• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will we ever get another game in Nintendo's best series (Excite)?

tender

tender
Founder
Just feels like we have a Nintendo arcade racer series that has consistently improved throughout time, is constantly referenced and yet, we're constantly shortchanged on getting a nice double A Excite game in modern times.

220px-Excitebike_%28NES%29_screenshot.png

Rewind to NES, a near perfect physics-y racing game, lots of charm. Lots of weird arcade-only Vs. follow ups. Eventually a Wii style release.

Very much dormant until an unlikely, and very faithful N64 follow-up. On a system LOADED with arcade racers included some that have never been topped (Wave Race 64), Excitebike 64 stands out and offers an oft overlooked arcade racing experience (check it out on NSO if you don't believe me.)

Excitebike-64-2.png

But it wasn't until much later when Monster Games revitalized the license with the Wii launch title Excite Truck. As someone present at the launch, it was very much looked at as an oddity and a game that really had no place among modern gamers. I can say, also from that experience, that Excite Truck and Trauma Center were the two most interesting games beyond Wii Sports that ignited a spark into the Wii's release. Completely different than previous games in the "series" but at the same time, very reminiscent of the vibe.

But then Monster Games decided to one-up THEMSELVES and released...

maxresdefault.jpg

Excitebots: Trick Racing, which was Excite Truck in everything but name, but doubling down on what they added to the brand and offering even more unique vehicle designs (almost harkening back to something like Uniracers).

Basically: we NEED a new entry in the Excite series. We need something that lives up to the name.

The requirements:
  • physics
  • tricks
  • boosts
  • speed
Lets will this into existence, and who has love for this series like I do?

Internal made original.

Left Field made 64.

Monster made the Wii entries.

Don't think its unfathomable that another studio could step in.
Even when they were working with Nintendo after the Wii they didn’t even attempt to do so. Them leaving puts the series in a very precarious place that I doubt other studios are gonna jump on.

I've never gotten around to any of the sequels, but Excitebike is shockingly good for its vintage. It only really has enough content to it to play for a few minutes at a time, but that the gameplay remains exciting and strategic is astonishing, the game is from 1984!

This thread makes my heart happy.

Off-road anything is so huge right now. Chunky off-roader SUVs are the new sports cars. Nobody seems to want a little sports coupe or convertible these days, they want a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Nintendo should absolutely make a new EXCITE TRUCK.

I’d actually support also bringing back 1080 and Wave Race under the Excite banner as sort of Nintendo’s sports/outdoor brand.

Switch is the first ever Nintendo home console to not get its own original Excitebike game or Excitebike adjacent product (even MK8 had the Excitebike Arena on Wii U)... That puts it in the same category as Donkey Kong.

IIRC i'm pretty sure they're solely a development support studio now, with the last fully original projects they've done being the Mario Vs Donkey Kong series.

They made Bowser's Fury as the primary developer (with a few support staff from EPD Tokyo). They are no longer a support studio.

They made Bowser's Fury as the primary developer (with a few support staff from EPD Tokyo). They are no longer a support studio.
Maybe that was them “scaling up” and they’re making The Super Mario Bros. Movie Game for holiday 2023 >_>

NST is very much a subordinate studio at the moment. A very important one that is at least involved in bigger games now than they have been the last 10 years. Did they do a lot of work on Bowser’s Fury? Yes. Did they create it from scratch? No.

I think it’s very likely NST is assisting on 2D and 3D Mario. Which would be the biggest games they’ve ever worked on.

Maybe something NST could do? I'd even be happy if they did a remaster of Excite Truck.

There’s several developers who could probably make a solid entry. It’s up to Nintendo and Tanabe to decide if and where. Nintendo racing games are a sadly missed catalog.

Switch is the first ever Nintendo home console to not get its own original Excitebike game or Excitebike adjacent product (even MK8 had the Excitebike Arena on Wii U)... That puts it in the same category as Donkey Kong.
Uh, GameCube? I suppose you are counting the Satellaview Mario Excitebike game as the SNES product.

If they find a proper studio to handle the franchise, yeah why not. I suggest Raw Thrills, makers of the recent Cruis'n Blast game for Arcade/Switch. They know how to make absolutely bonkers racers, they'd definitely do justice for something like Excite Truck.

I’ve kinda been speculating for a minute that a new Excite game is a dark horse candidate to be a first party launch title to compliment a new 3D Mario on the Successor.

Uh, GameCube? I suppose you are counting the Satellaview Mario Excitebike game as the SNES product.

Uhh… Excitetruck was made for two Gamecubes ducktaped together, it still counts! Shut up! :p

Ok, I might've forgotten about Gamecube...
If they find a proper studio to handle the franchise, yeah why not. I suggest Raw Thrills, makers of the recent Cruis'n Blast game for Arcade/Switch. They know how to make absolutely bonkers racers, they'd definitely do justice for something like Excite Truck.

That's a good shout actually! Raw Thrills would be a good choice of developer, especially considering that they already have a working relationship with Nintendo (Cruis'n Blast). They could even do a combined Arcade/Switch 2 release!

Back
Top Bottom