• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware 2 Years of "Next Generation" Consoles. How are you feeling?

Tbh I think I’d be fine with not upgrading yet, Returnal, demon souls and Rachet were good but not something that I needed to play straight away and it seems like all the other big ps5 stuff plays pretty well on ps4.
Xbox I haven’t used since Forza horizon 5 so probably didn’t need that yet either

I have a PS5 and Xbox Series X. Like the gen prior at this point in time, it’s the best place to play cross gen or backwards compatible games, but there’s nothing yet interesting there that’s only there (I think Ratchet is still my only actual, full exclusive?). That’s not a bad thing, I had blast playing Miles Morales on it and games like Blue Reflection Second Light, Ys IX, and Lost Judgment on it, but it’s not exciting.

Next year has some interesting exclusives coming up like Forspoken (hopefully it’s good) and Final Fantasy XVI. I think Spider-Man 2 is 2023? This time next year, I’m hoping we’ll be feeling better about it.

I've had a Series S as a back up console to my Switch for about a year, and I've played through half a dozen games on it - 3 of them the Mass Effect remasters (and it really was great to go back to them). I loved Psychonauts 2 and enjoyed Halo Infinite's campaign, but despite Game Pass having some interesting games, it's not been enough of a game changer (no pun intended) to shift me away from Switch as my primary system. There's not much point in maintaining a sub when my gaming time is finite and the Switch exclusives plus portability remain compelling.

Probably resubbing to GamePass for a bit to try Flight Simulator and play through Tunic. If I could get them at a good reduced price (remember, Series S is digital only) I'd be willing to buy either Cyberpunk or Elden Ring. I'd like to get God of War Ragnarok, but I'll dig the PS4 out for that when the game inevitably drops in price down the line.

But yeah. Series S is a solid secondary console for me. I love the design of it.

I feel it's shit and games are just more of the same, technical progress is just leveraged for better visuals. The switch is the only thing that's keeping me from completely dropping videogames as a hobby, even though I wasn't playing much before Splatoon released. Let's see what the switch 2 brings to the table in a year or two.

Well... I bought a PS5 at launch (never had a PS before) played some exclusives and older titles but honestly the only games I really enjoyed were retro titles (that other platforms have), Elden Ring and Dark Cloud. So decided that I am just a Nintendo fanboy, so I sold the PS5 and bought the OLED Switch and put some money into saving for a PC.

Next gen hasn't really done much for me yet. There are some big games I am waiting for now like the new Elder Scrolls and Soulframe but they could be years away...

Whelmed mostly. Due to supply constraints, two years later we are still firmly in cross gen territory. Barely any games have come out that really take advantage of these systems besides allowing for higher frame rates and resolutions. Games like ratchet and clank, or flight sim, are very much outliers in terms of games really using the ssd to its full potential. Im hopefull that next year, the industry will move away from cross generation releases, and start getting out games that really take advantage of the new hardware. Right now, they feel more like the ps 4 pro deluxe and xbox one x +

Picked up a PS5 about 18 months ago, my first Sony console since the PS2. I’m completely split.

On the one hand, as someone making up for lost time I have a PS+ subscription and I’m absolutely loving playing through several generations/entire series of games I’ve missed out on over the years. I’m drowning in several generations’ worth of classics to catch up on.

On the other hand I can absolutely see that if I’d owned a PS3/4 and kept up on the big releases for those systems then I’d be utterly let down by this generation’s slim pickings of exclusives so far. It really feels like this generation needed to wait a little longer, but both Sony and Microsoft were terrified of the idea of the opposition getting their console on shelves first, so here we are.

I learned that powerful hardware doesn't make games better or more engaging for me. I still don't mind playing Switch versions of games. With that said, bring on a more powerful Switch, please.

I haven't even seen a PS5 with my own eyes as the prices in my country are impossible. I plan to buy one somewhere along the line but I'm not in a hurry because I'm drowning in games I still have to play both on Switch and PS4 (although I'll be done with the PS4 soon).

It also helps that we are still in a cross gen period even two years in, so it honestly doesn't even feel like I'm behind or anything.

i still stand by the fact they should have waited an extra year before launching the systems, even if COVID wasn't an issue.

Sackboy is definitely one of the best launch titles (even if it isn't really enhanced outside of the loading times) ever made, but imagine how well the PS5 could have been if it also had Returnal and Rift Apart day one?

While Microsoft is still stuck in lacking major exclusives to this day, albeit with the caveat that everything else tied to the system (Game Pass, Quick Resume, Backwards Compatibility, even dev mode if you miss the days of softmodding.) is far better than Sony's own efforts to compete with it.

Well my PS5 runs Genshin Impact at 4K 60 fps and Sony has delivered on what we have expected game wise.

Series X (my go to for multiplat games) was a major step up from my VCR X1 and gamepass has saved me a lot of money.

The biggest thing I see people complaining about is cross gen games, but that doesn’t really bother me. I upgraded for peak performance from both brands, and both deliver a game changing upgrade from the Pro and 1X in that department. The gen 9 exclusive games will come in due time, so I value the performance boost more than that anyway at this point.

All in all, I am satisfied with both machines.

Despite the PS5 basically being a PS4 Pro Pro for now, I'm really liking it. Playing PS4 games at super solid framerates and high resolutions has been great and everything has overall worked super smoothly, from loading times to using the console OSs. It's definitely lacking in compelling next-gen only exclusives and, two years out, that's honestly pretty bad but, even so, I'm still having a good time. Certainly more than the PS4 early on till like 2017, more than I ever got from the PS3, and comparable to what I got from the PS2

When the most notable exclusive cited in this thread is a worse version of a game I played in high school, you know the software drought is bad. I feel better about the argument that at least the new systems are running last gen stuff at higher framerate/IQ, but if you've been invested in the PC ecosystem for a bit you're basically just left staring at Sony exclusives going, "oh that's it?"

My take isn't necessarily what the majority would have (Considering how much the PS4 sold) but I've loved my PS5. I've owned it since Feb 2021 and while most of my playtime thus far has definitely been on PS4 games, many of these games were new to me such as Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, DMC5 and the like as I never had access to a PS4.

As for PS5 specific titles, while there has definitely been a small number and basically all of them have been cross-gen (Not the biggest fan of this as I want to see developers not being held back by older hardware), its been a great experience so far, hardware wise.

Next year should also be exciting. FF16, FF7R (100% bet this is getting delayed to 2024), Stellar Blade and Spider-Man are on my radar and I cannot wait to grab them.

It's definitely not a necessary upgrade yet. I think the SSD and load times do make a great quality of life difference, even when playing PS4 games.

In terms of the next generation wow factor, honestly it doesn't really exist for these. I got mine because my PS4 was crying out in pain every time I played a game, and I figured I might as well buy a PS5 rather than a new PS4.

My take isn't necessarily what the majority would have (Considering how much the PS4 sold) but I've loved my PS5. I've owned it since Feb 2021 and while most of my playtime thus far has definitely been on PS4 games, many of these games were new to me such as Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, Nier Automata, Nier Replicant, DMC5 and the like as I never had access to a PS4.

As for PS5 specific titles, while there has definitely been a small number and basically all of them have been cross-gen (Not the biggest fan of this as I want to see developers not being held back by older hardware), its been a great experience so far, hardware wise.

Next year should also be exciting. FF16, FF7R (100% bet this is getting delayed to 2024), Stellar Blade and Spider-Man are on my radar and I cannot wait to grab them.
FF7R 2 is “next Winter” so basically anywhere from December 2023 to March 2024. I would be super impressed if it makes December next year considering they’d have three huge AAA JRPGs in the same calendar year. Even making March 2024 is impressive to me if all three turn out well.

Well, Steam Deck is what I've decided to get next year, not really arsed about getting either the PS5 or XSX for the foreseeable future.

Have tons of games on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One (Game Pass) to play through yet. So many games are cross gen still, so doesn't really feel like I'm 'missing out' at all, either.

I can wait on the exclusives coming out next year like FFXVI, Ghostwire Tokyo, Forspoken, Spider-Man 2 and the ones already out like Demon's Souls Remake, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart etc. They all look good and cool, don't get me wrong, but I'm being more drawn to the Steam Deck catalogue (and the aforementioned great games Switch and PS4 are still getting).

I feel a combination of anti-FOMO and an intense eyeroll. I have a decent PC that can play 3rd party games and I don't like most Sony 1st part titles, so there's zero games I feel I've missed.

Also, I cannot forget the amount of marketing about how incredible everything would be (especially the weird obsession with Unreal Engine 5 that continues to this day) and I've yet to have my mind blown. Raytracing is hands down the most trivial graphical improvement I've ever heard of. Games look amazing now, but not more amazing than anything available 2 years ago. I got a PS4 two years ago to play the handful of exclusives, but I can't see myself doing the same thing in 5 years.

Current next gen
hehe

I think next year current gen exclusives will ramp up and start making the consoles much more attractive. I know I'll start to sweat once FF7 Rebirth is out. Oh and Tekken 8. Those games make me definitely want to get a PS5 because the strongest PC I own is Steam Deck and I assume they will be pretty compromised on that. I'm guessing the main reason I might not buy the console whenever one of those launches will be money, since I'm not sure yet if I'll get the next hardware Nintendo puts out. That depends on the jump of that thing + if there are exclusives.

So far it's been easy to not have a PS5 when you have a PS4 already. If you skipped the PS4 the PS5 is insanely good for backwards compatibility+performance boosts alone in my opinion.

I've got both a PS5 and a Series X. Pretty happy with the PS5 but the battery life on the controller is dogshit IMO. The games have been good, though most of them haven't been PS5 exclusive.

I've been a big Xbox guy since about 2010 and this is easily the best I've ever felt about the console/brand. It's been a very quiet two years but I think that's about over come early 2023. The Series X itself is a great machine. Doesn't make a sound and has great backwards compatibility. I feel more confident with my digital purchases with Xbox than Sony or Nintendo by a mile. Game Pass is phenomenal too, and so many games that have historically skipped Xbox are on the platform now like Danganronpa, Guilty Gear, Tales, Persona, etc.

I'm going to put more time into Starfield than every first party PS5 and Switch game combined and it's going to be amazing.

pretty indifferent. there is much potential, but as it stands its "diminishing returns" in action, looking at the releases its better graphics and performance for the same gameplay experience and a good chunk more money.

The general financial situation does not help this generation... (i asume with covid and now the high inflation and lack of resources for production of consoles in higher quantities mena productions will hesitate to go full on next gen instead of cross gen)

Still waiting for a revelation. What new games actually make use of the new tech in interesting ways? I sure as hell haven't seen one.
I would argue ratchet and clank and astros playroom are great examples, but they have the taste of nintendo tech demoes, where a hand full of games use the features and most ignore them (asto) and with RC the fast change in worlds is not suited to every game and having games be cross gen (HZ, GoW) menas they cannt go all out on that feature.
Yeah if you skipped PS4/XBOX1 then this generation is an excellent time to jump in, giving you the new exclusives plus enhanced older games you missed out on. And I'm sure the truly exclusive games will come, given time: This generation is going to be LONG especially with the pandemic start of it, IMO.
As someone that sometimes jumped into secondary platforms when they where cheap (second hand or simply extremly cheap bundles and many cheap second hand games) im really hesitant. Game prices are up overall, the new consoles are rather expensive still, buying into the old gen is also not cheap (heck, still the ps4 here when you can find one is still more expensive then it was when there was no ps5)

there is a huge quality backlog, for shure. but prior gens had a huge financial benefit of jumping into a generation late.
------------------

Also in regards to XBox Series... yeah, microsoft shifted. Outside of the US they where never that strong, and now with their streaming efforts it feels like they moved somewhat on from generations and are pushing gaming back to pc in a way...?

Last edited:
I still haven't seen a PS5 or a Series X (or S, for that matter) in person. Not even on stores windows (even though, I barely go shopping to see those things). My friend's circle all didn't upgrade nor have any intention to (barring a single friend with a Series S) AND with everyone still so broke with no disposable income to invest on expensive new machines, that barely have any exclusives, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Me, personally? I only got a PS4 as recently as 2020, so I don't have any rush with the new gen either. Better keep some money for an eventual new Nintendo console on the horizon.

Same here. Got major FOMO when Demon's Souls came out.

But the fact that I couldn't even get my hands on a PS5 kinda gave me no choice, so I just did another playthrough of DS3 and Bloodborne and got my fix.

Also I got Elden Ring on the PS4 anyway, so I'm good for the foreseeable future.
Are you me lol! I kinda feel bad, because next gen hype is just so fun, but this gen has been a let down until now.

It's exactly because of the fact that this new generation pretty much feels like the last, but slightly better, that I've got no interest whatsoever in these new platforms. Not that I'd ever seriously consider an Xbox anyways as things stand, they've never been and probably never will be to my liking at all, from image to first party games to system software on their consoles to ... well, basically anything they do and represent. As someone not from the Anglosphere, Xbox may as well not exist to me at all, and it would basically make no difference, so Series consoles have no relevancy in my case.
The PlayStation could've been/could still become more interesting, but so far there's literally no game pulling me into the new/current gen there. And with Sony putting their eggs into the PC basket as well, I might as well just stick with Steam and co. instead of investing in yet another console platform cutting off many features I can get for free on a PC, so...

I told myself after buying a launch PS4 that I would think twice before buying a PS5 at launch and I am incredibly glad I did. The lack of quality software out there makes the drought in 2014 look like nothing. Even disregarding cross gen games there just haven't been enough quality 3rd party software although that looks to change in 2023.

Aside from 360 (admittedly an all time great console) I never got very invested into Xbox. I owned the original and the Xbox One for like a year and ended up reselling both. So a Series X was always a slim chance to me but I'm honestly shocked they had zero first party games in 2022. All those acquisitions will eventually pay off but for now it looks like same old Microsoft.

I am very critical of Nintendo's software lineup not always meeting my interests but they've been far better at supporting Switch in the last 2 years than the support those other 2 consoles are getting.

This almost exactly mirrors my opinion/experience, except I never owned an original Xbox and instead of selling my Xbox One I've just let it collect dust for the better part of seven years except for when I want to play Rock Band or Sunset Overdrive. There's basically no reason to own a PS5, especially with Sony putting their stuff on PC, and Microsoft still hasn't fully won me back after the 2013 fiasco, especially with them putting everything on PC anyways and releasing like at most one first-party game a year I care about.

Nintendo's output isn't amazing compared to their past but it is a lot better than the other two. Really, the current moment in time is basically an all-time nadir for first-party software across all consoles since at least the early 90s. Whenever someone says that the current moment is the most varied and exciting time for gaming, they're necessarily going to have to include indie games, pretty much all of which could be run well on a low-end gaming laptop at most.

I upgraded my PS4 to the Pro just to find out faster hardware doesn’t improve the gaming. Was already hardly playing games because I don’t spend much time in front of a TV. Switch enabled gaming again, but a better stationary machine doesn’t thrill me at all.

I don't regret buying a Series X, because even for the fairly light, mostly media focused use I had for the Xbox One S I was using before, it's a pretty significant improvement (running Windows on an HDD is pain), but honestly what gaming I do end up doing on it is mostly very back catalog focused stuff. I think the only native game I even own for it is Psychonauts 2.

On paper, there's some pretty impressive feats that can be achieved on the "SSD twins", and I've seen some glimpses of that via the Matrix demo, but it's pretty plain to see that gaming is getting pretty far into the diminishing returns plateau, and AMD's weakness in RT acceleration to try to surpass that isn't doing the machines any favors, either. Eventually the consoles may fully justify their existence, but we're a pretty long way off from that, and that's only going to get harder going forward.

I enjoy the fact that you get the option for 60fps, but that's it. Had the PS5 for a year now and feel like I barely played anything worthwhile.

I have like ... 5 games for my PS5, not counting the n-th amount of PS+ (base) games i add to the library but kinda never dl and play.
3 of those are souls-like, Demons Souls, Ni Oh Collection, Elden Ring ... so i gotta say my PS5 is currently a souls-like machine for me as there's little i'm currently interested in.

But i'm glad i can say that i got the console before they made it more expensive.

It's something!

Grabbed a PS5 / XSX on launch in 2020. The PS5 gathered dust for 6+ months as I played all cross-gen games on XSX.

Recently grabbed a 3080ti and stopped playing the XSX, but back on the PS5 for the exclusives (and to finish my final Yakuza platinum).

As gaming is my primary hobby, i'm okay with buying the latest tech and not using it daily, but completely understand contrary sentiments RE: value for money.

Pretty good. PS5 is baller and haven’t had a need for an Xbox since I have a PC.

I’m hoping Nintendo’s own next gen system comes next year as I’ve largely stopped playing my switch due to the poor performance for titles across the board

Don't care about them! Was interested in an XBSX for a bit, but I couldn't find one so I bought a 4K Blu Ray player instead. I mainly wanted one for that and backwards compatible games, but I can live without the latter.

The PS5 is ugly and there isn't a single game that makes me want one. The games I'm interested in, I can just get on PS4!

It's 4 the Players

Underwhelming. I have a ps5 and XSX. Nothing groundbreaking for me. I play my OLED more. Waiting to see what Nintendo announces for their next console.

I don't have a new gen console. There are just no exclusives anymore that are interesting to me. XBox never had any interesting exclusives and Playstation lost me with the PS4 and all the cinematic exclusives. Because I play mainly Nintendo games or 3rd party games that also got a release on Nintendo platforms, I don't think that I will buy a PS5 or XBox Series.

Cross gen has really spoiled it. Great if you didn't want to buy new hardware, but it's made developers slow to build next-gen only projects, even God of War still has squeeze-through-the-level loading stuff. You need an expensive new TV to enjoy performance modes, Dolby Vision and the like. PSVR2 costs more than the console. Games are $70/£70 now and too few of them justify it.

That said, Game Pass Ultimate is really good, and PlayStation's equivalent is much improved.

Nintendo have been resting on laurels too - it's obviously a very healthy system, it's great you can still play quite a lot of new releases on it (like the new Monkey Island for example) but NSO doesn't come close to competing services, and games have looked and felt like increasingly muddy, framey shit on the Switch for quite some time. The store needs an upgrade, better discoverability. The OS needs features they removed in the transition from Wii U and 3DS, and then it needs some more. Too many old games and JRPGs, not enough variety. The upgrade is overdue.

Well... I bought a PS5 at launch (never had a PS before) played some exclusives and older titles but honestly the only games I really enjoyed were retro titles (that other platforms have), Elden Ring and Dark Cloud. So decided that I am just a Nintendo fanboy, so I sold the PS5 and bought the OLED Switch and put some money into saving for a PC.

Next gen hasn't really done much for me yet. There are some big games I am waiting for now like the new Elder Scrolls and Soulframe but they could be years away...
I do have to say that PS classics usually age worse in a gameplay perspective. But on release they do have unique strong experiences.And many PS classics did get ported (DMC1-3, FF series,...)
Also should have played alundra =P

with that sad... if you did not like your experiences that much then selling it was probably a good choice.

I got my switch pretty late so I don't feel the same frustration that I think v1 owners must be going through.
But I still want to buy a next gen switch instead of say, the steam deck because I value battery life, my switch library, portability, physical media and ease of use more.

I also use my v2 switch evenly divided between docked and portable play, so the OLED display isn't that relevant.

Pretty positive. I’ve had my PS5 for a year now, and my Series S for a couple of months. My backlog of games for both consoles now rivals my backlog on Switch, and I’m finding myself spending way more time with the Xbox and the PlayStation than I am with my Switch nowadays.

I think part of the reason why I’m enjoying them so much is because I skipped the PS4 and Xbox One generation. So I’ve got a ton of great games to play that I missed because I only had a Nintendo console.

Going forward, I would like to see more current gen-only games though. Stuff like God of War Ragnarok looks incredible on PS5, but every time I have to squeeze through a tight corridor or whatever I’m reminded that it’s actually just a PS4 game.
I’m in the same boat. Didn’t have a PS4 or XBone, so am feasting with games I never played. In fact. The only PS5 game I played was Astro’s Playroom.

I got a PS5 on December 2020 and it’s a good experience so far.

Mostly because I use it as a more powerful & capable PS4.

Games like RE Series are just more fun when play them for the second time.

Though some are not getting good backward supports or need extra fee to upgrade.

About the machine itself, I don’t know what to expect, it all depend on the developer.

Like Elden Ring, GTA Trilogy, I truly believe they could run at native 4K smooth 60FPS on PS5, yet they don’t.

The switch to SSD for standard storage is a life changer in terms of general usage as is the non crappy CPUs. This is true even on the Series S.

Day to day usage of just the OS and general game load times makes it a night and day difference over last gen.

Worth it for that alone IMO.

Can't help it but be amused just a tad every time someone highlights the importance of the switch to SSDs for these new consoles. Which in and of itself definitely was a huge step, I won't argue with that.
But their impact seems much more mundane when you were used to SSDs in PCs for years already at the point in time when current gen arrived.
It basically amounts to a "well, duh" moment on my end, if you will. Like I said, doesn't make them any less important for sure, but coming from SSDs in PCs certainly takes away in a major way from the console's "wow factor" or their storage tech's impact on me. And given that everything else about them is basically last gen, but better -- not all that much to be thrilled about imo.

I can totally see why those missing out on Gen 8 are in love with Gen 9 hardware, though! Must be absolutely amazing; in retrospect I almost wish I didn't have or keep my PS4, just so that I'd be more into the idea of potentially buying a PS5 and getting more out of its library than I would right now.

Can't help it but be amused just a tad every time someone highlights the importance of the switch to SSDs for these new consoles. Which in and of itself definitely was a huge step, I won't argue with that.
But their impact seems much more mundane when you were used to SSDs in PCs for years already at the point in time when current gen arrived.
It basically amounts to a "well, duh" moment on my end, if you will. Like I said, doesn't make them any less important for sure, but coming from SSDs in PCs certainly takes away in a major way from the console's "wow factor" or their storage tech's impact on me. And given that everything else about them is basically last gen, but better -- not all that much to be thrilled about imo.

I can totally see why those missing out on Gen 8 are in love with Gen 9 hardware, though! Must be absolutely amazing; in retrospect I almost wish I didn't have or keep my PS4, just so that I'd be more into the idea of potentially buying a PS5 and getting more out of its library than I would right now.
Have new consoles ever had a wow factor, to those who had semi up to date pcs? Isn’t it pretty much the norm when a new gen launches, that it does things that pcs have done for years?

Have new consoles ever had a wow factor, to those who had semi up to date pcs? Isn’t it pretty much the norm when a new gen launches, that it does things that pcs have done for years?
Yeah, it certainly has been the norm for this last decade. I can't really comment on the period before that, though.
But I do feel like there wasn't a tech factor they'd been touting as much when PS4/One released as there is now with the SSDs in PS5/Series consoles. At least none that I'm aware of adhoc.

Yeah, it certainly has been the norm for this last decade. I can't really comment on the period before that, though.
But I do feel like there wasn't a tech factor they'd been touting as much when PS4/One released as there is now with the SSDs in PS5/Series consoles. At least none that I'm aware of adhoc.
To be fair, we are still cross gen. Cerny was talking about the elimination of artificial loading areas like elevators, or crawling slowly through a shaft. Games are still held back by spinning discs in that regard.

Also much faster asset streaming is a way to overcome how prohibitively expensive a generational inchrease in memory is. To get more out of the limited memory.

Edit: and dont you remember 8gb gddr5?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom