• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console Essential Purchases and Discussion Thread - (Update: Wii U /3DS eShops Officially Closed)

What was your favorite Wii U/3DS Virtual Console Moment?

• Total voters
A sale on a Wii game?? And a third party one?? Weird. Is this part of the big sale going on?
Yep!

Great find @Barely Able! This is one of my favorite Wii games. And just straight up one of my favorite games ever. Sticking with my physical copy but still hoping for a sequel one day.

Of course no sale in europe. So annoying. I would really like to buy some games (that I own physically) as digital version because my WiiU disc drive is really loud

Last edited:
A sale on a Wii game?? And a third party one?? Weird. Is this part of the big sale going on?
Great find @Barely Able! This is one of my favorite Wii games. And just straight up one of my favorite games ever. Sticking with my physical copy but still hoping for a sequel one day.
It’s sort of bizarre this is on sale but none of the virtual console Capcom games. My assumption is, since Wii games aren’t technically VC, it’s easier to put them on sale. Either way, I wish more companies would have fire sales in their 3DS/Wii U games with the closure. Pretty much has been Atlus and Capcom.

Any chance of another atlus sale? I'm toying with picking up one of the Etrian games but would wait for a sale.
Just checked and not right now. If you follow this thread I am pretty good about posting the deals that come along and updating the drop dead dates for things like adding balance and whatnot. I’ll try to remember to @ you if I see them on sale again.

Just checked and not right now. If you follow this thread I am pretty good about posting the deals that come along and updating the drop dead dates for things like adding balance and whatnot. I’ll try to remember to @ you if I see them on sale again.
Thanks, I'll subscribe to keep an eye on things!

I think I’ll grab RE4 and Zack and Wiki at those prices. I actually only played the first area or so of the former, I know it’s one of the goats but never got around on securing a copy. The Switch version might be HD but it doesn’t have gyro, it won’t be on sale at this price until much later and it apparently has some glitches? So Wii version is actually the definitive edition in every way besides graphics?

That being said I got a couple questions

- Is classic controller/gamepad a good way to play RE4 since you can’t use Gamecube controller on Wii U for it? Apparently the motion aiming is gamebreaking because it makes every weapon have the same aim acceleration?

- You can’t use sd cards to store non VC games, I don’t need a whole external hard drive to store my remaining Wii U purchases so I guess I could juste use a USB stick. Is there anything to keep in mind about that, like looking for transfer speeds or whatnot

Sanity check: is there a good reason to own physical copies of both Fire Emblem Fates games when you can just get the DLC for the other scenario + the 3rd one?

That’s what I expected, and I’m assuming the third campaign is version specific so you can’t buy it once for both carts.
Yeah I would think it’s locked to whatever cartridge was in at the time, but not entirely sure. I bet in the system it would be listed as conquest or birthright DLC depending on which you selected.

We should get an English tweet tomorrow, but the very end of March is when the stores shutdown.

I should get around to buying the last 3DS games I wanna try:
  • Link Between Worlds
  • Zero Time Dilemma
  • Radiant Hystoria
There are many others I somewhat wish I could've tried, like the DQ remakes or SMTIV but I guess I can always hope for a modern port. I won't stress my wallet by buying too many games I won't play for a while.

I should get around to buying the last 3DS games I wanna try:
  • Link Between Worlds
  • Zero Time Dilemma
  • Radiant Hystoria
There are many others I somewhat wish I could've tried, like the DQ remakes or SMTIV but I guess I can always hope for a modern port. I won't stress my wallet by buying too many games I won't play for a while.
All great choices. Hopefully the Atlus games all drop below $10 against least once before the closure.

Just when I thought I couldn’t hate the sluggish OS any more, I just copied the XCX data to my new external drive (2 TB which was overkill but it was the cheapest option on Amazon at $60 🤣) which I think was one of the most excruciating progress bars to watch ever. 10 GB over USB 2.

We are so spoiled by the Switch being 100% flash based.

Anyways, gonna back everything else up now.

Just to be sure, the eShop closure should lock any option to buy ingame DLCs right?
I'm thinking of many Thearhythm Curtain Call songs I wish I had, even though buying all of them is way too expensive. It seems we're not getting a proper port of this game on any modern console sadly :(

Get the Wario Land games, everyone. Don't miss the opportunity to play those 4 masterpieces.

This is not a drill! Zack and Wiki is only $5 on Wii U right now! Don’t wait, just get it right now.
Agreed. Zack and Wiki is awesome. At $5, that's a hell of a deal!

i like those ports
Yeah, i dont know if ill ever play them, but i want to own them just because. I also just bought a second new 3ds xl off ebay. Someone was selling a gamestop refurbished galaxy style system, in excellent condition, for 250. I bought it as a back up in case my current system dies.

Just a reminder that there are 3 weeks left to add funds directly to the WiiU/3DS wallet via gift cards (ends August 29). If you have a linked account to your switch wallet, then you can still use the shared funds up to the closure in March. I’ll be posting this every week (and probably in the general thread as a reminder). I assume everyone here has a switch but want to make sure no one gets caught off guard.

Come on Atlus, throw Europe a bone and put a discount on SMTIV:A already!
They will surely be on sale again before the eshop closes, most definitely around the holidays

Though honestly Apocalypse is a very skippable game that doesn’t add much to IV at all. While it’s appealing to get it for cheap for completion’s sake when the physical version exploded in price, I think that game is probably the worst out of the poorly regarded non-mainline JRPG sequels out there so you wouldn’t be missing out on much

Completely missed this since NOA didn’t tweet. I’ll just assume it’s for all regions:

Fire emblem dates is delisting in February, so you won’t be able to get it up to the end of the shop closures. Strangely (and probably because purchasing is housed inside the game rather than the eshop), the DLC will still be available until March 2023 closure date.

Completely missed this since NOA didn’t tweet. I’ll just assume it’s for all regions:

Fire emblem dates is delisting in February, so you won’t be able to get it up to the end of the shop closures. Strangely (and probably because purchasing is housed inside the game rather than the eshop), the DLC will still be available until March 2023 closure date.
Yea, that's all regions IIRC.

Wii and 3DS handling of DLC was both cool and highly frustrating because it's all in-game which means the menu is gated behind progression for reasons. Plus the connection to the eShop to get the listing of everything available is slow as molasses. Thank you to the EU for ruling against this practice for other reasons because I doubt Nintendo would've moved away from it starting with the Wii U.

Yea, that's all regions IIRC.

Wii and 3DS handling of DLC was both cool and highly frustrating because it's all in-game which means the menu is gated behind progression for reasons. Plus the connection to the eShop to get the listing of everything available is slow as molasses. Thank you to the EU for ruling against this practice for other reasons because I doubt Nintendo would've moved away from it starting with the Wii U.
Which to me is hilarious when you consider patches are required to go through the eShop. It was such an odd design. Though IIRC patches on the 3DS were very much an after thought, they had an excuse to not patch Mario Kart 7 shortcuts.

As a head's up, in case someone's still looking to get the second Ace Attorney trilogy (Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies, and Spirit of Justice) before they remove the ability to add gift card funds anymore, the games are currently on sale at 75%-83% off on the American eshop at least (I don't know about the other ones).

Welp I wanted to buy Zero Time Dilemma on 3DS but it appears it got delisted at some point.

A shame.

Welp, there goes any chance of me playing that game... unless they port it to Switch.
I'm kinda surprised they haven't put a Switch version for the whole trilogy up yet. They've been on Steam since 2016/2017:

EDIT: On the other hand, the Danganronpa games were just ported last or earlier this year right? There's probably some hope for a Switch version.

Last edited:
Just a reminder that there are 3 weeks left to add funds directly to the WiiU/3DS wallet via gift cards (ends August 29). If you have a linked account to your switch wallet, then you can still use the shared funds up to the closure in March. I’ll be posting this every week (and probably in the general thread as a reminder). I assume everyone here has a switch but want to make sure no one gets caught off guard.
One week left before you can’t add gift card balance directly to Wii U and 3DS eshops. Link your Nintendo account and NNID if you want to use your shared switch wallet.

One week left before you can’t add gift card balance directly to Wii U and 3DS eshops. Link your Nintendo account and NNID if you want to use your shared switch wallet.
Thanks for the reminder. I have pretty much every 3ds eshop game i want, but ill double check for stragglers when i get homr

Thanks for the reminder. I have pretty much every 3ds eshop game i want, but ill double check for stragglers when i get homr
Yeah. I am sort of in a holding pattern for GB NSO on some things. Need to get professor Layton/Phoenix Wright, FE Fates Revelation, and the ace attorney DLC cases (hoping a rerelease of those comes to switch soon). Also interested in fantasy life and maybe Yokai watch 3. Problem is I don’t have a lot of space left so need to clear out some games (basically beat all the Atlus games I have and that would save half a full SD card). Wii U will probably be DS games I missed, some Wii games, and that’s about it. Most of the titles i don’t have made their way to modern platforms.

@jnWake Not sure if this helps your situation but ZTD is coming to XBox this week

Reminder: tomorrow is the last day to add credit to your WiiU or 3DS directly via gift card. If you linked wallets with the switch Nintendo account, you will still be able to use that up until March. I would link if you haven’t to be safe because no clue if you can link them after tomorrow (I assume so).

@jnWake Not sure if this helps your situation but ZTD is coming to XBox this week

Thanks but sadly not, only own a Switch and a 3DS :( .

Playing some Kung Fu Rabbit on Wii U today and might get some time in at Nintendo Land also. Did Kung Fu Rabbit ever make it to Switch? It's an engaging and charming platformer with a good difficulty curve. It was one of the first Wii U eShop games.

The first post of this thread mentions that Nintendo hasn't listed an exact first date that you won't be able to make purchases on the eShop except that it is March 2023.

While that was true initially, Nintendo has now listed the exact date to be March 27, 2023.

The first post of this thread mentions that Nintendo hasn't listed an exact first date that you won't be able to make purchases on the eShop except that it is March 2023.

While that was true initially, Nintendo has now listed the exact date to be March 27, 2023.
Thanks. Let me update it. I know I’ve added it plenty of times but probably good idea to update the OP

nis america is doing a massive sale on the few 3ds games they've published.
the only one missing is rodea the sky soldier, which was delisted in 2020. (and you'd be better off getting a physical copy of it anyways, as the best version is the original wii version.)
I wish they would have done this before the deadline to add funds. I wanted to play Culdcept Revolt, but I just barely have enough left to buy the Ace Attorney 6 DLC case. Oh well, I guess my backlog is deep enough as-is.

Back
Top Bottom