• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will The Yakuza Series Ever Come To Switch?

Will The Yakuza Series Come To Switch?

• Yes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Ok Fami, it's once again time for us to decide. Will the Yakuza series ever come to Switch? Look deep inside your heart, rip off your shirt if need be, and then be ready to fight participate in this thread and poll! For this thread, this includes Yakuza 0 - 7, Dead Souls, Kenzan, Ishin, the PSP games, any of the remakes (Kiwami, Kiwami 2), Judgment / Lost Judgment, and any future games. Make sure to commit in the poll above. The spirit of this thread is for the original Switch hardware in its full lifetime, but we win regardless however it comes.

Bonus question if yes, what game will come first? Tell us why.

Yes! This is the sequel to my Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch thread! Since there was expressed interest in a follow up, I decided to roll soon into this one! I can't promise another emotional rollercoaster like the last thread or that it will immediately kick off with fresh signs to analyze either, but all the same I hope we have fun here!

With mainline Persona now on Switch (and Kingdom Hearts sadly being Cloud only), the biggest active series MIA on Switch in my book is easily the Yakuza games. While their extended story segments and amazing production values beg to be seen on a big screen, I'd especially love to freely roam around Kamurocho, beat up the roaming gangs of punks always eager to throw down, and enjoy the series' astounding variety of minigames on the go. While I once thought it was very unlikely, with Nagoshi departed from Sega I actually do think we will finally see a Yakuza game come to Switch possibly as soon as next year. I think the more powerful Switch, whatever it ends up being, is what will finally bring the series to Switch. While Yakuza 7 (Like A Dragon) is a strong contender, I think Yakuza 0 will be the first game to come on both the original Switch hardware and the next Switch as it does not use the more demanding Dragon Engine and is a fan favorite. Following it up with Yakuza Kiwami would then be a smart move before the series likely shifts exclusively to more powerful Switch hardware.

I think on the next system Sega will bring the whole series over. If they tried now they could manage 0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, and 5 easy. Kiwami 2 and 6 though I don't see being possible and I don't see them wanting to bother if they can't get Kiryus whole saga on the system, it would make for an award and broken way of playing the games like that. I'm sure the next system could run the Dragon Engine okay so we can get them all plus 7.

Not the current Switch but I bet it'll come to the successor starting with the "Origins" collection and then the remastered games with 6 and Like a Dragon afterwards.

I think on the next system Sega will bring the whole series over. If they tried now they could manage 0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, and 5 easy. Kiwami 2 and 6 though I don't see being possible and I don't see them wanting to bother if they can't get Kiryus whole saga on the system, it would make for an award and broken way of playing the games like that. I'm sure the next system could run the Dragon Engine okay so we can get them all plus 7.
I agree with Chie here. I think, once they have a console powerful enough to run Kiryu’s entire saga, the whole franchise will be on it in very short order. My only other thing would be maybe K2 and 6 can be cloud versions, but for an action game like Yakuza, you really don’t want that kinda latency.

Yes, but in the form of a collaboration game with Nintendo called Ichiban Takes Over Nintendoland

I agree with Chie here. I think, once they have a console powerful enough to run Kiryu’s entire saga, the whole franchise will be on it in very short order. My only other thing would be maybe K2 and 6 can be cloud versions, but for an action game like Yakuza, you really don’t want that kinda latency.
I doubt they go the cloud version route. I think they know that the reaction would be poor and it would put a lot of people off playing any of the games. Plus iirc Sega has only done that for the Japan only Phantasy Star 2 online.

Besides if they wait for the next system the the tech gap will grow and porting the older games becomes easier, way more headroom for getting the games looking their best (getting Kiwami 1 and 0 looking more like the PS4 versions than the PS3 versions).

Wouldn’t be the most shocking thing in the world but I’m not counting on it. I’d love to play 0 on Switch though.

Yeah, I think most things in media (games/movies) are an inevitability when there’s money to be made. Especially after the Persona news!

(This is why I think it’s only a matter of time before Disney releases the original Star Wars cuts. It might be a long time, but it will happen.)

so, its finally here (the thread) . lets will it into existence, although theres really only yakuza that is a must play: Yakuza 0 . lets hope for a port of that for starters

Ok Fami, it's once again time for us to decide. Will the Yakuza series ever come to Switch? Look deep inside your heart, rip off your shirt if need be, and then be ready to fight participate in this thread and poll! For this thread, this includes Yakuza 0 - 7, Dead Souls, Kenzan, Ishin, the PSP games, any of the remakes (Kiwami, Kiwami 2), Judgment / Lost Judgment, and any future games. Make sure to commit in the poll above. The spirit of this thread is for the original Switch hardware in its full lifetime, but we win regardless however it comes.

Bonus question if yes, what game will come first? Tell us why.

Yes! This is the sequel to my Will Mainline Persona Ever Come To Switch thread! Since there was expressed interest in a follow up, I decided to roll soon into this one! I can't promise another emotional rollercoaster like the last thread or that it will immediately kick off with fresh signs to analyze either, but all the same I hope we have fun here!

With mainline Persona now on Switch (and Kingdom Hearts sadly being Cloud only), the biggest active series MIA on Switch in my book is easily the Yakuza games. While their extended story segments and amazing production values beg to be seen on a big screen, I'd especially love to freely roam around Kamurocho, beat up the roaming gangs of punks always eager to throw down, and enjoy the series' astounding variety of minigames on the go. While I once thought it was very unlikely, with Nagoshi departed from Sega I actually do think we will finally see a Yakuza game come to Switch possibly as soon as next year. I think the more powerful Switch, whatever it ends up being, is what will finally bring the series to Switch. While Yakuza 7 (Like A Dragon) is a strong contender, I think Yakuza 0 will be the first game to come on both the original Switch hardware and the next Switch as it does not use the more demanding Dragon Engine and is a fan favorite. Following it up with Yakuza Kiwami would then be a smart move before the series likely shifts exclusively to more powerful Switch hardware.
More likely than cod or madden.

Yes, and Like A Dragon will be first.

It's supposed to be a soft reboot for the series, the new best starting point for newcomers, follows a brand new protagonist whose story is carrying on in future sequels, is now a jrpg etc. That's the game you want to introduce to a new audience. Maybe it's coming as a Cloud edition or maybe it's getting a native Nier Automata style port idk, but I'm sure it's coming.

0 should have been on the system years ago but now I assume it's coming the year after LAD. Not unlike P5R/P4G.

I'm leaning towards no, although I would certainly love to be wrong. Just doesn't seem to be much interest between Nintendo and RGG.

I mostly agree with @Chie and @Derachi, but the more I think about it, the more I don’t know if SEGA will bother to port seven games (or eight, if they also do LaD) on the Switch. Maybe they’ll just start with LaD and we’ll get Yakuza 8 and the ones after that if the Drake is as powerful as rumored. That may help getting Japanese sales of the series up again, after a few years of drops

Always relevant to that particular debate, the infamous interview of Daisuke Sato in 2018, Yakuza producer (he left Sega alongside Nagoshi since).

“To be realistic about what happened, Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U was a huge failure. But we are always looking to develop for multiple platforms as much as possible and know that brings in a greater audience to attract more people. However, as far as Switch is concerned, I’m convinced that it isn’t the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe people don’t expect this kind of game on Switch. Maybe they’re used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. As for Xbox One, we can consider it, knowing that Xbox One users may be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. This could potentially be an option.”

I think it'll happen, but not on the current Switch. Also agree with some posters here that it might not be all the games but just the Ichiban game(s).

This and From's game are what I wish would come, but probably never will.
Fairly confident Elden Ring will happen too on the successor hardware.

I think it'll happen, but not on the current Switch. Also agree with some posters here that it might not be all the games but just the Ichiban game(s).

Fairly confident Elden Ring will happen too on the successor hardware.

DS2 never happened, DS3 and Sekiro never happened (and we've had more ambitious games ported to switch). I'm really not confident that having a more powerful machine will suddenly motivate From Software to consider Nintendo, and vice versa.

I think the main hurdle here is the sheer number of games. If they want to bring over the Kiryu saga, that's seven ports they have to make. That's no small feat. Plus, how do you release and sell those in a way that makes sense business-wise? It's not impossible, of course, but that's something they have to consider.

Having said that, the Switch is getting harder to ignore, and I think even people who were skeptical about Persona should realize there's a good chance of this happening at some point.

I will say it's my most wanted series now that Persona has made it over. Absolutely love Yakuza and would love to see it on a Nintendo platform.

The Yakuza’s are one of the main 3rd game series I want on Switch, I also hope that if the next Switch comes within the next year we will see the Yakuza games come over but I think when the question was put to the devs before they pretty much said it will never happen?

The Yakuza’s are one of the main 3rd game series I want on Switch, I also hope that if the next Switch comes within the next year we will see the Yakuza games come over but I think when the question was put to the devs before they pretty much said it will never happen?
The two people who were against it left the studio last year. It's possible the current leadership feels the same way, but the Switch now has an install base of 100 million units... If they still think it's comparable to the Wii U, I don't know what to say.

DS2 never happened, DS3 and Sekiro never happened (and we've had more ambitious games ported to switch). I'm really not confident that having a more powerful machine will suddenly motivate From Software to consider Nintendo, and vice versa.
I specifically said ER on next Switch for a reason, it's a far hotter game in terms of sales of potential and it'd be easier to port. I don't think DS3/Sekiro would sell well enough for the effort required to port them on current Switch, ER will keep selling for a couple years. But this thread isn't about From.

never-no-way.gif

Please prove me wrong Sega.
Though I think the series has a chance to appear on the next system.

Always relevant to that particular debate, the infamous interview of Daisuke Sato in 2018, Yakuza producer (he left Sega alongside Nagoshi since).

“To be realistic about what happened, Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U was a huge failure. But we are always looking to develop for multiple platforms as much as possible and know that brings in a greater audience to attract more people. However, as far as Switch is concerned, I’m convinced that it isn’t the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe people don’t expect this kind of game on Switch. Maybe they’re used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. As for Xbox One, we can consider it, knowing that Xbox One users may be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. This could potentially be an option.”
Nerve of these people calling it a failure after refusing to localize the game. News flash geniuses, Wii U itself was a massive failure in Japan. Blame someone else, not the fans.

Didn't 1&2 HD release before Yakuza became big in the west? If that's the case, I can understand their reasoning, even if it is flawed.

I can see it happening on the successor. I still need to play 3 through 6 and I suspect I'll have done that by the time anything gets announced though.

Any game that is big in Japan has a real shot at being put on the Switch, even if that means as a late port on the Switch 2 when it comes to the newer titles. It all boils down to if the publisher wants to push for it or not.

Didn't 1&2 HD release before Yakuza became big in the west? If that's the case, I can understand their reasoning, even if it is flawed.
That happened because Nintendo pushed for it on a failed console that could only barely sell 1st party software, it is just a weird justification Nagoshi created to justify their decisions like with Sakura Wars saying that the audience had already grown from handhelds.

Media Create Sales: CY 2021 (2021 Jan 04 - 2022 Jan 02)

01. NSW - 23.070.515 <83,39%> (263 new games)
02. PS4 - 3.695.693 <13,36%> (188 new games)
03. PS5 - 831.915 <3,01%> (75 new games)
04. 3DS - 62.571 <0,23%> (0 new games)
05. XBS - 4.962 <0,02%> (7 new games)
00. ALL - 27.665.656 <100,00%> (533 new games)

😛

Now that Nagoshi and his proteges are out, I think it'll happen. 0, Kiwami and 3-5 on Switch, the rest (including Judgement) on Drake.

Yes, but in the form of a collaboration game with Nintendo called Ichiban Takes Over Nintendoland
F-Zero: Like a Falcon

That happened because Nintendo pushed for it on a failed console that could only barely sell 1st party software, it is just a weird justification Nagoshi created to justify their decisions like with Sakura Wars saying that the audience had already grown from handhelds.
I agree it's BS, but I look at it as them acting completely in character. I'm reminded of the Wii era when some developers considered it a toy rather than a genuine console. Perhaps with Nagoshi and Sato gone things will change, but I won't hold my breath.

Look

I love Toshihiro Nagoshi and Daisuke Sato

but those guys said some wild shit lmao

I would honestly prefer to wait on how the new leadership at RGG will act or if Sega will start mandating something before answering this question. But being honest, I think this ship sailed for current Switch but the next machine will make it very feasible and would be very foolish for Sega/RGG not to port. They would foster a fanbase on Nintendo system, profit from sales of cheap ports that will have an inherent draw of being playable portable, which does increase the appeal of any "AAA" game even if it's a old port. And the next device should also be able to be strong enough to run the upcoming games in the Yakuza saga. But again, better to wait on how the new leadership will act. RGG needs to leave the ghost of Yakuza 1-2 HD, a barely passable effort from them, which made them simply outright discard Nintendo consoles for the series.

I think Nagoshi may have had some sort of bias against Nintendo who knows, but since the series isn't exactly setting sales records as it is, more platforms doesn't hurt. I think it comes down to money.

Does Sega see money in the Switch market, and does Nintendo want to help ease the way for these games to make it on Switch via matching a porting studio/some sort of marketing deal to make the work to get them on Switch and running well worth it for Sega. I think there's a win-win scenario here. Sega gets a bigger audience for Yakuza and Nintendo gets more open world games on Switch. It is to me a matter of time, not a question of if, but when.

I think Nagoshi may have had some sort of bias against Nintendo who knows
I don’t know if it was necessarily a bias against Nintendo per se, I just think, in Nagoshi’s mind, Nintendo systems are for games like Super Monkey Ball, Sony systems are for games like Yakuza. It soooorta makes sense thought if it like this, but it IS an outdated mentality.

Well, with Nagoshi gone, maybe? At least it's not like mainline Persona that never had any appearance on Nintendo systems before;

Maybe just bring over Yakuza 1+2 HD from Wii U to Switch and localize it.

My guess is that they'll come to the next Switch, but I'm only guessing that because I think it'll be out next year. I think vanilla Switch is getting them if it doesn't release until 2024.

Back
Top Bottom