• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic X-Men '97 |ST| Time to party like it's 1997, bub

Sadist

Mad Titan
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN (In Stereo)

x-men-97.jpg

All of your favourite characters are ready to fight the good fight again and to fulfil Charles Xavier's dream!

Cyclops (Scot Summers) voiced by Ray Chase: the leader of the X-Men. Loves Jeeeeeaaaaan. Shoots lasers from his eyes. His eyes are not doors to the punch dimenion.
Jean Grey voiced by Jeniffer Hale: the team telepath and telekinesis user. Hope she cured her uncontrollable urge to faint. Secretly a universal powerhouse
Storm (Ororo Monroe) voiced by Alison Sealy-Smith: Goddes of the Weather. She is thunder. Love the new hairdo.
Wolverine (Logan) voiced by Cal Dodd: everybody's favourite clawed grumpy uncle. Likes to make Scott a convertible. Hobbies are to stare at Jean's picture.
Rogue voiced by Lenore Zann: Powerhouse of the team with that southern bell accent. Will punch your lights out, sugah.
Beast (Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy) voiced by George Buza: the brains of the team. Wellspoken, intelligent and he looks like a big blue cookiemonster. Oh my stars and garters!
Gambit (Remy LeBeau) voiced by A.J. LoCascio: Gambit loves you, mon chere. Well not everybody is impressed by your exploding card trick, Gumbo.
Morph voiced by J.P. Karliak: The unfortunate member of the X-Men tormented by Mr. Sinister. They rejoined the team and is doing their thing. Can they handle it though?
Bishop voiced by Isaac Robinson-Smith: Timetraveling mutant who found himself in the past and joined the '97 team. Here to stay!
Jubilee (Jubilation Lee) voiced by Holly Chou: She's not a kid anymore. Full fledged X-Men member.

There are other characters returning... but let's keep that under wraps!

So what is this series about?
It's the continuation of the popular X-Men animated series from the nineties which aired on Fox Kids.

Wait... the last season aired 27 years ago!?
Your math skills are excellent. The series picks up where the original series left off back in '97. If you want a quick recap, you can watch the below!

Uh, oh, wow. So what about the voice actors/actrices?
The majority of them are back to reprise their roles! With a few exceptions where they couldn't rehire because some of them have passed away (like Magneto's original VA)

That is so cool. Where can I watch it?
The series started streaming on Disney + as of March 20th. The first two episodes released today!

I'm in, you convinced me. But... uh... what about the intro?

See for yourself!

TO ME, MY X-FAMI!

Last edited:
It's good so far! Currently striking the right tonal balance between pastiche and earnestness. The rare X-Men adaptation that knows that the core appeal is that it's a soap opera. Will keep watching.

Gonna have to clip 0:27 to 0:29 of the opening to go along with:

IMG-1621.gif

I wanted to rewatch the original show before watching this which didn’t happen. I’ve also been trying to watch the Netflix Avatar: The Last Airbender adaptation (which is yikes). May abandon that since this new hotness is streaming now.

First impressions

They freaking nailed the feel of the original show. The vibe is the same, I love it. Was kind of worried that they went for the nostalgia bait, in the first two eps I don’t have to worry about that. Its grand.

I swear to <deity> if we don’t get a Capcom Vs. Marvel compilation announced this summer I’m going to be very disappointed in Disney (and Capcom) since getting the VAs back I think is one of the main roadblocks for that.

Looking forward to starting this tomorrow night. The original run was my jam for a while and I even remember going to Pizza Hut to get the VHS tapes during one of their promotions.

Part of me wants to watch this, but part of me thinks I'll be missing out on a lot of references because I never saw the original X-Men cartoon.

I stand corrected, according to IMDb it’s not the original VA. Still, Capcom and Disney should do the right thing anyways.

Had no clue there was a X-Men 97 OT here, better late than never.

Alright, Episode 3 keeps up the quality of the first two debut episodes!

So far they seem to have done a decent enough job to get us up to speed with a few major characters and events from the original cartoon but episode 3 brings more questions on what is going to go down in this season. The visuals and fight scenes are really on another level than the 90s cartoon (for mostly obvious reasons)

Also Morph is great lol

As someone who has nostalgia for the original series but didn't really watch it religiously or anything (I'd just watch it when it was on as a kid), this is hitting all the right notes so far.

Magneto's new costume is kinda goofy though, lol

As someone who has nostalgia for the original series but didn't really watch it religiously or anything (I'd just watch it when it was on as a kid), this is hitting all the right notes so far.

Magneto's new costume is kinda goofy though, lol
81cjCn2RkxL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Typical eighties stuff

I stand corrected, according to IMDb it’s not the original VA. Still, Capcom and Disney should do the right thing anyways.
I stand corrected corrected, they got back the vast majority of the original VA. I was just being lazy and didn't dig far enough on IMDb.

Sadly, they had to recast Cyclops due to the original VA passing away a few years ago. He's been replaced with Noctis' VA and so far I've only heard one line that sounded like Noct :D

I had been binging this over the weekend after folks told me it really isn't simply a 90s nostalgia fest like you would think it would be and that they were moving all the characters forward in their journeys... and that was solidified especially in this most recent episode... Damn

Really really amazing job at adapting so many wild things from the comics that I never thought I would see on screen(especially the interpersonal dramas)

feels like they've got something special cooking here. this has no business being this good

When someone like Uatu the Watcher appears, you know it's gonna be a bad time.

But I didn't expect them to go THIS hard!

Last edited:
Still can’t believe they’re doing the E for Extinction stuff. Its awesome X-Men stuff

Holy shit. No like seriously… holy shit.

So this is what Marvel Animation is capable of when they have a budget and aren’t being used as a #content factory.

Don’t get me wrong, I liked What If but this is just blowing it out of the water. Full stop.

And I don’t think this is a nostalgic reaction, as I checked out of the original run around the end of the 1st season when I was a kid.

This might be one of the best D+ original shows if they keep this up.

Well dang

I was skipping this because I wasn't really into superhero comic stuff as a kid and therefore wasn't into the X-Men cartoon so I didn't think this would hit with me

But yall're making it sound like it's good regardless of the nostalgia factor

So uh

Seconding WestEgg here:
Alright, I’ll watch it

Well dang

I was skipping this because I wasn't really into superhero comic stuff as a kid and therefore wasn't into the X-Men cartoon so I didn't think this would hit with me

But yall're making it sound like it's good regardless of the nostalgia factor

So uh

Seconding WestEgg here:
I'm just vaguely aware of X-Men Animated - have seen a bit but not watched it all and was not a fan of the show growing up - and yeah... it's good

Was glued to the screen for Episode 5 👀

This could have just relied on nostalgia but it really does feel like a passion project. Can't wait to see what's next!

Back
Top Bottom