• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Which system had your favorite batch of "Mario/Zelda/Metroid" games?

Which system had your favorite batch of "Mario/Zelda/Metroid" games?

• Super Mario Bros. 3/The Legend of Zelda/Metroid (NES)

• Super Mario Land 2/Link's Awakening/Metroid 2 (Game Boy)

• Super Mario World/A Link to the Past/Super Metroid (SNES)

• Super Mario Sunshine/The Wind Waker/Metroid Prime (GameCube)

• New Super Mario Bros./Phantom Hourglass/Metroid Prime Hunters (DS)

• Super Mario Galaxy/Twilight Princess/Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

• Super Mario 3D Land/A Link Between Worlds/Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

• Super Mario Odyssey/Breath of the Wild/Metroid Dread (Switch)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
nintendo-mario-metroid-link.jpg

The Mario/Zelda/Metroid trinity - the three Nintendo IPs that generally end up as among the best received games of any generation they end up being a part of. There are very few systems that have not seen at least one release from each of these IPs - it's only N64 (which had no Metroid), GBA (which only had Mario ports, no original games), and Wii U (which was the Wii U).

Of all these many batches of Mario/Zelda/Metroid games on the same system, which one is your favorite? For systems that have more than one game in an IP, feel free to use your favorite one if I did not list it (I.e, if you like Metroid Prime 2 more than 1, feel free to substitute that for the GameCube; if you like Skyward Sword more than Twilight Princess, feel free to substitute that for Wii. Etc.). My only request is that you try to keep your consideration limited to original games only - remakes are fine, but try not to include remasters and straight ports (so don't count Metroid Prime Remastered as the Metroid game for Switch, don't count Ocarina of Time 3D for 3DS).

Big thing holding me back with this one is never having played Prime 3. Twilight Princess and Galaxy/Galaxy 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, but I can’t vote for that option in good faith without having played the Metroid counterpart.

That just leaves the Switch as the runaway favorite for me.

This is a really hard one. I think it comes up to Gamecube vs Switch for me, even as someone who never grew up with the Cube.

The Zelda games on Switch are much better than they are on Gamecube, but I prefer Sunshine to Odyssey, and Metroid Prime is probably better than Dread, 2 would at least tip the scales definitively.

Favorite Zelda: BotW or TotK
Favorite Mario: Super Mario Odyssey
Favorite Metroid: Metroid Dread

I will give my vote to the Switch

SNES, closely followed by Switch, but SMW, SM and LTTP are all incredibly formative games for me.

GB nails two out of three (as does N64, but it isn't eligible).

Don't get me wrong, as much as I love the Switch trilogy and how definitive they now are, the Wii was on some next level shit

I voted Gamecube but honestly, if I played Super Mario World outside a few random levels, maybe SNES would win for me. Super Metroid and A Link to the Past are just so good.

I was between the SNES and the Switch, finally decided to vote for the SNES because all three are equally groundbreaking games that still make it into the top#10 of many lists, but in the Switch BotW is half a step above Mario Oddyssey and both are a level above Dread. Metroid Dread, through amazing, is not a landmark title like any of the others in SNES and Switch.

This is tough because if it weren't for Sunshine, it'd be Gamecube easily. Galaxy is my favorite Mario, but while I like Prime 3 and Twilight Princess a lot they're more middle of the pack for me so Wii is out, too. Switch is very strong, but I think I have to give it to SNES. Three stone-cold classic games that may not be my overall favorites individually but are so good and high quality that'd be my pick.

I was confused between GameCube, SNES, and Switch (with some consideration for Wii on the back of Galaxy) for this:

GameCube:
Wind Waker: 10/10
Metroid Prime: 10/10
Sunshine: 0/10

Switch:
Breath of the Wild: 10/10
Odyssey: 10/10
Dread: 9.5/10

SNES:
Mario World: 10/10
A Link to the Past: 10/10
Super Metroid: 10/10

SNES wins

This is tough because if it weren't for Sunshine, it'd be Gamecube easily. Galaxy is my favorite Mario, but while I like Prime 3 and Twilight Princess a lot they're more middle of the pack for me so Wii is out, too. Switch is very strong, but I think I have to give it to SNES. Three stone-cold classic games that may not be my overall favorites individually but are so good and high quality that'd be my pick.
Or what SammyJ9 said

I don't play Metroid and don't care for the majority of Marios and Zeldas, so Switch wins here because I liked both SMO and BotW/TotK. Runnerup would probably be 3DS

N64 is quality enough to make up for the lack of Metroid but I guess it doesn’t count if the function is missing a parameter

It’s the Gamecube I suppose, three absolute bangers right there (yes, even Sunshine). Wii is actually close especially if you choose Galaxy 2 and SS but while I love Prime 3 it’s not the best representative of the series, not over Prime or Super. SNES is obviously solid, Super and Prime are pretty much tied but I honestly like Sunshine and Wind Waker over SMW and ALTTP. I also consider Yoshi’s Island as a Yoshi game so it can’t rep Mario in my book. Others are just not in the conversation for me, even Switch

This is pretty tough lol. For me it’s like one stands head and shoulders above the others each gen. For SNES and GC I vastly prefer Metroid, Wii I vastly prefer Mario, for example. And then NES and the portables don’t really make a dent at all in terms of my favorite entries for any of the three.

I guess I’ll give it to Switch - TOTK is my favorite Zelda, Odyssey my second favorite Mario. Dread isn’t in top 3 for Metroid but it’s still awesome.

Last edited:
For Wii I’m putting Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy. It’s between Wii and Switch. Sunshine I like, but it’s my least favorite 3D Mario and that holds the GC back.

• Favorite Mario: Galaxy (Wii)
  • Favorite Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
  • Favorite Metroid: Super Metroid (SNES)
Hmm, it seems we are at an impasse. This is a particularly tough question for me since I’ve only played like three Metroid games.

Closer than I thought: SNES batch over Switch.

Personal favorites:
  • Super Metroid (all-time favorite)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (second all-time)
    • Supplanted The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • One of Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, or Super Mario Odyssey depending on the day (all top 15-20)

It's pretty much a toss-up between Gamecube and Switch for me.

Gamecube
  • Sunshine: my personal favorite 3D Mario
  • Windwaker: a top 3 Zelda
  • Prime 1: what I would consider the outright best Metroid game

Switch
  • Odyssey: a top 3 Mario
  • BotW: my all-time favorite game
  • Dread: a top 3 Metroid

It's real close, but I think Switch takes it by a hair. Unless we want to include remasters (or if Prime 4 completely knocks it out of the park when it finally comes out), in which case Switch goes from just barely winning to a landslide victory.

Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Metroid Dread are definitely among my favorites in their franchises and all of them are the closest possible to perfect I can think of. So I'll go with Switch.

Super Nintendo is a close second tho since Super and World are GoAT material as well, but I have yet to finish ALTTP.

Anyways Switch still has MP4 and Wonder to come and TotK looks like the best possible game ever so it's not getting its crown taken.

While I love most of the subsequent games, for me, the Super Nintendo quadrinity has yet to be topped.

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island

Last edited:
Switch. I don't really care for classic Zelda all that much so Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom's shift does way more for me. Doesn't help that Metroid Dread is phenomenal and is my favorite game of all time, and Odyssey is really good (although ranks #3 in 3D Mario behind Galaxy 1 and 2).

Super Nintendo by default I guess, since it's the only one where I like all three. Inadvertent hot take? GameCube would at least be in consideration if I could mod Sunshine though.

This is a tough one because my favourite entries are spread across multiple consoles: TotK on Switch, Galaxy 2 on Wii and Echoes on GameCube. Aside from those...

The GameCube has Prime which I love but I don't really care for Sunshine, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.
The Wii has a lot of games that I don't hate but don't consider high tier: Galaxy 1, the aforementioned Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Corruption.
The Switch has BotW and the best version of 3D World which are top 3 entries. Odyssey and Dread, as highly as I rate them, I'd place just outside of the top 3.

The SNES is a really strong contender thanks to ALttP and Super Metroid but I don't really like Super Mario World all that much. I guess the All-Stars version of SMB3 counts? If the N64 had a decent Metroid, I'd rank it easily above the Wii and GC. GB feels almost underrated in this discussion tbh.

I have to go with the SNES trilogy of Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid. it is close with the Switch, but those three games are just as great now as they were 30 years ago.

The best answers all have two games I really like and one I don't care for, so I think I just won't vote but will say SNES/Wii/Switch

Why is Metroid always part of such threads? Makes it sound like it's Nintendo's third most important series.

So I'm replacing it with Animal Crossing, Nintendo's REAL third most important series. that makes the answer more challenging. For me, best Mario games were on NES, best Zelda games were on GB and best AC game was on 3DS. But I LOVED 3DS Mario and Zelda games, so my answer is....

3DS!

GameCube for me, as it has the only Mario and Metroid games I actually enjoy, otherwise I'm just pitting Zeldas against each other.

I would say Switch for sure. TotK and BotW is the duology to end all duologies, Metroid Dread is awesome and I have no doubt that Prime 4 will also be awesome. Odyssey slaps, and so does Bowser's Fury.

GC isn't far behind, though. TP, TWW, Prime and Sunshine are all 10's as far as I'm concerned.

Eh.. I'd say Wii U because Metroid was not ever a factor to me, but I've enjoyed the mini-game in Nintendo Land! So..

Super Mario 3D World/Breath of the Wild/Metroid Blast!

But for the options listed, I suppose the SNES is the second closest.. even though A Link to the Past is not much my thing, it's undeniable a quality title.

Favorite batch (not favorite games!): Super NES.

This is really hard, but I went for the Switch.

The SNES and Wii groupings aren't too far behind, though.

Seems quite easily to be the SNES gen to me if all 3 are considered. Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and Super Mario World all have arguments for being the best game in their series.

This is a tough one because my favourite entries are spread across multiple consoles: TotK on Switch, Galaxy 2 on Wii and Echoes on GameCube. Aside from those...

The GameCube has Prime which I love but I don't really care for Sunshine, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.
The Wii has a lot of games that I don't hate but don't consider high tier: Galaxy 1, the aforementioned Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Corruption.
The Switch has BotW and the best version of 3D World which are top 3 entries. Odyssey and Dread, as highly as I rate them, I'd place just outside of the top 3.

The SNES is a really strong contender thanks to ALttP and Super Metroid but I don't really like Super Mario World all that much. I guess the All-Stars version of SMB3 counts? If the N64 had a decent Metroid, I'd rank it easily above the Wii and GC. GB feels almost underrated in this discussion tbh.
A Nintendo fan with opinions? WTF. Welcome to the block list, buddy. /s

Seems quite easily to be the SNES gen to me if all 3 are considered. Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and Super Mario World all have arguments for being the best game in their series.
They all have arguments for being the best game ever

Switch has the unfair advantage of not only being in the running here on its own merits, but also having TWO unique Zelda and Mario games (about to be 3 Marios) AND having access to almost every one of my favorites from these franchises. (Only missing Galaxy 2, Wind Waker, Prime 2-3, and Zero Mission.)

So even though SNES and Wii could both be in contention here (I don't love ALttP or Twilight Princess), I think Switch takes it easily.

I'm not treating it as a batch so much as I am the representation of the series as a whole

BOTW/TOTK landing on the same system is an incredible boon, and Link's Awakening 2019 is a stellar remake of maybe the best 2D Zelda. Odyssey's fantastic, 3D World and Bowser's Fury are top shelf, and Wonder would have to be a truly biblical faceplant to take the lustre off the Switch's Mario run. Dread is easily my favorite 2D Metroid, and Prime 4 could also be good!

I've never eaten this well as a fan of those series. The Switch is the best it's ever been, and all we're really missing now is a Prime 4 showcase and an original 2D Zelda

I haven't played Dread yet, but I think SNES wins this one. All 3 of those games were not only landmark SNES titles, but set the standard for their series in general. I imagine when I do play Dread though Switch will be #2 on this list.

If the Mario and Zelda titles in this poll were 3D World + Bowser's Fury and Tears Of The Kingdom though, it would easily be Switch given that not only are those my favorites in their series, I have those two in my top ten favorite games of all time. I still have Super as my favorite Metroid far and away though.

There's something about that image in the OP that is extremely cursed to me.

Anyways, I think it's pretty hard to beat the SNES trio. Super Metroid is tied with Prime as my favorite Metroid game, and while SMW and LttP aren't my favorite games in their respective series', they're definitely both up there.

My vote is for SNES. Super Mario World is the best Mario game, and A Link to the Past and Super Metroid are top-teir entries in their franchises.

Ask again in a year. Mario Wonder and a cross-gen Metroid Prime 4 both have the potential to be all-timers.

GameCube.
Sunshine is a great 3D Mario, 2 fantastic Metroid games, 1 great Zelda.

Not to mention the handheld output during the time. 2 awesome 2D Metroids, 1 2D Zelda, then some decent Mario remakes

SNES is a close competition

SNES > wii = switch > GC > others

SNES has 3 heavy hitters, galaxy and prime 3 are great with TP bring decent, botw and odyssey are great with dread being decent. GC has one heavy hitter (actually 2 because of prime 2 but it's not on the list) with Prime, sunshine is decent and WW is bad. Others aren't close.

Back
Top Bottom