• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Who's the developer of the Super Mario RPG remake?

Who's the main developer of Super Mario RPG?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the screen transition kind of looks similar to the screen transitions used in the last 2 kirby games

Crazy to me how we don't know who makes these games until, sometimes, the credits.

Videogames are weird, let me tell you.

Square Enix's internal groups are dedicated to mainline Final Fantasy, mainline Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, and maybe Nier now. All other projects are produced by SE but not developed in-house, such as the Team Asano games.

The UI makes me think NDCube, but the Camelot Mario sports games on switch also have a similar UI; they have RPG experience and seem to be missing since Mario Golf...

Bumping the thread just to say... We all got it wrong!! The developer is ArtPiazza!!
I'm kinda happy for it tho, since it's Nintendo partnering up with someone new and clearly very talented since they made CG-i in the level that Square makes, made some super cool screen space effects and dynamic stuff(like the SSR and shadows in that scene with the reflective floor), some high poly models and great texture work, all being faithful to the original.
Hopefully they work on more stuff with Nintendo like new remakes, or even better, Nintendo produces an RPG 2 with Square also supervising while they make the game.

Last edited:
Bumping the thread just to say... We all got it wrong!!
I'm kinda happy for it tho, since it's Nintendo partnering up with someone new and clearly very talented since they made CG-i in the level that Square makes, made some super cool screen space effects and dynamic stuff(like the SSR and shadows in that scene with the reflective floor), some high poly models and great texture work, all being faithful to the original.
Hopefully they work on more stuff with Nintendo like new remakes, or even better, Nintendo produces an RPG 2 with Square also supervising while they make the game.

You can't bump the thread like this to only say we all got it wrong and leave us hanging on who it is other than "someone new", haha. If we're all wrong, who was it in the end?

You can't bump the thread like this to only say we all got it wrong and leave us hanging on who it is other than "someone new", haha. If we're all wrong, who was it in the end?
Oh I'm very sorry, it's just that people brought it up on the pre release thread and I could swear I put on the post too haha.
It's ArtPiazza like the post above me already clarified. I didn't really know them, but apparently they worked on Dragon Quest games(idk if it in one of the spin offs or if they assisted main games).
Gonna edit my post btw, thanks for the advice!!

It's not Square Enix internal but at least a developer mostly doing Square Enix ports, close enough I guess 👀

Also don't think I've seen anybody speculate on them.

I can't say I would have guessed them, but their extensive history with SE and remakes makes them obvious in hindsight.

So it was the dragon quest remake team, that makes more sense. Which means that they really gave their black friday release to square.
I don't think SE is getting much from this release

I can't say I would have guessed them, but their extensive history with SE and remakes makes them obvious in hindsight.

I don't think SE is getting much from this release
Yeah I don’t think so either but it’s peculiar that the big november release for Nintendo is pretty much a third party developed game.

Wasn't TOSE, but it ended up being another team with close ties to the DQ brand.

I call this a "win"~!

I can see Nintendo approaching Square for this remake, and Square suggesting ArtePiazza as the developer.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if originally Nintendo just wanted Square to sign off on getting SMRPG on NSO, but Square countered with an offer to finally just do a remake.

It's the only reason I can think of why the SNES Classic got the original SMRPG 6 years ago, but we never heard a peep for why Switch didn't.

Bumping the thread just to say... We all got it wrong!! The developer is ArtPiazza!!
Hopefully this does well enough that someone at Nintendo/ArtPiazza/SQE can get RPG 2 greenlit.

Those tougher enemies that act sort of like Metal Slimes should have been a dead giveaway that a DQ developer was involved lol

In retrospect SMRPG absolutely feels like a cross between Super Mario and Dragon Quest instead of Final Fantasy, it has the cozy lovable characters, a zany silly yet still dark story, and the script is so charming and funny. Mallow and Geno would fit right in as Dragon Quest party members.

Delighted for Team Other (please specify). Wasn't sure if they'd manage the win but they did it. Respect.

Makes all the sense in the world that the game would be made by a SquareEnix affiliate and not a Nintendo one. It's Squares game so the idea of a Nintendo affiliate like Camelot or ndcube doing this was silly.

Credit to SuperNintendad:

I don’t know what’s more wild about Super Mario RPG. The fact that it’s being made by ArtePiazza or the fact that it’s made in Unity.

Credit to SuperNintendad:

I don’t know what’s more wild about Super Mario RPG. The fact that it’s being made by ArtePiazza or the fact that it’s made in Unity.

why is Unity surprising? as soon as the option for a non-nintendo studio was on the table, Unity or UE was open game

Someone contracted out by Square Enix, I'd say. Might be Tose, might be another studio. Doesn’t seem like it fits any of the studios in Nintendo's orbit, Grezzo is the only one that would make sense and even that feels iffy
Cool.

My guess is Square-Enix was the party to approach Nintendo about the game, considering how much they've been mining their back catalog recently. ArtePiazza fits with that.

I know, and no need to apologize lol. It's just weird that someone would think those things are 'wild'

If Paper Mario goes full adventure path but they replace Mario and Luigi by reviving SMRPG and making it a series.. I'll be very happy with both.
You know, I would take that trade as well.

If Paper Mario goes full adventure path but they replace Mario and Luigi by reviving SMRPG and making it a series.. I'll be very happy with both.
You mean paper Mario gets rid of its RPG gameplay and goes further down its current path while Mario RPG comes back as the dominant RPG series? I would take that, but I kinda hope Mario RPG comes back as a series AND Paper Mario fully goes down the RPG pipeline

You mean paper Mario gets rid of its RPG gameplay and goes further down its current path while Mario RPG comes back as the dominant RPG series? I would take that, but I kinda hope Mario RPG comes back as a series AND Paper Mario fully goes down the RPG pipeline
Paper Mario is the way it is specifically because they want to avoid having two Mario RPGs. either you only get one series, or two different series

Makes all the sense in the world that the game would be made by a SquareEnix affiliate and not a Nintendo one. It's Squares game so the idea of a Nintendo affiliate like Camelot or ndcube doing this was silly.
A Nintendo affiliate making it wasn't silly, it just wasn't correct.

It's not Square's game any more than it's Nintendo's. They both co-own this property. Either one could've taken the more active developmental position with the other mostly consulting and signing off on things. It's not like the original dev is making it.

A Nintendo affiliate making it wasn't silly, it just wasn't correct.

It's not Square's game any more than it's Nintendo's. They both co-own this property. Either one could've taken the more active developmental position with the other mostly consulting and signing off on things. It's not like the original dev is making it.
A lot of people seem to think Square Enix only ever owned specific elements like Geno and Mallow instead of their actual co-ownership of the game itself.

Back
Top Bottom