• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console Essential Purchases and Discussion Thread - (Update: Wii U /3DS eShops Officially Closed)

What was your favorite Wii U/3DS Virtual Console Moment?

• Total voters
The 3DS sale in Europe is non-existing. I bought some GB and SNES games (Donkey Kong 94, Dracula X) and some free 3DS titles (Kid Tripp, the Pokémon S/M demo to get an Ash-Greninja) but that's it.

It really is going out with a whimper, huh.

Thanks, nah, it was like some weird issue where the discs themselves were faulty. Maybe I'm thinking of another game. But I have my Trauma Team disc deep within the semi-broken drawer under my TV stand so I can just test it when I will intertia into movement. XD
You might be thinking of Persona Q which had a bad batch of cartridges at launch

Today is Pi Day, the day we celebrate the mathematically significant never-ending number.
Do you know what else is never-ending? My desire to purchase SMT4A for a discounted price.

Atlus please

You might be thinking of Persona Q which had a bad batch of cartridges at launch
it's an issue with multiple 3DS games IIRC, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have also been noted to suffer from rot.
i also remember hearing reports that Wii U games can degrade as well, with miniature pin-sized holes rendering the game unplayable.
8i543ovsntx51.jpg

this gen seems to have been badly cursed for Nintendo.

I think I'm going to make my final purchases on my 3DS and Wii U, need to finish going through each eshop for what I forgot to get years ago.

I already bought some games and added everything that interests me at least a bit to my wish list. If I would buy everything on that list it would cost me above 200€. Hard decisions to make

I really hope we see a Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails port for Switch. That was such a cool experience on Wii U, and really one of the most unique asymmetric experiences with spectator mode showing something different on the screen (plus tips to share with the player), as the player gets the fine-grained platforming shmup action on the GamePad. And oddly, when Kirby and the Rainbow Curse had the same setup, it bothered me a bit because I wanted to look at the amazing HD graphics as I played. But with the very pleasing graphics of Scram Kitty, the graphics don't look that much better in HD so I didn't mind at all not looking at the TV screen.

This is my 3DS haul after a shopping spree. Please be aware that I know next to nothing about lots of these games so let me know how I did:

Phoenix Wright®: Ace Attorney® Trilogy
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
SUPER STREET FIGHTER® IV 3D EDITION
Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter™ 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Generations™
Resident Evil®: The Mercenaries 3D
Resident Evil® Revelations
KAROUS - THE BEAST OF RE:EDEN
The Legend of Dark Witch 3 Wisdom and Lunacy

What other games currently on sale should i get? Please keep in mind that I already have the other Phoenix Wright games (Spirit of Justice and Dual Destinies)

This is my 3DS haul after a shopping spree. Please be aware that I know next to nothing about lots of these games so let me know how I did:

Phoenix Wright®: Ace Attorney® Trilogy
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
SUPER STREET FIGHTER® IV 3D EDITION
Monster Hunter™ 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter™ 4 Ultimate
Monster Hunter Generations™
Resident Evil®: The Mercenaries 3D
Resident Evil® Revelations
KAROUS - THE BEAST OF RE:EDEN
The Legend of Dark Witch 3 Wisdom and Lunacy

What other games currently on sale should i get? Please keep in mind that I already have the other Phoenix Wright games (Spirit of Justice and Dual Destinies)
If you don't have Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and the Steamworld games, they are easy pickups with how cheap they are.

Shovel Knight for $5? For sure a double dip is in order to try it on 3DS and give Plague Knight another shot. I loved all the other campaigns, though.

If you don't have Shovel Knight Treasure Trove and the Steamworld games, they are easy pickups with how cheap they are.

Many thanks, as a matter of fact own Shovel Knight in 3DS (my first digital buy for that system ever) actually i own it in XBOX and PS4 too. Steamworld games I own them in other consoles as well.

Hopefully we will have more sales in the next few days.

If Level-5 does a last minute sale you all can thank me for picking up 6 of the Guild series games. I opted to pass on Bugs vs. Tanks because it wasn't well reviewed and frankly the theming hasn't aged well nearly a decade later.

If Level-5 does a last minute sale you all can thank me for picking up 6 of the Guild series games. I opted to pass on Bugs vs. Tanks because it wasn't well reviewed and frankly the theming hasn't aged well nearly a decade later.
Only problem is all the games that had physical releases were published by Nintendo in the west. Not getting a sale on those unfortunately. I might be inclined to get Yokai Watch 3 but we will see. Don’t have much experience with that series

I might get at least the Attack of the Friday Monsters because I saw it's from the same designer as Boku no Natsuyasumi which I know about because of Tim Rogers' 6 hour review of it, I only watched the first hour or so tbh xD but seemed interesting

Some others from the Guild collection caught my attention like the Suda51 title and a sci-fi (horror-ish?) game but I want to read more about them

And yeah the Bugs vs Tanks description in Wikipedia is wild, this probably never was a good idea

@undefined I've also been interested in Boku no Natsuyasumi too, and Attack of the Friday Monsters is very charming with what seems like a similar vibe. It's short and sweet, definitely worth your time and Nintendo Points.

Hey so I can't add funds to my 3DS with my credit card. What are my options exactly?
You need to link your NNID (the Wii U and 3DS account system) with your Nintendo Account (the switch and webpage account system). Then funds for the NA account wallet can be used on the 3DS. So say you added money to the switch, you could use it on 3DS. The actusl 3DS native ability was closed last year. Link is below on how to do it. You can also buy 3DS games with a credit card form the Nintendo webpage. This is US, but assume other regions have directions.

You need to link your NNID (the Wii U and 3DS account system) with your Nintendo Account (the switch and webpage account system). Then funds for the NA account wallet can be used on the 3DS. So say you added money to the switch, you could use it on 3DS. The actusl 3DS native ability was closed last year. Link is below on how to do it. You can also buy 3DS games with a credit card form the Nintendo webpage. This is US, but assume other regions have directions.

Done and Done! Downloading old games now! Thank you!

Just when NIS has put some Atlus games on sale for 3,99€ in the 3DS EU shop 🙃
Lol. What’s funny too is Sega forever Twitter put out a tweet saying to remember to get the 3D classics collection. So obviously they know it’s shutting down. Guess the money people don’t think a sale is worth it there

I am once again asking Atlus

hope nobody is waiting for anymore sales. this is it. nobody is gonna come into the door with a sale for the last handful of days.

Sometimes Sega puts on sales on random days other than the usual Thursday. I doubt that publishers will put on new sales on the Thursday of next week but I could see them putting a sale on next Monday since it would be one week left

Honestly if you missed games from the last Atlus sale it’s not the end of the world, especially if it’s SMTIVA which is honestly not good and pretty unnecessary. They are remastering EO of all things on Switch so I could see them porting both SMTIV games by the time your backlog clears so I couldn’t recommend to drop full price on some of these

Just when NIS has put some Atlus games on sale for 3,99€ in the 3DS EU shop 🙃
specifically:

Soul Hackers
EO Untold
EO Untold 2
EO IV
Persona Q
Devil Survivor Overclocked 2
Stella Glow

for anyone who still doesn't know: the other Atlus games are spread across several publisher in EU which famously either barely exist anymore or just don't care (Ghostlight, Deep Silver)

oh and the KORG apps are also on sale for half off!
DSN-12 and M01D

Has anyone played Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure? Its only $2 so I might pick it up.

From what I've played it's a fun little 3D platformer, though it obviously ran worse than the PC version so your mileage may wary.

For $2 you certainly could do worse.

specifically:

Soul Hackers
EO Untold
EO Untold 2
EO IV
Persona Q
Devil Survivor Overclocked 2
Stella Glow

for anyone who still doesn't know: the other Atlus games are spread across several publisher in EU which famously either barely exist anymore or just don't care (Ghostlight, Deep Silver)

oh and the KORG apps are also on sale for half off!
DSN-12 and M01D
I can't believe SMTIVA is just going down without a sale or anything whatsoever... Seriously, what a mess :(

Fired up Culdcept Revolt last night hoping there would be a DLC shop open from the title menu. Nope. Interesting game design though, so I'm not opposed to playing the tutorials and dipping my toe in. But.... there's 10 days to go, I ain't got time for that!

Seriously glad this whole design practice of burying the DLC menu within in the game died with the 3DS.

Picked up possibly my last two Wii U purchases, Air Zonk and DK: King of Swing. I can't believe it was just 2019 I was doing the same with the Wii Shop.

I got a bunch of games across both platforms today. Stuff like NES remix 2, Box boy series, monster Hunter, Ace attorney, Pokémon crystal, Pushmo sequels. But now that I spent some the eshop credit I got from I’m trying to find the proper balance between buying things because they’re on sale and the shop is closing with will I actually get around to playing them.

Like I got monster Hunter 4&3 to play bc I’ve always been interested but didn’t want to pay full price but for $3 it was easy and now I’m considering if I should get Generations too because I’m pretty sure the playstyle is a little different so maybe that will mesh more with me. Or like do I get resident evil revelations bc it’s on sale when there’s the better(?) version on switch. And then I forgot about the Dragon Quest ports too which are expensively physically or do I just buy them for PlayStation 2 (I see some relatively inexpensive online and have my PS2 still)

Do I get shovel knight for the 3ds/WiiU? Do I get the Shantae games? Like I had passing interest in them but never got them, so now am I just interested because there’s a sale and my mind has tied them to this duo of consoles? I don’t know!!

Blah! Too many choices to be made with the deadline quickly approaching

I got a bunch of games across both platforms today. Stuff like NES remix 2, Box boy series, monster Hunter, Ace attorney, Pokémon crystal, Pushmo sequels. But now that I spent some the eshop credit I got from I’m trying to find the proper balance between buying things because they’re on sale and the shop is closing with will I actually get around to playing them.

Like I got monster Hunter 4&3 to play bc I’ve always been interested but didn’t want to pay full price but for $3 it was easy and now I’m considering if I should get Generations too because I’m pretty sure the playstyle is a little different so maybe that will mesh more with me. Or like do I get resident evil revelations bc it’s on sale when there’s the better(?) version on switch. And then I forgot about the Dragon Quest ports too which are expensively physically or do I just buy them for PlayStation 2 (I see some relatively inexpensive online and have my PS2 still)

Do I get shovel knight for the 3ds/WiiU? Do I get the Shantae games? Like I had passing interest in them but never got them, so now am I just interested because there’s a sale and my mind has tied them to this duo of consoles? I don’t know!!

if its already available on switch or on other consoles i wouldnt bother tbh. mh generations in particular is unnecessary with mh generations ultimate on switch which goes on sale every other week. the dq ports probably since nintendo seems to have them locked down and square doesnt look like they will port them to anything anytime soon.

there's no reason to buy any Shantae game on 3DS or Wii U since they didn't have anything unique really. there's more reason to grab the Shovel Knights on either for map, streetpass stuff maybe if you care about unique stuff. Otherwise just ...why bother when newer versions exist?

So I still have 7 euros on my 3ds account as a leftover from buying Samus Returns and looking through the eshop before it closes down I'm thinking of picking up either Pushmo or Pocket Card Jockey. Any recommendations on which one to buy? Or something else entirely?

So I still have 7 euros on my 3ds account as a leftover from buying Samus Returns and looking through the eshop before it closes down I'm thinking of picking up either Pushmo or Pocket Card Jockey. Any recommendations on which one to buy? Or something else entirely?

They're both good choices but Pushmo will probably never leave the 3ds / Wii U Stores while pocket card jockey recently got a phone port/remake, and may well show up again later. If recommend pushmo.

Pushmo since pocket card jockey is recently on iOS and could potentially come over to switch. My thought at least. PCJ is more fun (both are good though)

One more for Pushmo. In addition to the point about PCJ being ported, Pushmo is remarkable, delightful and packed with handcrafted content that will be unlikely to show up in a new entry if we get one on Switch. Just like with BoxBoy! we'd probably get a game with new puzzles.

Back
Top Bottom