• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Will FFXVI even be a "RPG"??

Will FFXVI be an RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Genres have no meaning anymore (No #2)

Votes: 57 36.3%

• Total voters
Best bet for anyone wanting a turn-based JRPG from Square this year is to play Octopath Traveller 2. FF has been on the path it’s on for a very long time, in the same way that a lot of big series are heading towards each other. The line between ‘streamlined rpg with action combat and high production values’ and ‘streamlined action game with rpg elements and high production values’ is paper thin, as studios of everything from God of War to Assassins Creed to Zelda to Final Fantasy are all moving towards an end goal that appeals to the most people willing to pay £60 for a title with 5+ years of dev time, but just all approaching that end point from multiple different directions.

Still, there’s more variety than ever out there, Square literally spammed rpgs over the last 9 months or so. At this point I feel like expecting Final Fantasy to be closer to what it was 20 years ago is understandable in terms of yearning and nostalgia, but I’d still point to the many games still being made in that style specifically for the FF fanbase, and that don’t get stacks of media coverage. Even setting aside Octopath, there’s stuff like Chained Echoes. Or Rise of The Third Power. Or Eiyuden Chronicle, or Sea of Stars.
Very true, turn-based is thriving right now, just not with big-budget SE games. On the higher budget side there's also Persona, SMT (okay probably not very high budget but hey), and potentially that FF9 remake/remaster coming out eventually will still be turn-based? Who knows

Depends on your definition, I wouldn't call most of those RPGs either. Witcher 3 definitely is, and Ys is for sure an action RPG. But I wouldn't call any Souls game, Nier, or Dragon's Dogma an RPG (or at least, not an RPG primarily, which is where this gets murky)
On what planet is Dragon’s Dogma not an RPG?

...I sincerely thought all those games you listed were action games and not RPGs. Are they really? 😳
Yeah they are all considered RPGs lol. Every single one of them. And I don't mean "considered" an RPG like Horizon or the new God of War games are on sheer technicality (except maybe Nier), I mean there are all really considered RPGs.
Depends on your definition, I wouldn't call most of those RPGs either. Witcher 3 definitely is, and Ys is for sure an action RPG. But I wouldn't call any Souls game, Nier, or Dragon's Dogma an RPG (or at least, not an RPG primarily, which is where this gets murky)
C'mon lol, the only one I can see any ambiguity for is Nier. Everything else would pass the traditional RPG definition test pretty soundly.

On what planet is Dragon’s Dogma not an RPG?
Is it? I thought it was more of a monster hunter type game, but I could be wrong. I haven't played it, was just listing what I thought was the case (so absolutely call me out if I am full of it!)
Yeah they are all considered RPGs lol. Every single one of them. And I don't mean "considered" an RPG like Horizon or the new God of War games are on sheer technicality (except maybe Nier), I mean there are all really considered RPGs.

C'mon lol, the only one I can see any ambiguity for is Nier. Everything else would pass the traditional RPG definition test pretty soundly.
I don't know about that, the argument for Souls games being RPGs or not RPGs is a very long, hard-fought battle in the internet wars. I guess yes, they are technically Action RPGs, and I can see the argument for that, but for me personally I wouldn't really put them in the RPG camp since they lean primarily toward action IMO.

Is it? I thought it was more of a monster hunter type game, but I could be wrong. I haven't played it, was just listing what I thought was the case (so absolutely call me out if I am full of it!)
I mean, Monster Hunter is an action RPG, but without getting into that, Dragon’s Dogma is basically a micro-scale Elder Scrolls style game with more of a combat focus.

I don't know about that, the argument for Souls games being RPGs or not RPGs is a very long, hard-fought battle in the internet wars. I guess yes, they are technically Action RPGs, and I can see the argument for that, but for me personally I wouldn't really put them in the RPG camp since they lean primarily toward action IMO.
Dragon's Dogma is an RPG with towns and NPCs and quests and all that, yeah. I do remember it used to get the Monster Hunter comparison from some western media back in the day (because Monster Hunter was "stuck" on handhelds) so maybe that's where your confusion is coming from haha.

As far as Souls games go, those are very definitively RPGs. The games are entirely reliant on stat allocation for unique builds, loot drops, classes (with unique advantages and disadvantages), level/class/stat requirements for loot equipment, main quests, side quests, exploration. They just make their combat their differentiating factor, but they are very much RPGs in every sense of the word.

I mean, Monster Hunter is an action RPG, but without getting into that, Dragon’s Dogma is basically a micro-scale Elder Scrolls style game with more of a combat focus.
Okay, I can concede that! It's a game I've been curious about but just haven't gotten around to playing before.
Dragon's Dogma is an RPG with towns and NPCs and quests and all that, yeah. I do remember it used to get the Monster Hunter comparison from some western media back in the day (because Monster Hunter was "stuck" on handhelds) so maybe that's where your confusion is coming from haha.

As far as Souls games go, those are very definitively RPGs. The games are entirely reliant on stat allocation for unique builds, loot drops, classes (with unique advantages and disadvantages), level/class/stat requirements for loot equipment, main quests, side quests, exploration. They just make their combat their differentiating factor, but they are very much RPGs in every sense of the word.
I guess there's just something about them that I wouldn't consider them to be RPGs, primarily, despite all that being true. Could be that I just have a very narrow definition of what an RPG is, and it heavily leans more toward the 'JRPG' spectrum when I say 'RPG'. To me it basically comes down to a 'I know it when I see it' kind of like OP said, and to me I would call Souls games Action-Adventure games with RPG elements.

Also know that I am not at all serious and I don't really care too much, I just enjoy arguing semantics about RPG genres :p. It's all in good fun.

Okay, I can concede that! It's a game I've been curious about but just haven't gotten around to playing before.

I guess there's just something about them that I wouldn't consider them to be RPGs, primarily, despite all that being true. Could be that I just have a very narrow definition of what an RPG is, and it heavily leans more toward the 'JRPG' spectrum when I say 'RPG'. To me it basically comes down to a 'I know it when I see it' kind of like OP said, and to me I would call Souls games Action-Adventure games with RPG elements.

Also know that I am not at all serious and I don't really care too much, I just enjoy arguing semantics about RPG genres :p. It's all in good fun.
Haha no worries, I am taking this all in good fun :)

In any case, I did actually suspect that it might be exactly what you say that is causing the discrepancy, that is, your definition of RPG skews more towards the classic console definition, informed by the turn based RPGs from the SNES and PS1 eras chiefly I would say. There is nothing wrong with that, of course! But I do want to point out, under that very narrow definition, even Dungeons and Dragons/Wizardry/Ultima would not qualify as RPGs, which are, very literally, the progenitors of even JRPGs lol

Haha no worries, I am taking this all in good fun :)

In any case, I did actually suspect that it might be exactly what you say that is causing the discrepancy, that is, your definition of RPG skews more towards the classic console definition, informed by the turn based RPGs from the SNES and PS1 eras chiefly I would say. There is nothing wrong with that, of course! But I do want to point out, under that very narrow definition, even Dungeons and Dragons/Wizardry/Ultima would not qualify as RPGs, which are, very literally, the progenitors of even JRPGs lol
It's true, I know my reasoning is kind of arbitrary and I'm not even entirely sure I believe it all the time - I probably will change my mind on what is or isn't at a moments notice, lol.

I do really enjoy learning about the history of RPGs in general and how they all came to be; the roots of the genre, where things split off, etc. For example, the history of Wizardry is fascinating, how it started off as one of the Ur-computer western RPGs and then became so popular in Japan that it sort of morphed into a JRPG, etc.

But anyway, this is getting wildly off-topic and all I will say is: FF16 looks interesting, and I'm not sure that it's for me or not yet but I'm eager to give it a try!

You should play Dragon’s Dogma. Such an interesting game and yeah it’s 100% an action RPG.

I mean if stat boosting gear counts than the only thing seperating totk from an rpg is no level ups?
The only thing separating it from an RPG is people who don’t want to call it one for some reason. Nintendo even has it categorized as one on the NA eShop.

oh ok so you just have a really silly definition of rpg lol

I mean yes, I admitted as much!

im just confused what value there is holding such a strangely specific definition that contradicts the definition that is used by the majority of people that discuss video games on the internet. in this kind of conversation environment arent words only as good as the utility they serve in helping us understand each other? lol

im just confused what value there is holding such a strangely specific definition that contradicts the definition that is used by the majority of people that discuss video games on the internet. in this kind of conversation environment arent words only as good as the utility they serve in helping us understand each other? lol
It's not that strange, though? I listen to the Axe of the Blood God RPG podcast, for example, and they've had lengthy debates about whether the Souls games are or are not RPGs, and what is and isn't in general. Lately they've more come around to saying they are, but even just recently that was not set in stone. And I've seen similar arguments in a lot of different places before. I'm not just being arbitrary for the sake of it, even if I know that most people probably would call more things RPGs than I would.

EDIT: I get what you mean, though, and in general it makes sense to just talk about things generally in ways most people would understand them, of course. But I thought that part of this topic was kind of poking fun at that idea, anyway, and all

Last edited:
It's not that strange, though? I listen to the Axe of the Blood God RPG podcast, for example, and they've had lengthy debates about whether the Souls games are or are not RPGs, and what is and isn't in general. Lately they've more come around to saying they are, but even just recently that was not set in stone. And I've seen similar arguments in a lot of different places before. I'm not just being arbitrary for the sake of it, even if I know that most people probably would call more things RPGs than I would.

im not sure why a podcast (that doesnt seem to be that popular even) having discussions about the souls games (which are explicitly rpgs btw, you literally get what amounts to exp from enemies and choose what stats to raise using that exp) is indicative of anything. people on podcasts are just as capable of being obtuse about things as anyone else is.

i didnt mean to imply i thought you, specifically, were being completely and uniquely specific in their definition, i know there are some small group of people that define it differently, ive just never been able to get a solid answer to the question i asked, and you didnt really provide one here either so ill ask it again:

whats the value in defining dark souls as a not an rpg despite all the things it shares with other games in the genre when the goal is using common terms to have a mutually understandable discussion.

quick edit: ill give you an example of a genre distinction that i hold that i think does have value:

a lot of people put Metroid under the "metroidvania" genre label, but i dont think it fits. metroidvanias are games that follow symphony of the nights design philosophies. other than the map layout metroid and symphony of the night are pretty radically different kinds of games. there are games that are closer to metroid than symphony of the night (touho luna night, axiom verge, shadow complex) but when i think of a metroidvania its something thats closer to SOTN (your hollow knights, your bloodstaineds, etc)

Last edited:
im not sure why a podcast (that doesnt seem to be that popular even) having discussions about the souls games (which are explicitly rpgs btw, you literally get what amounts to exp from enemies and choose what stats to raise using that exp) is indicative of anything. people on podcasts are just as capable of being obtuse about things as anyone else is.

i didnt mean to imply i thought you, specifically, were being completely and uniquely specific in their definition, i know there are some small group of people that define it differently, ive just never been able to get a solid answer to the question i asked, and you didnt really provide one here either so ill ask it again:

whats the value in defining dark souls as a not an rpg despite all the things it shares with other games in the genre when the goal is using common terms to have a mutually understandable discussion.

quick edit: ill give you an example of a genre distinction that i hold that i think does have value:

a lot of people put Metroid under the "metroidvania" genre label, but i dont think it fits. metroidvanias are games that follow symphony of the nights design philosophies. other than the map layout metroid and symphony of the night are pretty radically different kinds of games. there are games that are closer to metroid than symphony of the night (touho luna night, axiom verge, shadow complex) but when i think of a metroidvania its something thats closer to SOTN (your hollow knights, your bloodstaineds, etc)
I guess more my point was, in a lot of the areas that I frequent online, especially ones that specifically focus on RPGs, the Souls games being RPGs or not is something that has come up fairly often and isn't an unusual conversation to have, that's all.

But you're probably right, most of the time the general definition of RPG is pretty pointless and most things that seem like they might fit probably should be included to make things all make sense and be accessible and obvious.

If I really think about it, the main reason that we (and the kinds of places I was talking about) usually get into arguments about what is or isn't an RPG is for the kind of thing that the internet loves to argue about most: Top <x> lists, and awards. And a lot of that is probably due to gate-keepy nonsense and old-school RPG fans who are annoyed at action-heavy games. Which I admit, I am like that sometimes! So the merit of those kinds of arguments is pretty questionable. BUT, I always enjoy them; I'm someone who really liked debates and long-winded arguments about really pointless semantics. It's how my brain is wired.

If you’re serious about saying none of those games are RPGs then I just…Truly baffled.
Just to be clear: I'm not trying to say they aren't, as though I'm an authority on it or anything, I'm saying from my perspective they don't seem like RPGs. I don't necessarily think I'm right about it. And don't worry, I'm baffled too. LOL

So what does that make the NieR games?
See having played and absolutely adored both NieR games, I seriously would categorize them as action games.

For the record, I'm not claiming FFXVI isn't an RPG because of its action based gameplay. I'm claiming it's not an RPG because it's obvious it's designed and developed as a character action game first and foremost with what appears to be minor exploration and side content with a streamlined focus on character action and extremely linear story based pacing.

To me, this is a character action game with some rpg mechanics bolted onto it and not an RPG with character action bolted onto it (like in Ys, which I vibe with a lot).
This here is the way I feel. FFXVI doesn't look like Final Fantasy to me, it looks like Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.

Just to be clear: I'm not trying to say they aren't, as though I'm an authority on it or anything, I'm saying from my perspective they don't seem like RPGs. I don't necessarily think I'm right about it. And don't worry, I'm baffled too. LOL

See having played and absolutely adored both NieR games, I seriously would categorize them as action games.

This here is the way I feel. FFXVI doesn't look like Final Fantasy to me, it looks like Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.
Action RPGs have been around since 1984, longer than the original Final Fantasy even. You’re just being silly.

Ok, that's enough internet for me for today.

maybe when you come back tomorrow you can read the next couple lines of text where i explained why i think theres a meaningful distinction lol. hell, the term "metroidvania" itself was coined to talk about games that were literally part metroid and part castlevania. metroid itself obviously only fits half that formula.

"metroidvania" is a significantly more specific genre description than something as broad as "rpg," but i was genuinely trying to understand what value there was in not applying said broad label to a game like dark souls when it seems, to me, to unambiguously fit.

I mean if stat boosting gear counts than the only thing seperating totk from an rpg is no level ups?
At this point the only thing separating Zelda from an rpg is heart points rather than hit points. When you can have dozens of hearts and each is comprised of four hit points (quarters) each, the only real difference is that damage in Zelda is often taken in single and double figures rather than three or four. The enemies even have HP bars. When you’ve got a list of sidequests, optional main quests to focus on, crafting, equipment, exploration and hit points, Zelda at this point is just an rpg that’s exceptional in having spent decades carefully avoiding the discussions about the various genre labels. Like this one. :D

Last edited:
Super Mario Bros. 3 is an RPG because it's turn-based and has character builds, resource management, and an inventory.

The reason for this distinction is that pretty much every Metroidvania besides Axiom Verge and Environmental Station Alpha is based on SotN (or nowadays, Hollow Knight and Ori) instead of Metroid, and SotN itself was actually inspired by A Link to the Past rather than Super Metroid. Which is why it has things like a comparatively open map, a large number of simple items that are mostly optional or block off only a few specific rooms, and a dark world. Notably, Link's Awakening is the game that established that Zelda dungeons work like a Metroid game; A Link to the Past is still full of dungeons that don't use their item at all, so it's kind of funny how they just missed each other like this. Converting Link's Awakening to a sidescroller pretty much would get you Super Metroid. But instead you have this weird situation where Metroid's signature gameplay loop that's included in every description of the genre is basically an afterthought in the vast majority of games in the genre--that is named after Metroid--because these games don't actually have any Metroid DNA, and no one really seems to notice? It's a bizarre situation.

I’m not familiar with Zelda pre-BOTW (or even post-BOTW tbh lol) but it’s obvious from my point of view that BOTW and TOTK are action RPGs, and FF16 is about as much of an RPG as that, too.
It’s not the kind of RPG that I like, but still an RPG.

My two cents, because I think this is an interesting discussion:
I'm with those saying that the distinction between Action-Adventure, Action-RPG, and similar games these days is getting ever less useful. The differences between games like BotW, TotK, FF XV, FF XVI, GoW 2018, Ragnarok, Horizon Zero Dawn, Forbidden West, etc.pp. are becoming so marginal at this point, you'd be forgiven to lump them all into the same category. They're different in terms of exact execution and specific systems/mechanics, but at the end of the day, structurally they're too similar to really keep them artifically separated, I'd say.
There are obviously RPGs as well as Action games very different from the titles listed before, the likes of DMC, Bayonetta, but also Divinity Original Sin for instance. I think these should still be treated as their own type rather than throwing them into the same pool as the others above.

And then developers aren't really beholden to stick with stiff genre conventions, so these descriptors are, at the end of the day, tools for orientation at best, imo.

The reason for this distinction is that pretty much every Metroidvania besides Axiom Verge and Environmental Station Alpha is based on SotN (or nowadays, Hollow Knight and Ori) instead of Metroid, and SotN itself was actually inspired by A Link to the Past rather than Super Metroid. Which is why it has things like a comparatively open map, a large number of simple items that are mostly optional or block off only a few specific rooms, and a dark world. Notably, Link's Awakening is the game that established that Zelda dungeons work like a Metroid game; A Link to the Past is still full of dungeons that don't use their item at all, so it's kind of funny how they just missed each other like this. Converting Link's Awakening to a sidescroller pretty much would get you Super Metroid. But instead you have this weird situation where Metroid's signature gameplay loop that's included in every description of the genre is basically an afterthought in the vast majority of games in the genre--that is named after Metroid--because these games don't actually have any Metroid DNA, and no one really seems to notice? It's a bizarre situation.

yep, this is what im talkin about. actual metroid likes are pretty few and far between, so classing metroid as a "metroidvania" itself feels off

yep, this is what im talkin about. actual metroid likes are pretty few and far between, so classing metroid as a "metroidvania" itself feels off
That's just not true. Shadow Complex? Guacamelee? Gato Roboto? The indie scene is filled with Metroidvanias that are way more on the Metroid side of the spectrum.

Edit: Yoku's Island Express, Mummy Demastered, Lyle in Cube Sector, Within a Deep Forest (OK, those last two are too obscure to count, but I love them dammit).

That's just not true. Shadow Complex? Guacamelee? Gato Roboto? The indie scene is filled with Metroidvanias that are way more on the Metroid side of the spectrum.

id give you shadow complex and gato roboto, but i dont really agree with guacamelee, but guac is admittedly the one of those three ive played the least (just a couple hours)

but still, games like shadow complex, gato, axiom verge, like i mentioned above id even be willing to give one touho luna nights, are far more scarce than the ones who follow the more melee focused with light rpg elements gameplay of the castlevania games.

id give you shadow complex and gato roboto, but i dont really agree with guacamelee, but guac is admittedly the one of those three ive played the least (just a couple hours)

but still, games like shadow complex, gato, axiom verge, like i mentioned above id even be willing to give one touho luna nights, are far more scarce than the ones who follow the more melee focused with light rpg elements gameplay of the castlevania games.
Well Guacamelee is a straight up Super Metroid clone, colored doors and all. Its tone is nothing like SM, but it's gameplay loop is identical.

And I think that full on RPG style ones like SotN aren't as common as you're letting on. Most games fall somewhere in the middle.

But you're right, there are more on the right side of the chart than the left overall. I will give you that.

And I highly recommend you play one of the other two games I mentioned. They're both free, and surprisingly polished for freeware games. Weirdly, I think that indies have historically leaned more on the Metroid side until the big indie boom. Not sure why. But it means there's a lot of great Metroid type games under the radar.

Edit: Yoku's Island Express, Mummy Demastered, Lyle in Cube Sector, Within a Deep Forest (OK, those last two are too obscure to count, but I love them dammit).
*writes all these down for adding to his eShop wishlist later*

*writes all these down for adding to his eShop wishlist later*
The last two are free for PC, and I shill them (and Untitled Story which is more Vania-y) desperately and constantly. Please play these forgotten indie games. Pppleeeeaaasseeeeeeeeeeee

Damn, I'm way off topic as usual. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Finalvania Fantasytroid? That anything?

call of duty is an rpg
This is why we cannot do a checklist of features to determine if something is an rpg. The checklist can be applied to any game to determine that it is in fact an RPG.

This is why I went with a gut check and staked my claim. FFXVI is not an RPG and I stand by it. Doesn't mean others don't have to agree with me. It just means that's what I feel.

Back
Top Bottom