• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |ST| The time machine is inside your desk drawer

Sorry for the bump, this is on sale atm, I have been on the fence on picking this game up before as I’ve never really played visual novels. Switch has changed the types of games I have been into and I do like tactical strategy games, would people recommend this for a VN noob?
Yes, can't recommend it enough to be honest. Aside from Ace Attorney, I haven't gotten into too many VNs, but I adored this game.

Sorry for the bump, this is on sale atm, I have been on the fence on picking this game up before as I’ve never really played visual novels. Switch has changed the types of games I have been into and I do like tactical strategy games, would people recommend this for a VN noob?
I think so. I feel that 13S feels more like an adventure-ish game than a VN, granted the tactic sections influence that. But it has a great story and you can dictate, with some caveats, who's story to follow. Cant recommend enough.

Started my replay last night. Forgot how respectful this game is of the player's intelligence. Stuff like conversations overlapping or referencing past events without constant flashbacks or overexplanation goes a long way, despite not really being all that big on paper.

Also having more fun with the combat this time around. Part of that is probably due to me not wanting to rush the story for answers this time around though.

between the sale, being really impressed with the incredible art and UI of the grimgrimoire demo, big lantern ghost's LTTP thread, and a recommendation from a friend, I finally picked this up after being vaguely interested for years. played about an hour this morning and it's great!

the presentation is honestly unbelievable, one of the coolest looking games I've seen in awhile (the dynamic lighting on the 2D characters as you walk around—amazing) and it's super smooth on the switch. not a big fan of the children characters having to be naked for significant chunks of time lmao but I'm loving everything else! just gonna pretend to ignore that aspect as much as possible. can't wait to get lost deeper in the story, it seems interesting even from the start

I should probably focus these days on getting 100%
Or play GrimGrimoire. Loved the demo but my collectors editions hasnt arrived yet.

Since I finished A Space for the Unbound, I needed another story-focused breather to unwind after sessions of Armored Core. And I felt like another mecha game would be the perfect accompaniment.

Finished the prologue my quick and dirty impressions:
  • Game is utterly gorgeous, I would have played it through the end on the strength of its visual style alone
  • Already loving the jigsaw puzzle style story. Even in the prologue there’s already some pretty cool reveals.
  • The battle segments are meh, and the visual overlay isn’t clear enough
My first question is: should I be unsealing files in the Analysis part now? Kinda seems like they could spoil some things.

Second question: how much can I ignore the combat stuff?

Since I finished A Space for the Unbound, I needed another story-focused breather to unwind after sessions of Armored Core. And I felt like another mecha game would be the perfect accompaniment.

• Game is utterly gorgeous, I would have played it through the end on the strength of its visual style alone
  • Already loving the jigsaw puzzle style story. Even in the prologue there’s already some pretty cool reveals.
My first question is: should I be unsealing files in the Analysis part now? Kinda seems like they could spoil some things.

I found unlocking the files to be one more piece of the puzzle! More files are available as you progress, and entries will have information added after certain points in the story, so it’s curated in a way that you can’t really spoil yourself.

You can’t outright avoid the battles. The story and combat sequences begin to gate each other off, and you’ll need to work through both to reach the end. The fights get more interesting though! Both mechanically and in how they start to fit into the wider story.

(Also I love your mecha double feature idea)

it’s curated in a way that you can’t really spoil yourself
Oh good to know. I was just worried since one of the names of the unsealable files was “woman who looks like Ms. Morimura” which kinda clues you into several possibilities.

The story and combat sequences begin to gate each other off
Ah, alright then. Guess I’ll try polishing off those battle stages bit by bit.

Oh good to know.

Ah, alright then. Guess I’ll try polishing off those battle stages bit by bit.
There is occasionally revealing info in the files, but you’re meant to have it! Many of them raise more questions than answers anyway lol, at least at first. I found them helpful for keeping track of and reinforcing certain concepts and connections; they register kind of like Dark Souls item descriptions to me in that way!

I will add, while the battle segments never become more visually clear (the opposite, in fact), it makes more sense the more you play. It's hard to explain, it's like the more you do it the more you can understand what's on screen even if you take a step back and only see it as a mess of pixels.

Although this is coming from someone who liked the combat from the jump

it makes more sense the more you play
It sorta does, yeah. Still not easy on the eyes though.

Finished the first set of battle missions and now I’m working my way through the story to unlock the next set. 13 Sentinels has been like watching a great anime so far. I’m getting massive Zegapain vibes from what I’ve seen so far and I’m curious to see if that hunch will be proven true!

I think my Zegapain hunch is correct. Humanity only exists as AI, they’re not really time traveling, they’re just traveling between sectors, each sector being patterned after a certain era. That’s a rhetorical statement btw, don’t confirm or deny hahaha.

So, I finished 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim.

Loved it to bits. It's a marriage between two of my favorite things: mecha anime and jigsaw puzzle plots. Really impressed with how they tied everything together.

Favorite playable character: Natsuno Minami, who charges headfirst into living the friend-to-aliens life. I'm also quite partial to Hijiyama, Amiguchi and Takamiya.

Favorite non-playable character: 426.

Favorite Remembrance: Can't decide between Takamiya's detective work (did not expect her route would be like that) and Amiguchi's, which I feel has a great pace of questions and reveals. Hijiyama's was pretty amusing too, having you scrounge up loose change to buy YAKISOBA PAN.

Favorite mecha that let me slog through the Destruction segments: Takamiya's beautiful flying quad-leg-spiking beast of a mech.

Favorite pairing: The only real answer is Okino and Hijiyama. Great banter and development. Seriously the other romance subplots in this game kinda suck.

Favorite reveal: Of course, the reveal that the Morimura transplanted into the little Morimura wasn't the nurse/catsuit lady... but the professor. The one revelation that blindsided me and made the pieces plop into place. Close runner up was the kaiju appearing simply because the original Okino borrowed code from a video game. Freaking hilarious.

Favorite food item: Sorry, I'm team Hemborger on this one. Miura got it right.

Three hours in and struggling with this a bit... I get that it's a non-linear narrative and the more you play the more it makes sense, but I'm really lost on pretty much anything that's happening right now. Between multiple timelines, multiple dimensions, seven different characters who all call each other by different Japanese names (some use last names, others first names, or a nickname, or both), some of those with multiple personalities and existing across timelines and dimensions... yeah, it's a lot. Struggling to stay interested when I boot it up as a result.

Three hours in and struggling with this a bit... I get that it's a non-linear narrative and the more you play the more it makes sense, but I'm really lost on pretty much anything that's happening right now. Between multiple timelines, multiple dimensions, seven different characters who all call each other by different Japanese names (some use last names, others first names, or a nickname, or both), some of those with multiple personalities and existing across timelines and dimensions... yeah, it's a lot. Struggling to stay interested when I boot it up as a result.
I hate to say "just keep playing"

But you really gotta just keep playing, the further you get eventually all the pieces will fall into place.

About 13 hours in (I think roughly halfway through going by completion percentage) and having a pretty great time - the story is unfolding quite nicely and the characters are pretty great. Also a fan of the battles, they're definitely a bit easy but still pretty satisfying

I've also discovered that the real challenge isn't the battles, or deciphering the plot, but figuring out what's going on with the freakin' dodecahedron that is these characters' romantic situations

About 13 hours in (I think roughly halfway through going by completion percentage) and having a pretty great time - the story is unfolding quite nicely and the characters are pretty great. Also a fan of the battles, they're definitely a bit easy but still pretty satisfying

I've also discovered that the real challenge isn't the battles, or deciphering the plot, but figuring out what's going on with the freakin' dodecahedron that is these characters' romantic situations
Or figuring out what Iori wants for an after school snack.

figuring out what's going on with the freakin' dodecahedron that is these characters' romantic situations
Oh man, that’s probably one of my sticking points with the writing, the shoehorned romantic subplots.

Or figuring out what Iori wants for an after school snack.
Lol those segments reminded me of classic adventure games. Trial and error at its finest.

I'm really lost on pretty much anything that's happening right now
@BassForever is right. There’s nothing you can do but keep playing, unlock more pieces of the story and watch them fall into place. 13 Sentinels is deliberately design to twist and turn your mind.

Huge bump, LTTP here

I’m five-ish hours in, and I feel like I’m starting to get a handle on some of this. Not the story though. Good grief, not the story. It’s super cool, but it is just bats. Completely bats. I love it. Can’t wait to see where it all goes.

But

Why am I in the middle of a scene where the rich kid has a dream where he’s the same person but with a different name and also glasses, and the top half of the girl with glasses is hanging on a hook, and then the rich kid but now also with glasses loads a personality into apparently the half-a-robot-girl because I did not see that coming.

Huge bump, LTTP here

I’m five-ish hours in, and I feel like I’m starting to get a handle on some of this. Not the story though. Good grief, not the story. It’s super cool, but it is just bats. Completely bats. I love it. Can’t wait to see where it all goes.

But

Why am I in the middle of a scene where the rich kid has a dream where he’s the same person but with a different name and also glasses, and the top half of the girl with glasses is hanging on a hook, and then the rich kid but now also with glasses loads a personality into apparently the half-a-robot-girl because I did not see that coming.
fd41195b6c6aaf4b7f3b5a437e0e07dc1beb4615c14e35b096bfd6bbdce473f5_1.jpg

Huge bump, LTTP here

But

This game just does that sometimes! I don't think I've ever played another game that has so many gigantic "wait holy shit WHAT" moments that bend your brain in half as this one. The story will start to make sense... eventually. Mostly.

How many times am I going to have to suffer through a scene where Iori and friends stand on a sidewalk, get food, and talk about nothing? Because it’s happened twice and it’s excruciating.

How many times am I going to have to suffer through a scene where Iori and friends stand on a sidewalk, get food, and talk about nothing? Because it’s happened twice and it’s excruciating.

This scene is one of 3 times in the game that I shamelessly cracked open Neoseeker's walkthrough. Funnily enough, all of the scenes where I did this played out similarly.

It's to give more screentime to Miwako, AKA the best character in the game.

Kidding. Maybe.

How many times am I going to have to suffer through a scene where Iori and friends stand on a sidewalk, get food, and talk about nothing?
Yeah Iori might have the worst route in the game, especially since the way you progress the plot is just "exhaust all dialogue options"

Just hit me like a bolt of lightning that I meant to make yakisoba pan after finishing this game and never did! I should go get some brioche buns and gari today.

Do you mean I may be just a schoolgirl... but now I'm a schoolgirl with a giant robot! ?

05c90477301d99a5259d2cbe6e2aa9b725e7990e.jpg

My favorite storyline out of the whole game has to be Ogata's one. His final action was badass too.
And part of the fun of the entire game is how slowly and surely, you are piecing together everything that is happening as you get new information.

Fifteen hours in and the story mode says I’m not even 50% through. This game is freaking long.

There’s something fishy about Gouto, and it’s not just that he’s Nate Drake if he were a Japanese high school student. @NateDrake care to explain how you got yourself featured in an anime game?

Fifteen hours in and the story mode says I’m not even 50% through. This game is freaking long.

There’s something fishy about Gouto, and it’s not just that he’s Nate Drake if he were a Japanese high school student. @NateDrake care to explain how you got yourself featured in an anime game?
I think the game took me roughly 40 hours to complete, all things considered.

I think the game took me roughly 40 hours to complete, all things considered.
jeezalou

HLTB has it at 30 hours. I guess I’ll be closer to 40 as well, since if I’m putting this much time into this game I might as well see the proper ending. Which requires seeing every scenario, right?

jeezalou

HLTB has it at 30 hours. I guess I’ll be closer to 40 as well, since if I’m putting this much time into this game I might as well see the proper ending. Which requires seeing every scenario, right?
I would have to double check my save file but I did pretty much everything and I don’t think I was much over 30 hours. I didn’t play the battles on hard difficulty, though, I just did Normal and didn’t worry about my battle rankings. The battles are okay, but I was mostly in it for the story

I would have to double check my save file but I did pretty much everything and I don’t think I was much over 30 hours. I didn’t play the battles on hard difficulty, though, I just did Normal and didn’t worry about my battle rankings. The battles are okay, but I was mostly in it for the story
I’m playing the battles on Casual and have been getting S ranks on them all no problem. I’m not here for the mid mecha fights. I’m here for the mind bending sci-fi and the anime tropes apparently.

jeezalou

To be fair, I read basically everything in investigation, which probably contributed to my playtime. Also replayed a few fights for the S rankings.

I bought this on Switch not too long ago and then they offered it on PlayStation plus a week later. Figured I would just play on there instead of Switch and get all the trophies. Now I’ve just never got around to playing past the first hour.

I really need to get back to it and just pick a platform.

I was digging the game but now... not so much...?
So is this just a visual novel with some turn-based strategy in the middle or is there anything else?

Quoted by: Tye
I was digging the game but now... not so much...?
So is this just a visual novel with some turn-based strategy in the middle or is there anything else?
That’s pretty much it, yeah. I ended up not exactly loving it back when I played it a few years ago, either, despite all the praise it gets. Hell, I hardly remember the plot at all, let alone the characters, lol.

That’s pretty much it, yeah. I ended up not exactly loving it back when I played it a few years ago, either, despite all the praise it gets. Hell, I hardly remember the plot at all, let alone the characters, lol.
yeah, I'm kinda disappointed.
I like the plot so far, but the lack of active gameplay goes against everything I like about video games.

don't have much to say, other than this game was incredible and got me on the vanillaware train HARD, I cannot wait for unicorn overlord, finishing up dragon's crown now :) I loved Grimgrimoire and Odin Sphere very much, truly hope Muramasa gets ported to modern systems sometime!

yeah, I'm kinda disappointed.
I like the plot so far, but the lack of active gameplay goes against everything I like about video games.
Well, that kinda comes with this genre, and you could say 13 Sentinels has more active gameplay than most adventure/visual novel games because of the Destruction mode. So that wasn’t really my problem with the game, though I didn’t particularly love the gameplay of Destruction mode either, so that didn’t help.

I think the reason I didn’t care much for it is because the game just wasn’t really my style; while it has some beautiful art, the game can be very dull-colored and same-looking most of the time, and the fact that the main characters are mostly students with rather subdued designs wearing the same school uniforms made it hard for any of them to really stand out much to me, to the point that I honestly can’t remember most characters’ names or story roles today. I also don’t recall being very blown away by the plot in the way it was hyped up by everyone else, and just as I’ve forgotten nearly all the characters, I barely remember the plot now, either. I didn’t dislike the game, but it didn’t meet my expectations at all and is probably my least favorite game in this genre that I’ve played so far (below the Detective Pikachu games, Another Code: Recollection, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and the Famicom Detective Club games).

But if you’re already enjoying the plot more than me then that’s great! Hopefully you’ll still end up enjoying the experience overall, maybe more than I did, even if the gameplay feels lacking to you. And I can’t say I regret playing the game myself, anyway, ‘cause I enjoyed it decently enough (and my partner liked watching me play, too, I think more than I enjoyed playing the game myself, lol) and at the very least I was able to be familiar with the game when it unexpectedly got a spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! lol

Excuse me if it has been posted before, just wanted to mention that 13 Sentinels had a rough launch in terms of unit sales (500k until 2021). The game though managed to continue to sell and reached 1 million units (since last August). It is safe to assume that the switch release boosted its sales.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom