• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Why is no one talking Tetris (movie)?

Good conversation piece

Here I'll continue said conversation.

I won't watch it as I've seen many docs on Tetris and dont need to see another, also it's on one of the worst streaming platforms, and I refuse to support Apple in any way.

Because it is locked behind a service few people use (compared to other more mainstream platforms)

Who wants to see a movie of blocks falling down while someone sort them out to fit each other? i will have a better time watching fucking Westworld

I just don't feel like trying to figure out if I can do a trial of Apple TV, asking any friends/family that do have it, or by other means.

I'll get to it someday.

It was fun and interesting to learn about the legal loopholes and the Nintendo involvement
But there's def some over-the-top elements shoehorned in 😅 also as the story is about the licensing disputes it ended up more focused on the business people dunno (tbf there’s also some parts about the creator’s situation, and about the original design)
Light recommendation!
(Btw I used the 7-day trial 😅)

Last edited:
I got apple+ just to watch it, I enjoyed it and loved seeing some of the Nintendo personal like Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln, the actor they got for Hiroshi Yamauchi was on point, I swear it’s like they invented a time machine and brought him forward in time. It was a bit of a dramatic retelling of the events that took place, but I did enjoy it.

Apple TV+ is pretty niche compared to other streaming services but they've got some absolute bangers lined up with Napoleon and Killers of the Flower Moon later this year.

I still need to subscribe to I can watch The Tragedy of Macbeth.

Being locked behind a certain platform that isn't a mainstream one is the big one.

Also the Mario movie is right around the corner so more people are interested in that.

I’m interested in both this and Ted Lasso, but it’s not enough for me to shell out for yet another subscription.

Because this is more faithful and to the point without all the unnecessary extra drama.

Sincerely, thank you for this. I was looking for this video haha,

Any movie based on real life events have unnecessary extra drama. It is what makes them entertaining, at least for me.

I can understand that, but it's a big turn off for me when talking about real events.

It's why I hate shows like Drive to Survive. They get to the point of twisting the reality and that's not what I am looking for in this type of product.

Btw if people have never used Apple TV before and have a ps4/5 you get a 6 month free trial just for logging in on your PlayStation

I can understand that, but it's a big turn off for me when talking about real events.

It's why I hate shows like Drive to Survive. They get to the point of twisting the reality and that's not what I am looking for in this type of product.
I mean that's totally fine. Though I think it was already clear from the trailers that it will not be that realistic.

I'm sure i'm going to watch it when it hits anything else but AppleTV. I have a life-vow of not giving Apple any money, nor my data through a free trial.

Planning on watching it this weekend.

I also find the posts here about not wanting to give Apple money weird lol. Apple TV+ has a lot of great shows and movies, it’s worth subbing even just for one month.

It’s on Apple TV+. The only thing I know people watch on there is Ted Lasso and even then I don’t know any actual person who watched it.

It's a good movie, but it's stuck on Apple TV+; a service that nobody subscribes to.

I used my 7 day free trial to watch it and cancelled almost immediately afterwards.

If you're gonna get a free trial, I beg of you, watch The After Party. It's a fantastic murder mystery show trapped on Apple TV+. Do it for Ben Schwartz.

I just watched it. The characters don't really go far beyond your typical stereotypes (good-natured family man, scum bag corporate boss, evil authoritarian agent, etc.) and there are definitely over the top elements in it. But the performances are good, it's well paced and has a nice soundtrack. It's not going to win the Oscar for Best Picture or anything like that but it's entertaining. I enjoyed it.

I'd like to have a physical copy of the film but I'm not holding my breath for Apple to release it on Blu-Ray/4K. Maybe they can work with Limited Run for a physical release lol.

The scene where Henk Rogers is shown the Game Boy. He asks what language the games are coded in and a few keystrokes later he's got Tetris running on it. I think it's supposed to be just a crude prototype, but they used the actual game on screen so it looks like Rogers made the famous Game Boy version of Tetris all by himself in ten seconds! Come on Nintendo, if he can make a whole Game Boy game in an instant, surely Wind Waker HD can be ported to Switch in like 20 minutes. Get it done Aonuma!

i made a review of sorts on The Roost's trailer thread, but it looks like no one noticed. :/
i honestly think it would have been far better if they openly embraced it as a parody that clearly didn't happen similar to the Weird Al "biopic". because it makes some of the absurd errors (the constant shifting between the various Tetris ports like they're all the same, giving Howard Lincoln multiple F-bombs in contrast to his kinder persona in the "Howard & Nester" comics, describing "Zelda & Link" while showing 2 Links taken from four swords.) function like comedic beats rather than an obvious mistake.

on the other hand, there's a few details i was genuinely surprised they recognized and correctly brought up. like SEGA getting the Japanese arcade rights (which really deserves it own movie, their version was highly influtential in that region.) and Nintendo having a harsh dislike of Atari for failing to initally bring the Famicom over and eventually unofficially making NES cartridges, though only the latter is shown in the film.

one other detail i can add, the potrayal of Henk Rogers as a "cool programmer" type is a bit jarring considering that he eventually solely focused on managing the business side of Tetris. the last game he was credited as designing was Tetris Worlds in 2001, and i can't imagine he did much there.
not to mention his rough management of requiring every Tetris game to fit some particularly strict guidelines (most notoriously, he really didn't like Tetris Attack because it was drastically different, and only had the name in the west for marketing purposes) that lead to more unique installments like The Grand Master series to get killed off, though i think that's been pared back a bit ever since his daughter took over the company.

Alexey fared a bit better, with him creating more original puzzle games as late as 2013. (one of them, Hexic. rather fittingly ended up becoming a pack-in title for the Xbox 360.)

I watched it. Quite sensationalized version of the Tetris story as told by Gaming Historian, with some fictional characters added for drama and a goddamn car chase scene for good measure. At least my parents felt intruiged enough to research the actual facts on their own, so mission accomplished I guess?

I think the movie has its purpose.

Edit: If you have AppleTV+, I suggest to also watch WolfWalkers.

Back
Top Bottom