• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Zelda TotK and Super Mario Bros: Wonder developer talk coming to GDC 2024 (UPDATE: The talk available on the website, check threadmark)

SNP

Sorcerer Supreme
Pronouns
He/Him
From GDC news website:

About TotK, focus on evolving the Physics engine and Sound design

Tunes of the Kingdom: Evolving Physics and Sounds for ‘The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom features developers discussing how they structured an expanded Hyrule around physics-based gameplay and evolved sound design. Join the game’s Technical Director Takuhiro Dohta, Lead Physics Programmer Takahiro Takayama, and Lead Sound Engineer Junya Osada as they explore challenges their teams faced when approaching the popular sequel—which received seven nominations at the 2024 Game Developers Choice Awards, including Best Audio.

In this session, they will share insights on Link’s new abilities, composing Hyrule’s expanded sound design and music, and how these go hand-in-(Ultra)hand to create a new experience for players. By the end of Mr. Dohta, Mr. Takayama, and Mr. Osada’s talk, they aim to give attendees and players everywhere new perspective on the world of Tears of the Kingdom and the innovations within.

About Mario Wonder: focus on Wonder effect, expand player’s choice (probably about the badge) and online system
GDC will also feature 2D and Tomorrow: How the Developers of ‘Super Mario Bros. Wonder’ Find New Joy in Creating Classic Side-Scrolling Adventures. Following last year’s launch of the Super Mario Bros.TM Wonder game, developers Takashi Tezuka and Shiro Mouri discuss the unique challenge of taking classic side-scrolling Super Mario Bros. gameplay and turning it upside down…literally.

The developers explain how the game’s new elements—such as Wonder effects that flip, spin and transform the game’s Flower Kingdom world—draw inspiration from Mario’s 2D past but deliver unexpected new surprises for players to discover. Mr. Tezuka and Mr. Mouri will also share insights on the game’s creative first steps, how they expanded player choice options and the process of adding a new online experience to the game. Wowie Zowie!

GDCC 2024 gonna happen this year from March 18 to March 22

This is the video from GDC 2017 when Zelda team talk about BotW

Source:

Last edited:
Can't wait to see concept art.

My thoughts exactly. I was eating pasta when I was watching the GDC talk from 2017 for the first time, and I dropped my fork when Takisawa went "by the way" and showed some truly stunning concept art.

Can't wait for them to accidentally load the wrong PowerPoint slides and reveal the new 2D Zelda that's definitely almost complete and coming soon

waits

All those developers are going to be packing in for that Zelda talk to see what blood magic Nintendo used to make all those systems and physics work.

I’m still surprised Nintendo gave the staff approval to show footage of the top down Breath of the Wild prototype in the 2017 talk. (18:12 in the video linked in OP)

Breath-of-the-Wild-Prototype.png

I doubt there’s anything on that level they could show on the upcoming presentations, but it should still have some interesting info regardless.

I’m still surprised Nintendo gave the staff approval to show footage of the top down Breath of the Wild prototype in the 2017 talk. (18:12 in the video linked in OP)

Breath-of-the-Wild-Prototype.png

I doubt there’s anything on that level they could show on the upcoming presentations, but it should still have some interesting info regardless.

What if they showed the reskin Banjo: Nuts & Bolts to show how they make a prototype Ultrahand.

Always love seeing developers talk about how they come up with concepts for their games, especially the 3D Zelda and 3D Mario teams, so honestly excited to hear about it

Nintendo: “Alright, before we start, any questions from the audience?”

Audience: <points to Tears of the Kingdom> “Yes, how the fuck?”

do we have a general idea when these will be up on youtube or elsewhere to watch?

maybe a week? the BOTW panel was uploaded exactly 1 week from the end of GDC 2017 but I don't know if it was the norm or not.

Line for the Zelda's panel.

I think what I love most about this view is that despite the lack of cosplays, these people seen here live and breathe video games, so much so they've been inspired to make their own, and are just as nerdy and adorable as if they were at a Con.

I know we'll see the panel eventually, but I hope that this brings them as much wonder as it does inspiration to see that Nintendo influence infiltrate so many other games.

Love to see them bringing up the Dark World as the influence for the Depths.

The testing and quality assurance of TotK is from another planet, wow.

I'm stunned and in awe, genuinely, that portable pots' pivot was a basically entirely visual concern in development, but because everything was to be physics driven, it ended up being used as suspension and a general pivot in builds. Incredible stuff. Makes me wish they had provided even more devices to play with, I loved some of the in development stuff where they showed off using bits and pieces of Sheikah technology to explore the concept of Ultrahand.

Back
Top Bottom