• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Will dragons play a bigger role in Botw2?

Will there be more motherfucking Dragons?

• You sexy bastard, you're right

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • Call the asylum, we got a loonie

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

AranPrime

Octorok
Pronouns
He
Since Nintendo has somehow made the wait for Botw2 just as if not more arduous than the wait for the original, I've been keeping myself steady by both replaying the original and rewatching that e3 trailer. Seriously, this thing better be at The Game Awards.

But in addition to that unhealthy habit, I've also been thinking about Trinen's comment about how the subtitle would be a spoiler for this game's premise. So, playing the original game again, I've been thinking what that could mean. For something to be a spoiler for a sequel, generally the seed of the idea must first be sowed in the original.

And with that mind has come to one thing......Motherfucking Dragons.

Here's why I'm thinking these guys will both play a bigger role in the sequel and may actually be mentioned in the game's subtitle.

1. Dragons, both living and dead, though mostly dead, are scattered through out the map of the original. Their presence, while felt, was always an aspect that felt a bit undercooked. Especially since the encounter with Naydra is an absolute highlight of the game. Naturally, I'm thinking Aonuma's team probably had some ideas for them that were left on the cutting room.

2. Another element you'll find all throughout Hyrule in Botw are ruins of an ancient tribe known as the Zonais. If you thought the inclusion of Dragons was vague, these guys have zero explanation to them. I'm not even sure if a single NPC mentions them by name. But from what we can gather, they hunted Dragons and are most likely responsible for all the dragon skeletons laying around. Again, their history is ripe to be expanded upon in the sequel.

3. We're going into the sky in the sequel. What do you need to get into the sky? Wings! What creature has wings? No, not loftwing......motherfucking Dragons. They're in the game. Bonus point if we can ride them.

4. In the e3 2021 trailer, Link has a flamethrower that takes the form of a dragon head. So either this hints at the inclusion of people that use dragon based weapons, AKA the Zonais, or we're using dragon parts to craft these, something that was a small part of the original. Both roads lead to the inclusion of Dragons.

5. Hey, Skyrim did it. So since Nintendo looked at Skyrim as inspiration for Botw, it's likely they wanted to do something similar to the dragon fights in Skyrim, but never got around to it or never got it working properly, maybe the Naydra encounter hints at this. In addition, considering enemy variety is Botw's biggest weakness, they undoubtedly will create new foes for Botw2 anf since introducing enemies that were already previously is easier than something wholly new, it'd make sense for there to be dragon like enemies.

6. In the e3 2021 trailer, it seems that the skyward realm is invisible while on land, perhaps hinting at some sort of barrier keeping it hidden. And wouldn't you know, you can actually see a dragon in Botw go through a portal when it ascends towards the sky. Where do they go? Why obviously to the sky islands in the trailer. Will we ride them through these portals? Who's to say.

So am I crazy or are you crazy for doubting me?

zelda-botw2-flamethrower-shield.jpg

I don't recall dead dragons in BOTW. There are the leviathan bones, but those appear to be more whale-like creatures. I thought the dragons were tastefully done in BOTW. The dragons in the series are more eastern inspired, especially in the more recent games. Not just in looks but also purpose. They aren't some evil force that that threatens humanity. They are more natural and spiritual. I don't don't need some deep lore dump about why they exist or have some greater purpose to the overall narrative. It creates a sense that the world exists outside of the current events of the main plot. They give a sense of mystery and wonder that is vital to the game.

It was sort of strange, in BoTW, how little the dragons were mentioned. I hope they’re part of something more significant than armour upgrades in the sequel.

I also hope there is some kind of new dragon boss in the sequel. Volvagia and Argorok were good fights with very good bosses, but I hope we get a very good or great boss and battle mechanic(s).

I definitely think so. There are a lot of signs, especially if BotW2 deals more with the Zonai (which it seems to).

Dragons in Breath of the Wild were among the weirdest and most magnificent parts of the game, and I only wished they'd done more with them. Saving Naydra was cool, but it wasn't enough.

I'm going to say more dragon content in the sequel almost feels like a given. We're in the sky - and the dragons descended from and returned to giant vortexes in the clouds. I'll be pretty bummed if we don't have some wild dragon related quests.

I don't recall dead dragons in BOTW. There are the leviathan bones, but those appear to be more whale-like creatures. I thought the dragons were tastefully done in BOTW. The dragons in the series are more eastern inspired, especially in the more recent games. Not just in looks but also purpose. They aren't some evil force that that threatens humanity. They are more natural and spiritual. I don't don't need some deep lore dump about why they exist or have some greater purpose to the overall narrative. It creates a sense that the world exists outside of the current events of the main plot. They give a sense of mystery and wonder that is vital to the game.

I'd have to assume OP means the Leviathan bones - and yeah, they pretty much look like Levias from Skyward Sword. That said I'd be very OK to see a living one in the sequel.

I think I only found one or two dragons in BotW? I don't even remember the game giving any direction on what to do with them. I remember getting on the back of the thunder one and feeling like I had done something wrong.

I think I only found one or two dragons in BotW? I don't even remember the game giving any direction on what to do with them. I remember getting on the back of the thunder one and feeling like I had done something wrong.

Outside of Naydra, which was situated at the peak of Mount Lanayru and had a small sidequest, the other dragons were kind of window dressing. The only reason you'd interact with them was shooting specific points on them to gather scales, horns and claw fragments which were used for high level armor upgrades.

Outside of Naydra, which was situated at the peak of Mount Lanayru and had a small sidequest, the other dragons were kind of window dressing. The only reason you'd interact with them was shooting specific points on them to gather scales, horns and claw fragments which were used for high level armor upgrades.
Ohhh that’s what you were supposed to do with them? I just figured they were some optional boss I couldn’t figure out how to kill 😅

The dragons were awesome, even if there wasn't much actual interaction with them. It was such a mystical feeling seeing those huge things flying in the distance. And that music when they get close is phenomenal. They added so much to the game's world by just existing.

The dragons were awesome, even if there wasn't much actual interaction with them. It was such a mystical feeling seeing those huge things flying in the distance. And that music when they get close is phenomenal. They added so much to the game's world by just existing.
One of the most memorable and awe-inspiring parts of the game for me. Standing at the top of that canyon and seeing one flying towards my location in the distance, wondering if it’ll be hostile or ignore me, and then that music as it flew past. So great. I actually think they’re kind of better as they are - they have a gameplay purpose, but they also make the world feel bigger and more magical, and like there’s plenty of lore and myth that doesn’t necessarily have much to do with the adventure you’re on.

I want underwater dragons as we explore the deep ocean

As someone who can’t even go beyond Subnautica’s first area…I would struggle with this lol.

I remember how i gasped when i first saw a dragon in BOTW, flying in the distance. I prefer the way these dragons were portrayed in the game, almost like (demi)gods or spirits who watch over their respective regions, a way which, i presume, comes from eastern tradition. I'd be glad if they were somewhat more active in BOTW2 and took part in the game's main story, maybe not necessarily as foes.

I remember I made a self quest of mapping all the dragons' courses throughout the day, like I was on a research trip lmao. It would be awesome to have more of them. In Twilight Princess I remember that Argorok was in the City in the Sky, specifically. Albeit that was another type of dragon, maybe BOTW2 will tap on that kind of encounter.

I have absolutely adored dragons since I was a child, I would absolutely love it if they were expanded upon and given a larger role in BOTW2.

While I enjoyed their presence in the first game as mysterious, almost god-like beings that you mostly just saw from a distance, the sidequest with Naydra was one of my favourite parts of the entire game, and having more direct interaction with them in the sequel would be awesome.

Perhaps instead of just bursting out of the ground they could have a lair that they return to to sleep, and you could follow them back and either sneak in and steal rare materials, or pick a fight with them for a very tough optional boss battle.

Last edited:
The public wasn't supposed to find out this early, but I guess now that it's in the open...

BOTW2 is a science-based, 100% dragon MMO.

Would love more dragons. They were a really nice piece of environment. I remember when i first encountered one; standing with my back to it off camera the music kicked in and i was super confused, then i get hit in the back with a lightning ball, thinking it's a Lizafols or whatever i get my weapon out to fight it, then you see this massive dragon flying away like, yeah, not gonna be able to fight that so early in the game!

When finding the bones i remember thinking if there would be a way to revive them and they'd join the other dragons.

I'd like more Chuchus myself actually. If a Dragon Chuchu is among them I wouldn't oppose it as long as it is bouncy.

What we know is that children can see the dragons and that people not having a pure heart have seen their shadows. We can also see that they open some kind of portal in the sky before disappearing. I can see them comming back since we see link also in the skyislands. But no one can see the sky island besides link. Because of pure heart.

I don't agree that BOTW has a low variety of enemies. It is the Zelda with the greatest variety of enemies. That there are few enemies is just a wrong thought as the camping grounds are full of Bokoblin.
But this is as if in another open world game where the camps are filled with the same human NPCs over and over again, it is said that only has the same human NPC enemy, over and over again.

You needed a scale for each to access the shrines in their respective springs.

They were a pretty big missed opportunity. When I stumbled upon the ice one I was very surprised. Afterwards it’s pretty disappointing since the other two didn’t have a quest of the same scale as that one. On top of that, they were the perfect occasion to give you some kind of Master Sword-like elemental wand but instead you get a fire/ice/thunder spear that you can already find elsewhere. And then when you see them roaming their only purpose is to shoot them to get crafting materials

I really hope the sequel reinvents itself as much as possible, or at least manages to have classic Zelda dungeons and items in an open world. I really don’t want to wait 5 years for a similar game that keeps using these repetitive progression systems seen in so many open world games (crafting materials, breakable weapons over unique items)

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back because although Dragon isn't in the title, there are two of them in the game's logo. I'm 1-0 in my Zelda predictions and obviously you should all listen to me when I say that TOTK will be a Strand game. After all, I have an a perfect record.

Back
Top Bottom