• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Would you have rather just gotten a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection instead of the 3D All-Stars Collection on Switch?

Would you have rather just gotten a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection?

• Yep

Votes: 97 46.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 112 53.6%

• Total voters
Not really because I've been wanting a more accessible copy of Sunshine for a while. Besides, three Mario games are better than two.

I have been itching to replay Galaxy 2 for a while now, but I will probably just keep waiting for a Switch version to be released.

Personally I would’ve preferred Galaxy 2 instead of 64 in that collection since 64 is redundant with NSO now
I disagree strongly since you can only rent it behind a bigger paywall. Mario 64 is also just better in the collection because there's no input lag to deal with, it plays so much nicer than on NSO.

Nintendo should've really just put Galaxy 2 on the collection. It's bizarre they left it out.

I think the Galaxy games are some of the weakest 3D Mario's outside of 3D World so absolutely not. That being said I hope we see Galaxy 2 HD at some point.

Yes. We got Mario 64 on NSO anyway and Sunshine really demands a fuller design tweak more like what the Zelda HD remasters get. A quick and cheap Galaxy HD duo would've been better imo, even if Yoshi's kinda tough to figure out.

I disagree strongly since you can only rent it behind a bigger paywall. Mario 64 is also just better in the collection because there's no input lag to deal with, it plays so much nicer than on NSO.

Nintendo should've really just put Galaxy 2 on the collection. It's bizarre they left it out.
The lag is the same for Mario 64 on NSO and 3DAS. The latter did get the better version but only because NERD used the Shindou version. And better is arguable too, speedrunners would disagree.

The lag is the same for Mario 64 on NSO and 3DAS.
Huh? I recall testing the two versions and 3DAS was signifcantly more responsive. I might have to do it again later.

Both are more responsive than the Wii U VC version though, that's for sure because I was unable to triple jump most of the times on that lol

Huh? I recall testing the two versions and 3DAS was signifcantly more responsive. I might have to do it again later.

Both are more responsive than the Wii U VC version though, that's for sure because I was unable to triple jump most of the times on that lol
It had an extra frame of lag at launch but that's been cut down in patches. They basically play the same now, minus the progression cheats on the original NSO version and optional inverted cam on 3DAS.

Not sure. If Mario 64 still comes to NSO then the choice for me is between having Sunshine or Galaxy 2 on switch. I don’t hate sunshine but I’d probably take Galaxy 2, so yes.

But if this deal means no Mario 64 on switch at all? No.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking that Yoshi would be impossible to pull f on the Switch? This theory keeps being brought up time and time again but I don't think it has any merit. The pointer controls are already implemented for the first Galaxy and they work exactly the same when you are ridding Yoshi in Galaxy 2. There isn't anything too crazy precise required for it to be anywhere near impossible. I don't think people remember Galaxy 2 all that well.
It's not impossible, but it would require more changes than they would want to bother with for a basic collection like this. The pointing controls require more complex movement than anything in 1.

Surely Super Mario 64 is due a full on Remake. It would have been perfect timing to Remake it using Odyssey assets overlaying the original code (like the Demon's Souls Remake) as a bridge between Odyssey and the next 3D Mario which at best will release five years apart.

Ocarina of Time is the same. They are leaving a potential 10+ million copies each and a combined billion dollars in revenue for both Remakes on the table for minimal work and marketing compared to creating brand new games in their respective series.

Sunshine is a game I've always wanted to play through (played through the first couple of Worlds at launch) but it being 30fps puts me right off. Maybe there will be a 60fps patch for it when the next Switch arrives or is it like Wind Waker where the animations are tied to 30?
Truthfully I don't see what would be gained from remaking Mario 64 and OOT. Their design is more or less fine as is, and if they wanted to completely reinvent them, they might as well just make new games. I don't think it would necessarily be "minimal work" either.

It had an extra frame of lag at launch but that's been cut down in patches. They basically play the same now, minus the progression cheats on the original NSO version and optional inverted cam on 3DAS.
Huh, really? I'll look at this later then.

Truthfully I don't see what would be gained from remaking Mario 64 and OOT. Their design is more or less fine as is, and if they wanted to completely reinvent them, they might as well just make new games. I don't think it would necessarily be "minimal work" either.
I agree. It's kind of a waste of resources to remake them. It'd be better to just remaster them and add in new features and tweak around things but ultimately just a smoother experience. The games do hold up well and I think just some QoL adjustments would go a long way.

I love the Galaxy games, so I was sad because they did not include Galaxy 2 in the pack. Meanwhile I had never played Sunshine before, so this was a great chance to play that game for the first time, and I really hated it, I got 40 shines and gave up with the game because I couldn't stand it any more.

So yes, a Galaxy HD Collection would had been a better choice.

I have fond memories of Galaxy 2, but I wouldn’t want to swap it with either 64 or Sunshine. 64 is a masterpiece that is still brilliant to this day, and Sunshine is an abomination unto God that must be seen to be believed.

Galaxy 2 is on the Wii U eshop anyway, in case you needed yet another game to get before that goes away.

Honestly, I would have taken a Galaxy and Galaxy 2 bundle instead of 3DAS any day.
64 and Sunshine do nothing for me. Specially the latter. Terrible game 20 years ago, terrible game now.

A billion dollars of revenue for less than a ten million dollar investment which wouldn’t tie up that many staff.

Maybe some small quality of life improvements but yes the exact same games with modern visuals and in Mario 64’s case they have 90% of the assets already from Galaxy and Odyssey.

It's not impossible, but it would require more changes than they would want to bother with for a basic collection like this. The pointing controls require more complex movement than anything in 1.

I know one thing that could be gained: 60FPS and good camera controls.

I know one thing that could be gained: 60FPS and good camera controls.
That doesn’t require a remake! In which case, I would agree both games would benefit from a remaster with minor QOL touch ups.

A billion dollars of revenue for less than a ten million dollar investment which wouldn’t tie up that many staff.

Maybe some small quality of life improvements but yes the exact same games with modern visuals and in Mario 64’s case they have 90% of the assets already from Galaxy and Odyssey.
These are 25 year old games that have been rereleased numerous times for far less than $60. There's no reason to think the same games but with modern graphics would sell over 10 million copies at full price.

I would love to have Galaxy 2, but with the choice of what we did get, or the two Galaxy games, I would have to plump for the sheer variety of the former.

I bought but never played Sunshine, so I'm delighted to have another chance to play that.

If Galaxy 2 is announced, even on its own as a full-price release, it's a day-one purchase for me.

Sunshine is one of my favourite 3D Marios so no, not at all. I don't understand why Galaxy 2 still isn't on Switch, though.

I was so stoked to get Sunshine in HD at 16:9. I know it’s not a particularly loved game, but I really enjoyed it when I was younger and this felt like the absolute best way to play it.

I would really like Galaxy 2 to show up, but I don’t need it to be fancier than Galaxy 1. And I did enjoy the upres of Super Mario 64 — I would have maybe liked 16:9 for that, but I can also get why they didn’t.

So yeah — I wouldn’t trade double galaxies for what we got. But I would like to be able to play Galaxy 2 with the Switch controls (which I prefer, pointer or not).

Not sure. If Mario 64 still comes to NSO then the choice for me is between having Sunshine or Galaxy 2 on switch. I don’t hate sunshine but I’d probably take Galaxy 2, so yes.

But if this deal means no Mario 64 on switch at all? No.

Mario 64 is on NSO (expansion pack), not exactly the same version but it is.
I didn't play Sunshine back then, so for me it was a nice bundle, but still a real pitty to they omitted Galaxy 2. Maybe next Anniversary ;)

Honestly playing Mario 64 on NSO just reinforced that eh, this game is alright.

I didn’t buy 3D All Stars. Would have bought Galaxy 1 and 2 collection. So yeah.

Wish it had Galaxy 2. But oh well.

Honestly, the only bad thing with the collection to me is that I wished it included commercials, concept art, original players guide, maybe some interviews.

The games looked and great in HD. They did not need remakes. Not sure why the obsession with remaking everything is. Also not sure about people wanting 64 to be in widescreen. The game was designed for 4:3.

It's like the people who demanded widescreen versions of movies made for 4:3.

Honestly, the only bad thing with the collection to me is that I wished it included commercials, concept art, original players guide, maybe some interviews.
That's definitely a sort of thing that could elevate a collection, just turn it into a full celebration, time capsule, and reflection. This was never going to reach that level of effort, of course, but it's a neat thought.

The games looked and great in HD. They did not need remakes. Not sure why the obsession with remaking everything is.
It's interesting, in that there are enough games both old and new that remakes largely add to the pile; also in that many of these proposed remakes weight as well be fully new games. Just in the short life of this forum, we've had numerous threads about remakes -- that Super Metroid thread, for instance -- and they do abound with suggestions that wouldn't necessarily benefit from such a rework.

Some seems predicated on people not wanting to engage with older media, some with just thinking it would be cool, some hoping a game will be transformed into something they're actually interested in, etc cetera.

With the thought that the old games will end up streamable anyway, I could see the sentiment increasing.

I love me some 64, but knowing that it would in time come to NSO i would have prefered the 2 Galaxy games, especially since i have not played galaxy 2.

I'm okay with the games included in 3D All-Stars, though I do think that 3D All-Stars is a terrible celebrative collection. Just the games and their soundtracks that you have to listen to separately.

I would gladly pay double for Super Mario Galaxy 2 in HD with the same treatment that Galaxy 1 had. It's superior in almost every way.

As much as I’d have loved to get Galaxy 2, I wouldn’t have traded Sunshine for it since Sunshine absolutely deserved a rerelease more. I could’ve lived without 64, though. It’s not the superior DS version, anyway. =p

I only got to play Sunshine because of 3DAS, so no. On the other hand, I've played MG2 to completion twice.

If they weren't going to fix the myriad QoL issues with SM64 and re-release it as is on NSO that's actually compatibile with the N64 controller, might as well have nixed it from the collection and added SMG2 instead of 64.

Yeah. We would have gotten 64 on Switch via NSO anyway, and Sunshine is trash so I wouldn't care about missing out on it.

I didn't end up buying 3D All-Stars because while l love Galaxy a ton, I don't care much for 64 and Sunshine. And yes, I would have paid 60 for a Galaxy collection.

it should've just had galaxy 2 on it to begin with, but sunshine's been inaccessible for much longer so it's probably better that it got included

No because we'll eventually get better emulated versions when they inevitably come to NSO GCN/Wii on Switch 2.

I think galaxy, sunshine, and galaxy 2 will eventually get rereleased separately at like 25 bucks a pop.

probably since i've never played either of the Galaxy games

I still wouldn't have bought it though, I refuse to participate in that whole time limited nonsense

I would have liked Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 HD as the all stars release, especially as they added Super Mario 64 to NSO anyway.

It was a poor title. I only bought it because of the limited release lol. Mario 64 deserved much better. Galaxy 2 deserved to be there too.

Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite video game of all time, right after the Pikmin games : P

I used to play it all the time with my dad when I was little. Those are very important and special memories to me💚

So to answer the question, I think I’m really happy they brought back Super Mario Sunshine on Switch : )

Sunshine, like most GameCube games, is ridiculously expensive, and on a system Nintendo seems to consider in a very weird middle ground where its classic but not enough to be NSO. Galaxy 2 is at least on Wii U-oh. Well now I guess idk, I hope Galaxy 2 comes eventually, genuinely feel like some 100 dollar NSO with Wii is more likely then GCN so...

I'm the clear minority here but, having played none of them (my first and only 3D Mario was Odyssey), I... I find Sunshine to be my favorite of the pack? I despised 64, really liked Galaxy but absolutely fell in love with Sunshine, and have replayed it with 100% runs every summer since (just two up until now, but it is a tradition I want to follow). So... no, do not touch my precious Sunshine.

I did play other 3D Mario games with my dad as well, but his favorite is also Super Mario Sunshine. 💚

I do wish they would have added SMG2 to the 3D All Stars Collection anyway, that way we would have had the full collection.

No. Galaxy 2 as well would have been an ideal inclusion, but Sunshine was my favorite pre-Odyssey 3D Mario!

Hell yes, the Galaxy games are the best of the older 3D Mario games.

Still so weird they didn't include that game.

I mean, I wish I could play Galaxy 2 but I somewhat enjoyed revisiting 64 and I absolutely loved being able to play through Sunshine so not really, I guess?

I still feel the same tbh. I am very happy with what I got from 3D All Stars, but it still feels like Galaxy 2 should get a rerelease in some form or other.

Why not both, as the proverb goes.

For better or worse, I'm glad I got to play Sunshine on Switch (even though it's janky as hell) and it's cool having a physical copy of the 3 that can be used portably.

Back
Top Bottom