• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Which system had your favorite batch of "Mario/Zelda/Metroid" games?

Which system had your favorite batch of "Mario/Zelda/Metroid" games?

• Super Mario Bros. 3/The Legend of Zelda/Metroid (NES)

• Super Mario Land 2/Link's Awakening/Metroid 2 (Game Boy)

• Super Mario World/A Link to the Past/Super Metroid (SNES)

• Super Mario Sunshine/The Wind Waker/Metroid Prime (GameCube)

• New Super Mario Bros./Phantom Hourglass/Metroid Prime Hunters (DS)

• Super Mario Galaxy/Twilight Princess/Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

• Super Mario 3D Land/A Link Between Worlds/Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

• Super Mario Odyssey/Breath of the Wild/Metroid Dread (Switch)

Results are only viewable after voting.
The GameCube for me. I love BOTW and I enjoy TotK, alongside Odyssey, but all three games have issues, and are unnecessarily padded. Can't fault Dread tho, that game is phenomenal 10/10, and I'm not even a huge Metroid fan, I just prefer Prime 1.

Also the GameCube technically has three Zelda games if you include FSA, and all three are just great.

I think SNES and Switch are the only systems where all 3 series have entries I really like. Otherwise you’ve got Mario holding back Gamecube, two lesser Zelda’s on the Wii, Metroid on the GB etc.

Voted Switch just, although it can’t be denied how groundbreaking those SNES entries are. I think the thing that tips it to Switch for me is that if Wonder and Prime 4 stick the landing then we could have 2 quality original entries for all 3 series, which is a volume the SNES can’t compete with.

For me it's the Switch. All 3 games are near the top of their series.

Not surprised SNES has a lot of votes, but I'm somehow not a huge fan of SMW or Super Metroid despite loving both series. I should probably give SMW another shot, though. A Link to the Past is great, at least.

I like all 3 Gamecube games but Sunshine definitely has so many issues it's a bit difficult to overlook.

As subjectively as possible, its the gamecube.

I love Sunshine more than Oddyssey. Wind Waker more than Breath of the Wild. And Prime over Dread.

I know the Switch games are better, but I can't really let go how much I love these 3.

Metroid makes this grouping weird, as if it's up there with the Marios and Zelda. But anyway, because of that I guess the 3DS wins since it has one of the few Metroid games I played to completion. The others are the GBA games and that system sucked for an original Mario game so it's automatically out.

Though luckily I also really enjoyed 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds and would place them highly if this was only for Mario and Zelda games so it doesn't feel like a compromise vote.

Why is Metroid always part of such threads? Makes it sound like it's Nintendo's third most important series.
Metroid makes this grouping weird, as if it's up there with the Marios and Zelda.
Nothing from Nintendo's portfolio is up there with Mario and Zelda that hits on popularity, sales, historical influence, and critical acclaim in quite a comparable way. Those two are unique. Metroid simply fits the bill closest in the latter two categories if you're intent on starting from the NES era, which OP is.

In theory you could add Kirby to the question as well.

Though that would probably only continue the disparity between SNES & Switch with the others.

Nothing from Nintendo's portfolio is up there with Mario and Zelda that hits on popularity, sales, historical influence, and critical acclaim in quite a comparable way. Those two are unique. Metroid simply fits the bill closest in the latter two categories if you're intent on starting from the NES era, which OP is.
Nope, no fun allowed. I like how these threads always have to devolve into sales & popularity.

Anyways let me tell you why Pikmin 4 will outsell Final Fantasy XVI

This is tough, good poll. I went with Switch on the strength of BotW and Odyssey. SNES was very close. I do love Dread but not quite as much as Super Metroid.

I think SNES is the easy general answer because there was the most room to grow for those franchises. But I voted Switch.

Mario Odyssey > Tears of the Kingdom > Metroid Dread is just a wonderful trifecta.
Galaxy 2 > Twilight Princess > Metroid Prime Trilogy is a close second.

I'd like to add, if I had played the SNES games at the time of their original release, that truly might be my answer since those games were so formative for the medium. However, my hot take is that, if the N64 hypothetically had a 9/10-worthy Metroid game on it, I'd prefer that to SNES too.

Super Mario 64 was my first real game besides Tigger's Honey Hunt when I was three years old lol, and it's still incredible imo. I replayed it to 100% on 3D All Stars and had a great time. Ocarina and Majora are two of the greatest games ever made to me. A "what if?" N64 Metroid game on the Zero Mission tier (below Dread and Super, above everything else) might be enough for me to give it the #2 slot.

Yeah a Metroid 64 that was, at the very least, "really good" would make this a no brainer for me to pick N64.

Difficult choice between Gamecube and Switch for me. Ended up voting for Gamecube, but it's super close.

what the fuck is Chris Pratt doing there

anyways it’s Gamecube for me, hate all you want but I love those games

It's wild how the Switch really does feel like the best of Nintendo yet.

By default it's the GC. Plenty of Zelda and Mario but the only Metroid I've played is Prime (and that was only for half an hour). Just a complete blind spot of a series for me.

1./2. SNES <=> Switch
................... long pause
3. Cube
4. GB
5. NES
6. 3DS
7. Wii
8. DS

I think SNES and Switch are about on par with each other and while I like BotW and TotK as much as I do ALttP, I slightly prefer Odyssey over World and Super Metroid over Dread.

Wii gave us the bountiful batch of:
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid Prime Trilogy

It feels arbitrary to limit it to just have one from each series. Even quantity aside there is no beating the Wii in these games' quality which seems ironic in hindsight. In that it is/was perceived as super casual system, even losing this poll to everything except the portables and Nintendo's first home console. Like what in the cognitive dissonance?

change Breath of the Wild to Tears of a Kingdom on the Switch.

Where is the WiiU. it had Super Mario 3D world/Metroid Prime Trilogy/ Breach of the Wild released on it.

This is hard. I love Link's Awakening and Super Mario Land to bits but Metroid 2 is not that great to me.

Love Windwaker and Prime but Sunshine is not for me.

Love Odyssey and Dread but I just don't care all that much for Botw or Totk.

Majora and SM64 are great but no Metroid there :v

Gotta be SNES. SMW is kind of my comfort Mario game, Alttp is fantastic (even though I prefer the GB Zeldas more when it comes to 2D) and Super Metroid is still my favourite.

Wii gave us the bountiful batch of:
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Metroid Prime Trilogy

It feels arbitrary to limit it to just have one from each series. Even quantity aside there is no beating the Wii in these games' quality which seems ironic in hindsight. In that it is/was perceived as super casual system, even losing this poll to everything except the portables and Nintendo's first home console. Like what in the cognitive dissonance?
Probably because TP (and Prime) are more associated with the GC than the Wii, while that one is more associated with Other M and Skyward Sword, two franchise entries with a pretty divisive reception?

SNES>3DS>Switch to me. Mostly as I care a lot more about Zelda than I do about Mario and Metroid (which come further down my list of favourite Nintendo series). And I much prefer the 2D games.

I haven't played all of these Metroid games so I can't necessarily choose there but for the other two series it's a literal tie between Gamecube and Switch for me.

Mario Sunshine and Odyssey are my two favourite 3D Mario games (and probably overall Mario titles), and The Wind Waker and Tears of the Kingdom are my two favourite Zelda games. So yeah it's literally tied. I need to play Metroid Dread to be my tie-breaker I guess!

I'll pick Switch but only by counting Wonder instead of Odyssey cause I genuinely liked Odyssey less than every other Mario game listed on the poll

I mean it basically has to be SNES or Gamecube due to those systems having the only notably good Metroid games on them.

NES but for Link's Adventure instead.. why not include Zelda 2.

I'm not big on Mario games (3D World is the only one in the last few generations that I've played), but my vote is for Switch. Breath of the Wild and Dread are very near the top of the pile of best of their series for me. Also 3D World is on Switch anyway and I liked that game a lot. 😎

Switch, easily. You have to count Tears of the Kingdom, Super Mario Bros. Wonder, and Metroid Prime Remastered too. Add in that we're still likely to have one more enormous addition to that pile (Metroid Prime 4).... it's not even close.

I haven't played Dread yet, but I think SNES wins this one. All 3 of those games were not only landmark SNES titles, but set the standard for their series in general. I imagine when I do play Dread though Switch will be #2 on this list.

If the Mario and Zelda titles in this poll were 3D World + Bowser's Fury and Tears Of The Kingdom though, it would easily be Switch given that not only are those my favorites in their series, I have those two in my top ten favorite games of all time. I still have Super as my favorite Metroid far and away though.
Okay I played Dread

I think it’s still SNES

One system having over half the votes tells it all. This isn’t even close

-BotW
-Tears of the Kingdom
-Zelda Links Awakening remake
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Super Mario Wonder
-Bowsers Fury
-Metroid Prime Remastered
-Metroid Dread

One system having over half the votes tells it all. This isn’t even close

-BotW
-Tears of the Kingdom
-Zelda Links Awakening remake
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Super Mario Wonder
-Bowsers Fury
-Metroid Prime Remastered
-Metroid Dread
Well OP said remasters and remakes don't count

Otherwise Switch would obviously take this considering it has most of the notable Mario/Zelda/Metroid games in some fashion

But believe me if I could include 3D World + Bowser's Fury, the Metroid pillar would become completely negligible lol

dead thread thrust to life

but I was still right the first time

all three Gamecube games have very distinct “holy shit, they did that” identities, ones that I personally love

but no matter what, Wind Waker is iconic, Sunshine is iconic, and Metroid Prime is iconic. you see them and know immediately what they are — they stand out, but thrive.

and Sunshine was the stepping stone not only for Mario but Splatoon

so

you’re welcome

Well OP said remasters and remakes don't count

Otherwise Switch would obviously take this considering it has most of the notable Mario/Zelda/Metroid games in some fashion

But believe me if I could include 3D World + Bowser's Fury, the Metroid pillar would become completely negligible lol

Yet they have Samus Returns listed for 3DS. They should have had Federation Force instead :p

Edit: The OP actually says remakes are fine, but not remasters. It's kinda weird how Link's Awakening is considered a remake but Prime is considered a remaster when they basically took the same approach to rebuilding the game.

SNES > Gamecube > Wii > Switch

SNES: Super Mario World, a link to the past, Super Metroid, (Yoshi‘s Island)

Gamecube: Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Metroid Prime 2, (Twilight Princess), Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Other M

Switch: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Bros Wonder, BotW, TotK, Metroid Dread, Bowser‘s Fury

I'll be boring and say SNES because I've played more rom hacks and rando runs of those 3 then time I've spent playing the Switch games.

Back
Top Bottom