shown that ability yet. These first two games this Euro in particular he set up his players almost deliberately so they can't do what they're good at - He's like the antithesis to Carlos Ancelotti.

The most worrying thing is the complete lack of a plan or identity - which is particularly damning considering this is the fourth tournament with Southgate. It's not as if the players are complete strangers to each other either.

Are we a possession team? No.
A pressing team? No.
A counterattacking team? No.

It's a half hearted mishmash of a tactical set up that isn't really achieving anything.

Man, so bummed if this is the first 0-0. I blame the coaches.
EDIT: :(
Promote Mbappe to coach asap. He wouldn't have tolerated Rabiot this long.

Last edited:
Oh my god, that Turkey own goal. That was painful to watch, I can't imagine how painful it was for Akaydin himself. What was the goalkeeper thinking?

Definitely deserved that 2nd goal. Even if Romania isn't playing half bad, imho. Especially after that offside by a centimeter or so 😅

Not long until our last group game kicks off
I think we can beat Hungary but it's gonna be tough because they need a win too and are a pretty strong side themselves.
Whatever happens it has been nice seeing the Tartan Army enjoying ourselves at a major tournament again

That sure was the referee of all time in the Germany - Switzerland match :v

Glad he's retiring, shame it's only after this tournament.

Truly the worst way to go, but at least they gave it their all.
A horrendous performance, 70 minutes of the most boring, sideways/backwards passing unimaginative, undynamic dross you could wish for.
Time to try a less boring, cautious manner.
There is no way we should be competing less than Albania and Georgia.

That sure was the referee of all time in the Germany - Switzerland match :v

Glad he's retiring, shame it's only after this tournament.
jose-mourinho-sweet-trouble.gif

I’m very happy to see in the media that Varga’s injury wasn’t as serious as it looked like originally. It was a truly scary moment when they brought out both the covers and the stretcher with how concerned his teammates looked.

It's a bit sad that this is it for Modric with Croatia, but the battle was well fought. So far, these final group matches have delivered. Felt like 'Round of final 32' matches.

Modric is my favorite player of all time, so I'm almost in tears here. Absolute insane finish.

Croatia had this one in the bag but Italy is gonna Italy..

One thing in general I don't understand about Football is stoppage time.

There should be some kind of publicly available, undisputable calculation that anyone can look at and double check, that explains exactly how they got to how many minutes. Seems sometimes that they're just making up a number.

Id like to know how they got to 8 minutes in last nights game.

One thing in general I don't understand about Football is stoppage time.

There should be some kind of publicly available, undisputable calculation that anyone can look at and double check, that explains exactly how they got to how many minutes. Seems sometimes that they're just making up a number.

Id like to know how they got to 8 minutes in last nights game.

It used to be totally up to the referee's discretion. These days it's supposedly a bit more standardized behind the scenes but still not transparent.

In theory the 8 minutes would have come from adding up atypical long pauses in the match from injuries, goal celebrations and other interruptions. For example, a quick throw-in wouldn't go into it even if the ball was technically out of play for a few seconds, but repeatedly having to break up players before a free or corner kick might.

What was unusual about the stoppage time yesterday was that the ref blew the whistle pretty much immedediately after the goal, despite it only being the eight minute and not that deep into it either, if I remember correctly.

France struggling against Poland that's already out? :D

Also yeah, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the way stoppage time is handled in Football is kinda dumb. I wish they'd just stop the clock like in almost every other ball sport...

Also yeah, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the way stoppage time is handled in Football is kinda dumb. I wish they'd just stop the clock like in almost every other ball sport...
Absolutely not. Absolutely fucking not. That would be the vector for NFL style TV ads. Never.
I'd rather watch Saudi Pro League than that.

If you stopped the clock each time the ball was dead, I wonder what you'd have to cut down the length of each half to in order to still get the same effective play time. 40 minutes? 35 minutes? 30 minutes? I'm sure someone has done the math but keeping the full 90 minutes would kill players.

You'd make match length a lot more varied, though. There's beauty and usefulness to how predictably you can plan around a soccer match.

Watching that England first half, there's a small part of me that wonders if being eliminated in the first knockout round would be all that bad.

I hope it doesn't come to that of course, but fucking hell.

Games that go this long without goals are indeed terrible. I'd much prefer a Bowser's Chance Time style mini game at half-time to break the tie. The game can resume normally after that.

The fact that probably 3 out of England, Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia will go to the next round instead of Croatia is criminal.

EDIT:
Man, this is just another Disgrace of Gijón with extra steps. Please go to full 32 team tournaments to avoid evenings like this.

Last edited:
So England won't attack Slovenia. Slovenia. The men's team ranked 7th in the world who've reached a World Cup semi-final and the last Euro final in the last four tournaments is too scared to attack the men's team ranked 32nd in the world, below such great footballing nations as Australia and Venezuela.

Very occasionally, and I mean very occasionally, they create chances that are invariably hit straight at the goalkeeper. 99% of the time they just pass the ball around their back line and do nothing with it. They're scared of Slovenia to the point where they'd seemingly rather draw than push for a win.

And the manager, the tactical genius that he is, sits there and does nothing to change this. When does he choose to bring on Cole Palmer, the wonderkid who carried Chelsea last season, or Alexander-Arnold, the positive and creative influence that he is? At the only sensible time, of course - the end of the game, when it's too late for them to acclimatise to the game and make any difference whatsoever. He says nothing to his players to encourage them or drive them forward when they're clearly too scared to try anything. He simply sits there. Watching. Thinking 'if only their manager would say something to motivate them'. Happy to potentially slip to second place and get a harder draw in the next round.

He has to go. Ideally right this second. Previous successes or not, a wet towel would be a better manager at this point. England have been nothing short of dire for three matches out of three and that's three too many.

Deschamps and Southgate both are simply too successful, tournament-results wise, to just eject. We can all cry that any manager with even the slightest bit of appetite for fun-to-watch attack-minded football would be at least as successful, but that's historically not true :(

Deschamps and Southgate both are simply too successful, tournament-results wise, to just eject. We can all cry that any manager with even the slightest bit of appetite for fun-to-watch attack-minded football would be at least as successful, but that's historically not true :(
I wouldn't care that it was negative and boring to watch if it produced results. But the fact of the matter is that we have two wins in eight, and I'd only consider Brazil and Belgium of those to be able to give us a match ordinarily. Not only is it boring, it's not working.

Yeah okay we finished top of the group but if either Denmark or Serbia had scored in their match we wouldn't have, and for a team of our stature that's unacceptable.

Not gonna lie, that third place for Oranje is possibly the best outcome, haha, oh shit.

I still think they will get kicked out the next round by Romania. Yeah you read that correctly. If they play against them like they did against Austria, they won’t win any games like this. And if by some miraculous twist of fate they will beat Romania and possibly Austria for a second time, that would be bizarre, because they’re on the right side of the table. Italy - England gonna be mid for the next round. Sorry Slovakia.

The left side of the match-ups… good lord. That’s murder

Georgia beating Portugal is hilarious.

Not gonna lie, that third place for Oranje is possibly the best outcome, haha, oh shit.

I still think they will get kicked out the next round by Romania. Yeah you read that correctly. If they play against them like they did against Austria, they won’t win any games like this. And if by some miraculous twist of fate they will beat Romania and possibly Austria for a second time, that would be bizarre, because they’re on the right side of the table. Italy - England gonna be mid for the next round. Sorry Slovakia.

The left side of the match-ups… good lord. That’s murder

Georgia beating Portugal is hilarious.
I felt really bad for Veerman yesterday. Getting subbed off for non-injury reasons in the first half must be heartbreaking for any pro footballer, particularly at this stage.

I felt really bad for Veerman yesterday. Getting subbed off for non-injury reasons in the first half must be heartbreaking for any pro footballer, particularly at this stage.
I don’t really.

I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of him. And I want to add, the Dutch press or outlets have been hyping him up for the past couple of weeks, saying stuff that he could reach the heights of Real Madrid. I did feel that was unfair and I believe this lead to some awful pressure on his shoulders.

However, ever since starting his career Veerman has one major flaw: if he’s in a team which plays well and everything is awesome for them, he’ll be great too. Fantastic passes and all that.

However, when a team is in dire need of someone helping out, pull his team through a tough spot, Veerman is always the first one to fall in a game. He will always make the wrong choice, his passes become less concentrated and he starts to fight himself. Very few coaches helped him with this particular shortcoming, until last season with Peter Bosz. That’s the first season where he was more successful on a regular basis, but PSV had a monster season for the past year. So he was rarely challenged during those matches.

Back
Top Bottom