• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Who's the developer of the Super Mario RPG remake?

Who's the main developer of Super Mario RPG?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marce-chan

Magical Girls <3
Pronouns
They/Them
Since there's a thread already on speculating who is making the Princess Peach game, I figured it's time to discuss who the hell is making the Super Mario RPG remake on a dedicated thread.

Gonna put a poll of some of the most speculated developers until now, and I'll really like to read new suggestions and see what y'all are thinking!!

I'm torn between Square Enix and NDCube. My first assumption was SE, but I'm not really sure which team there would be doing this, and some aspects like the UI really do seem NDCube-esque. Nintendo being so cagey about who's developing it does have me thinking it's someone internally there as well, so that's got me leaning all the more toward NDCube (although Monolith Soft would be something all right).

Whoever it is, I hope they were able to bring on as many of the original team members, including a bunch of the AlphaDream developers, as possible.

Last edited:
Square traditionally doesn’t even develop remakes of their own games in-house. They’re usually done by external studios like TOSE and Matrix Software. FF7R trilogy is one of the few exceptions and at this point I don’t even know if you could consider those games remakes.

I guess it may depend on whether it was Nintendo or Square who proposed this remake. Square could have come to Nintendo with a pitch, which would add support for a dev like TOSE. Nintendo could have also just negotiated a deal with Square and are handling it themselves. I don’t even know how many Mario PRG devs are still at Square. Ironically, some of them went on to form AlphaDream.

Out of the poll options, the only likely devs in my opinion are Grezzo, NDcube, or TOSE. I know an RPG isn’t NDcube’s usual fare, but there have been some no-show dev leads since 2018 and a remake wouldn’t need as many designers with RPG expertise compared to a brand-new game.

Last edited:
Someone contracted out by Square Enix, I'd say. Might be Tose, might be another studio. Doesn’t seem like it fits any of the studios in Nintendo's orbit, Grezzo is the only one that would make sense and even that feels iffy

still think it might be Grezzo with Nintendo supervising while Square Enix part was contracting out the license for the characters they own.

S-E barely develop anything in-house anymore. Their internal output basically consists exclusively of mainline Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts (+ Forespoken, though that game and its development studio is no longer a going concern). There is no way that S-E are the ones that made the SMRPG remake.

It's probably Nintendo EPD, hopefully with the original Alphadream staff now on board Nintendo proper. The development timeline would match up pretty much perfectly if it was made by the Alphadream staff after the studio closed in early 2019.

S-E barely develop anything in-house anymore. Their internal output basically consists exclusively of mainline Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts (+ Forespoken, though that game and its development studio is no longer a going concern). There is no way that S-E are the ones that made the SMRPG remake.

It's probably Nintendo EPD, hopefully with the original Alphadream staff now on board Nintendo proper. The development timeline would match up pretty much perfectly if it was made by the Alphadream staff after the studio closed in early 2019.
Which team at EPD would make this?

I totally think NDcube now, the UI is one thing, but many parts of the overall graphics also feel similar to Mario Party Superstars in terms of lighting, animation, it just is slightly more detailed on a texture level.

Alphadreams number 1 problems that was leading to he companies collapse was that they had basically 0 expertise with making games with anything that wasn't sprites.

Now while that's obviously a problem that can be resolved, I'm not sure I'd place them as a likely candidate for either largely being headhunted by Nintendo nor for making this game.

(You missed a fair few internal square games even though yes, they're also a prominent publisher).

I would guess this is just some other company that Nintendo hired to work on this if it isn't square outright. Grezzo could be doing it I suppose, but I suspect they're doing LM2 and tied up with other projects to be doing this

My guess is that Square-Enix's only real involvement was signing off on the license.

I'm leaning this being a SE produced project with Nintendo funding. SE will put their people on it and hire an external studio to develop. Doesn't rule out some of the studios listed as Grezzo for example hasn't released anything for Switch since Miitopia so the timeline makes sense. We will have to wait and see

Gonna stick with TOSE on this one, with Square Enix and Nintendo overseeing.
I think that's very likely. And seeing how well Crisis Core got in terms of visuals(and the impressive Switch port), I sure hope it's them!!! It can also be them helping one of Nintendo's teams or contractors.
Hello. Im glad you've taken an intrest in my work. Nice to meet you
Hello!! Nice to meet you too!
Someone contracted out by Square Enix, I'd say. Might be Tose, might be another studio. Doesn’t seem like it fits any of the studios in Nintendo's orbit, Grezzo is the only one that would make sense and even that feels iffy
Tbh I think that it was Nintendo's doing... With Square not doing much more than the licencing and allowing the game to be made. Tose is a very likely candidate for either scenario tho.
still think it might be Grezzo with Nintendo supervising while Square Enix part was contracting out the license for the characters they own.
Yeah, that's my impression as well. A Nintendo contractor(with Nintendo's leads) with Square Enix part being basically licensing. I think I'd like some leads and supervising by Square people as well tho.
As much as it looks like Grezzo, it definitely is in-house Square Enix
Hmmmm that's interesting, who do you think would be making this? Before the announcement I was dead certain it was gonna be a Team Asano game, and even on the trailer the use of CGI made me think SE was still likely. Team Asano does make games that aren't 2D HD like Bravely Default so...

Which EPD team do you think it is? I think one of the teams contracting a bunch of talent from Alphadream and them being involved on the project would be the best case scenario! But I guess ND Cube or Grezzo or Tose making the game with leads from EPD and Square supervision and Alphadream talent contracted would still be very likely.
I totally think NDcube now, the UI is one thing, but many parts of the overall graphics also feel similar to Mario Party Superstars in terms of lighting, animation, it just is slightly more detailed on a texture level.
That's my impression as well!! There's one scene I can't stop going back whenever I watch the trailer, which has some really really advanced lighting and reflections.
I voted Grezzo. It looks like a straight graphical conversion like Links Awakening. It gives me that vibe and the timing lines up.
Grezzo is super likely yeah, I'm kinda hopeful that it's another team tho since I want them to be making a new 2D Zelda.

I think it's unlikely it's TOSE, they were just done with DQ Treasures and now DQ Monsters 3 is on full development.

My bet is this is an internal S-E developed title funded directly by Nintendo. Consider this project the counter to the Sony-funded Final Fantasy XVI.

I'm leaning towards SE internal but I do have to wonder who there would do it? Asano? Didn't they do the Star Ocean remake?

I'm not sure who's developing it, but i just hope a lot of ex-AlphaDream folks are involved.

I'm leaning towards SE internal but I do have to wonder who there would do it? Asano? Didn't they do the Star Ocean remake?
thing is, as far as I'm aware, with Asano they pretty much always work with a third party developper, Octopath Traveler is with Acquire and Triangle Stragegy was with Artdink

Hmmmm that's interesting, who do you think would be making this? Before the announcement I was dead certain it was gonna be a Team Asano game, and even on the trailer the use of CGI made me think SE was still likely. Team Asano does make games that aren't 2D HD like Bravely Default so...
Team Asano's games are all outsourced. Bravelys Default 1 and Second were by Silicon Studio, Default II was Clay Tech Works, the Octopath Travelers were by Acquire, Triangle Strategy was Artdink, Live A Live was done by historia, Various Daylife was by a company called Doki Doki Grooveworks.

I think it's unlikely it's TOSE, they were just done with DQ Treasures and now DQ Monsters 3 is on full development.
TOSE is one of the larger dev houses in the biz with 600+ employees. They very likely have various staff on a multitude of different projects. Including, but probably not limited to a variety of stuff for Nintendo and Square Enix.

Well I think we can rule out NDcube now, unless it turns out CA Production is leading development with the former assisting, which would be very weird as that has only happened for Clubhouse Games so far. Same goes for the Peach game.

I know the game was reportedly finished back in 2021, but I still don‘t think that would be enough time develop Mario RPG, especially when a new Mario Party is almost certainly in the works. We also don’t know if anything was changed based on the negative feedback.

Last edited:
The use of FMV cutscenes reminds me a lot of Camelot. They also have RPG experience and the UI is not unlike what they use for Mario Sports.

Last edited:
FF7R trilogy is one of the few exceptions and at this point I don’t even know if you could consider those games remakes.
CyberConnect2 was the dev outsourced for the Remake, so the FFVII project is an exception, but only because Nomura himself personally asked the SE higher ups to pull the project internally.

To this day, I don’t think we know what happened.

Alphadreams number 1 problems that was leading to he companies collapse was that they had basically 0 expertise with making games with anything that wasn't sprites.

Now while that's obviously a problem that can be resolved, I'm not sure I'd place them as a likely candidate for either largely being headhunted by Nintendo nor for making this game.

(You missed a fair few internal square games even though yes, they're also a prominent publisher).

I would guess this is just some other company that Nintendo hired to work on this if it isn't square outright. Grezzo could be doing it I suppose, but I suspect they're doing LM2 and tied up with other projects to be doing this
Doesn't it make much more sense for Next Level to be handling LM2? It's their game and their engine.

Well I think we can rule out NDcube now, unless it turns out CA Production is leading development with the former assisting, which would be very weird as that has only happened for Clubhouse Games so far. Same goes for the Peach game.

I know the game was reportedly finished back in 2021, but I still don‘t think that would be enough time develop Mario RPG, especially when a new Mario Party is almost certainly in the works. We also don’t know if anything was changed based on the negative feedback.

Don't forget that CA Productions, Will Co.,, and Smileboom do a lot of sub contract work for NDCUBE / EPD.

That's unfortunate... But at least it probably means the next Mario Party is a lock for holiday 2024.
2023: Super Mario Bros. Wonder in October and Super Mario RPG in November
2024: Mario Party & Friends in October and 3D Super Mario + Switch 2 in November.

Or maybe 3D Mario + Switch 2 in September, Party in October and Pokémon remakes in November.
The use of FMV cutscenes reminds me a lot of Camelot. They also have RPG experience and the UI is not unlike what they use for Mario Sports.
That'd be a dream case scenario!! They did very pretty Mario sports games on the Switch. Golf releasing in June 2021, maybe being done by late 2020(at least content complete before that) would make the time right for another game by them. Also having them back for RPGs would be great. Makes me more hopeful for Golden Sun getting something soon. Emily told us Nintendo cares about this franchise and sometimes tries to find someone to work on it. Now that Advance Wars is released, I think Golden Sun Trilogy remake by the Shantae devs is in the cards.
Doesn't it make much more sense for Next Level to be handling LM2? It's their game and their engine.
Grezzo made the Luigi's Mansion remake for 3DS. I think the footage shown, as far as Luigi's modelling and animations go, looked more like their thing than what Luigi's Mansion 3 looks. Tbh I think they can be making the Peach game.
Don't forget that CA Productions, Will Co.,, and Smileboom do a lot of sub contract work for NDCUBE / EPD.
So... ND Cube making Mario RPG is still in the cards?

Square traditionally doesn’t even develop remakes of their own games in-house. They’re usually done by external studios like TOSE and Matrix Software. FF7R trilogy is one of the few exceptions and at this point I don’t even know if you could consider those games remakes.
They're a remake of FF7. Just not in the sense video game audiences are used to.

Back
Top Bottom