• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic 2022 GOTY Award Tracking and Discussion |ST| Latest update: Elden Ring surpasses The Last of Us 2 as the most-awarded GOTY recipient

Wayward Strand sounds interesting, never heard of that game before. Steam reviews seem quite good too.

It was on an indie world earlier this year, but no one seemed to notice it at the time. The presentation was dismissed by many as being a poor showing, but it actually ended up having some of the best games of 2022.

Call me old fashioned, but I never like seeing old games from previous years high on these lists.

I’m glad to see Vampire Survivor getting some love all around, though!

Huh? Did GOTY Picks Blog die? This other new blog seems to be down as well.
gotypicks blog stopped their work after 2020 when another site popped up and copied their work, and now the second site is dead as well. BrickArts295 over on resetera is doing a great job at keeping a tally, which currently is:
  • Elden Ring - 18
  • God of War Ragnarök - 4
  • Immortality - 1
  • Norco - 1

gotypicks blog stopped their work after 2020 when another site popped up and copied their work, and now the second site is dead as well. BrickArts295 over on resetera is doing a great job at keeping a tally, which currently is:
  • Elden Ring - 18
  • God of War Ragnarök - 4
  • Immortality - 1
  • Norco - 1
Thanks much for the explanation! End of an era if GOTY Picks is done.

10. Gran Turismo 7
9. Immortality
8. Bayonetta 3
7. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
6. A Plague Tale: Requiem
5. Stray
4. Horizon Forbidden West
3. Grounded
2. God of War Ragnarok
1. Elden Ringa

Whenever I see a list that doesn't feature Tunic in it, my heart breaks. I am glad to see it got a nomination from IGN.

Empire's best games of 2022

20. The Quarry
19. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
18. Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters
17. Sifu
16. Nintendo Switch Sports
15. The Callisto Protocol
14. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
13. A Plague Tale: Requiem
12. Total War: Warhammer III
11. Tunic
10. Horizon Forbidden West
9. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
8. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
7. Stray
6. Pokémon Legends: Arceus
5. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
4. The Last of Us: Part I
3. God of War: Ragnarok
2. Immortality
1. Elden Ring

I think at this point it's safe to say: Congrats Elden Ring.

Now where's that DLC, FROM?
yeah. i thought it might be a closer race between elden ring and ragnarok but doesn't seem like it.
one thing that's surprising is how few games have been able to get at least one win so far. it's still early but i hope other games are able to get some wins too. in 2021 40+ games got at least 1 goty award, with 11 games getting 10+

Did most publications forget that Triangle Strategy was a game that came out this year? That thing was awesome and it's barely getting any mentions / nominations.

10. The Callisto Protocol
8. Stray
7. PowerWash Simulator
6. Football Manager 23
5. Pokemon Legends Arceus
4. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
2. Elden Ring
1. Pentiment

Pentiment RULES. It's a late GotY contender for sure.

Microsoft needs to cut a deal with Nintendo and give Obsidian the funding to put their games on Nintendo consoles. I don't want to be obligated to buy a Steam Deck to play portable Obsidian games.

10. The Callisto Protocol
8. Stray
7. PowerWash Simulator
6. Football Manager 23
5. Pokemon Legends Arceus
4. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
2. Elden Ring
1. Pentiment

This is an interesting list. FM23 actually does have some nice improvements in it. I wouldn't touch any of the AAA games on it with a ten-foot pole, but its picks of indie/AA games are worth consideration, IMO.

yeah. i thought it might be a closer race between elden ring and ragnarok but doesn't seem like it.
one thing that's surprising is how few games have been able to get at least one win so far. it's still early but i hope other games are able to get some wins too. in 2021 40+ games got at least 1 goty award, with 11 games getting 10+
It's surprising because this has been a very good year for games. But I guess Elden Ring is just THAT MUCH of the clear game of the year winner.

I am not surprised to see Elden Ring clean up. It's a real achievement in video game developmemt, and it's clearly a darling both of critics and gamers. I personally preferred Ragnarok, but everything else was always going to struggle the year Elden Ring came out

With how little love Plague Tale is getting, how did it end up a nominee at The Game Awards? Isn’t that decided by media? Looking at these lists, you’d think Immortality would have gotten the nod instead.

As someone who's been jamming with Dark Souls since the 360 days, it's like homecoming seeing people appreciate FROM for the gods they are, doing what they do best. Sekiro was great recognition too but my fucking coworkers were talking about buying PS5s on craigslist to play it in its best form- that's a level of engagement I never would have dreamed of, even as an adherent of the house of FROM and with Bloodborne given away for free through PS+.

Wish Triangle Strategy would get the recognition it deserves. It's actually a sublime SRPG. Not saying it should win GOTY, but at least a mention would be nice.

With how little love Plague Tale is getting, how did it end up a nominee at The Game Awards? Isn’t that decided by media? Looking at these lists, you’d think Immortality would have gotten the nod instead.
Recency bias? Recency bias doesn’t help win awards but it does help with nominations.

As someone who's been jamming with Dark Souls since the 360 days, it's like homecoming seeing people appreciate FROM for the gods they are, doing what they do best. Sekiro was great recognition too but my fucking coworkers were talking about buying PS5s on craigslist to play it in its best form- that's a level of engagement I never would have dreamed of, even as an adherent of the house of FROM and with Bloodborne given away for free through PS+.

I am grateful that they've reached a wider audience, but simultaneously disappointed cause ER is my least favorite game by them, especially coming off of Sekiro which might be my favorite.

I am grateful that they've reached a wider audience, but simultaneously disappointed cause ER is my least favorite game by them, especially coming off of Sekiro which might be my favorite.
Yeah, I can see that and understand too- I kind of think Sekiro is near flawless as well, like, it's peak combat up there with DOOM Eternal for "oh my fucking god how does this feel this intense outside of a fighting game", but beating Dark Souls 3 before jumping in ER made me really appreciate Elden Ring for the gargantuan leap it represents in so many ways- I can't go back to the linear roadblocks of the previous games with their frustrating gated roads, give me open world more wanderers lust edition please. No more grinding the same ten enemies to get past the boss, there's a world full of unique creatures to slay...

Bloodborne = Sekiro > Elden Ring for me at the moment, but ER hasn't received its DLC (yet?) which literally elevated Bloodborne from "great dream material" to "GOD TIER PLAY THIS THREE TIMES AGAIN" with the Old Hunters DLC.

VGC's 10 best games of the year

10. Cursed to Golf
9. Horizon Forbidden West
8. Marvel Snap
7. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
6. Vampire Survivors
5. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
4. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
3. Pokemon Legends Arceus
2. God of War Ragnarok
1. Elden Ring

10. Cursed to Golf
9. Horizon Forbidden West
8. Marvel Snap
7. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
6. Vampire Survivors
4. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
3. Pokemon Legends Arceus
2. God of War Ragnarok
1. Elden Ring
This is probably the best one yet

I'm just happy that both Sekiro and Elden Ring exist - one game to take their game design principles and narrow them to the finest, most focused point, the other to dump massive amounts of exploration and content around that core design. The fact that we got both is just a miracle.

Just don't ask me to choose between them...

GamesHub's best games of 2022

20. Wylde Flowers
19. Two Point Campus
18. Vampire Survivors
17. Neon White
16. Pokemon Legends Arceus
15. God of War Ragnarok
14. Elden Ring
13. Pentiment
12. Return to Monkey Island
11. Poinpy
10. Wayward Strand
9. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
7. Marvel Snap
6. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
5. Stray
4. Immortality
3. Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
2. Horizon Forbidden West
1. Cult of the Lamb

The ending discourse + controversy really must’ve done a number on Bayo 3, it’s genuinely depressing to me to see it miss so many top 10 and even 20 lists :( like I can’t picture a reality where it’s not deserving of at least that

I’ll cherish its live-streamed Best Action Game win at TGA I guess

The ending discourse + controversy really must’ve done a number on Bayo 3, it’s genuinely depressing to me to see it miss so many top 10 and even 20 lists :( like I can’t picture a reality where it’s not deserving of at least that

I was thinking the same. It came out to mostly glowing reviews and then a month later it’s just a disappointing game that seems to be an afterthought for most outlets.

I wonder how much Bayonetta 3 suffers because there's been a spread of mid to high 80s, favourably reviewed exclusives on Switch.

Personally - and no offence to fans of either game - it's surprising me to see Sparks of Hope and Pokemon Legends turning up so frequently over say, Bayonetta 3 and Kirby & the Forgotten Land. I don't think there's been a single stand out 'Nintendo' title this year; unlike say Metroid Dread last year or Animal Crossing the year before. Press awards seem much more spread out across a cluster of Switch exclusives - Splatoon 3, Pokemon Legends, Kirby, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3, M+R Sparks of Hope; occasionally Scarlet/Violet and Switch Sports. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does perhaps mean that some titles we'd expect to maybe get a bit more limelight right now - like Bayonetta 3 - are struggling to stand out amongst the crowd.

Not that I think it's a bad thing to have half a dozen or so excellent exclusive games cropping up on these lists. Personally I think it's a shame Triangle Strategy, Live Alive and Sunbreak aren't getting very much love; but it's also a nice change seeing multiplatform stuff like Tunic and Neon White and knowing those are options on Switch, too.

GamingBolt's top 25 games of 2022
GamingBolt

1. God of War Ragnarok
  2. Elden Ring
  3. Horizon Forbidden West
  4. Pokemon Legends Arceus
  6. Gran Turismo 7
  7. Kirby and The Forgotten Land
  8. Lego Stars Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  9. Return To Monkey Island
  10. A Plague Tale: Requiem
  11. Triangle Strategy
  12. Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
  13. Splatoon 3
  14. Shovel Knight Dig
  15. Rogue Legacy 2

I was thinking the same. It came out to mostly glowing reviews and then a month later it’s just a disappointing game that seems to be an afterthought for most outlets.
And the funny thing is that Bayo 3 is unlike B2 in that for B2 the game came out to glowing reviews but when the hardcore really dug into it the combat didn’t hold up, yet I don’t think that’s the case with 3.

20. Wylde Flowers
19. Two Point Campus
18. Vampire Survivors
17. Neon White
16. Pokemon Legends Arceus
15. God of War Ragnarok
14. Elden Ring
13. Pentiment
12. Return to Monkey Island
11. Poinpy
10. Wayward Strand
9. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
7. Marvel Snap
6. Marvel’s Midnight Suns
5. Stray
4. Immortality
3. Pokemon Scarlet and Violet
2. Horizon Forbidden West
1. Cult of the Lamb
I really should check out Midnight Suns.

I enjoy the MCU and I LOVE XCOM, but this game hasn't really grabbed me at all.

I even enjoy card games of all sorts.

People acting like it has one of the worst endings ever in fiction will never not be weird to me. It's... harmless

WatchMojo's top 10 best video games of 2022

10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
9. Sonic Frontiers
8. A Plague Tale: Requiem
7. Bayonetta 3
6. Nightmare Reaper
5. Horizon Forbidden West
4. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
3. Nobody Saves the World
2. God of War: Ragnarok
1. Elden Ring

honorable mentions: Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, Potionomics

Some did avoid playing Bayonetta 3 do the voice acting controversy that happened. Like I know GVG avoided the game afterwards. Even when all the other stuff came out and still sided with Taylor. Don’t think they even acknowledge anything after that and stuck to their guns.

It ended up being a lose lose the series in the long run. Major controversy before release. Barely gets a resolution before launch but The game’s hardcore fanbase didn’t get the lore they wanted and reacted heavily negative to it. Plus the game was a performance mess to a lot of folks that played it. So it ended up just in a bad spotlight for a lot, and the worst thing was that it was mostly the fans of the actual series making the noise, so just made the game give off a negative impressions if you were looking to try the series for the first time.

Like, I’m interested to see what a reaction to a Bayo 4 announcement will be like lol

10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
9. Sonic Frontiers
8. A Plague Tale: Requiem
7. Bayonetta 3
6. Nightmare Reaper
5. Horizon Forbidden West
4. Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
3. Nobody Saves the World
1. Elden Ring

honorable mentions: Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge, Potionomics

Frontiers over Xenoblade 3 (which wasn't even in the honorable mentions) and kirby. Then again this is watchmojo, who decided to put Cyberpunk at no.1 in 2020 despite it still being broken everywhere and in the middle of controversies

Some did avoid playing Bayonetta 3 do the voice acting controversy that happened. Like I know GVG avoided the game afterwards. Even when all the other stuff came out and still sided with Taylor. Don’t think they even acknowledge anything after that and stuck to their guns.

It ended up being a lose lose the series in the long run. Major controversy before release. Barely gets a resolution before launch but The game’s hardcore fanbase didn’t get the lore they wanted and reacted heavily negative to it. Plus the game was a performance mess to a lot of folks that played it. So it ended up just in a bad spotlight for a lot, and the worst thing was that it was mostly the fans of the actual series making the noise, so just made the game give off a negative impressions if you were looking to try the series for the first time.

Like, I’m interested to see what a reaction to a Bayo 4 announcement will be like lol
I think there’s perhaps another small element in that it’s part 3 of a story where you need to have played the others for it to make any sense, in a story that’s already pretty wild. So it’s probably not going to have new players take a chance on it in the same way that some sequels are badged as a jumping on point where you’ll miss a few nods to this, that and the other but otherwise be just fine. Mass Effect 2 did a pretty reasonable job of that (I still haven’t played the first one). So did the last God of War game before Ragnarok- they get new players up to speed pretty fast. But Bayo 3, in its media cycle, made it pretty clear that it perhaps wasn’t the best entry point for new players.

I think there’s perhaps another small element in that it’s part 3 of a story where you need to have played the others for it to make any sense, in a story that’s already pretty wild. So it’s probably not going to have new players take a chance on it in the same way that some sequels are badged as a jumping on point where you’ll miss a few nods to this, that and the other but otherwise be just fine. Mass Effect 2 did a pretty reasonable job of that (I still haven’t played the first one). So did the last God of War game before Ragnarok- they get new players up to speed pretty fast. But Bayo 3, in its media cycle, made it pretty clear that it perhaps wasn’t the best entry point for new players.
And from what I've seen it did its best to turn off those returning players, lol

And from what I've seen it did its best to turn off those returning players, lol
I think it seems that way cause of the hyperbolic response online. It seems bigger than what it actually is. I'm a huge Bayonetta fan. I didn't have an issue with the story. I view Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry storylines the same way. As they're very Japanese anime and completely different from the western Hollywood style narratives you find in games like, The Last Of Us, Tomb Raider, God Of War, etc.

I've seen plenty of over the top anime, that have similar distinct styles and stories. What I do find kind of strange, is that Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 had the same criticism about their stories, as far as people, saying the story didn't make any sense or they were bad. Now the feedback have shifted to the storylines being good. I find all of them entertaining and never looked at Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta or Devil May Cry storylines as some deep narrative experiences. But more like an entertaining anime.

I will say this, and this is my personal opinion. I found Bayonetta 3 story more entertaining than Devil May Cry V story. Something about DMCV story seemed a bit boring to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom