• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Will Halo come to PS5?

It will be on PS5 and yes even Switch 2 in a few years. Master Chief will be in the next Smash Bros. too.

Barring a miracle MS' traditional XBox hardware model is finished.

Will Halo go multiplatform? Honestly...I could see it, and I hope so too.

The only way to guarantee any type of online community's longevity is to ensure crossplay and if possible cross-save. There's a brand new opportunity to inject life into a legacy game series (even if it's something as minor as tossing a bone for MCC to Switch 2/PS5) and supposedly keeping the "flagship" title of Halo Infinite and its campaigns exclusive to Xbox and PC.

I think Infinite's multiplayer at least is probably gonna go to PS5 and maybe Switch 2 in the not too distant future. Not as confident in, say, the MCC going multiplat, though I definitely wouldn't rule it out

Why just PS5? It has better chances to be on the successor as the MCC was rumored for Switch for years now. For all we know, they might be finalizing the port right now for a fall release.

Not only I expect Halo to be on the successor (maybe even on Switch), I legitimately believe some of the lesser Sony games will make their way to the console.

well hopefully any Nintendo fans who aren't narrow minded will play these games. Halo 2's campaign is still goated. people shit talk Infinite all the time but that has my 2nd favorite Halo campaign that shit was banging. 5 is underrated imo I enjoyed that one. Reach is good

I hope so. I love Halo, especially the Bungie developed games, and it’s one of my favourite franchises. I basically bought a Series S only to play MCC and Infinite. Being able to play those games on another ecosystem I’m actually invested in would be great.

I think Infinite's multiplayer at least is probably gonna go to PS5 and maybe Switch 2 in the not too distant future. Not as confident in, say, the MCC going multiplat, though I definitely wouldn't rule it out
Out of curiosity, what makes you think Infinite multiplayer coming to Switch/PS5 as opposed to MCC? I could see it coming to PS5 sure, but admittedly unless they retool the code from scratch to utilize DLSS on Switch 2, I don't think Infinite stands a chance running on Switch 2 even if it does run on Series S. My thoughts for MCC going multi amount to it being an older game collection released ten years ago and most of the games running on Xbox or 360 hardware.

It'd be nice though if it got another update to include Halo 5: Guardians just for the sake of completion if/when it got another boost to all these other consoles. I'd also like to see too the seasons reset for Switch and PS5 since they're going into it for the first time, make them feel united even if they are going online against Xbox or PC players with controllers.

Why just PS5? It has better chances to be on the successor as the MCC was rumored for Switch for years now. For all we know, they might be finalizing the port right now for a fall release.

Not only I expect Halo to be on the successor (maybe even on Switch), I legitimately believe some of the lesser Sony games will make their way to the console.
🗣️ Ape Escape belongs on Nintendo consoles if Sony isn't doing jackshit with the series

at this point I feel both ps5 and Switch 2 are inevtiable

Heck the OG Switch could handle the MCC collection scaled down a bit

Out of curiosity, what makes you think Infinite multiplayer coming to Switch/PS5 as opposed to MCC? I could see it coming to PS5 sure, but admittedly unless they retool the code from scratch to utilize DLSS on Switch 2, I don't think Infinite stands a chance running on Switch 2 even if it does run on Series S.
Mainly because it's an on-going live service and so it's a very "lives and dies by its player base" kind of thing compared to a collection of old games. Essentially the same reasoning I assume was behind games like Sea of Thieves and Grounded going multiplatform. I guess I'm thinking about the optics/messaging, and a f2p live-service going multiplat is probably an easier sell that raises fewer alarm bells versus things people closely identify as "a core part of Xbox's history/identity/legacy/whatever"

I'm not saying MCC couldn't go multiplat as well, but Infinite just feels like where they'd want to start a multiplatform Halo push, and then once that that's been "normalized", they can pull the trigger on something like the MCC

Also wasn't Infinite a cross-gen game? I could have sworn there was an Xbox One version and that MS didn't go fully next-gen until Redfall, which is why I figured it could probably run on Switch 2

They spent 1 billion dollars creating Halo Infinite, and as far as I can see, havent even came close to recouping those costs.

The only thing that prohibits Halo Infinite coming from PS5, is the engine and the spaghetti code.They might just want to wait until the next big Halo game.

Mainly because it's an on-going live service and so it's a very "lives and dies by its player base" kind of thing compared to a collection of old games. Essentially the same reasoning I assume was behind games like Sea of Thieves and Grounded going multiplatform. I guess I'm thinking about the optics/messaging, and a f2p live-service going multiplat is probably an easier sell that raises fewer alarm bells versus things people closely identify as "a core part of Xbox's history/identity/legacy/whatever"

I'm not saying MCC couldn't go multiplat as well, but Infinite just feels like where they'd want to start a multiplatform Halo push, and then once that that's been "normalized", they can pull the trigger on something like the MCC

Also wasn't Infinite a cross-gen game? I could have sworn there was an Xbox One version and that MS didn't go fully next-gen until Redfall, which is why I figured it could probably run on Switch 2
Mmm, okay, yeah I can follow that line of reasoning too, and yeah I suppose dev code that's made with more modern tools would be easier to port when most of the people who worked directly on it know what each function does to translate to other consoles. (fake edit: but as Lozjam said, if the code is a mess anyways, who knows what could be done with it lmao)

And true too actually, I've seen Infinite run on an Xbox One and I totally forgot that it was playable back then haha

Everything is coming to PS5 (and a good majority of it to Nintendo) too so yeah it is...

If that rumored Gears Collection is real and I think it is, I think you'll see that on PS5 and Switch 2 ASAP...would sell a ton.

Weren't those old rumors from the """""insiders""""" who said "game pass is coming to Switch tomorrow I promise"? LOL

Not interested, but if they release Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey from Xbox jail we can talk*.

and also N3 maybe. MAYBE.

Weren't those old rumors from the """""insiders""""" who said "game pass is coming to Switch tomorrow I promise"? LOL
Nope, those were from somewhere else. This is the famous "mario on playstation" rumor from the King Zell. He didn't say explicitly what it was but hinted Halo MCC. He also said whatever it was, it was years away from actually coming out.

Nope, those were from somewhere else. This is the famous "mario on playstation" rumor from the King Zell. He didn't say explicitly what it was but hinted Halo MCC. He also said whatever it was, it was years away from actually coming out.
How long has it been now since he first posted that about "Mario on Playstation"? Coming up on what, four or five years ago now?

How long has it been now since he first posted that about "Mario on Playstation"? Coming up on what, four or five years ago now?
About 4, it was in late 2019. Since MCC also took an insane amount of time to launch on PC, 4 years for Switch wouldn't be surprising at all. Arkham games launched 2.5 years after their leak and MCC has one more game than those.

About 4, it was in late 2019. Since MCC also took an insane amount of time to launch on PC, 4 years for Switch wouldn't be surprising at all. Arkham games launched 2.5 years after their leak and MCC has one more game than those.
A different time, to be sure. Totally forgot that Fami was borne of the internet after Covid lol.

I remember Nate mentioning too that he simply stopped hearing chatter about it after a year or so; maybe it did get stalled or cancelled or whatever. Maybe it gets announced at the notE3 Direct this year, or maybe it's not announced until after Switch 2 is on the market. More than anything, I really hope some story gets told by how it all came to pass and what may have caused the hitch in actually porting it to Switch or what led to the projects cancellation shortly after being rumoured

I would've said no until recently but it really feels like the "end of Xbox as we know it" might actually be happening. I know it's theoretically good for everyone that games are more widely available but it's hard to not to imagine how shocking this will be to the morale of an Xbox fan.

A different time, to be sure. Totally forgot that Fami was borne of the internet after Covid lol.

I remember Nate mentioning too that he simply stopped hearing chatter about it after a year or so; maybe it did get stalled or cancelled or whatever. Maybe it gets announced at the notE3 Direct this year, or maybe it's not announced until after Switch 2 is on the market. More than anything, I really hope some story gets told by how it all came to pass and what may have caused the hitch in actually porting it to Switch or what led to the projects cancellation shortly after being rumoured
Even if it got cancelled in the meantime, it might get revived after the recent turn of events. Honestly I think iT's one of the better candidates to be in the "second wave" of Xbox games on other platforms thing.

If Infinite goes multiplatform and MCC doesn't I'll go fucking ballistic lol

Wait-Thats-illegal-HD-meme-5.jpg

Within about three years.

well hopefully any Nintendo fans who aren't narrow minded will play these games. Halo 2's campaign is still goated. people shit talk Infinite all the time but that has my 2nd favorite Halo campaign that shit was banging. 5 is underrated imo I enjoyed that one. Reach is good
Halo 2, 3 and reach are incredible. Halo Combat Evolved always gets the praise but I think the campaigns in 2, 3 and Reach are better

Halo 2, 3 and reach are incredible. Halo Combat Evolved always gets the praise but I think the campaigns in 2, 3 and Reach are better
Honestly? For me, it's CE=2=3=Reach

They're all phenomenal games, each with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. The overall package for each game, however, is equally as good as the next in my opinion.

CE is often slated for its "age" and repetitive area design, but any time I see this brought up, it comes across as fairly overblown. In spite of these things, CE masters enemy AI, difficulty balancing, player controls, the soundtrack, the sandbox, and its mid-game twist.

Is 2 better? In many ways, sure. There's less reuse of geometry and area design, there's more environmental/setting variety, the narrative is kicked up ten notches, and the new mechanics like boarding and dual wielding spice up the combat. Where it pales, in my opinion, is in its muddy art direction, muffled sound design, boring utility weapon (the battle rifle), inferior sandbox (especially due to dual wielding balancing), its poor difficulty balancing, and its weaker enemy AI and encounter design. The ending sucks, too. Tartarus is not fun.

Overall, it's hard for me to definitively say one game is better than the other (unless we're talking multiplayer or Halo 4 and up). There's so much to say about each game, and each is so different from the next in multiple ways that I feel it's anadequate to simply rank them and leave it at that.

It's funny how many of us have been talking about the possibility of Halo coming to Switch for years. Back then, however, it was because we assumed Xbox and Nintendo had a good partnership. Now it's because we know Xbox is a sinking ship and will do it out of desperation.

Honestly? For me, it's CE=2=3=Reach

They're all phenomenal games, each with its own set of strengths and weaknesses. The overall package for each game, however, is equally as good as the next in my opinion.

CE is often slated for its "age" and repetitive area design, but any time I see this brought up, it comes across as fairly overblown. In spite of these things, CE masters enemy AI, difficulty balancing, player controls, the soundtrack, the sandbox, and its mid-game twist.

Is 2 better? In many ways, sure. There's less reuse of geometry and area design, there's more environmental/setting variety, the narrative is kicked up ten notches, and the new mechanics like boarding and dual wielding spice up the combat. Where it pales, in my opinion, is in its muddy art direction, muffled sound design, boring utility weapon (the battle rifle), inferior sandbox (especially due to dual wielding balancing), its poor difficulty balancing, and its weaker enemy AI and encounter design. The ending sucks, too. Tartarus is not fun.

Overall, it's hard for me to definitively say one game is better than the other (unless we're talking multiplayer or Halo 4 and up). There's so much to say about each game, and each is so different from the next in multiple ways that I feel it's anadequate to simply rank them and leave it at that.
I get that, I love the duel wielding in Halo 2.

I do think CE has a bit of a repetitive area design and I think some of the levels are overly long. I also think the last mission, where you have to drive the vehicle through the really narrow passage with crap all around you with the poor controls is absolute nonsense. Halo 3 didn't repeat that mistake with giving you far more space to manoeuvre

I get that, I love the duel wielding in Halo 2.

I do think CE has a bit of a repetitive area design and I think some of the levels are overly long. I also think the last mission, where you have to drive the vehicle through the really narrow passage with crap all around you with the poor controls is absolute nonsense. Halo 3 didn't repeat that mistake with giving you far more space to manoeuvre
Oh the Warthog run in CE is the best! The Warthog controls like a heavy stick of butter and results in some of the dumbest and most hilarious crashes, especially with the claustrophobic design of the nonsensically lengthy Pillar of Autumn. It's absurd and wonderful in so many ways, especially when you play with others.

But yes, Halo 3's Warthog run is genuinely better in every way. I agree completely lol

it's tough but I'm at peace with it. even with no hardware presence I'm gucci as long as the Microsoft store and Xbox apps are running.

I mean, considering Microsoft's history of shutting down storefronts... I find it hard to be certain how that will go 🙃 obviously not soon, but I wonder if we'll own anything in 10 to 15 years.

We ranking Halo campaigns?

3>2>CE>Reach>4>Infinite>>>>>>>>>>5

5 is the only one I outright dislike
CE=2=3=Reach>ODST>4>>>Infinite>>>>>>5

I replay the original trilogy all the time. I've only replayed Reach a few times but it's great too. ODST is, in my opinion, mediocre but still fun.

4 and Infinite aren't great, and 5 is abysmal. Not much else to say for these particular games—it isn't worth the effort lol.

Honestly, I think we can expect Halo on both PS5 and Switch 2 within the next two-three years. It would make to much money for Xbox to resist, even if it would officially put an end to exclusivity for Xbox and would pretty much be a white flag of defeat to PlayStation

Also, If we’re ranking games then it’s 3-1-2-4

I mean, considering Microsoft's history of shutting down storefronts... I find it hard to be certain how that will go 🙃 obviously not soon, but I wonder if we'll own anything in 10 to 15 years.
what storefronts are those? I don't recall any. or is this about their physical store?

Oh the Warthog run in CE is the best! The Warthog controls like a heavy stick of butter and results in some of the dumbest and most hilarious crashes, especially with the claustrophobic design of the nonsensically lengthy Pillar of Autumn. It's absurd and wonderful in so many ways, especially when you play with others.

But yes, Halo 3's Warthog run is genuinely better in every way. I agree completely lol
haha drove me nuts that warthog run, especially when the checkpoint system was so hit and miss. I bet haha, bet it is properly chaotic with multiple people

For sure, so much better and is a fantastic send off to the trilogy

80% chance at least one halo project to go cross console platforms. I think switch 2 is around as likely. The only holdout I can imagine is if they are retaining 1 franchise for exclusivity for a handheld/nextbox/platform, which could be Halo. But as a multiplayer franchise idk, they may still pick something else if they wanted. Its more likely they dont wont exclusives at all based on hearsay. But the actual strategy for xbox doesn't really seem set in stone.

Maybe the next post 2026/7 new Halo project or major IP will be exclusive to Xbox for a year at most, once all is said in done. And for multiplayer or monetizable genres, there's a very good chance of day 1.

what storefronts are those? I don't recall any. or is this about their physical store?

you're uhh, not aware of the Xbox 360 store shutdown in July? The original Xbox had things you could buy and are obviously long gone, they shuttered their "Xbox Live Indie Games" platform on Xbox 360 long before, and most "Games for Windows Live" games people bought back on PC don't work anymore and can't be redownloaded.

Not exactly history that has any real outliers in it, tbh. Clearly shows that everything they do shuts down eventually 😅 It's great that Xbox One is more compatible with the Xbox Series platform but I'm hesitant to believe something like "oh they really did engineer it for long-term this time" all things considered, especially with this unprecedented extra wrench of a possible future without any more Xboxes or some kind of Xbox PC hybrid monster

edit: I dunno if you just meant you hope PC support continues...? Games for Windows Live is still a pretty cringe stain on that history and their flip-flopping between the Microsoft Store and Steam is pretty non-committal

Last edited:
you're uhh, not aware of the Xbox 360 store shutdown in July? The original Xbox had things you could buy and are obviously long gone, they shuttered their "Xbox Live Indie Games" platform on Xbox 360 long before, and most "Games for Windows Live" games people bought back on PC don't work anymore and can't be redownloaded.

Not exactly history that has any real outliers in it, tbh. Clearly shows that everything they do shuts down eventually 😅 It's great that Xbox One is more compatible with the Xbox Series platform but I'm hesitant to believe something like "oh they really did engineer it for long-term this time" all things considered, especially with this unprecedented extra wrench of a possible future without any more Xboxes or some kind of Xbox PC hybrid monster

edit: I dunno if you just meant you hope PC support continues...? Games for Windows Live is still a pretty cringe stain on that history and their flip-flopping between the Microsoft Store and Steam is pretty non-committal
oh the 360 store yeah I'm not concerned about that

well yeah I'm talking about what they have right now on PC which I assume is the same as on Xbox One and Series

Back
Top Bottom