• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware 2 Years of "Next Generation" Consoles. How are you feeling?

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
So, we have now crossed the 2 year mark of the PS5, and the Xbox Series X and S anniversary is in a week. These "Next Gen" Consoles are moreso current generation now, but yeah.

So, how are feeling about this generation so far?

I myself have an Xbox Series S, and it has been nice. It got me into the Xbox ecosystem and it allows me to play third party games at great performance on my 1080p TV. It also allowed me to have Gamepass, which has been pretty worth it. It allows for a much better experience than my Ps4 due to shorter load times and better controller battery life.

Now, something that I ask myself, is would my experience be different if I had an Xbox One..... Probably not honestly, but considering I got new hardware that is hopefully future proof. And that's kind of the takeaway I have

Honestly, I really feel like the next gen console twins are nice to own, but not really a requirement. Current next gen exclusives really don't make up for it, and really haven't been mind blowing. The thing that I like about the Series S isn't really the next gen features, it's moreso about QOL.

I am pretty dissapointed with MS's first party lineup, and PS5 hasn't had any must have exclusives that I can't play on Ps4.

It's honestly been pretty disappointing, especially with how much marketing was put into making games even "better" and doubly so "easier to make". Ray tracing really doesn't seem to make a huge marketable difference on games. We haven't seen any truly amazing SSD stuff. Overall, it kind of pulls the wind out of the sail here.

Overall it just feels like last generation, but slightly better. But what are your thoughts fami?

I admittedly don't have either of them, but I usually buy every PlayStation within the first two years and I still don't feel the need to get a PS5, so I guess that says something?

Same as with Generation 8, which is indifference.

I decided to stop being salty about Sony's decision to completely skullfuck the otaku game market and I just can't really find it in myself to care a great deal about Xbox anymore either. I got back into PC gaming a while back and unless something comes along that makes me seriously consider a non-Nintendo system again, I just won't bother.

The extent of my thoughts is,
"Wow Forza Horizon looks like a blast I wish I could play it"

Confused. When I had to take a measuring tape to a friends house to see if I was able to have space to put a PS5 I knews things were going bonkers. Also a friend lend me his Series S to play Yakuza LaD and people were always blasting sony for the constant updates but I remember every 2 or 3 days having to update (like the store app??). So at the moment I still don't feel I'm missing something important to upgrade

Still waiting for a revelation. What new games actually make use of the new tech in interesting ways? I sure as hell haven't seen one.

In a way, I regret getting my Series S, because all I have played on it so far is Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5. Both are great and fun experiences, but I thought by now I would have more to write home about, you know? Maybe my opinion will change once a new Gears comes out, or Perfect Dark, when that comes out in 70 years.

Very mixed. On one hand, Demon Souls was a fantastic launch game for PS5 that really makes great use of the quick loading and feels pretty magical at times, although it feels partially dated in some ways just for being, well, Demon Souls. Returnal was also excellent. And I've greatly enjoyed playing some older games on PS5 that are enhanced or have much better load times.

But both of those titles were fairly early on in the launch of the console, and I feel like there have been very few new games (that I actually want to play) that are taking advantage of the PS5, and I do wonder if we have to truly wait until most everything is PS5-only before we really start to feel next-gen. Maybe something like FF16 will get there. Overall I really like the PS5, but the games just aren't there yet for me.

Sony’s biggest exclusive of the past two years just released and I’m playing it just fine on my PS4.

So, indifferent right now lol

If anything the most significant impact next gen has had on me thus far is making the switch pro talk wayyy more annoying now that the power gap has increased

Pretty positive. I’ve had my PS5 for a year now, and my Series S for a couple of months. My backlog of games for both consoles now rivals my backlog on Switch, and I’m finding myself spending way more time with the Xbox and the PlayStation than I am with my Switch nowadays.

I think part of the reason why I’m enjoying them so much is because I skipped the PS4 and Xbox One generation. So I’ve got a ton of great games to play that I missed because I only had a Nintendo console.

Going forward, I would like to see more current gen-only games though. Stuff like God of War Ragnarok looks incredible on PS5, but every time I have to squeeze through a tight corridor or whatever I’m reminded that it’s actually just a PS4 game.

Very indifferent to the point where I’ve decided I’ll throw a better graphics card in my computer, hopefully for cheaper than a PS5, when XVI launches and call it a day. I just don’t see a point in dropping $500 on a console that I’m going to play like maybe 5 games on it. And that’s not an exaggeration since I’ve got 5-10 PS4 games and 5-10 PS3 titles sitting in a cardboard box in a closet.

Nintendo is meeting most of my gaming needs right now and while I know I could spend more for shinier graphics and better frame rates I just don’t see a need. I’ve got a decent PC I can use to cover whatever else I can’t play in Nintendo’s ecosystem.

Pretty positive. I’ve had my PS5 for a year now, and my Series S for a couple of months. My backlog of games for both consoles now rivals my backlog on Switch, and I’m finding myself spending way more time with the Xbox and the PlayStation than I am with my Switch nowadays.

I think part of the reason why I’m enjoying them so much is because I skipped the PS4 and Xbox One generation. So I’ve got a ton of great games to play that I missed because I only had a Nintendo console.

Going forward, I would like to see more current gen-only games though. Stuff like God of War Ragnarok looks incredible on PS5, but every time I have to squeeze through a tight corridor or whatever I’m reminded that it’s actually just a PS4 game.
Yeah if you skipped PS4/XBOX1 then this generation is an excellent time to jump in, giving you the new exclusives plus enhanced older games you missed out on. And I'm sure the truly exclusive games will come, given time: This generation is going to be LONG especially with the pandemic start of it, IMO.

I haven’t really cared about PS and Xbox for a while now (though we do have a PS4) but Sony and MS have been doing one thing I like and that’s putting their games on PC. Steam + Switch has been fulfilling my gaming needs and then some.

I've owned a PS5 for not even six months and most of my experiences on it thus far have been playing PS4 or cross-gen titles. I also ran into a weird PS Store issue where I couldn't buy a game on the console and had to resort to the web store. Not exactly electrifying as experiences go.

After 2 years, I still haven’t really seen anything I wouldn't have been happy to just play on a PS4 to be honest, and that console is now 9 years old.

I felt FOMO when I Demon's Souls remake came out at PS5 launch. But couldn't get a PS5 of course and tbf, looking at the line-up now that won't be the case for a long time. My PS4, Xbox One and Switch are doing a good job keeping me occupied the coming years. And this is really the first console generation I feel that way. This will probably the first generation where I won't own all major consoles.

I'll admit I've never been an Xbox/Playstation kinda person (though I have owned/played on a few of the consoles), but I haven't felt any reason to buy any of them for a long time. I think Switch + PC covers basically everything, especially with Sony now starting to do some PC ports as well.

I told myself after buying a launch PS4 that I would think twice before buying a PS5 at launch and I am incredibly glad I did. The lack of quality software out there makes the drought in 2014 look like nothing. Even disregarding cross gen games there just haven't been enough quality 3rd party software although that looks to change in 2023.

Aside from 360 (admittedly an all time great console) I never got very invested into Xbox. I owned the original and the Xbox One for like a year and ended up reselling both. So a Series X was always a slim chance to me but I'm honestly shocked they had zero first party games in 2022. All those acquisitions will eventually pay off but for now it looks like same old Microsoft.

I am very critical of Nintendo's software lineup not always meeting my interests but they've been far better at supporting Switch in the last 2 years than the support those other 2 consoles are getting.

Last edited:
PS5 gives me what I want: High-production AAA games that are gorgeous and extremely well-crafted.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart finally fulfilled the "Disney/Pixar, but playable" dream for video games, IMO. Iki Island on Tsushima PS5 was amazing. Even a game like Forbidden West, which was a disappointment from the perspective of gameplay choices that Guerrilla made, is just this well-made thing that has such craft in it that on some level, I still do appreciate it.

I do wish there were more smaller scope games on PS5 like Astro's Playroom, which is something I think Microsoft is doing a better job of, but it's been great to me.

I want high-end games with quality voice acting and visuals and strong, addictive gameplay loops from the next gen, and I am getting that.

I would like more first-party games of course, but the old adage of "fast, cheap, and good: pick two" applies here. I am content to wait for good content that gives me 50+ hours of gameplay for what works out to one or two bucks per hour of play in overall cost.

I’ve had an Xbox Series X and PS5 since launch

Xbox Series X - Barely use it, I have it set up with a lot of BC stuff like the 360 Dreamcast ports and other bits and bobs but in terms of new games I’ve not touched much.

PS5 - I’ve used this a bit more that the XsX, I had a backlog of Sony’s first party games so played them mostly plus a few third party games. I do like the controller, playing Astrobot was such a neat experience at launch. Miles Morales was another great launch experience especially playing over Christmas. Can’t wait to see more of what’s to come from Sony, very excited for Spider-Man 2

Both systems use pales in comparison to how much I use my Switch, it’s just more suited to how I play games these days. It always feels like I need to set aside a chuck of time when playing on the TV consoles but with Switch it feels more ‘pick up and play’

It’s not good enough. But it’s mostly because the “good old days” are gone. Not just because I’m getting older, but because the industry and the tech changed too much. The hardware seems great (except for the fact that god of war is currently hard crashing my ps5 >_> ), but compare the first two years of something like the ps2 to what we have right now? It’s horrible in comparison. Hell it’s horrible in comparison to just 5 years ago with the switch. COVID is a factor, certainly, but they’ve also deliberately chosen to go cross-gen with a lot of their most important stuff, and games take years to come out now regardless of Covid, so I don’t think things are gonna get better any time soon. The idea of new consoles dropping, and the feeling that it’s a whole new world of possibilities is gone and it’s not coming back.

I have a Series X for over a year and I've been mostly using the system as a BC entry into 360 games :')

Far from impressed. Gamepass Is Great but overall I feel a lack of significant exclusive for the next gen. But between games like spiderman 2, FF XVI, Starfield, Redfall, SF6 and many more things Will change in 2023

I felt FOMO when I Demon's Souls remake came out at PS5 launch. But couldn't get a PS5 of course and tbf, looking at the line-up now that won't be the case for a long time. My PS4, Xbox One and Switch are doing a good job keeping me occupied the coming years. And this is really the first console generation I feel that way. This will probably the first generation where I won't own all major consoles.

Same here. Got major FOMO when Demon's Souls came out.

But the fact that I couldn't even get my hands on a PS5 kinda gave me no choice, so I just did another playthrough of DS3 and Bloodborne and got my fix.

Also I got Elden Ring on the PS4 anyway, so I'm good for the foreseeable future.

Got a Series X day 1 and did the subscribe trick and got 39 months of gamepass for like 110$

And honestly, I regret it - I've come to terms that I just cant keep up with all games anyway and frankly, I prefer to play my games on my Switch.

I've played 1 current generation AAA game in 2 years, Elden Ring.. the rest has been some back catalogue games like the Gears franchise, a replay of Hades and a few other indie games.

As for Playstation, I sold my PS4 in 2020 to dive in on the PS5 when the chance rose... but despite having multiple chanses of buying in... I havnt. I havnt felt the urge at all, I still have Last of Us 2 from last gen to play, and I want to play horizon as well... but not getting a ps for 2 games.

Yet to see a game "oh shit this is truly a next gen experience!" All I've played was first party Sony games so far and they're all cross gen. Better framerates, 4k and short loading times hardly amaze me.

Yet to see a game "oh shit this is truly a next gen experience!" All I've played was first party Sony games so far and they're all cross gen. Better framerates, 4k and short loading times hardly amaze me.
The only thing that sort of qualifies for me, is MS flight sim.

I only own the PS5 and with the exception of Forbidden West, 13 Sentinels and now GoW Rangarok, my PS5 is gathering dust. When Im done with Ragnarok, I have no idea when Im using my PS5 again.

So basically, im 95% PC, 5% Switch after Ragnarok and that was before Ragnarok too.

I have a Series S and, considering how cheap it has been to get 3 years of gamepass and the fact that I skipped the previous gen of MS consoles, I'm happy about being able to download so many games for free, and try them out

apart from that, I don't play with it that much, because the vast majority of games aren't SO interesting for me (otherwise I would have bought them before/already) and due to it being a normal console (vs the Switch hybrid concept)

No way I'm getting a PS5 as it is: big, very big; very expensive; 80USD priced games, with many available on my PS4 or on my Series S already, for cheaper - I will buy it, in three years probably, when a slim cheaper model will be available, at that point with many first party games already decreased in price/available used

I don’t have either. Buying these consoles day 1 has never made sense to me. I buy games for exclusives.

Ragnarok is getting me to consider grabbing a PS5. But it feels like there's a nonzero chance of it coming to PC.

I’ve owned both consoles since launch.

The PlayStation 5, to my honest shock, has been quite a disappointment for me. I haven’t been enthused enough about most the flagship games (Last of Us 1 I already beat on PS4 two years ago for the first time, I tried Horizon Forbidden West, Ratchet and Demon’s Souls) and none of it has been enough to keep me for longer than an hour or two before putting it in the “Finish it someday, maybe” bin. Honest to God my favorite game on the console is the pack-in, Astro’s Playroom. (It’s genuinely awesome.)

My Xbox Series X is a staple of my everyday. I use it to stream and watch media, as a CD Player through my Soundbar, I have it hooked it up my desk with a mouse and keyboard plugged in and use the Edge Browser (it seriously functions like a computer as far as browsing goes, no joke.) And lastly - and most importantly - the games. I play games on my Series X just about every day, whether it be a new game, old backwards compatible game or trying something new on Game Pass.
I’ve always used Xbox as my official “third party console” and that has carried true to the Series X. The largest appeal, game wise, is that combined with all of the SEGA support the console has as well as Rareware games, including new Sea of Thieves and also games like Grounded - makes this console sometimes feel like I just have another machine with more “Nintendo-y” games, which is perfectly amazing with me and what I love haha.

I’m fairly content with it just being a souped up PS4 at the moment. Getting to play games at a smooth 60FPS is the dream.

I picked up an Xbox Series S when Elden Ring came out, and I haven't used it very much since giving up on that game about halfway through lol. The portability of the Switch is massively important for my being able to sink any real time into a game these days, and Microsoft's answer to that - streaming games to your phone or remote play - doesn't cut it for me. So I guess I'm not feeling that great about it, as cool a piece of hardware as the Series S is.

Got a Series X(gave it to my bro but still play). The 60fps games are nice to play and 4k visuals are a nice improvement over 730 or 1080p. However, games still haven't felt next gen in terms of game design and gameplay. I feel like the most next gen experience I've had to far was the tech demo for Matrix. Everything else seems like something I've played on last gen with souped up performance and presentation

Ragnarok is getting me to consider grabbing a PS5. But it feels like there's a nonzero chance of it coming to PC.
I think Ragnarok coming to PC is basically a 100% lock, it’s just a matter of when. Especially with the first game already available on PC.

I think Sony’s policy is 12 months of console exclusivity before PC ports? Was that ever officially stated?

I feel it never really got off the ground correctly because of the pandemic/supply chain issues. It's been 2 years but effectively they're still playing catch up. Haven't picked one up yet but I'm pretty sure it'll pick up a lot in 2023/2024, just doesn't feel super fair to be too harsh on the hardware now even if I have no reason to buy one yet.

Best thing about the gen is probably Gamepass for now.

Wow, I'm on the completely opposite side of most of the people in here.

I've had an Xbox Series X since March 2021 (so not too long after launch) and it has been a revelation for me. Granted, it has been over a decade since I expected a new generation to bring meaningful changes in gameplay experiences - if that's your expectation, you're living in the past.

My biggest pet peeve with the last generation was load times. As someone who loves open world games and racing games, they were ruining my fun. The XSX (and I assume PS5) totally solve that. They take a ton of open world fast travel loading times or race loading times from like 90 seconds to 5 seconds. It's insane. Even now, 18 months later, I find myself saying "damn, look how fast that loaded". That alone justifies the entire generation to me. Further, with Quick Resume (which works flawlessly for me), when I sit down to play, I'm playing in 2 seconds flat. That's the biggest quality of life improvement imaginable. No console booting screen, booting the game, navigating menus. No. Just continue exactly where and how you left off. Magic.

But beyond the convenience aspects, I'm someone with a 65' LG C1 but no interest in PCs, so I want something that has good IQ and performance. And next gen delivers that. I can't even imagine playing Flight Sim on the previous gen. But on XSX it was a magical experience. I'd put on a podcast and lose hours doing bush trips in some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Not having had an Xbox One helped a lot - there was a lot of decent back catalogue to keep me busy. Forza Horizon 3 and 4 were both fantastic. In terms of new games, it has obviously been a weak two years, but there's been Flight Sim, Psychonauts, Halo Infinite (in my unpopular opinion the best Halo yet), Forza Horizon 5 etc.

And playing Elden Ring at 60fps vs whatever it would have been on last generation - again, totally worth it. Res Evil 8 etc - having all the 3rd party games run to a really high standard is huge for me.

The only problem with all of this is that it really, really impacted my enjoyment of my Switch. I find it really hard to go back these days. Desperate for the Switch Pro / 2.

EDIT: For the PS5, I'm waiting for the PS5 Slim. I always do that with Sony hardware because their slim consoles are usually great. The horrible form factor, coil whine, and lack of non PS4 exclusives (I have a PS4 Pro) means it was easy to wait.

Bought my PS5 on launch day. I more than happy to be able to play PS4 games without listening to a Gundam fighter take off the whole time, and I am happy to finally own a UHD player. That being said, next gen exclusives are definitely lacking. I totally get it that COVID has delayed a lot of projects. Most of these games were going to be cross-gen anyway regardless of COVID. Things just got dragged out farther.

Bought an Xbox Series S at the beginning of last year. As my first time in the Xbox ecosystem, it has been a blast. Gamepass is awesome. Most of the big first party games are coming next year and later so things will get better. This year has been very rough for new games on the system though.

Basically, the hardware has been great, but the games could use a jump. The PS5 has barely stretched its legs.

Wow, I'm on the completely opposite side of most of the people in here.

I've had an Xbox Series X since March 2021 (so not too long after launch) and it has been a revelation for me. Granted, it has been over a decade since I expected a new generation to bring meaningful changes in gameplay experiences - if that's your expectation, you're living in the past.

My biggest pet peeve with the last generation was load times. As someone who loves open world games and racing games, they were ruining my fun. The XSX (and I assume PS5) totally solve that. They take a ton of open world fast travel loading times or race loading times from like 90 seconds to 5 seconds. It's insane. Even now, 18 months later, I find myself saying "damn, look how fast that loaded". That alone justifies the entire generation to me. Further, with Quick Resume (which works flawlessly for me), when I sit down to play, I'm playing in 2 seconds flat. That's the biggest quality of life improvement imaginable. No console booting screen, booting the game, navigating menus. No. Just continue exactly where and how you left off. Magic.

But beyond the convenience aspects, I'm someone with a 65' LG C1 but no interest in PCs, so I want something that has good IQ and performance. And next gen delivers that. I can't even imagine playing Flight Sim on the previous gen. But on XSX it was a magical experience. I'd put on a podcast and lose hours doing bush trips in some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Not having had an Xbox One helped a lot - there was a lot of decent back catalogue to keep me busy. Forza Horizon 3 and 4 were both fantastic. In terms of new games, it has obviously been a weak two years, but there's been Flight Sim, Psychonauts, Halo Infinite (in my unpopular opinion the best Halo yet), Forza Horizon 5 etc.

And playing Elden Ring at 60fps vs whatever it would have been on last generation - again, totally worth it. Res Evil 8 etc - having all the 3rd party games run to a really high standard is huge for me.

The only problem with all of this is that it really, really impacted my enjoyment of my Switch. I find it really hard to go back these days. Desperate for the Switch Pro / 2.

EDIT: For the PS5, I'm waiting for the PS5 Slim. I always do that with Sony hardware because their slim consoles are usually great. The horrible form factor, coil whine, and lack of non PS4 exclusives (I have a PS4 Pro) means it was easy to wait.
The loading times is massive. A game like Monster Energy Supercross has load times of nearly a minute on Switch, but on PS5 it’s less than five seconds. It’s a miracle!

Really happy. To the point I didn't use my gaming PC for a while and didn't felt the need to upgrade it.
High-res and 60fps option kind of solve most of my problems. Load times are also a huge improvement(PS5 owner only).

To be quite honest...

This-Is-Where-Id-Put-My-Trophy-If-I-Had-One.jpg

All jokes aside, I think I have not played on a Xbox machine because of my complete disinterest in the Xbox eco system and as for the PlayStation 5... while I got an invite to buy one, I have yet to see a compelling reason why I should get it. I think it's the first time since ever where I feel that missing out on both machines is pretty easy and there is no FOMO at all. Especially when learning that Resident Evil 4 remake (yay!), LAD Ishin! and Like a Dragon Gaiden are coming to PS4. There is is just so little I want to play on both the PS5 and Xbox Series systems.

Although I realize that covid made it pretty difficult for devs to get hype going; the current announcements don't scream confidence either. That goes both for Sony and Microsoft. I really hope it will get there, but currently the outlook is pretty bad all things considered. Makes me wonder how Nintendo will enter with a new system. Going to be weird.

A PS5 is a very good PlayStation hub but at the increased price/the inflated price I bought it for, it's so incredibly not worth it. I do love the controller though.

Honestly a little more interested in the Series S than the X because of Game Pass, affordability, and just what they were able to do to make a machine like that but PC is enough for me regarding Microsoft's first-party games, if any ever come out.

If a stronger Switch ever comes along, I'm not sure I'd ever have any need for another console ever in my life.

Basically, the new generation is very disappointing. The games haven't been stellar, either.

I've got a Series X and rarely play it, it feels this console generation hasn't really gotten going yet (covid threw a spanner in the works).

Back
Top Bottom