• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Retro Which Super Mario 64s have you paid for?

Which versions of Super Mario 64 have you paid for?

• Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

Votes: 106 62.4%
  • Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS)

Votes: 114 67.1%
  • Super Mario 64 (Wii Virtual Console)

Votes: 69 40.6%
  • Super Mario 64 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • Super Mario 64 DS (Wii U Virtual Console)

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo Switch)

Votes: 142 83.5%
  • Super Mario 64 / Nintendo Switch Online (Nintendo Switch)

Votes: 95 55.9%

• Total voters

juuso

Like Like
As far as I am concerned, Nintendo's biggest innovations come in the form of the different ways they make me buy Super Mario 64 again and again (or just pay for it, let's not ignore subscription services!).

I never had a Nintendo 64, but luckily there have been some opportunities to play this masterpiece of a game later. The different versions I have paid for are:
  • Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo DS)
  • Super Mario 64 (Wii Virtual Console)
  • Super Mario 64 (Wii U Virtual Console, just the transfer cost though!)
  • Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo Switch)
  • Super Mario 64 / Nintendo Switch Online (Nintendo Switch)
How about you?

N64, DS and NSO. I didn't double dip on many N64 Virtual Console games since my N64 and its library are perfectly intact in my closet. I would have bought 3D All-Stars though if it included Galaxy 2.

64 (twice), DS and Wii VC. And that's been plenty for me. Though I'll get the expansion pack if the deal eventually gets better.

nice

also 64, Wii, DS.

Oddly enough I played 64 but it was a rushed playthrough and definitely not to completeion; played loads of the DS version and then stopped for whatever reason, and then finally did a proper playthrough I can remember for Wii virtual console.

Wacky way of going about it.

The original and DS. I am shocked there are people here who have not bought the original Super Mario 64. Shocked. It is in particular very surprising that more people have bought the DS version than the N64 version.

The original and DS. I am shocked there are people here who have not bought the original Super Mario 64. Shocked. It is in particular very surprising that more people have bought the DS version than the N64 version.
I was surprised by the DS version being in the lead as well. I made this thread mostly as a (bad) joke, but now this is genuinely interesting!

N64 launch game
DS launch game
3D Allstars FOMO purchase

Oh well, it could be worse.

Options 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 from the poll :) It’s my favorite game of all time, but I do not care for the DS version additions nor the lesser controls so once was enough (the touch screen minigames were pretty cool though, particularly the trampoline one). I’m holding off on the Expansion Pass for Switch Online until at least April when my sub lapses. Hopefully the N64 library is bigger and the emulation issues are fixed by then.

I got a used Wii from my friend that had it bought from virtual console, and I'm on my brothers family plan, so last time was 64, which I bought last year for my Japanese N64.

Original and DS. When the VC was up it was my Dark Ages as a videogamer (high school and college), All-Stars is a ripoff and NSO too as of yet.

All of them. 😳

I'm glad to see the one person who bought Super Mario 64 DS on Wii U VC found their way to this thread

Gotta admit, I was a little embarrassed when I saw I was the first vote for it and thought I must be lying to everyone. So, I went to Nintendo’s online game store and sure enough the download button is greyed out and changed to “downloaded.”

Then I remembered that I bought it because I needed to see my dealer.
2-C27-CD47-0441-45-AA-A8-A9-BDEAB3-DF0-F99.jpg

Just 3D All Stars for now. Will be getting NSO Expansion Pack next week or so. I have a feeling I'll still prefer Galaxy or Odyssey to 64 though.

All of them. 😳

Gotta admit, I was a little embarrassed when I saw I was the first vote for it and thought I must be lying to everyone. So, I went to Nintendo’s online game store and sure enough the download button is greyed out and changed to “downloaded.”

Then I remembered that I bought it because I needed to see my dealer.
2-C27-CD47-0441-45-AA-A8-A9-BDEAB3-DF0-F99.jpg
Oh, I had completely forgotten about the mini games, they are great! I remember spending a lot of time with the one where you sort the red and black Bob-ombs to their own sections.

Oh, I had completely forgotten about the mini games, they are great! I remember spending a lot of time with the one where you sort the red and black Bob-ombs to their own sections.
Oh yeah, for sure! Definitely a good one!

By the way, this thread got the Super Mario 64 File Select song stuck in my head… which is an awesome way to start the day. So thanks for sending me down the right path today, juuso!

I bought them every time except for 64 DS on Wii U VC and 3D All Stars. And the joke is I haven't played the game since 64 DS over 10 years ago, I haven't even touched the VC release.

All of the above. In fact I own two physical carts for both the N64 release and SM64DS. That should make up for me not having an iQue Player.

I don't even particularly like the DS version as much, but i've still played a lot of it; mostly personal unrecorded speedruns or messing with SM64DSe. Here's how long i've played it on ONE of my 3DS systems (keep in mind that i've played it most on DS Lites that don't track playtime, and also have plenty of time on DeSmuME and Wii U VC).

RGTXa2J.png

Now imagine how much i've played the version of the game I like more, lol.

I had it on N64, but that was a birthday present and also I was five

I bought it myself on DS, Wii U, 3DAS and now NSO

NSO is my first time officially paying money for Mario 64.

I borrowed a DS back in high school to play it and had a neighbor with a 64, so those were my only other experiences aside from emulators.

The OG, DS and 3D All Stars.

OG is the one that served me better in the end.

I've played the original 64 release and the ds version, but I've never actually bought it. Always on a borrowed cart.

I'm glad to see the one person who bought Super Mario 64 DS on Wii U VC found their way to this thread
But I have thought about doing this...

Reminds me of a thread I made back on era about how many ways do you currently have to play Super Mario Bros. Turns out it’s a lot for most people. Mario is well connected.

3D All Star version to me. I would like get a copy of the original game, but I doubt would be my main way to play it even if I have a N64.

The U shape for me

Own the original, the DS remake, the 3d all stars port, and now the NSO version.

N64, DS (sold both of these when I was downsizing my collection), Wii VC, and 3DAS. Kind of embarrassing the Wii version is still handedly the best official rerelease but I guess nobody bothered to ask NST their secrets.

I'm surprised the DS on Wii U VC was so low, but given the other versions I can see it.

Being able to play DS games officially on a console was great, even with the little oddities to do so. I just wish Nintendo let the games be uprezzed just a little more.

As far as I am concerned, Nintendo's biggest innovations come in the form of the different ways they make me buy Super Mario 64 again and again (or just pay for it, let's not ignore subscription services!).
My sweet summer child... You've never seen their Super Mario Bros. releases if you think Super Mario 64 re-released are their biggest innovation! 😜

Played it originally on the Nintendo 64 and was thrilled to replay it with the 3D-All-Stars-Collection. Didn't feel the urge earlier since I was still angry with the one who deleted my 120 Star save file on my original hardware. I didn't get the NSO extension to play Mario 64 again, but I guess that still counts as paid :D

64 (twice), DS and Wii VC. And that's been plenty for me. Though I'll get the expansion pack if the deal eventually gets better.
I bought it on the N64 twice too. I had an opportunity to buy the 'Shindou' re-release version so jumped at the chance.

A used original, DS, Wii VC (though I believe I got it for free somehow), and 3D All Stars. I know I'll give in and get the expansion pass at some point.

I think it probably passed my copies of RE4 but OoT still has the most copies owned by me.

I wish 3DAS had gotten some upgraded version of DS knowing that 64 would come to NSO a bit later

I borrowed both SM64 and SM64 DS on original hardware so I never bought them. I did, however, buy SM64 on the Wii Virtual Console and SM3DAS. Technically, I do have NSO + Expansion Pack through a family plan on here but I don't count that as a SM64 purchase

The original is older than me lol

Super Mario 64 sold 11.91M. Super Mario 64 DS sold 11.06M.

I rented the original, so I did sorta paid for it. The first time I owned was the DS version though.

Back
Top Bottom