• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Would you have rather just gotten a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection instead of the 3D All-Stars Collection on Switch?

Would you have rather just gotten a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection?

• Yep

Votes: 97 46.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 112 53.6%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

13 Sentinels Evangelist
Pronouns
He/Him
I revisited Galaxy 1 via the 3D All-Stars Collection recently, and I'm very happy that this version of the game exists. It looks and runs great on the Switch, and I think that they adapted the pointer functionality as adequately as they could given the lack of the Wii's IR sensor bar. Like a lot of people, Galaxy 1 and 2 are my favorite Mario games in the series by a large margin. And also like a lot of people, I was very disappointed by Galaxy 2's omittance from the 3D All-Stars Collection.

Switch_SM3DAS_AnnouncementTrailer_YT

One game in this picture gets 90% of the playtime in the collection

Looking back on this collection as a whole, I can't help but wish it had just been a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection instead. It's cool to have M64, Sunshine, and Galaxy in a package like this, but ultimately Galaxy is the real standout port while the other two are merely acceptable. The 720p version of Mario 64 here is fine, I guess, but I wouldn't say it's considerably better than just playing the emulated original via the NSO N64 app. Then Sunshine feels like a real missed opportunity being still locked to 30fps, and honestly Sunshine is probably the only mainline Mario game that I somewhat dislike if I'm being honest.

MV5BNWY0M2Y4MjItNWVmMy00OGNhLWE5MTctYzI2NzViNTRlMTU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjcyNzkwMTc@._V1_.jpg

Galaxy 2 is too good to be stuck in 480p purgatory

I just... can't believe they left out Galaxy 2. And now we're never gonna have an HD version of it on Switch. And that just fuckin' sucks, frankly.

I'm now playing Galaxy 2 on my Wii U via backwards compatibility through an mClassic, which is good but really stings coming off of the HD version of Galaxy 1 in the All-Stars Collection.

Seeing as how I've never beaten Mario 64 or played Sunshine, I'm happy I was finally able to cross off two important landmark Mario titles on the Switch. With Sunshine in HD, no less.

I also am almost sure we will get Galaxy 2 someday.

Mario 3D All Stars was mildly disappointing to me, for the wrong reasons, likely. It just made me realize Mario 64 has aged quite a bit from what I remembered, and how frustrating I found (and still do) Sunshine.

However, playing Galaxy again was amazing, and I feel like I could appreciate it in a way I never did the Wii version. So yes, I'd have likely taken a collection with both Galaxy games. Especially now that Mario 64 is also readily available on the NSO EP.

I think Mario 64 and Sunshine needed more being part of the collection than Galaxy 2 , especially Mario 64 (kinda sad though that they didnt port it to 16:9 ratio). I'm one of the people who thinks Mario 64 has aged really well though , I still loved playing it handheld my only issues are the mentioned aspect ratio and the camera but I only had issues with the camera like 5 times in my 120 stars playthrough. Still think Galaxy 2 should have been included even if as DLC just that if I have to choose 64+Sunshine>Galaxy 2

pd: Mario controll in 64 still the most fun of any 3D mario game btw even Odyssey ;)

From an objective standpoint Sunshine was easily the most inaccessible game of the four before the collection. And from a personal standpoint it was the only one I hadn’t played. So I would rather have Sunshine than SMG2.

Galaxy was easily the best of the pack in 3D All Stars but it is the ONLY game ever that made me feel sick. I had so many headaches from the upside down, round and round on small panets things, the camera didn't help a lot. It is a good game but I didn't have a blast. I finished it but have no intention of going back to do the extra stuff.
(Let's not even talk about how playing Mario64 again totally destroyed my good memories of it from 1997, that's a completely different discussion, but damn... But because of this I voted Yes)

Just for the heck of it I would like to play Galaxy 2, but I guess it will have the same effect on me.
But, why not, it could be the Mario game of this fall.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, 3D All Stars wasn't great, but at least we got a new physical release of 64 and Sunshine so I don't have to buy them + their original consoles from scalpers.

Galaxy 2 is tied for my favorite Mario platformer with 64, so I do wish we got it on Switch badly. However I voted no since Sunshine never had a rerelease and my copy on Gamecube had the Nokia Bay Blue Coin glitch so I was more than happy to revisit it and finally get 100% completion. Awesome game, way better than all the hate it gets online.

OP I 100% believe we will see Galaxy 2 in HD one day.

No, because I personally would rather have SM64 on Switch, but I do think Galaxy HD Collection is more essential than 3DAS was.

Those Galaxy games are visually stunning and deserve a proper HD treatment.

It's a thought I had back when the collection was announced; the lack of Galaxy 2 was especially noticeable. Not that all hope is lost for the game's re-release. After all, this collection was specifically a limited release. And leaving Galaxy 2 out could be meant to keep it for a Galaxy collection later on (it's 15 years now since that first game's release). Not necessarily a given, just a possibility.

Regardless, Galaxy 2 -- possibly even the Galaxies pack -- could theoretically still happen.

In which case, 64 and Sunshine saw the least possible chance of getting their own release. As someone who prefers for these things to be available physically, having this pack for those two (even if the third game of the pack ends up as part of another pack) is good for that reason. Of course, there's the whole artificial scarcity thing, but that's another issue.

I'll say it's good that we have 64 and Sunshine here.

It would be better to also have both Galaxies.

However, if just adding Galaxy 2 to the collection weren't an option, there are other ways for it to go.

Galaxy 1+2
Sunshine
+ (experiment like Bowser's Fury, maybe even Bowser's Fury)
Mario 64 as a bonus in something [insert madly genius ideas that will never happen].

If Bowser's Fury were included in that selection, 3D Land could then have been included with 3D World.
As stands, smallish experiments could be collected as an addition, where it becomes 3D Lands.

Granted, this is coming from someone who thought all the New Super Mario Bros. could have been collected as a send-off to that era.

Yes, none of this was ever realistic. Remember kids: either refuse to dream big, or get used to disappointment.

Last edited:
Probably. Sunshine wasn’t an appealing enough title to get the collection for 60 dollars, but knowing what we know now, with Mario 64 on NSO, I probably would have bought a duology. Throw in a 3D Land remaster and it’s a definitive yes.

Wouldn't some Galaxy 2 levels be extremely difficult because of the Yoshi segments? The pointer controls in the original Galaxy weren't exactly great.

I still don't own a copy of this. I have Odyssey I need to go back to and finish beforehand, but I'm definitely scratching my head at the omission of Galaxy 2.

It was probably Sunshine’s best chance at seeing the light of day on a modern system, though Galaxy 2 is the better game. Ultimately it’s a wash for me.

I still don't own a copy of this. I have Odyssey I need to go back to and finish beforehand, but I'm definitely scratching my head at the omission of Galaxy 2.
The changes necessary to implement the Yoshi controls is probably more than they wanted to bother with.

Don't want the product to have too high of a value, now.

Considering Galaxy 2 is my favorite game of all time, I'm inclined to say yes. However, 3D All-Stars did give us the first official release of Sunshine since the GameCube, so I'm a little split.

Nintendo needs to make an IR Sensor Bar accessory for Switch alongside Wii Remote / Nunchuck compatibility. Bundle it with Galaxy 2 and then bring back Sin and Punishment 2 and the Prime Trilogy. End the constantly decalibrating reign of gyro controls.

I was just happy to see Super Mario Sunshine re-released for the first time ever since 2002.

Wouldn't some Galaxy 2 levels be extremely difficult because of the Yoshi segments? The pointer controls in the original Galaxy weren't exactly great.

Tbh after getting Sunshine (because of the trigger controls), Galaxy, and freakin' Skyward Sword brought over, the "the controls would be too difficult to bring over" argument just doesn't hold that much weight anymore.

If Nintendo cares enough, they would find a way.

Nintendo needs to make an IR Sensor Bar accessory for Switch alongside Wii Remote / Nunchuck compatibility. Bundle it with Galaxy 2 and then bring back Sin and Punishment 2 and the Prime Trilogy. End the constantly decalibrating reign of gyro controls.
Honestly, I've kind of figured working on these capabilities (and also, for instance, analogue triggers!) could make sense to incorporate by default in the next console.

(Also, both Sin and Punishment games should be there [I like the idea of there also being another one as well. The series deserves it].)

But, yes, the capabilities to handle these should be present. And they should be celebrated, not held in shame.

Honestly, I've kind of figured working on these capabilities (and also, for instance, analogue triggers!) could make sense to incorporate by default in the next console.

(Also, both Sin and Punishment games should be there [I like the idea of there also being another one as well. The series deserves it].)

But, yes, the capabilities to handle these should be present. And they should be celebrated, not held in shame.
Yeah I feel the benefit of distancing themselves from the Wii branding has long been fulfilled. Now they are just losing out not bringing the great stuff back. I also really, really hope we get a Sin and Punishment 3 one day. I’m not sure they can ever top 2, but I want to see them try.

Also Joy Cons V2 having IR ready to go from the start would be most ideal I agree.

Galaxy 2 HD will be the first Wii game on the Online Expansion imo.

Galaxy 1 is one of my all-time favorites and i've never played Galaxy 2... so yes, i wish that. insert Denethor's voice here

Conceptually I get why it was only these 3 games.. as they were representative of different eras; But even me not loving Sunshine, it was worth being rereleased, since it's not often Nintendo's 1st Party output from the GameCube gets the treatment (even in Limited Form lol);

Now, both Galaxy games were already re-released once digitally on Wii U, so... :T

100%. Galaxy 2 is right up there with Portal and Portal 2 in terms of being nearly perfect.

I am of two minds when it comes to this.

On one hand, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is, in my opinion, a top 5 Super Mario game. Better than all of the games in 3D All-Stars, and I will defend that position for the rest of time. The fact that it isn't on Switch with Galaxy 1 is a massive shame. Objectively, if presented with the two games, I'd choose the Galaxy 1 and 2 collection.

On the other hand, Super Mario Sunshine had yet to see a re-release, and although fan efforts have largely trumped the official release, it was also nice to see the original Super Mario 64 on Switch. For historic reasons, if we had to get only one (and let's be real, that's something put on us by Nintendo), I think the collection we got makes the most sense.

...though both options still leave a 3D Mario off the Switch. I won't stand for this 3D Land erasure. Hey, Nintendo. I'll give you something that'll let you weasel more bucks outta us. Super Mario 3D All-Stars 2: Super Mario 64 DS, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Mario 3D Land. Let's you test out your fancy DS and 3DS emulators/porting tech, too. There's another 60 bucks from a few million consumers.

Last observation: wasn't the issue with Galaxy 2 handheld mode, not the Joy-Con? The pointer + recentering can handle the Yoshi pointer mechanics, it was mapping that to the strange touch control solution they went with. Though I wonder if a control stick would be fast enough to handle it...

Last edited:
I revisited Galaxy 1 via the 3D All-Stars Collection recently, and I'm very happy that this version of the game exists. It looks and runs great on the Switch, and I think that they adapted the pointer functionality as adequately as they could given the lack of the Wii's IR sensor bar. Like a lot of people, Galaxy 1 and 2 are my favorite Mario games in the series by a large margin. And also like a lot of people, I was very disappointed by Galaxy 2's omittance from the 3D All-Stars Collection.

Switch_SM3DAS_AnnouncementTrailer_YT

One game in this picture gets 90% of the playtime in the collection

Looking back on this collection as a whole, I can't help but wish it had just been a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection instead. It's cool to have M64, Sunshine, and Galaxy in a package like this, but ultimately Galaxy is the real standout port while the other two are merely acceptable. The 720p version of Mario 64 here is fine, I guess, but I wouldn't say it's considerably better than just playing the emulated original via the NSO N64 app. Then Sunshine feels like a real missed opportunity being still locked to 30fps, and honestly Sunshine is probably the only mainline Mario game that I somewhat dislike if I'm being honest.

MV5BNWY0M2Y4MjItNWVmMy00OGNhLWE5MTctYzI2NzViNTRlMTU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjcyNzkwMTc@._V1_.jpg

Galaxy 2 is too good to be stuck in 480p purgatory

I just... can't believe they left out Galaxy 2. And now we're never gonna have an HD version of it on Switch. And that just fuckin' sucks, frankly.

I'm now playing Galaxy 2 on my Wii U via backwards compatibility through an mClassic, which is good but really stings coming off of the HD version of Galaxy 1 in the All-Stars Collection.
I agree but luckily at least dolphin works well. It upscales quite nicely to higher resolutions would pay for an official HD port though

In hindsight, yes. I dropped 64 pretty fast after its physics annoyed me one too many times, and while Sunshine is honestly a pretty great game about 50% of the time it still pales in comparison to the Galaxies.

That being said, since I hadn't played 64 or Sunshine before All-Stars I'm pretty sure I would've thought differently beforehand.

Nah, the novelty of Sunshine being ported was crazy.

Sucks they left off Galaxy 2, but I wouldn’t trade what we got for it

I don't think so. I know 3D All-Stars gets hate even to this day, but I had a blast going through all three games when it released. It's three different flavors of 3D Mario, all unique in their own way. Even if Sunshine has some pretty big flaws I'm still grateful it's playable on Switch.

Uh... Nope. I'm not a fan of Galaxy 2, and i think the 3D All Stars Collection is perfect. If anything, It lacks 3D Land

Based on what we actually got, I'd have preferred a Galaxy 1+2 bundle. G1 is the only one in the collection that feels like a modern game and G2 is my favourite Mario platformer so it's an easy choice. But I don't think it'd have made for a good anniversary product.

The games included in 3DAS aren't really the issue, it's how little they did with 64 and Sunshine. If both were widescreen and 60fps that would have made for an excellent package.

Honestly, yeah. I don't care much for Sunshine, and 64 can be played via many different methods. I also don't enjoy it that much. I grew up with PS1, so going back to experience the first 3D platformer wasn't as smooth of an experience as actually playing one.

Although frankly, with the price tag it got, it SHOULD'VE gotten all 4 games, and maybe even 3D Land as a bonus, which is why I never picked it up. I got Spyro and Crash remastered collections on PSN maybe half a year after Spyro one came out for a third of what 3D All Stars asked for, and those games have received WAY more of a face-lift.

I believe the reason we never got Galaxy 2 was because the Yoshi parts would have been difficult to pull off on the Lite.

There are sections where you need to move Yoshi and use the pointer at the same time. Using the right stick might not have been snappy enough and the touch screen would have been too awkward.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking that Yoshi would be impossible to pull f on the Switch? This theory keeps being brought up time and time again but I don't think it has any merit. The pointer controls are already implemented for the first Galaxy and they work exactly the same when you are ridding Yoshi in Galaxy 2. There isn't anything too crazy precise required for it to be anywhere near impossible. I don't think people remember Galaxy 2 all that well.

Nintendo didn't include Galaxy 2 either because of time constraints or they didn't want to include "too much value" Both of these seem far more likely to me than that they couldn't get a mechanic that already works...to work.

But to the main point of the thread. NO. 64 and Sunshine were IMO way better than Galaxy. Although I wouldn't be opposed to removing Galaxy and swapping it with Galaxy 2.

But the more correct answer is that Nintendo should have included all five games, 3D Land included. The premise of the thread is a bit bizarre tbh.

I replayed the 3 titles of the collection with great pleasure, so I would have been sorry not to have them. But Galaxy 2 is just as a great game and I wish it had been added as a bonus title in a DLC.

Surely Super Mario 64 is due a full on Remake. It would have been perfect timing to Remake it using Odyssey assets overlaying the original code (like the Demon's Souls Remake) as a bridge between Odyssey and the next 3D Mario which at best will release five years apart.

Ocarina of Time is the same. They are leaving a potential 10+ million copies each and a combined billion dollars in revenue for both Remakes on the table for minimal work and marketing compared to creating brand new games in their respective series.

Sunshine is a game I've always wanted to play through (played through the first couple of Worlds at launch) but it being 30fps puts me right off. Maybe there will be a 60fps patch for it when the next Switch arrives or is it like Wind Waker where the animations are tied to 30?

Sunshine is a game I've always wanted to play through (played through the first couple of Worlds at launch) but it being 30fps puts me right off. Maybe there will be a 60fps patch for it when the next Switch arrives or is it like Wind Waker where the animations are tied to 30?

Sunshine was originally 60FPS before they downgraded it at the final moment before releasing to 30FPS back in 2002. There is a patch out there for the original game that can unlock the framerate to 60FPS when played on Wii through homebrew and you can do it through Dolphin too.

It is disappointing that Nintendo didn't update it to 60fps but I knew that would be the case as soon as we found out that 3D All-Stars are emulation and not actual ports. The Switch already has some trouble emulating Sunshine because the game has worse frame pacing issues than it does on original hardware.

They need to port the game natively to make it run at 60fps on Switch instead of just emulating it.

I think they should just have included Galaxy 2 in 3D All-Stars. I would have bought it were that the case.

But given the choice between 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 1+2, I'd pick the latter. I don't think 64 has aged particularly well and Sunshine is fine, but not especially amazing by the standards of Mario games. Galaxy 1 and 2 on the other hand are evergreen.

Maybe? I love Sunshine and 64, but Galaxy was the part of 3DAS that gained the most from a HD facelift imo. I think Galaxy 2 would look gorgeous on Switch.

I mean, I wish I could play Galaxy 2 but I somewhat enjoyed revisiting 64 and I absolutely loved being able to play through Sunshine so not really, I guess?

That's a tough question. On one hand, I had never had the chance to play Sunshine, and I was thrilled that it was finally made available again.

On the other hand, Galaxy 2 is still stuck on the Wii and is basically the only reason I haven't sold my Wii U yet, and it is a better game than Sunshine.

I just hope Galaxy 2 gets an HD release someday, but it might take years. Probably on the 40th anniversary?

If we're talking about what Nintendo should have done, then it should have been 64, Sunshine, both Galaxies, and 3D Land in the package, as that would have been more worthy of the $60 dollar price tag.

However, between the choice of 64+SMS+G or G+G2 I think Nintendo made the right call. It's a more interesting and diverse package of games (not to mention of the obvious of 3 games versus 2), and considering that Sunshine hadn't been released before, and the sorry state of N64 emu on Wii U VC, it's the more compelling package, even if it could have done more.

Not really. I wasn't a huge fan of Galaxy 1 nor its gameplay style. It's kind of my least favorite 3D Mario formula. The collection would just not entice me at all. (I haven't played 2 but I heard it's a step up over 1.)

With all that said, it is very dumb that Galaxy 2 never had a rerelease, at all. Outside of like, Wii U VC, but that's just Wii Mode on a system no one bought lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom