• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Will BOTW2 be delayed to 2023 to coincide with a possible Switch 2/Pro Launch?

WIll it be delayed

• Yes

Votes: 63 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 104 62.3%

• Total voters
Are you sure? I've seen a lot of places talk about a 50% boost in GPU clocks.
However, the New 3DS represents a significant leap forward - unfortunately, the GPU offers no improvement in any way whatsoever, but the main ARM processor is upgraded to a quad-core model, CPU frequency can increase to 804MHz, plus there's much more memory, opening the door to advantages such as shorter loading times, and higher detail textures. Specifically, system RAM doubles to 256MB, the GPU receives an extra 4MB of VRAM, while there's also some extra L2 cache on the CPU.

Good to know, thanks.

Anyway I still feel Dane is looking like more of a new 3DS style upgrade rather than a generational leap (like 3DS to Switch). At least on paper. Architecture and DLSS will for sure help it punch above its weight, when used correctly.

Both of which did get plenty of exclusive games from third parties.
Its seems counter productive given what 3rd party cries about all the time.
Why would they trade a 90+ M userbase for whatever small % Dane will be?

[BGCOLOR=rgb(231, 231, 231)]The switch as far as we can tell , and as far as even nintendo’s forecast predictions are saying , is not still on a climb , its peak was last FY, even if it was still climbing ,[/BGCOLOR]

The past 2-3 year Nintendo final number have exceed their forecast, and this is not like PS4 and 360 that already played all their cards, Switch still has not even start to get price cuts

Nate has said exclusive games are being developed for this new system. You also say you don’t think it will be heaven and earth ahead but the new chip along with DLSS means it will be a full generational leap over the original Switch in terms of graphical output.
That is dumb, if Dane is a next gen, then cool, exclusives, but if its a mid gen upgrade/ a pro, ditching the existing 90+ M units is just plain out stupid

Furukawa has stated that resting on laurels is not the mindset he's in.
You still dont kill a golden egg goose while still laying eggs

Its seems counter productive given what 3rd party cries about all the time.
Why would they trade a 90+ M userbase for whatever small % Dane will be?
For some games it's either you target the higher end model or don't put it on any switch at all. Unless they want to pay for a cloud game.

Good to know, thanks.

Anyway I still feel Dane is looking like more of a new 3DS style upgrade rather than a generational leap (like 3DS to Switch). At least on paper. Architecture and DLSS will for sure help it punch above its weight, when used correctly.
I made this post tackling the idea. using a "worst case upgrade" of same # of gpu cores at the same clock, what kind of performance is possible. just moving to Turing could give ~40% increase in performance. Ampere and Lovelace would give a higher jump, before DLSS (assuming DLSS would work)

I made this post tackling the idea. using a "worst case upgrade" of same # of gpu cores at the same clock, what kind of performance is possible. just moving to Turing could give ~40% increase in performance. Ampere and Lovelace would give a higher jump, before DLSS (assuming DLSS would work)

Architectural improvements only matter if the game in question properly takes advantage of them though. And that probably won't be the case for every game, though I'm guessing it would for most.

For some games it's either you target the higher end model or don't put it on any switch at all. Unless they want to pay for a cloud game.
and again , outside of arbitrary nomenclature, what’s the difference between “abandoning a several million userbase “ when it’s a “next gen console” and when it’s a “mid gen re-fresh? Companies like sony have a lot of their titles cross-gen for the first two years because they very much have no desire to miss out on that older user base. In constrast it’s not like there hasn’t been established precedent of nintendo themselves being more than okay releasing “mid gen exclusives”.

Then dont put it?? We already “agreed” that no game skips switch cause it has any gameplay feature impossible to downgrade.

Its either laziness or lack of care (looking at you KH). So why make a port to a zero userbase consoles then? To complain when sales are not 7 digits?

and again , outside of arbitrary nomenclature, what’s the difference between “abandoning a several million userbase “ when it’s a “next gen console” and when it’s a “mid gen re-fresh? Companies like sony have a lot of their titles cross-gen for the first two years because they very much have no desire to miss out on that older user base. In constrast it’s not like there hasn’t been established precedent of nintendo themselves being more than okay releasing “mid gen exclusives”.
Here's the secret:

The only difference is marketing. That's it.
Then dont put it?? We already “agreed” that no game skips switch cause it has any gameplay feature impossible to downgrade.

Its either laziness or lack of care (looking at you KH). So why make a port to a zero userbase consoles then? To complain when sales are not 7 digits?
I must have missed something because I don't agree at all?

Many games aren't coming because it's not financially viable to bring them, or probably in a few rare cases it's technologically impossible. Once that financial barrier comes down enough you'll see publishers happily port some games to it even if they decide to skip the 100M+ userbase on the base Switch.

Architectural improvements only matter if the game in question properly takes advantage of them though. And that probably won't be the case for every game, though I'm guessing it would for most.
games will hit their maximums, which didn't happen with the n3DS because games very specific to the hardware. though I think people have found that some overclocks worked on some games?

If it was going to be a Pro, doesn't that suggest the BC fears are overstated? I mean you can't have a version of a console family that can't play most of its games. That's what a successor is for.

BC fears are overstated in any case (that goes for Switch 2 also), Nintendo most likely would have BC for previous hardware in any case,
I mean we know new Switch hardware will also have Nvidia+ARM so BC is almost certain.

The devkits are for a DLSS capable Switch, which isn't something that ever could've happened in 2021. I don't buy any of these excuses about COVID or chip shortages (there are no shortages btw, just unprecedented demand), the chip that they've been working on for years has never been indicated as coming any earlier than 2022.

Whether that's a pro or 2 is completely up to how Nintendo markets it. But I am pretty confident that there was no separate "pro" planned for this year. The only time I believe they were considering launching a "pro" but didn't was in 2019 IMO.

Actually Nate said that DevKits for stronger Switch start shipping at end of 2020. he also said that plan was to release "Pro" in 2021. and that almost no one know for OLED model so that means that was quick decide to release at least OLED revision with same chip if they cant have stronger Switch with different chip ready for this year.

I mean there was chip shortage and that is fact, even now chips orders and manufacturing are very tight.

Actually Nate said that DevKits for stronger Switch start shipping at end of 2020. he also said that plan was to release "Pro" in 2021. and that almost no one know for OLED model so that means that was quick decide to release at least OLED revision with same chip if they cant have stronger Switch with different chip ready for this year.

I mean there was chip shortage and that is fact, even now chips orders and manufacturing are very tight.
Did he say confidently that it was ever planned for release in 2021? Knowing what we do about the Dane chip the only actual official info we have about it (Orin S) is that it was always planned to ship starting in 2022, not 2021.

when you expect many people to jump ship. a lot of these games will be multiplatform, so there's other systems to help amortized costs
But why do you expect to jump ship? Switch has not shown any sign of being on its last leg,
games are coming out
we know games are in development
hardware itself still has not used the “holiday”/ Permanent Discount Card

The reasons 3rd party jumps of to say PS5 instead of stay on PS4 Doesnt apply to Nintendo hardware

But why do you expect to jump ship? Switch has not shown any sign of being on its last leg,
I don't think there's gonna be much stock of hybrid Mariko units upon Dane Switch's launch. and I'm expecting third parties to do a flood of late ports as a quick cash grab to take advantage of a hardware launch. has the potential to move a good number of people over

I don't think there's gonna be much stock of hybrid Mariko units upon Dane Switch's launch. and I'm expecting third parties to do a flood of late ports as a quick cash grab to take advantage of a hardware launch. has the potential to move a good number of people over
unless the Dane Switch is basically a PS4, I dont think it will do that much to facilitate "easy" porting, especially if it will then be the "exclusive" new born device to "make a quick cash grab"

Back
Top Bottom