• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Why do you feel Nintendo (strategically) decided to release TOTK on the current Switch and what do you think their future plans will be with the game?

Now that the game is in the wild, I can 100% see them re-packaging this as a DX version near Switch 2’s launch with a Create mode and online multiplayer, in addition to enhanced performance, resolution, plus whatever DLC they have lined up for the next year.

The building feature is such a significant component of the game and providing a story-less version that people can play with friends guarantees TOTK legs (further) into the future.

That would be neat, but I can see a Bowser's Fury level of DLC added too.

The thing is Switch 2 not having a new Zelda game until like year 3/4 of its product cycle is a significant disadvantage for it.

They're probably better off taking this game and quickly moving out an extra side-story DLC + the types of modes you're talking about there could be a neat addition.

If that would sell some Switch 2's ... I mean maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Not having a new Zelda for the Switch 2 probably for the first 3 years isn't a great situation for Nintendo given how big of a system seller and iconic system defining thing BOTW/ToTK have been for the Switch.

So if you can't have that, maybe it makes sense if the you split the Zelda team in 2, half starts planning work on the next Zelda for Switch 2, but the other half maybe works on an expansion for Tears of the Kingdom.
A rerelease of a Switch game is not gonna move a ton of Switch 2 units. Zelda isn't the only system seller for Nintendo either.

A rerelease of a Switch game is not gonna move a ton of Switch 2 units. Zelda isn't the only system seller for Nintendo either.

Certainly not the only system but it is a big part of Nintendo's A-game staple now that can't really be replaced that easily either ... like even Mario doesn't necessarily hit the same demographics a Zelda can.

Strategically, I think it's because the Switch 2 is at least a year out and the game was ready now.
To be fair Nintendo has a history of sitting on games so they can fit them into specific release windows. But you're right in that the Switch 2 isn't coming in this FY and they've seen console sales starting to slow, so this seems like one last breath which should give them enough legs(on top of whatever Q4 surprises we have) to get them over the finish line without limping towards it.

Certainly not the only system but it is a big part of Nintendo's A-game staple now that can't really be replaced that easily either ... like even Mario doesn't necessarily hit the same demographics a Zelda can.
And they’d rather see a return on investment for the hundreds of millions of Switch owners right now than sit on finished software for a year to sell a new console. It’s not like Switch 2 is gonna launch with some niche game, they will certainly have a flagship title ready to go.

To be fair Nintendo has a history of sitting on games so they can fit them into specific release windows. But you're right in that the Switch 2 isn't coming in this FY and they've seen console sales starting to slow, so this seems like one last breath which should give them enough legs(on top of whatever Q4 surprises we have) to get them over the finish line without limping towards it.
They do sit on a lot of games but they rarely ever sit on a new Zelda with how costly those projects are and how frequently they’re delayed.

They do sit on a lot of games but they rarely ever sit on a new Zelda with how costly those projects are and how frequently they’re delayed.
They literally had a patch to bump the performance during the review period. This game released at the first possible date it could.

And they’d rather see a return on investment for the hundreds of millions of Switch owners right now than sit on finished software for a year to sell a new console. It’s not like Switch 2 is gonna launch with some niche game, they will certainly have a flagship title ready to go.

It will need more than just one flagship title.

It will probably need several in to build good momentum.

Mario Kart Next (day 1 launch)
Zelda: TotK Special Edition + New Story DLC
Metroid Prime 4
New 3D Mario (November game)

That sorta of thing I think.

It will need more than just one flagship title.

It will probably need several in to build good momentum.

Mario Kart Next (day 1 launch)
Zelda: TotK Special Edition + New Story DLC
Metroid Prime 4
New 3D Mario (November game)

That sorta of thing I think.
I’m not talking about launch year, I’m saying launch day. Obviously they will have more games throughout the year. I do think 3D Mario is the most likely candidate for a launch day game though.

I’m not talking about launch year, I’m saying launch day. Obviously they will have more games throughout the year. I do think 3D Mario is the most likely candidate for a launch day game though.

I think it's Mario Kart. Mario Kart is actually Nintendo's biggest franchise, don't even think it's even a question anymore, and Mario Kart you can release with fewer tracks and have DLC tracks constantly added and they will want that for NSO subscriptions (get people locked in and subscribing to get their Mario Kart track fix).

Let's just say that the last few times Nintendo systems had a Zelda game at launch, it was rather beneficial to them (Wii and Switch); whereas a Zelda title would certainly have done well at the launch of the Gamecube or Wii U. That said, it's true that there are alternatives, whether it's 3D Mario (it's also going to be EPD Tokyo's challenge to be able to compete with what Zelda has become in terms of hype) or Mario Kart are highly anticipated licenses too.

3D Mario hasn't been a launch title since Super Mario 64 and in 2024, MK8 will be 10 years old. In both cases, it's huge and there are ways to make them very effective console sellers. There are also other major licenses for the beginning of the next machine's life cycle (Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Mario Party).

Nevertheless, if for example the Switch 2 was released say 1 year after Totk, I couldn't help but find this management a bit damaging. Especially knowing that the release date chosen for Totk would have been perfectly adapted to a 2D Mario concomitant to the movie.

Zelda + MK did basically launch the Switch. It was the 1,2 punch that got the system rolling on a really good foot (sorry 1,2 Switch).

Only in that case, Zelda BOTW was a "new" game and MK8 was a port.

So I could see that done in reverse next time out.

New Mario Kart + Zelda port (TotK) w/new content.

I wonder if there will be a free upgrade to Switch 2 version, a $10ish fee for the upgrade, or a completely new full price SKU we'd have to buy.
This will depend entirely on what their internal figures find out that gives them more money. The three approaches have their pros and cons honestly.

As soon as the decision was made to release ToTK at least a year prior to the launch of their next generation hardware, on the huge active installbase of the Switch, they left behind the strategic choice of positioning the game as a future system seller. Both past cross-gen Zelda game launches had the benefit of coming off of unsuccessful hardware with low install bases while TotK is likely to reach 25 million sold before the launch of their next hardware.

I also think you're overestimating how many people would buy new hardware purely to double dip or to play a better looking Totk than the one they can already experience on their switch. That's not to say they won't position a shinier, better running version of the game to add general value to the future library of their next hardware, but they are likely going to position some exclusive big IP titles (like a new 3D Mario) as the main selling point for new hardware out of the gate.

It was genuinely a 2022 game, and if the successor doesn’t actually hit until 2024 that’s 2+ years to hold onto the title. I’m guessing at this stage that they just have other plans for launch, and Zelda is helping them extend the life of the current Switch (something they repeatedly said they wanted to do).

With any luck they’ll update the game for new hardware in some way, and market it alongside other launch offerings. The game deserves a soft relaunch on the next system - it’s just that good.

Also the premise of the thread is sort of flawed from the get go. We don't know when the Switch successor is releasing, we know TotK took longer than expected because COVID, and they have two similar games under their belt already. We do know they decided to launch TotK now, though.

For all we know they can in fact have a new Zelda game ready for the Successor launch, because the combination of it being farther away than we expect, and them being more experienced, can make it happen.

This is a great question because I've been wondering what they're going to ship the new Switch with and I honestly don't know the answer.

Perhaps a Mario game then.

switch install base: like 130 million people
switch 2 install base: imaginary

holy shit i think i figured it out

If they're smart, they'll release DLC exclusively on Switch 2.
They will never do that, Wii U also got a Champions Ballad. They will never sell a DLC exclusively to new console, especially when they would miss a 120m+ install base and like 30m+ copies sold on Switch alone.

I mean Zelda has had a trend to release on current and next gen consoles with Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just releasing the game now so they have their big release and don't keep fans waiting. They probably didn't predict Covid when working on this game and developing their next console. I'm sure the factors from the pandemic had them change plans somewhat.

I still think the game is going to be on Nintendo's next hardware.

I'd imagine it was meant to be a showpiece for the rumored pro hardware that was cancelled likely due to chip shortages and inflation. They aren't gonna sit on a completed game this big (I predict they already sat on it for 6+ months) until new hardware is ready for another 1+ year(s).

i see people keep bringing that TOTK needs to be 1080p and 60fps. I dont think Nintendo is going to give players the choice to choose performance and resolution modes. That has always been PC market thing. its just last gen mid gen refresh when it stated happening. Nintendo is NEVER going to release Mario Kart 9 and give players the choice to be 1440p 30fps. its always going to be 1440p 60fps. if the Next system is capable of those resolution. Nintendo is not going after those and we have always known this.

I mean Zelda has had a trend to release on current and next gen consoles with Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just releasing the game now so they have their big release and don't keep fans waiting. They probably didn't predict Covid when working on this game and developing their next console. I'm sure the factors from the pandemic had them change plans somewhat.

only cos those systems failed to sell thats why.

Several possible reasons -

I think the game was probably planned to release a year or so earlier before COVID happened.

It’s possible the original release window would have tied into a cancelled Switch Pro.

The game was finished but the new next gen hardware was still 12-18 months off. Not even Nintendo can sit on Zelda when they have a huge audience of 120m Switch owners waiting for the game.

They might think they can sell to 120m Switch owners and then resell the game with better graphics and frame rate on Switch 2.

The GC was a bomb and TP took so long and the Wii was close enough to the GC that it was an "easy" port and hold the game back for a cross gen launch.

The WiiU was a bomb, and BotW took so long and the Switch was close enough to the WiiU that it was an "easy" port and hold the game back for a cross gen launch.

Switch was a mega hit, and Switch 2 should be a significant power bump over the Switch. TotK is launching anywhere from 12-24 months from the Switch 2's launch date. Switch 2 will need "new" games to sell people on it, not slightly improved versions of 1-2 year old games.

I think the first Zelda we see on Switch 2 won't be some kind of remaster of TotK or BotW, I think it'll be some kind of remake that shows off what a classic game can look like with all the power the Switch 2 has.

The game sold 10m copies in three days and the new hardware wasn't ready yet, so clearly they made the right decision.

I'm sure it will be patched for the Switch 2.

For me personally it's better like this. If it was simultaneously released on Switch Drake I'd have felt a lot of FOMO to play the superior version of the game. I can't afford a new console right now.

Maybe they feel the launch lineup they are working on for their next console is strong enough to not need Tears. Plus they might not want a game of that caliber eating into potential sales of perhaps new IPs launching alongside the new console.

I agree. I think we will get a TOTK SWITCH 2 Master edition of sorts. Comes with new DLC expansion, an online multiplayer component and updated visuals. They can easily sell another 15million+ copies of the Switch 2 version doing this. It worked for GTA V and I think Nintendo can get it to work with Zelda.

Switch 2 does not need a Zelda game to he successful, and also it will probably get a Deluxe release with the DLCs on switxh 2

The real questiin is if they will have Zelda stuff on the first year of Switch 2, Zelda 2D can be a pretty good bet for the first Zelda software on the new console

I believe, initially, TOTK was aiming for late 2021. Well BOTW sequel is the kind of thing Nintendo is willing to announce early, 4 years I doubt. A mix of COVID and maybe Ultra Hand scope creep lead to this. Because 2021 was not even 4 years of Switch, the game was never ever meant for next hardware, and their plans for next hardware, unlike BOTW1 and Wii U, were a ways off.

Well, the reason why they launched it for Switch is quite obviously the huge install base.

However, I fully expect the game to also find its way to Switch 2 in the form of a Deluxe version that includes all DLCs. I would also not be surprised that Switch 2 launches the same day the last DLC drops.
Not only would Nintendo make bank again, where they would already outsell the likes of Metroid and Kirby if only 10-20% of TotK owners would double dip, but they would also ensure that there is a “current” Zelda title for the duration of Switch 2. Considering that their big sellers keep on selling year after year and the next Zelda is probably another six years out, that seems quite crucial to me.

This game was very likely originally intended to come out no latter than late 2021. Not delaying a game that's already 1.5 years later than planned another 1.5 years just so that a version of it can run at 60fps isn't "strategic."

Not releasing a mainline Zelda game for nearly 8 years would be insane.

This game was very likely originally intended to come out no latter than late 2021. Not delaying a game that's already 1.5 years later than planned another 1.5 years just so that a version of it can run at 60fps isn't "strategic."

Not releasing a mainline Zelda game for nearly 8 years would be insane.
I wonder how that impacted other Zelda porjects, because I have the feeling that either remasters or even 2D Zelda where probably thinked for Switch end life

Because Monolith Soft's action game is the next Zelda.
I know it's a bit off topic, but I'd love for that to happen. Monolith has a way better track record than Zelda's EPD group in regards to delays for games. Like when Monolith announces a game, you know it'll come out when they say it does, or even sooner! With Zelda it's like yeah it'll come out in the near future, okay maybe this year, no this year instead.

The comparison with Wii U ports that got added content doesn't jive with me, but I do think it's unusual that they have yet to announce DLC for it and "it relates to an unannounced successor" would at least explain that.
TLOU was an enhanced on the PS4 though. It doesn't feel very Nintendo to merely bump up the resolution and frames and call it a day though.
It's a different day where this seems easier to pull off than any previous Nintendo hardware transition.

The game started development in 2017, the very first year of the Switch. Of course it would target Switch, and they didn't even target 2023(we know of 2022, I doubt before COVID it was planned for 2021).

Games that started development during the period of 2017-2019 were all targeting current Switch. And, with how development times have extended, they end up releasing 2020-2024.

We had Monster Hunter Rise starting development by 2016 and releasing in 2021, Metroid Dread starting in 2017 and releasing in 2021, Splatoon 3 and Xenoblade 3 starting around 2018 and releasing in 2022, we'll have Metroid Prime 4 that started in 2016, restarted by 2018 and will release by 2023 or 2024, Pikmin 4 probably rebooted in 2019 and releasing in 2023.

They probably never wanted to release a successor as early as people think(and Zelda would probably release about a year before that anyways), and they just wouldn't hold their most anticipated game ever until the next console comes. When that one comes, it's sure to have a killer lineup too, as 3D Mario, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart will all be long overdue for a sequel.

I believe they'll release a next gen patch, and hey, if Drake ends up releasing spring 2024, it might get the story expansion of TotK as a launch window title too, but they don't really have a reason to repack, create new content and sell again when they can just keep selling the original version at 70$ with DLC separately.

Back
Top Bottom