• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion You really don't think we can have better?

To be fair we're still missing Vancouver Velocity, and some of the earlier city tracks are definitely stinkers, but I strongly disagree with this.

Fixing that up would still be less of an investment than fully new tracks, though.

They have had a decade for a new MK tho, it's time for them to bring it.

The sales/success argument of current entries doesn't hold much water either... again, MKWii and Brawl were tremendously successful, and Nintendo simply didn't port them to the Wii U; -- Heck, similarly, we had full backwards compatibility if you are into the past entries.

Vanilla MK8 and Smash4 were much less succcessful games, of course (because of the platform itself), but they truly evolved their formulas and made better games in many aspects.

As much the point of roster cuts are so controversial these days, Brawl also proved that as long you have something "cooler" to replace it (Subspace Emissary for many), it's not that important. And again, mechanically, the game was inferior to Melee even.

The sales/success argument of current entries doesn't hold much water either... again, MKWii and Brawl were tremendously successful, and Nintendo simply didn't port them to the Wii U; -- Heck, similarly, we had full backwards compatibility if you are into the past entries.

Vanilla MK8 and Smash4 were much less succcessful games, of course (because of the platform itself), but they truly evolved their formulas and made better games in many aspects.

As much the point of roster cuts are so controversial these days, Brawl also proved that as long you have something "cooler" to replace it (Subspace Emissary for many), it's not that important. And again, mechanically, the game was inferior to Melee even.
MKWii and Brawl were both released in an era where updating games over time and maintaining a single installment was a foreign concept to most people, so that isn't really a fair comparison. It wasn't a possible standard for games back then like it is now. Not to mention that the graphical jump from Wii to Wii U was a lot bigger than what we're presumably gonna see from Switch to the next console.

Porting over past games was never really a feasible option for the Wii U, but given that MK8 and Ultimate will stand the test of time much better it's a lot more realistic of a possibility now. Don't think you can really compare the two scenarios, there's too many different aspects at play as well as the general mindset surrounding the franchises having changed completely.

The Mario Kart game where you have a real kart and build tracks around your house was a really cool and inventive idea. I low-key thought that it was the sequel to Mario Kart 8. This game seems like it was a brilliant attempt to reframe what the Mario Kart series can do, but I think it may be overlooked because it was cost-prohibitive and can take up a lot of physical space.

I will also say that I am also just now starting to play the Booster Courses, and they are remarkable. I was simultaneously hit with memories of getting deep into multiple kart games and being excited for what's next. Even though it's an experience rooted in nostalgia, it's unique to this game and I am glad it exists. It also adds great value to the NSO Expansion Pack.

For the Smash series, I personally don't need any sequels. I would rather Nintendo picks a new genre with an inventive story to cross over multiple IP's and melt our brains.

MKWii and Brawl were both released in an era where updating games over time and maintaining a single installment was a foreign concept to most people, so that isn't really a fair comparison. It wasn't a possible standard for games back then like it is now. Not to mention that the graphical jump from Wii to Wii U was a lot bigger than what we're presumably gonna see from Switch to the next console.

Porting over past games was never really a feasible option for the Wii U, but given that MK8 and Ultimate will stand the test of time much better it's a lot more realistic of a possibility now. Don't think you can really compare the two scenarios, there's too many different aspects at play as well as the general mindset surrounding the franchises having changed completely.
I don't know.. the original plan for a Smash game on the Wii, was just porting Melee with widescreen and online if Sakurai wasn't going to be involved. And Mario Kart Wii WAS a perpetual platform with online events and such...

Nintendo also did port a couple of GameCube games for the Wii, not unlike how they "saving" certain titles of rotting away on the Wii U, porting them to Switch. Even though the original GameCube releases were perfectly playable on most Wii models (though you'd need accessories for that).

Porting Switch games forward makes little sense on that regard.. they are not recouping any development cost that wasn't paid on the initial run of those games;

People will be instantly interested in a brand new Mario Kart game or a brand new Super Smash Bros. game, for the simply brand recognition. I don't think the large audience was convinced to get Mario Kart 8 because they have Baby Rosalina on it.

Ok I will say I don't want it to be a GAAS, I feel most have kinda flopped and I associate that term with Free To Play which is most likely inaccurate here but still, I see people in other communities mad Nintendo quit ACNH updates but I think its not always necessary to keep it going forever. I also think it'd suck if the EPD expansion is used to make their big games last all gen rather then let us get more games in general.

Quoting myself from another thread because I think it's much more relevant here:

You frequently see people suggesting that Smash be rebooted, and I'm not exactly sure what that's supposed to achieve. It's a lot cheaper to carry over existing characters than to build new ones from the ground up. What exactly are people looking for? New movesets and fighter mechanics? They'd be better served working that in to new characters, as they've been doing, than completely overhauling an existing one. That way they can still have the experimental stuff without throwing out the kitchen sink.

Don't get me wrong I'd also love if old characters like Donkey Kong or Ganondorf more closely represented their franchise counterparts, but on the other hand I also like their current playstyles and would be upset if they were redone, with no suitable replacements. Every character out there is someone's favorite not just for the character themself, but also their playstyle. If you give Ganondorf a makeover then you better also give me an echo of his previous self in a character like Black Shadow or something, because his down air or side smash connecting are some of the hypest moments in Smash

I think a full reboot is the least likely path for Smash to take. The next Smash is either going to be a deluxe port of Ultimate, or a typical fighting game sequel.

It's always silly to see people call for a full reboot as if that's the only way DK will ever throw barrels as a part of his standard moveset.
We needed DK to have his roll and then they did it by... giving him his roll in smash 4

I will admit the level of changes for some may get iffy like DK arguably should change up special and in some way gain a barrel throw (I say get rid of the side special but) which is 2 new specials (New Up is Barrel Cannon) but I don't know

Back
Top Bottom