• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you go to jail for a year for 300,000 USD

Sure. That's enough money for me to buy a house with.

Yes, but in part because jail is a fair bit easier than prison. Prison isn't such a no-brainer
I’ve had family tell me they preferred prison over jail and described prison as a couple years of boredom vs the chaos of the initial stay in jail.

To answer the thread though, absolutely. It would pay off my house and every other bit of debt I have and still have half left over.

That's enough to buy the 3 bed house I lived in until 2019 about three times over. And my income is <9k USD per year. So yeah, no brainer for me.

Last edited:
Depends. Jail in my home country of Norway, which has the most humane prison system in the world? Maybe. Jail in the USA? No way in hell.

As a translator, I would actually be able to work full-time since all I need is a PC and internet connection. Aside from the money, it would be a good way to pass the time.

Last edited:
Not NEARLY enough money lol. This isn't even 300k net, I'd be losing out on my salary in the meantime

Absolutely no, I value a year of my life far more than that

I wouldn't want to spend a year in jail. Also I'm in the United States, so no way lol. Maybe a Scandinavian one.

Not everyone is working for 300k
The point of view applies to almost any income for me, not what I may or may not make currently (I certainly do not make 300k in a sinlge year if that is what you are implying). I am just saying that losing that time with my family for a year isn't worth 300k. There are other factors however that could sway my answer that you did not specify.

Does the person in question even have a family?

Are they living in the streets?

Do they have a sick loved one and that 300k would go to them in advance while they did their time?

For me, none of the above apply and that is why I gave my answer the way I did. It doesn't matter if it takes me 2 years or 5 years to make 300k on my own, to me working for it is the better option. Since the question was simply, "would you go to jail for a year for 300k", that is all I based my reply off of.

Last edited:
300K is not enough for me to consider trading a year of my life. 3 million and I might consider it, but even then I don't think I would. I'd miss out on a lot.

Do I have an arrest record in this deal or is this like
60 Days In and some TV company is paying me as an experiment to be in Jail?

Anyway, Going to give it a no at that price.

It amounts to be about about $821 a day
If I spent a year of my life hard-studying a useful topic while still being free,
Pretty sure I could get close to 50% to 75% of $821 per working day as a profession.

Quoted by: Ab
Absolutely. 300,000 is 10x more than I make in a year. Even if it wasn't. I'd get 3 meals a day. Shower. Free time to get a hobby.
I've went longer than a year without seeing my family. (Thanks pandemic)
If I got the 300,000 to pay my rent while I'm in there then don't have to worry about that.
A year isn't too long to set you up for life. You can do a lot with that amount.

Do I have an arrest record in this deal or is this like
60 Days In and some TV company is paying me as an experiment to be in Jail?

Anyway, Going to give it a no at that price.

It amounts to be about about $821 a day
If I spent a year of my life hard-studying a useful topic while still being free,
Pretty sure I could get close to 50% to 75% of $821 per working day as a profession.
I don't think spending a year studying something even useful will get you 821 a day. Maybe 3-6 years if you're lucky. Jail is the easier option

I imagine this is the main variable. To those satisfied with their lives, losing a year seems untenable. To someone like me, it's a very appealing exchange
This, and what your salary is. If your making 200 000 a year just doing your current job, then of course not.

No matter the pain I go through, no matter the financial direness I'm in, a year of my life is something I place tremendous value in.

Like, it seems appealing at first, but thinking about it, I never know in life what's going to happen. Like, what if I, when I get released, the world goes to hell, or a loved one passes? Or what if something else happens when I get released, an accident or something that would make the rest of my life much more difficult. I missed the very last year worth anything, the very last year I could've enjoyed things I can't enjoy, or the last year I could've spent with ones who are now gone. All for 300k.

Really confused so many people say a year is so valuable and can't be missed - I'd call that a pretty decent chunk of change that could set you up in investments quite fast if you're young. Playing the long game here, if you can retire early, that's way more time with family than this year that's so valuable. I'm not much of a family person myself but it seems shortsighted either way to give up that much more than a yearly salary, tax-free.

But that also comes with the caveat, I'd need more details on the deal, does this come with a prison record? I have to tell people I was in jail? If I could just be rehired right out of jail at my old job, it would be trivial. Is this a dangerous jail where I can be injured or die? Not such a slam dunk.

Really confused so many people say a year is so valuable and can't be missed - I'd call that a pretty decent chunk of change that could set you up in investments quite fast if you're young. Playing the long game here, if you can retire early, that's way more time with family than this year that's so valuable. I'm not much of a family person myself but it seems shortsighted either way to give up that much more than a yearly salary, tax-free.

But that also comes with the caveat, I'd need more details on the deal, does this come with a prison record? I have to tell people I was in jail? If I could just be rehired right out of jail at my old job, it would be trivial. Is this a dangerous jail where I can be injured or die? Not such a slam dunk.
It probably varies by country but at least in the US, going to jail for a year would probably fuck you up

Eh probably not. Even disregarding how hard prison is to live in, losing a year of your life sucks. I make around 100k a year right now, so I'd essentially be trading a year of living for 200k. Money that would just go back into my savings for a house anyways (which, that's like, maybe enough for a good downpayment where I live, but I still wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage). And assuming it's taxed it would likely not be enough for a down-payment here. So I'd probably still be living with my parents afterwards. I'd also miss out on a year of salary growth. Potentially a lot more if the prison is something future employers could look up about me.

I'd probably do it for a couple million (with no required taxes) though.

Last edited:
Really confused so many people say a year is so valuable and can't be missed - I'd call that a pretty decent chunk of change that could set you up in investments quite fast if you're young.
Yeah, and being out of jail doesn't necessarily mean time to DO things, either. That year lost to jail would be a hard thing to schedule fun times in, but the rest of the decade would be a LOT easier without needing to be stuck giving 50-70 hours/week to work+commute.

I don't know on one hand your freedom is taken away which would make me sad (obviously) but on the other hand prisons in my country are very human.

Is the 300k tax free? Cause after tax that would be more like 200k, not that I think either number is worth it. Give me 3 million tax free and I'll do a year without even batting an eye.

nah that’s not enough
I’d like to at least be able to buy a decent house
Move to Delaware. Shut is cheap here and I am 30 mins from Philly, 30 mins from New Jersey, 90 mins from DC, hour from Baltimore, 90 mins to NYC. It’s great!

Honestly I think I would, a year is easily worth that much money to me. Even easier if it's a jail in my home country but I'd go to US jail for it too. Some of the replies here made me think I misread and the OP said 10 years or something, you're not missing that much in a year.

I look forward to the day these hypothetical threads become a reality on our path to an increasingly dystopian society by all the the overly rich, bored pieces of shit. How many attempts would actually be made while the person waiting to award the prize money exploits your incarceration for more likes, views, and monetary gain? I wonder if any influencers own a private prison yet... Cool thread though.

Nah, man. I live way too comfy of a life. I'd probably die in jail lol

Plus I imagine trying to get a job afterwards would be hell.

"I see you've got a year-long gap on your resume?"

"Oh that? I went to jail for a bet!"

Back
Top Bottom