• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Would you have rather just gotten a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection instead of the 3D All-Stars Collection on Switch?

Would you have rather just gotten a Mario Galaxy 1+2 HD Collection?

• Yep

Votes: 97 46.4%
  • Nope

Votes: 112 53.6%

• Total voters
Yes, I would rather have those. I'm not a fan of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. The Super Mario Galaxy games on the other hand are among my favorites in the franchise.

We eventually got Mario 64 on NSO, and playing Mario Sunshine again just made me remember why I didn't like it that much even back then.

A galaxy collection would have been a lot better as far as i am concerned.

If you swapped out Sunshine for Galaxy 2 with Galaxy's improvements...

I'd take Sunshine by itself over the collection. It gained the most from the rerelease and is my favorite of the mentioned titles.

64 is pretty much a non factor to me in this discussion because I knew it’d come eventually via NSO and it’s my least favorite of the bunch anyway.

So it really comes down to Sunshine vs. Galaxy 2.

On one hand, Galaxy 2 is the better game of course. On the other, there was definitely a huge novelty factor in sunshine being ported for the first time. It’s always felt like a black sheep (despite introducing mainstays like Jr and Petey) and just a weird little game I wouldn’t have been shocked if Nintendo never ported. And I still do love the game.

Yeah, it’s hard to choose for me lol

It's not impossible, but it would require more changes than they would want to bother with for a basic collection like this. The pointing controls require more complex movement than anything in 1.

Truthfully I don't see what would be gained from remaking Mario 64 and OOT. Their design is more or less fine as is, and if they wanted to completely reinvent them, they might as well just make new games. I don't think it would necessarily be "minimal work" either.
I love 64 but let’s be honest remaking it would just be bizarre with how much more big and complex odyssey’s levels are.

If it had odyssey’s art style and stuff, the comparison would be unavoidable. It’d just be a much smaller Odyssey to many. It would feel very basic.

Despite being over a decade old they were still kinda fresh in my mind, whereas I hadn't played 64 and Sunshine since my childhood, so I prefer what we got.

My thoughts on this topic are the same as the ones I shared earlier in this thread...all the way back in April 2022, goodness gracious. Galaxy 2 is still my favorite of the four original 3D Mario games, but Sunshine really needed the re-release. The wait for all of the 3D Mario games on one platform continues...

Nope. I like Galaxy 2 a lot, but I absolutely adore Sunshine, so having it on a modern system on HD and also portable is a dream come true. Of the four of them I would have thought that Sunshine would be the less probable to be remastered, so I'm glad things turned out as it did, even if I still want a port of Galaxy 2.

Yeah probably. Galaxy 2 deserves to be unshackled from the Wii as it's one of the best games Nintendo's ever made and Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario. I don't really need 64 somewhere else. I'd say no if they'd gotten Sunshine working at 60fps as at least that would feel like some kind of improvement to it.

Considering that 64 is on nso
And sunshine is …. We’ll just say divisive…
Galaxy 1 and 2 would be preferable

But I would have also accepted all stars if it had galaxy 2 in place of galaxy

You know, I’d probably buy galaxy 2 stand alone full price.

Nah. SM64 and SMS are both historical games, while SMG2 is neat but not really something that has to be there to represent the 3D series history.

Back
Top Bottom