• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Will BOTW2 be delayed to 2023 to coincide with a possible Switch 2/Pro Launch?

WIll it be delayed

• Yes

Votes: 63 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 104 62.3%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
So the successor of the switch is rumored to come out soon, a early 2023 launch makes sense since that will be 6 years after the switch came out. Also it will also be a considerable time since the oled coming out instead of the successor coming out the following year. Now BOTW2 is said to be coming out in 2022 confirmed at the end of the latest trailer. But it is no secret that Zelda games get delayed all the time TP was supposed to come out in 2005, SS was supposed to come out in 2010. And then we have the end of the BOTW trailer which put up a 2015 Date but was delayed to 2017

DOF8hlC6BaAM.png

I also thought there was no way BOTW was going to miss a holiday 2016 release but then it was actually released with the switch launch in early 2017. I feel like something similar could happen with BOTW2 . What do you think.

No, unless Nintendo is willing to bet that the system itself is so exciting that we're willing to wait.

Sell me on it, Nintendo!

who am i kidding i'm already sold

I’m gonna word this very carefully.

I think BOTW2 is going to be the marketing-focused game at the launch of the next Nintendo hardware.

This leaves my statement open to a lot of possible scenarios, listed here in order of how likely I think they are from most to least:

1) BOTW2 is out fall-holiday (Falliday) 2022, The New Hardware is out Early (March) 2023, marketing makes a big deal of pointing out how much better it looks/runs on The New Hardware.

2) BOTW2 is delayed and launches with The New Hardware in Early 2023. It also runs (kinda poorly) on the launch Switch.

3) BOTW2 and The New Hardware are both out Falliday 2022.

No. I think they'll want to make use of the massive install base of the Switch to sell 20m+ copies of BotW2. Nintendo is all about making money, after all. But moreover, BotW2 is simply a graphically outdated game. It's not built from the ground up to be a graphical showcase competitive with modern games. Hell, I was disappointed with BotW graphically five years ago. (Disappointed graphically, but not artistically)

Then they can use BotW2 as an example of how Switch 2 improves game resolution and runs them at 4k.

I believe Metroid Prime 4 will be the hardcore game used to sell the Switch 2 at launch. It should be a graphical showcase.

No, because the new Switch will be launching next year.

Why is everyone suddenly convinced it's a 2023 product? Developers don't have dev kits for over two years before a console launches.

I think the question on everyone's mind is "can Nintendo do it again?" If Dane is a clean break as I suspect it to be, will a Dane exclusive BOTW2 push hardware the way BOTW did? Or should they try it the other way, leveraging the install base of the original Switch to push the software?

I think BOTW2 is going to be the marketing-focused game at the launch of the next Nintendo hardware.

This leaves my statement open to a lot of possible scenarios, listed here in order of how likely I think they are from most to least:

1) BOTW2 is out fall-holiday (Falliday) 2022, The New Hardware is out Early (March) 2023, marketing makes a big deal of pointing out how much better it looks/runs on The New Hardware.

2) BOTW2 is delayed and launches with The New Hardware in Early 2023. It also runs (kinda poorly) on the launch Switch.

I think it will be Mario Kart 9 (or 10) as the big launch game with Mario 3D for the Holiday game.

If it does get delayed I won't be mad but I'm still holding out for 2022, and before new hardware is available. When a successor is announced I wouldn't be surprised to see Breath of the Wild 2 as part of the marketing but more in an enhanced port/potential backwards compatibility way.

Why is everyone suddenly convinced it's a 2023 product? Developers don't have dev kits for over two years before a console launches.
I think to some extent it's wishful thinking from OLED buyers who haven't realized that Nintendo, like all corporations, is two-faced and evil.

Yes. Aonuma saying they’re “aiming” for a 2022 release in the midst of a global pandemic and continued shutdowns doesn’t inspire confidence. March 2023.

no, the Switch 2 will be released with a day one all-new Mario game.
BotW2 will be re-released for Switch 2 later with a 4k patch for the same 60 dollars.

I think theyll save mario this time tbh, for next gen switch. Or Mario Kart 9 (lets not kid ourselves itll be mario kart 8 ultimate ultra deluxe)

No, unless Nintendo is willing to bet that the system itself is so exciting that we're willing to wait.

Sell me on it, Nintendo!

who am i kidding i'm already sold

You mean like they did with Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild? :)

Imo this was why they said BotW2 was “targeting” 2022. It depends on when the next Switch is coming whether that be late 2022 or 2023.

We know from Nate that this system is in development and kits are out there. Makes sense that Zelda would launch with it as has happened twice before.

#1 is my nightmare scenario....i cant hold out...but it would suck to play a 300hr game knowing theres a better way to play it in a few months.

I think #2 is the most likely...Nintendo has no issue sitting on software.

As I stated in another thread, I see it being a cross gen game, releasing first on Switch and then later on it's successor with a graphical boost and significant DLC offering.

As an aside, I'd be very interested to see what kind of month 1 numbers a hotly anticipated Zelda on a best-selling console can manage.

I think to some extent it's wishful thinking from OLED buyers who haven't realized that Nintendo, like all corporations, is two-faced and evil.
It's just weird to me. A month ago we were all saying 2022-2023 and now everyone seems so sure it's 2023.

2023 is possible of course but what evidence we do have points more to 2022. The global semiconductor demand crisis could of course push it though.

#1 is my nightmare scenario....i cant hold out...but it would suck to play a 300hr game knowing theres a better way to play it in a few months.

I think #2 is the most likely...Nintendo has no issue sitting on software.
You’re absolutely right on that: Nintendo is not shy of holding off on releasing a game until it’s ready (“it“ being either the game OR Nintendo themselves) so it’s not as unlikely as people might think (even though they did say 2022)

Honestly I think they said 2022 to be like “no, this is not in development hell, it’s still coming, do not worry” and I don’t think they’d have any real qualms pushing it to March 2023 to launch alongside their beef machine.

I think it’s the other way around. Nintendo will wait on the Switch 2 launch until BOTW 2 is ready, which will be 2023. To be honest, I don’t see why they should be in any rush to get either of them out next year, given the software line up they already have and how strong their sales are.

Also can you really call it a delay when they said they’re “aiming for” 2022?

It's just weird to me. A month ago we were all saying 2022-2023 and now everyone seems so sure it's 2023.

2023 is possible of course but what evidence we do have points more to 2022. The global semiconductor demand crisis could of course push it though.
It's simple. Rumors/zeitgeist say 2022, people want the Switch to last til 2024, split the difference, 2023.

Switch will probably last till 2026-2027 though if whatever is coming is indeed next year.

Since it's too early for a traditional successor.
If there even IS a “traditional successor.“ I think we, as a society, are getting away from the idea that every 6-8 years you start over. You don’t do that with phones, tablets, computers, etc. I think the precedent is set, and that games are going to be forward compatible from now on.

If there even IS a “traditional successor.“ I think we, as a society, are getting away from the idea that every 6-8 years you start over. You don’t do that with phones, tablets, computers, etc. I think the precedent is set, and that games are going to be forward compatible from now on.
That's exactly my point, yes.

Because i think literally everything has been delayed by Covid, and because devs need dev kits earlier because of Covid.

So... Covid.

Also chip / component shortages and the continuing great sales of Switch meaning that there's no rush.

Otherwise I'd be team 2022 instead of March 2023.

But note I very much expect this to be a next-gen successor, not a Switch Pro.

Hard to make that determination considering all of the variables. The chip shortage is an issue and who knows when BOTW2 will be ready. Nintendo always takes their sweet time to release Zelda games. They'll announce it one year and release 3 years later.

I personally don't see BOTW2 coming next year but that's just me so with that said I think the hardware will be delayed to coincide with BOTW2 in Q1 2023.

Because i think literally everything has been delayed by Covid, and because devs need dev kits earlier because of Covid.

So... Covid.

Also chip / component shortages and the continuing great sales of Switch meaning that there's no rush.

Otherwise I'd be team 2022 instead of March 2023.

But note I very much expect this to be a next-gen successor, not a Switch Pro.
I don't think COVID is heavily affecting games that are beginning development in late 2020. It was mostly affecting games that were wrapping up in 2020 and 2021.

As for the chip shortage, there really is no shortage. There is an increase in demand across the board, which is not the same thing as a shortage. PS5 is still selling faster than the PS4. There's no reason to assume Nintendo wouldn't be able to produce and sell a ton of Dane Switches in this current environment.

No. I think they'll want to make use of the massive install base of the Switch to sell 20m+ copies of BotW2. Nintendo is all about making money, after all. But moreover, BotW2 is simply a graphically outdated game. It's not built from the ground up to be a graphical showcase competitive with modern games. Hell, I was disappointed with BotW graphically five years ago. (Disappointed graphically, but not artistically)

Then they can use BotW2 as an example of how Switch 2 improves game resolution and runs them at 4k.

I believe Metroid Prime 4 will be the hardcore game used to sell the Switch 2 at launch. It should be a graphical showcase.

I would counter that it will run on the og switch as well, that the strenth of the BOTW name alone will excite a lot of people to pick a new switch. And also that metroid prime games are not even in the same league as a system seller.

Switch will probably last till 2026-2027 though if whatever is coming is indeed next year.

This is why I don't think 2022 is happening. I think it will be a traditional successor but 2022 is too early.

I hope I'm wrong though, I've been ready to upgrade my Switch for a while. Be it a Pro or a Switch 2.

i wouldnt mind the hardware coming out a bit before BOTW2, will give at least the hardcore audience (us) time to secure their system. I gotta imagine its gonna be another ps5 like shit show getting the Switch 2. Even worse than BOTW2 coming out first, is them coming out together but its impossible to buy.

Not sure Nintendo needs a HUGE day 1 launch title if they can say BOTW2 is a few months out. its gonna sell out.

Fair enough I suppose. In either case the OLED will be worthless soon and a lot of people don't want that.

This is why I don't think 2022 is happening. I think it will be a traditional successor but 2022 is too early.

I hope I'm wrong though, I've been ready to upgrade my Switch for a while. Be it a Pro or a Switch 2.
The issue here is that the available evidence sure seems to suggest a 2022 or even 2021 release was (or still is) in the cards at some point. You don't send out devkits over 2 years before launching something. And if it was indeed planned for 2022 (or 2021) then it was very likely not planned as a traditional successor, which we agree on.

Now, if it is delayed for whatever reason then yeah they can change the name and marketing however they want, but I don't think it'll change the way nintendo's first parties and third parties treat the device.

No, you don't launch a more powerful console gen with a game designed for old gen. A Switch game at 4K it's still a Switch game, not a next gen game.

Switch 2 launch title it's going to be Mario Kart or something like that.

Nope, i don't think they will do it. If covid was not a think Botw2 would be released next month i suppose. And they can easily port it for next gen Switch, it was developed with basic Switch hardware in mind.

Back
Top Bottom