• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Would you be interested in a Nintendo equivalent to the Xbox Elite Controller/DualSense Edge?

Would you be interested in a Nintendo equivalent to the Xbox Elite Controller/DualSense Edge?

• Absolutely, I’d love one, regardless of price.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Sure, but only if it wasn’t too expensive.

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • No, I’m OK with the existing Pro Controller.

Votes: 45 51.1%
  • No, I’d rather use Joy-Cons in a grip.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • No, I prefer a third party controller (8BitDo, for example)

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • No, I only play handheld.

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
I love the Switch Pro Controller, but I do have to admit that it really does lack in the “premium feeling” department. I, personally, would love a Nintendo Switch Elite Controller: steel parts, a bit more heft, optional programmable back paddles, a significantly better D-Pad, the ability to tighten/loosen the analog sticks. Heck, this would be a good product to introduce hall-sensor sticks, as well. Honestly, I’d pay a good bit of money for a super-premium feeling Switch Pro Controller, on the same quality level as an Xbox Elite Controller.

What about you? Would that be something you’d be interested in?

I’m fine with the joy cons. Now if they introduced some high quality elite joy cons I might be interested in that.

I love the Switch Pro Controller, but I do have to admit that it really does lack in the “premium feeling” department. I, personally, would love a Nintendo Switch Elite Controller: steel parts, a bit more heft, optional programmable back paddles, a significantly better D-Pad, the ability to tighten/loosen the analog sticks. Heck, this would be a good product to introduce hall-sensor sticks, as well. Honestly, I’d pay a good bit of money for a super-premium feeling Switch Pro Controller, on the same quality level as an Xbox Elite Controller.

What about you? Would that be something you’d be interested in?
I love the feel, so don’t think I need any more heft. Admittedly some is needed because the Wii U controller is too light. I said not too expensive, so basically think back paddles, better d pad, and some adjustments/macro programming (do it in the NSO app) would be cool.

Now for expensive controllers, I would like fully compartmentalized controllers. How great would it be to have swappable stick locations where you could go from offset to in line stick placement just by removing a section of a controller and plugging in a new one? Or move the d pad to the top for 2D games. Surprised this isn’t an option but I guess the console manufacturers want their distinct look maintained.

I already fell for the Xbox Elite Controller hype when it first released, and ended up never using any of the extra features and sold the thing. Basic controllers are enough for me, I even avoid the back buttons on my Steam Deck because I just can't be bothered with anything extra.

Nah. Controllers cost too much as is.

I have the 8bitdo Ultimate controller for Switch. While the Hall Effect analog sticks are nice, I didn’t like the back paddles and kept accidentally pressing them. I was so certain that was going to be a game changer for me. That said, none of the other Elite controller additions are things I’d want to pay extra for.

Add Hall Effects analog sticks to the existing Pro Controller and that’d be good enough for me.

If they'd release hall-effect Joycons or Pro Controller, I might be tempted... otherwise I'm fine with the controller as is.
(Especially since I'm like 99% handheld since I upgraded to the ZOLED)

Nah. Controllers cost too much as is.
Also this XD

An Elite Pro Controller with swappable analog pads, better haptic motors and even better build quality? Sign me up.

I like the existing Switch Pro Controller quite a bit. In terms of grip, button placement, and button size, it's one of my favorites. I would be reasonably swayed by an elite option, even though I've never used the Xbox or Sony equivalent. Even if it's a bit of a novelty, it's a cool novelty that I would use significantly. More so if there are some nice color options! Give me some red on my Pro Controller!

I do hope that some of these features come to a Pro Controller 2 instead of being elite exclusive options. A better D-Pad and hall effect sticks should be standard in a new iteration, especially if it continues to target 70 dollars (or higher!) as a price point.

These premium controllers should just be the norm. Back buttons, customizable joysticks etc. are good features to have, and should be adopted for the basic controllers. After playing TotK, regular controllers definitely need more bindings

Only if it is on par or better than the 8bitdo ultimate bluetooth controller. That's the best out and my personal favorite.

switch pro controller is the best a controller has ever fit in my hands, so I think any manner of improvement for y’all would be a detriment for me

just googling prices it looks like the Xbox Elite controllers cost about 40 bucks more than the Switch Pro ones

i'm fine with the Pro controller but sure, i'd drop an extra 40 bucks for a bit more quality

Nothing I could really see being added to the pro controller that would make it feel "premium" that shouldn't already be added to the base controller (like hall effect joysticks or ANALOG TRIGGERS), so only if it weren't priced too excessively I could see myself picking up one (1) elite pro controller.

Quoted by: SiG
I love the switch pro controller but I would rather my only 2 issues with it changed rather than an elite contoller: A better D pad and Analogue triggers, apart from that it’s perfect as is for me. Some other colour options would be nice also.

Yes but it’s contingent on new hardware. There’s nothing Nintendo could do to the current Switch controllers to convince me to buy a new one.

Nothing I could really see being added to the pro controller that would make it feel "premium" that shouldn't already be added to the base controller (like hall effect joysticks or ANALOG TRIGGERS), so only if it weren't priced too excessively I could see myself picking up one (1) elite pro controller.

Bring back the GameCube analog shoulder buttons with digital clicks!
The only other controller that did that was oddly enough the Steam Controller.

I'm all in on handheld so it would be useless to me, I don't even have a Pro Controller

I think the joy cons do need to be improved, but i dont really see much need in creating a better version of the pro controller.

The joy cons do need it tho. But its something that could be fixed on the switch 2.

Add analog triggers like on the other consoles, or at the very least something akin to the GC controller.
Make the face buttons a tad bigger, they too small.
Make analog sticks a tad bigger. they too small.
Make the Home button, screenshot button a lil more up, its too deep on both joycons and pro controller.
The + and - buttons are kinda pointy, make them a bit softer and a little bigger as well.
Give the joy cons some grip, make them slightly bigger and give them those... finger grooves idk how its called lol.
Add a headphone jack space, to both the joy cons and pro controller.

Hori Split Pad Pro is all you need for Elite Joy-Cons. I don't trust Nintendo to make controllers that don't fail in a year now so I won't buy any more expensive version.

Give me a cheap Ultimate kind of controller and we're golden.

In the grand scheme of things, the only truly useful stuff "Elite" controllers have added to the mix are back paddles, i experienced them for the first time with the Steam Controller and got hooked, and would happily get a 8bitdo Ultimate if it weren't beause they still wont implement HD Rumble.

In fact, i hate "Elite" controllers precisely because they have taken what could have been the next base feature and made them into a feature you have to pay a premium for. Vave got the right idea and then Sony made the right call with the back button accessory.

Hall effect joysticks should just be a standard.

If I'm not mistaken though, and I could be totally fact checked here, SCUF has some nonsense patent over back buttons and Valve was fined because of that, and I would imagine that also plays a part in why the DualSense Edge and Xbox Elite Controllers are so expensive. The other part is totally for the "super premium" experience for bigger margins, but if it's to pay patent fees for SCUF that'll be another thing there.

Generally, I'd be interested in the Nintendo equivalent of a controller that can sustain more than 12-16 months of daily usage. Gone through two pairs of joycon, an additional 2 pairs of replacement sticks for said joycon, and one pro controller since launch.

Am I interested in a controller in the range of 120-150€? Not so much.

No to an Elite. Just don’t see the value in it. I’m far from an elite player.

More colourful Pro editions? Yeah please

For Switch 2 I would like to see a Pro 2 with some improvements, hall effect sticks etc, maybe even analogue triggers, but I hope original Pros are still supported

It’s been years since I’ve owned one but I always remember the Pro Controller as being weirdly shaped and a little uncomfortable to use. Maybe a theoretical Elite version would address that! But I wound up with an 8bitdo Pro 2 in the NES-ish colours and I don’t find myself wanting for anything else

Existing Pro controller is a lovely little device to use. I'd have zero interest in a premium tier Switch controller.

What I want out of a better Switch controller:

• Three part controller like joy-cons + grip but in a form factor closer to Pro controller when put together and which can attach to the switch in handheld mode
  • Some way to incorporate infrared pointer functionality like wii
  • Actually great d-pad (personally I'd love a slightly larger version of the GBA SP one, though I don't think that's a popular opinion lol)
  • Hall effect sticks
  • 3.5mm jack on grip
  • AA battery powered, at least as an option
  • Analogue triggers

Everything apart from the first two should just be standard on controllers though tbh. I wouldn't be able to justify paying more than £80 I think.

Last edited:
Aren't Xbox Elite controllers notoriously prone to hardware issues that make stick drift look minor?

Regardless, the Switch Pro Controller has enough weight to it and feels comfortable to hole. It also has gyro, which Xbox still doesn't feature as standard.

The Pro Controller feels perfect. I don’t need more buttons. For dpad games I prefer to have the dpad in the main spot that can’t be done on the same controller. For me it’s Pro Controller for 3D and SN30 (Pro) for 2D.

For all casual gaming I think nothing beats separated Joy Con.

But I’d love to get more Colors, especially now with the OLED main theme being black/white, where is the black and white Pro Controller?

Where's the poll option for split joycons? That's my preferred way to play. So much more comfortable to play with your arms in any position. I'm surprised PlayStation and Xbox haven't started to sell split controllers as an option.

I'd definitely get one if the build quality was good and it had useful extra features, as long as it wasn't TOO expensive.

I haven't bought a Dualsense Edge because of the price, if Nintendo ever made one and it was as expensive, absolutely not.

Back
Top Bottom