• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Will Super Mario RPG (23) Become The Best Selling Mario RPG Like How Link's Awakening (19) Became The Best Selling 2D Zelda?

Will Mario RPG Remake Become The Best Selling Mario RPG?

• Total voters
It'll get a "what the hell is a Geno anyways" boost from Smash fans that'll push it over the edge

I'm 50/50, but I'll lean towards no. Think Wonder will suck up most of the Mario sales.
i think, if anything, the two games (plus the mario movie earlier this year) will have a symbiotic affect. the mario brand is on a massive upswing right now.

Depends on if you count Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.
Had a 6 year head start and goes on sale for dirt cheap, but it's also a different kind of RPG, being an SRPG. I don't think SMRPG will sell 10 million that fast, but I do think it will sell well, what with the movie and such. Also lack of Rabbids will PROBABLY help. Length will probably be more of a talking point as it gets closer to release though.
no M+R does not count

I don’t see it outselling Origami King which launched in the early pandemic drought, and was the lead in for the Mario Anniversary.

I'm also 50:50 on this. SNES nostalgia and general Mario hype. But it's also kinda niche and a remake, so who knows.
I've seen a lot of advertisement online for combining Wonder and SMRPG with the vouchers, so they definitely want that synnergy 🤔

Yeah, i don’t see any way it wouldn’t at this point. 4m isn’t a very high bar to clear, especially with how good it looks.

It'll sell maybe 2-3 million. Which will still be a success, especially because it mostly like didn't have a high budget, but not like some runaway success. in line with best selling Mario RPGs.
Will sell mainly for the nostalgia - it's a fairly simple, short RPG. Part of it's charm, but i don't think it'll have the word of mouth of Nintys other games.
Doubt the legs will be long, especially because Wonder will probably have a longer tail, and there are like 3 Mario-adjacent games coming early next year.

Link's Awakening sold extremely well probably because it was earlier in the Switch's life, and was i think the second (third if counting Hyrule Warriors) Zelda game on the Switch.

kronk-its-all-coming-together.gif

Can someone kindly update me with the totals?

I know the Super Mario RPG numbers were revealed today, but how do they compare with Origami King and Bowser's Inside Story?
3.14 in t's first 6 weeks making it the fastest-selling Mario RPG, out selling the original by a million and only 300k from beating Origami King, for record it took browsers inside story and super paper Mario a few years to reach 4 million

Last edited:
Can someone kindly update me with the totals?

I know the Super Mario RPG numbers were revealed today, but how do they compare with Origami King and Bowser's Inside Story?
Super mario rpg sold 3.14 mil copies while origami king sits at 3.47 mil copies so it will outsell it in the near future.
Mario and luigi bowser inside story is the best selling mario rpg at 4.45 mil copies so it’s possible for mario rpg to surpass it but it will need good legs in the upcoming years which is not guaranteed for an rpg (origami king had pretty mediocre legs for example). It’s a stellar performance overall.

Had I seen this thread I'd have voted no. So I'm glad to potentially be proven wrong.

Crazy how well this game is selling this late into the Switch's life.

I would be surprised if it’s not within the first three months.
We only have a month and a half worth of sales as of the new report, so there’s still plenty of time for this to be true, especially if Super Paper Mario is not considered.

3.14 in t's first 6 weeks making it the fastest-selling Mario RPG, out selling the original by a million and only 3k from beating Origami King, for record it took browsers inside story and super paper Mario a few years to reach 4 million
Super mario rpg sold 3.14 mil copies while origami king sits at 3.47 mil copies so it will outsell it in the near future.
Mario and luigi bowser inside story is the best selling mario rpg at 4.45 mil copies so it’s possible for mario rpg to surpass it but it will need good legs in the upcoming years which is not guaranteed for an rpg (origami king had pretty mediocre legs for example). It’s a stellar performance overall.
Awesome, thanks!

Hopefully that means we'll get new Mario RPGs soon.

We only have a month and a half worth of sales as of the new report, so there’s still plenty of time for this to be true, especially if Super Paper Mario is not considered.
It still won’t outsell bowser inside story in 3months which sold higher than super paper mario at 4.45 mil (spm is at 4.23mil)

It still won’t outsell bowser inside story in 3months which sold higher than super paper mario at 4.45 mil (spm is at 4.23mil)
Ah fair, I think I hadn’t realized how well BIS did.

The fact that this is a possibility is nuts! Like this game ever being revisited felt like an impossible dream and here we are with it just a few months under it's belt outselling the original by a wide margin.

The time for Geno in smash is now. Literally the last character in my childhood dream roster yet to appear as a playable character, let's goooo!

A remake selling this well is kind of nuts. You have to realize there was a decent amount of people who didn’t buy the game because it’s an very faithful remake of an old SNES title that has been easy to emulate for practically two decades now.

In the next 6 months probably.
Are we sure about Zelda? The original sold a ton, not counting rereleases.

A remake selling this well is kind of nuts.
Guess Nintendo did good by that putting the "remake" label on it, even after advertising it as a remake xP

You have to realize there was a decent amount of people who didn’t buy the game because it’s an very faithful remake of an old SNES title that has been easy to emulate for practically two decades now.
"...a decent amount of people" sounds subjective rather than objective.

"...a decent amount of people" sounds subjective rather than objective.
Obviously?

How am I supposed to guess how many the exact amount people didn’t buy Super Mario RPG is because they can emulate it on SNES9X?

It’s just something I have heard people say, for sure there are others who didn’t buy it for different reasons.

Remakes are almost always going to have less sell power than new games, so when they do well, it’s not something to scoff at.

Back
Top Bottom