• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Predictions Will There Be A September Direct?

will there be a September direct

• Total voters
Disclaimer: I'm not joining any avatar bets or similar.

While i had no luck participating recent polls / bets (cough*Prime4*cough), i'll try again ... I say "No September Direct", but a first half of September Switch 2 reveal with some cross-gen announcements that basically "play the part" a September Direct would have.
This isn't a betting poll

I'm thinking a Partner Showcase or a Mini. But as I was putting together this post... I think they could do one more proper Direct just for Switch if they really wanted to. Like, really wanted to. Looking at their known first-party release lineup for the period that Directs cover (next 6 months, plus a handful of further out stuff):
  • September: The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (could get a new trailer)
  • October: Super Mario Party Jamboree (could get a new trailer)
  • November: Mario & Luigi: Brothership (could get a new trailer)
  • December: Nothing (potential for a new game to be announced for this slot)
  • January: Donkey Kong Country Returns HD (could get a new trailer; albeit part of a sizzle reel section)
  • February: Nothing (potential for a new game to be announced for this slot)
  • March: Presumably the launch month of the successor (potential for a new game to be announced for this slot regardless)
  • April-June: Metroid Prime 4: Beyond, probably (could get a new trailer, but doubt it would; potential for a second game to be announced for this Spring launch window)
So new trailers for three-to-five known games, and possible reveals for two-to-three Switch games that can act as tentpole announcements.

That said, I'm sticking to my Partner/Mini vote. After all, they could have done a regular Direct in February but decided against it; maybe because Echoes of Wisdom was seen as the only "big" reveal they could have done that would have lived up to the expectations they know that the normal "Nintendo Direct" label has: they weren't going to open or close a general Direct with Endless Ocean or Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition. And I think a September Direct could be in a similar situation, where Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War might be the only big Switch title they've yet to reveal for H1 2025, so Nintendo might decide it isn't worth it to do anything more than a Mini or Partner Showcase.

Thank you for compiling this! Although this kind of sums up my feeling for why there will be a full Direct this autumn. There’s space for December and February announcements plus some smaller shadow drops and new trailers for the games announced.

To add to this, I’m fairly certain we’ll get an update on Legends AZ in a Pokémon Presents in August and that Nintendo will want to follow up on that substantially in a Direct.

I had a tough time choosing. In the end, I picked yes because I'm not totally convinced the Switch 2 is launching in March.

However, the September slot could just as easily be used for the console reveal, so it's hard to guess right now.

Yes.

There will be another Nintendo Direct, only Switch for games 2024 and early 2025.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the Super Switch before the end of 2025.

We will have the succker reveal in Sept, then a minidirect in the same month or october. And then the full blowout of the succker in January.

nah
if last direct was in like march or earlier then i could see it.

but not only that, the direct featured a bunch of 2025 announcements so i dont think they have much to talk about for this year
if anything, we'll have a partner direct or indie showcase in like September or later

I wouldn't be against another direct but I think their lineup for the rest of the year is fine. I expect a Switch 2 presentation in the Fall more than a general direct.

I think there will be a general, yeah. At the very least, there should be some kind of Direct before Tokyo Game Show. I'm betting on a general though, part cope cuz I want to see FE4 remake, but also part logic because there's additional 1st party possibilities (remasters, remakes, unexpected new games), and we'll eventually need to get more info on Mario and Luigi, Prime 4, Zelda, Pokemon Legends. Zelda will probably get most/all of its new trailers/info prior to the Direct since in releases on the first day of TGS, and Prime 4 showing up is 50/50 depending on when it releases and whether or not the crossgen theory holds up, but M&L and Pokemon are locks imo.

The "logic" part of my belief in a September general isn't just because of the games, though. I feel like the people who think we're getting Switch 2 revealed before 2025 are honestly coping waaaay harder than I am about FE4 lol. Nintendo's got a pretty full slate of NEW games for the second half of this year, there's almost no chance imo that they overshadow those games and the Switch's last Holiday season just to appease some forum nerds. Nintendo specifically said they would reveal Switch 2 during the fiscal year, which goes until the end of March of next year. To me, the signs are all pointing to an early 2025 Switch 2 reveal, possibly as late as March, and possibly with a launch somewhere between June and September 2025.

Donkey Kong January, Fire Emblem February (plz), and Pokemon March seems like a pretty good Q1 2025 to me, not to mention whatever 3rd party games may release during these months. So, it's not as if we're doomed to get no big new releases from Nintendo without a Q1 2025 Switch 2 release.

I think the next direct will be the Switch 2 reveal. When that occurs is kind of interesting. People are pretty confidently placing that thing as coming out in March 2025.
I'm more confident it gets announced in March 2025, to release sometime between May-September

Edit: If it were releasing this FY, wouldn't their hardware forecast be at least somewhat higher than the 13M they offered?

I went with the mini / partner option, because a partner in September like February just makes sense. Nintendo just showed us a lot of first-party content yesterday, and almost all the games in it will be coming after the time they’d have a September Direct, so I don’t really feel good about the chances of a general Direct again this year. If there is one, it’d almost certainly be mostly recap.

If the Switch 2 doesn’t launch until next Summer at earliest, however, they’ll need to address February-May or however long ahead of time. This could still be done with a couple simple Twitter dropped games. We’ll see, but my bet for a while now has been just the one general this year that was yesterday, and a reveal of the next system maybe October, unless it’s further out than we think.

We’re either getting a September Direct or a switch 2 reveal around that time. Getting both is possible, getting neither is impossible.

If no switch 2 reveal until next year, Nintendo’s gonna want to continue “everything’s normal, nothing to see here!” mode and will have a full September direct focus on Switch. It could be a grasping at straws one, but they’ll do regardless.

If Switch 2 reveal, they could let that be the big event and do twitter direct or partner showcase

I'm more confident it gets announced in March 2025, to release sometime between May-September

Edit: If it were releasing this FY, wouldn't their hardware forecast be at least somewhat higher than the 13M they offered?
I kind of hope not. As much as I love my Switch, it is a very old device at this point. I bought it near launch and it still works great but I am long past ready for an upgrade. That being said, if we don't hear about Switch 2 in the fall then I think you are probably right that it won't launch in March.

We’re either getting a September Direct or a switch 2 reveal around that time. Getting both is possible, getting neither is impossible.

If no switch 2 reveal until next year, Nintendo’s gonna want to continue “everything’s normal, nothing to see here!” mode and will have a full September direct focus on Switch. It could be a grasping at straws one, but they’ll do regardless.

If Switch 2 reveal, they could let that be the big event and do twitter direct or partner showcase
I think it's possible they'll just do a series of Twitter reveals and trailers/mini-directs to cover their H2 stuff, then do a blowout in late 2024 (December?).

But really this could go either way. Hard to say definitively. If I had to say... no normal September Direct.

Are we thinking we get something somewhat significant for the hardware this year beyond a first look at the hardware (like they did for the Switch in October 2016)? I was kind of thinking they would follow something similar but I guess it is possible we see a handful of first-party games for it revealed fully this year!

I think there will be a general, yeah. At the very least, there should be some kind of Direct before Tokyo Game Show. I'm betting on a general though, part cope cuz I want to see FE4 remake, but also part logic because there's additional 1st party possibilities (remasters, remakes, unexpected new games), and we'll eventually need to get more info on Mario and Luigi, Prime 4, Zelda, Pokemon Legends. Zelda will probably get most/all of its new trailers/info prior to the Direct since in releases on the first day of TGS, and Prime 4 showing up is 50/50 depending on when it releases and whether or not the crossgen theory holds up, but M&L and Pokemon are locks imo.

The "logic" part of my belief in a September general isn't just because of the games, though. I feel like the people who think we're getting Switch 2 revealed before 2025 are honestly coping waaaay harder than I am about FE4 lol. Nintendo's got a pretty full slate of NEW games for the second half of this year, there's almost no chance imo that they overshadow those games and the Switch's last Holiday season just to appease some forum nerds. Nintendo specifically said they would reveal Switch 2 during the fiscal year, which goes until the end of March of next year. To me, the signs are all pointing to an early 2025 Switch 2 reveal, possibly as late as March, and possibly with a launch somewhere between June and September 2025.

Donkey Kong January, Fire Emblem February (plz), and Pokemon March seems like a pretty good Q1 2025 to me, not to mention whatever 3rd party games may release during these months. So, it's not as if we're doomed to get no big new releases from Nintendo without a Q1 2025 Switch 2 release.

Honestly, I'm starting to have serious doubts about Fire Emblem 4 Remake.....

For me, the start of 2025 is going to be for Donkey Kong Country Returns HD, Pokemon Z-A and Metroid Prime 4 Beyond.

Almost assuredly, currently Nintendo has 3 games announced for 2025; DKC:R HD (January), Pokemon Legends ZA (2025), and Metroid Prime 4 (2025). The latter two games need release dates at the minimum, even if one or both ends up being cross gen. I full expect the successor to be backwards compatible, and I expect Nintendo will keep up their at least 1 game a month release schedule, probably with a mix of Switch 1 games playable on the successor via BC, actual cross gen releases, and Switch 2 exclusives. I fully expect Nintendo to release games for the Switch 1 well into 2026 maybe even 2027.

As for what could be in a September direct? Nintendo can announce the oft rumored FE4 remake, the other rumored remasters in Zelda WW/TP and Prime 2/3, another small new game like Peach Showtime (maybe another Kirby game), another small remake/remaster like Another Code and Mario vs DK, and another NSO update. Third parties and indies will probably have plenty new to announce, along with updates to games already announced for 2025 (Last Defense Academy, Layton 7, etc). This could be a mini, it could be a full general, but Nintendo has at minimum to detail Q1 2025 before the successor is on the market.

Honestly, I'm starting to have serious doubts about Fire Emblem 4 Remake.....

There's no reason to doubt a FE4 remake. It's one of the most popular games in the series in Japan, it's the next game in line to get a remake, and the same people who detailed/leaked Engage are the same ones who detailed FE4 remake. It's like doubting the existence of Everybody's 1-2 Switch when that first got rumored, Nintendo will just sit on things for long periods of time because they can.

Last edited:
100% There will be a September Direct focused on the current Switch. It will highlight and give updates on the 1st party games they already announced for the Holiday season. They will also give updates and reveal games for early 2025.

They will do one in September, Level 5 games are still a big question mark plus whatever else is revealed at TGS.

Might be a mini or partner but honestly would not be surprised if it's a Full and we get FE remake and some of the ports we have heard rumblings for plus other surprises.

Almost assuredly, currently Nintendo has 3 games announced for 2025; DKC:R HD (January), Pokemon Legends ZA (2025), and Metroid Prime 4 (2025). The latter two games need release dates at the minimum, even if one or both ends up being cross gen. I full expect the successor to be backwards compatible, and I expect Nintendo will keep up their at least 1 game a month release schedule, probably with a mix of Switch 1 games playable on the successor via BC, actual cross gen releases, and Switch 2 exclusives. I fully expect Nintendo to release games for the Switch 1 well into 2026 maybe even 2027.

I know it's a (very) unpopular opinion, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon Legend Z-A and Metroid Prime 4 are Switch 1 only. For me, these are the last big games for Switch before the next console. But yes, I hope we'll have a Nintendo Direct in September to have, at least, the date for Metroid Prime 4 Beyond....

As for what could be in a September direct? Nintendo can announce the oft rumored FE4 remake, the other rumored remasters in Zelda WW/TP and Prime 2/3, another small new game like Peach Showtime (maybe another Kirby game), another small remake/remaster like Another Code and Mario vs DK, and another NSO update. Third parties and indies will probably have plenty new to announce, along with updates to games already announced for 2025 (Last Defense Academy, Layton 7, etc). This could be a mini, it could be a full general, but Nintendo has at minimum to detail Q1 2025 before the successor is on the market.

I don't believe in TP HD and WW HD, at all. Especially, they will release The Legend of Zelda : Echoes in Wisdom which is the third new one for Switch ! About Metroid Prime 2 and 3, I doubt but possible to accompany the release of Metroid Prime 4 Beyond. Like Nintendo did with Pikmin, yes.

There aren't many credible rumors left, apart from Fire Emblem 4 Remake.... Also, I hope to see some niche licences :)

There's no reason to doubt a FE4 remake. It's one of the most popular games in the series in Japan, it's the next game in line to get a remake, and the same people who detailed/leaked Engage are the same ones who detailed FE4 remake. It's like doubting the existence of Everybody's 1-2 Switch when that first got rumored, Nintendo will just sit on things for long periods of time because they can.

I don't know. Nate said he hasn't heard of this game in over a year.... I hope you're right :)

I don’t see why not. If nothing else they seem to have marketing deals with third parties for Directs. There will be third parties that want a little spotlight and probably a game or two for 2025.

I know this an unpopular opinion here, but i personally think there is a next to 0% chance the Switch 2 is revealed in Fall 2024, or released in early 2025, so we will get a usual September Direct

Especially after this last direct, it seems clear to me the leaks were mislead and the Switch 2 was never slotted for 2024. We have a New 2D Zelda, New Mario Party, and New Mario + Luigi game this fall. It seems insane to me that Nintendo would have ever planned on releasing these while simultaneously marketing a Switch 2 and it's launch title. Neither do I believe "the Switch 2 has been delayed for the hell of it to Spring 2025", tbh i just believe sometimes leakers can't admit they were wrong 😂

3 Headline games in one fall is not the usual way Nintendo slows down at all before the next console. Let alone, they will absolutely not shadow these releases with a Switch 2 announcement to steal the Holiday sales away

In my opinion, we will see a usual September Direct to give MP4 a release date as the last major Switch title in May or Spring and slot a few last minor titles. (Mostly filler in the direct like last September again lol) The Pokemon Presents or September Direct alloting Legends Z-A somewhere in the same January-April timeframe. We'll get one final mini direct in January, a Switch 2 reveal in february, and the Presentation will be in June alike every other Nintendo Console Presentation, and the Switch 1 library is given third party and very minor first party to close out

Last edited:

They can adjust their forecast or add the Switch 2 HW in a later report 👀

But yeah, it could also just launch during Apr-Jun 👌

There was a couple of games just dated as 2024 and 2025 in this last direct. Plus there is still games not announced for Switch 1 like Fire Emblem. The only question is it a mini or a regular direct.

Probably. They typically do something around TGS. Could even be another general, as I'm not even entirely convinced at this point that the Switch 2 is being shown before the end of 2024.

Honestly maybe, I'm not sure Switch 2 is going to release in March and I think they will wait until early next year to announce the system.

Probably a Direct at the same time as previous years. They will continue to show new and known games at Directs, regardless if the successor is announced or not. When the successor is announced, games for that platform will also be included in the Direct. But Nintendo will also not pretend that a player base of 140 millions doesn't exist all of a sudden.

I think the answer to this will be contingent on the Switch successor's release date. If it is March like many expect, then I'd say no September direct. Any later in the year and I think there's still a reason to have a September direct to discuss what their Q1 lineup will look like.

Last edited:
I do hope it is a regular just for the Switch 2 reveal, but if it is a partners, then does anyone expect that a platinum games title or revival of Dragalia Lost from Cygames to show up at the end of the 2024 September partners direct?

Yes.

There will be another Nintendo Direct, only Switch for games 2024 and early 2025.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the Super Switch before the end of 2025.
Just having trouble interpreting the last part 😄Do you mean you expect it to be released early 2026?

Is it out of the question that FE4 and MP 1+2 are false flags like TWW/TP?
I feel that the Fire Emblem 4 remake and Metroid Prime 2+3 have more smoke surrounding them than TWW/TP, in the sense that we have just enough insight into IntSys and Retro Studios regarding recent titles -- codename "Iron 18" being missing-in-action between Three Houses and Engage and the Belmont post on ResetERA that accurately laid out the development timeline of Metroid Prime Remastered, respectively -- that we can reasonably conclude that, at the bare minimum, they are projects that were at least in the planning stages before getting scrapped. I don't think we can say the same for the WW/TP HD rumors.

Not for Switch 1, if there is, it’ll be a partber direct.

I think the Switch 2 reveal is coming in September/October so that’ll cover the later half of this year

I feel that the Fire Emblem 4 remake and Metroid Prime 2+3 have more smoke surrounding them than TWW/TP, in the sense that we have just enough insight into IntSys and Retro Studios regarding recent titles -- codename "Iron 18" being missing-in-action between Three Houses and Engage and the Belmont post on ResetERA that accurately laid out the development timeline of Metroid Prime Remastered, respectively -- that we can reasonably conclude that, at the bare minimum, they are projects that were at least in the planning stages before getting scrapped. I don't think we can say the same for the WW/TP HD rumors.
Do we know the codename for Fire Emblem Heroes? That would fit between as well development wise if I'm not mistaken.

didnt furukawa said it was the last switch direct ?
No, the only thing that was mentioned in regard to the successor is that it wouldn't be present at the direct and it would be announced this fiscal year.

Back
Top Bottom