• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Which of these backlogged Switch games is most deserving of a second chance? What are your backlogged games in need of a second chance?

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
Like many of you, I have a pretty severe backlog. These backlogged games largely fall into 2 categories: Games that I started but never got around to completing, and games I never started to begin with. The latter may get its own thread down the line, but first, let's look at the games that I've started, why I abandoned them, and what is keeping me from jumping back in. They are roughly in order from least time spent playing to most.

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir

Famicom-Detective-Club-Story-1.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Played only long enough to get the initial scenario rolling. The story seemed intriguing and I'm curious about this game as a Nintendo historical piece. I also have the Girl Who Stands Behind, but have not even started it.

Why I stopped playing: I guess I just lost interest, meant to get back into it, and time kept on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future....

Why I would like to return: Visual Novel games have become a surprise enjoyment of mine, with The Great Ace Attorney being my current GOTY, and VA11-Hall-A also being a favorite.

Why I am hesitant to return: I feel like I'll undoubtedly feel compelled to play both games, and will likely want to start from the beginning.

Divinity Original Sin 2

ss_34a428cdd26113e8645b77331d9fc82fcc50a4a2.1920x1080.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Barely played more than an hour or two. Don't really remember too much.

Why I stopped playing: The mechanics seemed a bit overwhelming initially, and I wasn't immediately gripped by the scenario.

Why I would like to return: I hear nothing but good things about this game overall, and I feel like it could scratch my D&D itch.

Why I am hesitant to return: Feels like a big commitment should I get sucked in.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

screenshot02.0.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Put a decent amount of time into it, found the levels and gameplay charming and enjoyable.

Why I stopped playing: As polished and good as the game felt, it didn't quite give me the same satisfaction that a Mario or Donkey Kong would, and the game's own hooks weren't enough to keep me interested.

Why I would like to return: I love 2D platforms, am unlikely to get a new one in this style for some time, and the game seems like it has a lot more to offer.

Why I am hesitant to return: I still kind of feel like this game is a poor man's Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (probably a biased and ignorant view but hey I'm human), and without the investment in these characters and world, I'm not sure I'll be motivated to keep playing rather than just replaying a more familiar 2D platformer.

Wofenstein II: The New Colossus and Doom 2016

POb066A6ZKwWVLmSD0noJ1Xb.png

Initial playthrough experience: Played a good amount of both, and have started Doom 2016 several times on many different platforms. Great gameplay and surprisingly great ports on Switch

Why I stopped playing: FPS games aren't especially my jam. Wolfenstein had a good narrative and felt good to play, but just didn't hold my attention. Doom I feel like I hit the halfway point in (was doing stuff in Hell and whatnot), but like with other consoles, I took a break and wasn't hyped to return. I also have Doom on PC, and through Game Pass on Xbox, so it might be better to continue on those platforms.

Why I would like to return: I feel that, despite my aversion to FPS, I should keep pushing to expand my gaming vocabulary. I genuinely did enjoy these games, especially Doom which is a joy to play and so impressive visually.

Why I am hesitant to return: I'm not particularly invested in Wolfenstein as a series, even though I liked what I had played so far. I'm not that hesitant about jumping back into Doom, there's just a lot of other games out there and it always seems just below the next game up in priority.

Snake Pass

Snake-Pass-Earth-Screenshot-.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I very nearly completed the game in the early Switch days and found it to be one of the most interesting takes on the platformer out there.

Why I stopped playing: My nephew accidentally erased my progress.

Why I would like to return: I liked and respected this game quite a bit, and feel I owe myself closure.

Why I am hesitant to return: The game is a bit samey throughout and playing through it all again gives me pause.

Starlink: Battle for Atlas

starlink.png

Initial playthrough experience: Several hours played, story seemed pretty intriguing, but face it, I was here for Star Fox.

Why I stopped playing: It was an early Switch title and more interesting things came along.

Why I would like to return: It's the closest to a new Star Fox game I'm likely to get any time soon, and content has been added since. It's also kind of a curiosity now, since the game is largely abandoned it feels, and it might be fun to just check out what might have been as this felt like an ambitious project.

Why I am hesitant to return: It just really doesn't feel like a "Must Play" to me.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Final-Fantasy-XII-The-Zodiac-Age

Initial playthrough experience: Played through what seemed to be the introductory/Tutorial section. It was pretty lengthy, but I stopped after the rogueish guy and bunny lady joined the party.

Why I stopped playing: I seem to have this inexplicable block when it comes to Final Fantasy. Despite having a pretty good time with games like Xenoblade 1 and 2, Dragon Quest, and Persona 4, for whatever reason, I can never get past the first few hours of a Final Fantasy without losing interest, and I don't know why. Maybe someday I'll break the curse. This game seemed like a good candidate to do so, but alas here it sits in my backlog.

Why I would like to return: I feel I need to exercise that Final Fantasy demon someday, especially as I otherwise enjoy JRPGs, even other Square Enix JRPGs. I'd really like to see why everyone enjoys this series so much. It's just...

Why I am hesitant to return: .... so hard for me to stay interested in them for whatever reason. Like, it's almost a curse at this point.

L.A. Noire

ss_3703f2cc34090a0aa6e7f52e1831fdfad01d71ee.1920x1080.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I've played this a bit on both Switch and PC, and feel like I've maybe played like half of the game? Enjoyed the detective, puzzle solving aspects, and really do appreciate how it's like a more chill version of a GTA mechanically.

Why I stopped playing: Not sure really, at least on my initial PC playthrough. On Switch I think I ran into some pretty severe audio bugs. It's possible that if I pick it back up, it might be on PC instead.

Why I would like to return: Having recently come off The Great Ace Attorney, I feel like this could scratch my detective bug itch.

Why I am hesitant to return: I feel like this is one I might be better off restarting after so long, and I'm not sure if it's so captivating that I feel the need to replay so match, having already done the first half twice over.

Valkyria Chronicles 4

large.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I picked this up on a whim since the collector's edition was on sale and found myself really enjoying it. I found the characters fun, and the gameplay is unique and scratches this strategy itch that I feel like I enjoyed in the mid-2000s and haven't had anything feel quite the same way since.

Why I stopped playing: I think I hit a hard mission that caused me to take a break, and I just never got back into after that. It was maybe midway through the game, and the story really seemed to be picking up.

Why I would like to return: This is one I'm probably feeling most eager to revisit, even if it means restarting from the beginning to refamiliarize myself with it. Again, it just kind of scratches an itch that I can't describe. The alternative World War I scenario is also really unique and appeals to me.

Why I am hesitant to return: I'm worried about hitting that wall again and just falling off.

Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin

EmeuFvGU4AInmgO.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I played this pretty steadily for a couple weeks, and really enjoyed the loop of platforming and farm simulation. The game also has a lot of charm.

Why I stopped playing: I think this is a case where the game didn't really do anything wrong, other things just game out that took priority, and now it's been so long I'm a little intimidated about going back.

Why I would like to return: The game is very unique and it's one I feel like I could jump back into fairly easily.

Why I am hesitant to return: The game does get a little samey in its loop over time, though potentially I just haven't reached some of the more plot shaking developments.

Astral Chain

01_arm_00_m48bg5ay-660x370.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Made a pretty good amount of progress, maybe like half the story content or more. Fun and unique combat, full of platinum goodness. I also like the setting and story quite a bit.

Why I stopped playing: Another case where it just fell by the way side as more appealing games took up my time.

Why I would like to return: I liked a lot about this game, and know that Platinum Games tend to be especially enjoyable as you approach the end game.

Why I am hesitant to return: I feel like I never especially mastered the mechanics and jumping back in now feels daunting to me.

Dragon Quest Builders 2

0024454_dragon-quest-builders-2-hotto-stuff-pack-eu-nintendo-switch.jpeg

Initial playthrough experience: Played through the first main chapter on the farming island, and a bit onto the next island.

Why I stopped playing: This feels like a game I have to be in a specific mood in order to play. I could see myself binging an island at a time, and then leaving it cold for a few months or longer.

Why I would like to return: I'm really growing to love the dragon quest charm in general, and I'm sure there's a lot more to love about this game I haven't gotten to yet.

Why I am hesitant to return: Just not currently in the mood to, I guess.

Bonus: Games I feel I've "finished" but have additional content I have not tackled

Octopath Traveler: Finished the character stories and 3/4 of the secret super job bosses, but haven't yet tackled the big final post game boss
Pokemon Sword: basically stopped after becoming champion, didn't do any post game content
Dragon Quest XI S: Finished Act 2, was relatively satisfied, but haven't gotten around to finishing Act 3. This is probably debatable as having been "finished".
Celeste: Never got around to finishing the Farewell DLC chapter.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: Never got around to finishing Future Connected.

Anyway, this was probably a long read if you bothered to read at all (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't), but feel free to share your own unfinished backlogged games.

Last edited:
Initial playthrough experience: Played through what seemed to be the introductory/Tutorial section. It was pretty lengthy, but I stopped after the rogueish guy and bunny lady joined the party.
That's literally where the game begins to get good. I actually keep an extra save file there (specifically, at the Nabudis dungeon) because when I replay the game, I like to start at that point.

I quite enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles 4, of your big ones I would put my vote behind that one. Very fun tactical game, and a worthy successor to the original. It's a shame it didn't sell better.

If you have access to the Pokemon Sword DLC that's worth playing through, the new areas are great and they each have their own questlines. I particularly liked Crown Tundra's main quest.

Last edited:
You should finish the Celeste Farewell DLC. I have never felt more accomplished in my life beating a game as I did when finishing that. Extremely difficult, yes, but well worth the struggle.

Astral Chain. Its the Platinum game that took the longest to click with me, but when it did its so good.

Final Fantasy XII as well. The game is somewhat grindy, but with the function to speed up traversal and battles it’s really good. Plus I like the world and cast of the game. It is the last truly great Final Fantasy game.

(I still like FF XV and XIII-2 as well)

I finished The Missing Heir and i really liked it, it definitely deserves a chance. The Girl Who Stands Behind is still in my backlog, though. I thought about coming back to it, but it would probably be best to start it over. As for my own backlog, Bayonetta and Astral Chain were there for some months and i've decided to play them again. Finished Bayo 1 and now i'm back to Astral Chain and loving it. Xenoblade 2 is a game i still can't decide if i come back to it or not. I thought it was quite disappointing on my first run, especially after playing XCDE. I'll probably just play Torna because of the multiple positive opinions i read about it.

I finished The Missing Heir and i really liked it, it definitely deserves a chance. The Girl Who Stands Behind is still in my backlog, though. I thought about coming back to it, but it would probably be best to start it over. As for my own backlog, Bayonetta and Astral Chain were there for some months and i've decided to play them again. Finished Bayo 1 and now i'm back to Astral Chain and loving it. Xenoblade 2 is a game i still can't decide if i come back to it or not. I thought it was quite disappointing on my first run, especially after playing XCDE. I'll probably just play Torna because of the multiple positive opinions i read about it.
I had an experience with Xenoblade 1 back on the Wii where it initially lost me in the early game, then after months I restarted and pushed through to around the first Telethia fight, and then fell off again for a few months. Once I picked it back up, I played through to the end.

How far in Xenoblade 2 did you get? It’s a bit up and down in the first half, but the second half is why it’s one of my favorite games of all time. I’d also highly advise against playing Torna as a stand-alone, its story works very well as a compliment to the main game, but without that context it won’t hit in the same way (it also assumes you’ve played the main game and so doesn’t explain some things to the extent you might expect as a stand-alone).

Well I thought this would be a clear win for DOS 2 when I reached that but Astral Chain is also a great choice. My vote goes to either of those

For my own personal backlog I should probably go back to Origami King at some point, and there's a lot of post game content I haven't done in a couple games (Astral Chain, DQ XI, Octopath)

Out of all, Astral Chain and Divinity 2 definitely need a second chance. Both games get better as you play. Divinity, especially sucks you in more you get used to its different battle system and there are just much to do in that game.

Playing FF12 for the first time and really enjoying it, 4X speed is a godsend, I can’t imagine how some of y’all played it without that back then

Really starting to get a grasp on the gambit and license system and seeing how it could be incredibly addicting. Was kinda obsessing over what I should make all my characters second jobs be, seems like everyone has a different opinion when i looked it up!

For the bonus games, I would recommend you don't finish Act III of DQXI. It would have been one of my favorite games of all time had I stopped after Act II, but Act III was such a slog that now I consider it just a good game. It's one of the first games that comes to mind when I think of games that overstayed their welcome for me.

Octopath Traveler true final boss is probably another one you can skip. The final dungeon does help to connect the stories of each traveler, but it's a long ass dungeon that makes you have to start over from the beginning if you get a game over. Had I not already been spoiled enough on the boss at the end to know how to arrange my parties, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Doom 2016. It’s not very long and it’s well worth your time.

Astral Chain. As the story goes on and the stakes get higher it’s really great. One of Platinum’s best of all time.

You can probably skip Yooka Laylee

I’d say FFXII! The opening hours are a little slow for sure, especially because the game makes you purchase gambits, the little pieces of scripting you use to build out behaviours. It’s one of the only things I don’t like about the game!

Once you get going though, holy moly is it good. One of my personal faves! The Zodiac Age edition really improves on how you can build out your character, and there’s something about that world that just hits me every time. And yes, the fast forwarding is super handy; some of those zones are pretty dang big!

Out of your list I'd say Doom / Wolfenstein, since they're not that long, and once you've knocked them out it might feel easier to get to your other games. Anytime I feel myself falling off a game, before I drop it I always try lowering the difficulty if combat / grind was my main issue. It might help to try that since FPSs don't seem like your thing (and while Wolfenstein is a great game, it has several frustrating sections).

For me, FFXIV is the big one. Stopped near the end of shadowbringers, haven't found time to get back to it. I can't say I really liked it as much as the masterpiece it's hyped up to be, but maybe because of that it deserves another go, with endwalker wrapping up the story.

Bloodborne's probably my second biggest one, but I probably won't touch it now since Elden Ring is so close.

Omg, this thread just game me a jolt.

I have over 100 games in my backlog, some with up to 10 hours or so and never gotten back to. 😳

LOL
Of the ones you've listed which I own, I haven't finished any either.

Not Switch, but for me I got about 3 hours into Nier Automata and couldn't really get into it. I like the general vibes and story direction, but the gameplay loop was pretty unsatisfying. I definitely would like to give it another go, but I was going through a lot of stuff back then so it was hard to focus.

Not Switch, but for me I got about 3 hours into Nier Automata and couldn't really get into it. I like the general vibes and story direction, but the gameplay loop was pretty unsatisfying. I definitely would like to give it another go, but I was going through a lot of stuff back then so it was hard to focus.
It might help to play NieR Replicant first. It has a pretty similarly intriguing story and setting but is paced a bit differently to gradually open up. It does the whole multiple endings thing the series is famous for, so be prepared to replay things, but in general the additional layers add to the intrigue and depth of the narrative.

Having said that, I actually really like how Automata is paced. I never really worried about grinding, and it felt like every story episode was about an hour long, so in the first route, the first 10 hours or so felt like what would be 30 hours of content in another game.

I really, really, really recommend Doom 2016 and Final Fantasy XII; however, you didn't seem thrilled by the first one and barely scratched the surface of the second one. They don't particularly seem like your kind of games from what you mention.

I've played a short bit of Astral Chain at a friend's house and was very impressed. If this the game from these mentioned that most vibed with you, I guess would be one to come back and tackle.

Otherwise, just focus on playing whatever makes you have fun. You aren't ever going to finish every single game you've started, so might at well stick to the ones who gripped you until the end.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is definitely worth finishing. It is one of those games where you may have to cheese a few mechanics. A few of the missions are tough.

LA Noire has a good story, if a cynical one. I am hard pressed to say I enjoyed it but it definitely was a cinematic experience.

Restarting Valkyria Chronicles 4 for now. Might try to work my way through this list as a project for next year.

I think Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair does some genuinely interesting and new things with its overworld puzzles and the changes you make to the levels through those. It's not as complex as a 2D Zelda dungeon, but it does scratch the same itch.

I'll admit I wasn't initially hooked by the game and felt similarly that it's just a worse Tropical Freeze. But it really grew on me, and in the end I even 100%'ed it (which is quite rare for me!). I think it's a great game and well worth returning to.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is a tough game to start. There are a lot of mechanics and things you can do, and out of the things you can do like 90% are a bad idea. But once things click and you start finding the good ideas, the game feels so good.

If you're struggling in the tutorial area, I think it's okay to just check out some guide. That should give you some ideas on how the game can be played, and once the real adventure begins yoou can build from there and experiment. It's a wonderful adventure and, despite the rather rough looks and performance on Switch, one of my most played games on the platform.

Final Fantasy XII and Valkyria Chronicles 4 are the big two to play imo. FFXII is odd in that it isn’t really representative of the rest of the Final Fantasy games, but it’s probably my second favorite one. That world was just extra impressive on PS2 at the time and the journey through it is awesome. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is also super great. There are a lot of hard missions in the game and I got stuck on the very last mission which is extra hard to the point I wanted to look up some strategies. Even just a quick glance lead me to believe I really wasn’t taking advantage of everything I had access to. In particular, combat orders are devastating. If you run into a wall, try issuing an order or two or…much more is what I learned. I think I issued five in one turn to two shot the final boss lol.

I think Xenoblade Future Connected is well worth playing if you liked Xenoblade and want to ultimately play Xenoblade 3. If you don’t know the leaked premise of Xenoblade 3, I’d try to play it before it is officially announced.

My own Switch backlog is immense. When I have some time I’m torn between playing Gnosia, Fuga, or Dungeon Encounters next.

Out of these, I'd still recommend returning to Famicom Detective Club first. Neither of the games are very long, so you can finish them quickly and then move onto your other games. It helps that they're both great, though The Girl Who Stands Behind is my favorite of the two.

I've played three of these and I have less-than-positive things to say about all three.

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Hier is an extremely basic visual novel adventure game. It's neat to play for historical reasons, but it's been eclipsed by more modern stuff like Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, Zero Escape, DanganRonpa, and AI many times over. The characters lack any semblance of a personality and the twists aren't very fun, interesting, or surprising.

Every individual part of LA Noire is, on its own, kinda bad. The driving feels bad, the shooting feels like a mediocre 360 game, the detective stuff doesn't really work as well as other detective games. I wanted to say it comes together to form something that's more than the sum of its parts, and it sorta does, but the truth is the sum of its parts is bad and the "more than" part makes it merely mediocre to decent. Nothing else I've played really feels like LA Noire, but it can be an exercise in frustration and the pacing is absolute dogshit, dropping plot threads on seemingly whims.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 was fun for the like 10 hours I played it, but I dropped it after having not made it very far. If you want "MineCraft with more clear objectives and more traditional game-y elements" it's probably great, and I enjoyed it for a short time, but I dropped it because I knew I'd end up getting bored with how damn repetitive everything in it is. I also do not like forging out for specific materials and DQB2 requires that you do a ton of that.

I had an experience with Xenoblade 1 back on the Wii where it initially lost me in the early game, then after months I restarted and pushed through to around the first Telethia fight, and then fell off again for a few months. Once I picked it back up, I played through to the end.

How far in Xenoblade 2 did you get? It’s a bit up and down in the first half, but the second half is why it’s one of my favorite games of all time. I’d also highly advise against playing Torna as a stand-alone, its story works very well as a compliment to the main game, but without that context it won’t hit in the same way (it also assumes you’ve played the main game and so doesn’t explain some things to the extent you might expect as a stand-alone).

Hmm ok. I'm still playing chapter 4 in Xenoblade 2, so i presume the best part of the game is still yet to come. I've read some very good opinions on Torna, even coming from people who didn't play Xeno 2 to the end, so i thought it could work as a stand-alone, but maybe it's best if i insist on the main game as far as i can.

Of all the games I have in my backlog, I want to return to Valkyria Chronicles 4 (bought the collector's edition, but played roughly 10 hours), Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Dragon's Dogma and Blaster Master Zero 3.

I'm also considering to continue Hollow Knight, but it has to many gameplay walls for my liking.

Huh, I have the same issue as you when it comes to Final Fantasy. For some reason, despite loving Jrpgs, I can't get progress FF and this has happened with FF7 and 12. I just stopped...

In terms of recommendation, I would vote Astral Chain as the combat is addictingly good. Amazing style, graphics and despite a cliche story, it has over the top Platinum cutscenes.

If not Astral Chain, I would recommend Valkyria Chronicles 4. It took me awhile but after 100%ing it, I fell in love with the characters and story. It's honestly good.

Another reason as to why I recommend these 2 games is length. Astral Chain story is about 15 hours long and 20-25 hours long if you do all the quests. And if you want more, there is insane amount of post game content and replay value which goes up to 100+ hours. But you can leave it at 20 hours.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is also similar. About 20-30 hours long but it took me 50ish hours as I was doing every single thing and 100% it.

In other words, if you just play the story in both games only, they are both about 20 hours long.

Valkyria Chronicles 4
It’s an awesome game. I’m so thirsty for more Valkyria, I hope Ican forget this game so I can replay it. Loved it, looks great on Switch.

I fell off DQ XI toward the end of Act II. (I've just been glossing over guides to refresh my memory.) I have been meaning to go back to it for months. My partner fared a little better and I believe managed to get to Act III. Both of us started to feel like the game became a slog but maybe we both played too much too quickly. I always find big JRPGs difficult to get back into once you've left them for a long time.

Absolutely give VC4 another shot. Have you played the original? I initially dismissed the originally when I got it in a Humble Bundle for Steam. Years later I bought it in a sale on Switch and it's definitely in my top 5 Switch games. Eventually I'll pick up VC4 in another sale.

Out of your backlog, OP, I feel like those most worthy of getting back to are DOOM and Wolfenstein. DOOM is a better game, and I think a better switch port over all (though I enjoyed Wolfenstein 2 a lot). I think that the gameplay loop on DOOM is fantastic, and it is short enough that you can probably get it off your backlog in a few sessions. Astral Chain is an amazing game, too.

FWIW, I had the same issue with Yooka Laylee (it felt like an off-brand platformer) and Sakuna and never ended up finishing them. A shame, but I think I've played as much as I need to with those.

My backlog is made up of:

DQ XI S - Bought it at the beginning of the pandemic thinking it would be the best RPG for the lockdown and ended up falling off hard. I like the game enough, but got distracted by Void Bastards and some other games and eventually fell off.

Undertale - I was into it, but then I ate a massive spoiler that affects how I want to engage with the game, so I don't think I will have a great experience going back to it now that I know. It's a shame because I really liked the couple of hours I played it.

Axiom Verge - Always felt off to me, which is weird because it should be totally my kind of game. I feel like I've started it 3 or 4 times and never got past the first hour.

Luigi's Mansion 3 - I bought this and Astral Chain almost at the same time and well... Astral Chain was more my kind of game at that time.

Like many of you, I have a pretty severe backlog. These backlogged games largely fall into 2 categories: Games that I started but never got around to completing, and games I never started to begin with. The latter may get its own thread down the line, but first, let's look at the games that I've started, why I abandoned them, and what is keeping me from jumping back in. They are roughly in order from least time spent playing to most.

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir

Famicom-Detective-Club-Story-1.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Played only long enough to get the initial scenario rolling. The story seemed intriguing and I'm curious about this game as a Nintendo historical piece. I also have the Girl Who Stands Behind, but have not even started it.

Why I stopped playing: I guess I just lost interest, meant to get back into it, and time kept on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future....

Why I would like to return: Visual Novel games have become a surprise enjoyment of mine, with The Great Ace Attorney being my current GOTY, and VA11-Hall-A also being a favorite.

Why I am hesitant to return: I feel like I'll undoubtedly feel compelled to play both games, and will likely want to start from the beginning.

Divinity Original Sin 2

ss_34a428cdd26113e8645b77331d9fc82fcc50a4a2.1920x1080.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Barely played more than an hour or two. Don't really remember too much.

Why I stopped playing: The mechanics seemed a bit overwhelming initially, and I wasn't immediately gripped by the scenario.

Why I would like to return: I hear nothing but good things about this game overall, and I feel like it could scratch my D&D itch.

Why I am hesitant to return: Feels like a big commitment should I get sucked in.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

screenshot02.0.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Put a decent amount of time into it, found the levels and gameplay charming and enjoyable.

Why I stopped playing: As polished and good as the game felt, it didn't quite give me the same satisfaction that a Mario or Donkey Kong would, and the game's own hooks weren't enough to keep me interested.

Why I would like to return: I love 2D platforms, am unlikely to get a new one in this style for some time, and the game seems like it has a lot more to offer.

Why I am hesitant to return: I still kind of feel like this game is a poor man's Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (probably a biased and ignorant view but hey I'm human), and without the investment in these characters and world, I'm not sure I'll be motivated to keep playing rather than just replaying a more familiar 2D platformer.

Wofenstein II: The New Colossus and Doom 2016

POb066A6ZKwWVLmSD0noJ1Xb.png

Initial playthrough experience: Played a good amount of both, and have started Doom 2016 several times on many different platforms. Great gameplay and surprisingly great ports on Switch

Why I stopped playing: FPS games aren't especially my jam. Wolfenstein had a good narrative and felt good to play, but just didn't hold my attention. Doom I feel like I hit the halfway point in (was doing stuff in Hell and whatnot), but like with other consoles, I took a break and wasn't hyped to return. I also have Doom on PC, and through Game Pass on Xbox, so it might be better to continue on those platforms.

Why I would like to return: I feel that, despite my aversion to FPS, I should keep pushing to expand my gaming vocabulary. I genuinely did enjoy these games, especially Doom which is a joy to play and so impressive visually.

Why I am hesitant to return: I'm not particularly invested in Wolfenstein as a series, even though I liked what I had played so far. I'm not that hesitant about jumping back into Doom, there's just a lot of other games out there and it always seems just below the next game up in priority.

Snake Pass

Snake-Pass-Earth-Screenshot-.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I very nearly completed the game in the early Switch days and found it to be one of the most interesting takes on the platformer out there.

Why I stopped playing: My nephew accidentally erased my progress.

Why I would like to return: I liked and respected this game quite a bit, and feel I owe myself closure.

Why I am hesitant to return: The game is a bit samey throughout and playing through it all again gives me pause.

Starlink: Battle for Atlas

starlink.png

Initial playthrough experience: Several hours played, story seemed pretty intriguing, but face it, I was here for Star Fox.

Why I stopped playing: It was an early Switch title and more interesting things came along.

Why I would like to return: It's the closest to a new Star Fox game I'm likely to get any time soon, and content has been added since. It's also kind of a curiosity now, since the game is largely abandoned it feels, and it might be fun to just check out what might have been as this felt like an ambitious project.

Why I am hesitant to return: It just really doesn't feel like a "Must Play" to me.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Final-Fantasy-XII-The-Zodiac-Age

Why I stopped playing: I seem to have this inexplicable block when it comes to Final Fantasy. Despite having a pretty good time with games like Xenoblade 1 and 2, Dragon Quest, and Persona 4, for whatever reason, I can never get past the first few hours of a Final Fantasy without losing interest, and I don't know why. Maybe someday I'll break the curse. This game seemed like a good candidate to do so, but alas here it sits in my backlog.

Why I would like to return: I feel I need to exercise that Final Fantasy demon someday, especially as I otherwise enjoy JRPGs, even other Square Enix JRPGs. I'd really like to see why everyone enjoys this series so much. It's just...

Why I am hesitant to return: .... so hard for me to stay interested in them for whatever reason. Like, it's almost a curse at this point.

L.A. Noire

ss_3703f2cc34090a0aa6e7f52e1831fdfad01d71ee.1920x1080.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I've played this a bit on both Switch and PC, and feel like I've maybe played like half of the game? Enjoyed the detective, puzzle solving aspects, and really do appreciate how it's like a more chill version of a GTA mechanically.

Why I stopped playing: Not sure really, at least on my initial PC playthrough. On Switch I think I ran into some pretty severe audio bugs. It's possible that if I pick it back up, it might be on PC instead.

Why I would like to return: Having recently come off The Great Ace Attorney, I feel like this could scratch my detective bug itch.

Why I am hesitant to return: I feel like this is one I might be better off restarting after so long, and I'm not sure if it's so captivating that I feel the need to replay so match, having already done the first half twice over.

Valkyria Chronicles 4

large.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I picked this up on a whim since the collector's edition was on sale and found myself really enjoying it. I found the characters fun, and the gameplay is unique and scratches this strategy itch that I feel like I enjoyed in the mid-2000s and haven't had anything feel quite the same way since.

Why I stopped playing: I think I hit a hard mission that caused me to take a break, and I just never got back into after that. It was maybe midway through the game, and the story really seemed to be picking up.

Why I would like to return: This is one I'm probably feeling most eager to revisit, even if it means restarting from the beginning to refamiliarize myself with it. Again, it just kind of scratches an itch that I can't describe. The alternative World War I scenario is also really unique and appeals to me.

Why I am hesitant to return: I'm worried about hitting that wall again and just falling off.

Sakuna: of Rice and Ruin

EmeuFvGU4AInmgO.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: I played this pretty steadily for a couple weeks, and really enjoyed the loop of platforming and farm simulation. The game also has a lot of charm.

Why I stopped playing: I think this is a case where the game didn't really do anything wrong, other things just game out that took priority, and now it's been so long I'm a little intimidated about going back.

Why I would like to return: The game is very unique and it's one I feel like I could jump back into fairly easily.

Why I am hesitant to return: The game does get a little samey in its loop over time, though potentially I just haven't reached some of the more plot shaking developments.

Astral Chain

01_arm_00_m48bg5ay-660x370.jpg

Initial playthrough experience: Made a pretty good amount of progress, maybe like half the story content or more. Fun and unique combat, full of platinum goodness. I also like the setting and story quite a bit.

Why I stopped playing: Another case where it just fell by the way side as more appealing games took up my time.

Why I would like to return: I liked a lot about this game, and know that Platinum Games tend to be especially enjoyable as you approach the end game.

Why I am hesitant to return: I feel like I never especially mastered the mechanics and jumping back in now feels daunting to me.

Dragon Quest Builders 2

0024454_dragon-quest-builders-2-hotto-stuff-pack-eu-nintendo-switch.jpeg

Initial playthrough experience: Played through the first main chapter on the farming island, and a bit onto the next island.

Why I stopped playing: This feels like a game I have to be in a specific mood in order to play. I could see myself binging an island at a time, and then leaving it cold for a few months or longer.

Why I would like to return: I'm really growing to love the dragon quest charm in general, and I'm sure there's a lot more to love about this game I haven't gotten to yet.

Why I am hesitant to return: Just not currently in the mood to, I guess.

Bonus: Games I feel I've "finished" but have additional content I have not tackled

Octopath Traveler: Finished the character stories and 3/4 of the secret super job bosses, but haven't yet tackled the big final post game boss
Pokemon Sword: basically stopped after becoming champion, didn't do any post game content
Dragon Quest XI S: Finished Act 2, was relatively satisfied, but haven't gotten around to finishing Act 3. This is probably debatable as having been "finished".
Celeste: Never got around to finishing the Farewell DLC chapter.
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: Never got around to finishing Future Connected.

Anyway, this was probably a long read if you bothered to read at all (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't), but feel free to share your own unfinished backlogged games.

The games I've played on your lists are FDC:TMH, LA Noire, Octopath and Pokemon SWSH. I can heartily recommend giving both the first two a second chance (I enjoyed them both immensely) and I personally enjoyed 100%-ing Pokémon Shield but I did not go all the way with Octopath. I loved a lot of the optional content but some of the last few missions got into the territory of being too difficult to be fun for me, personally.

I left Starlink too. There's a good game in there somewhere, but the open-world grind got to me.

Snake Pass, Doom, DQ:XIS and Yooka Laylee all are owed a return by me too. Though, I'll probably Switch over to Xbox Cloud for Doom since image quality on Switch is a bit poor.

For the OP i can say this:

I also didn't finish Snake Pass and L.A. Noire and felt good anyway.

Snake Pass is a cool tech demo, but once you try those mechanics of controlling the snake, that's the whole game. Not much in terms of progression with gameplay and story.

L.A. Noire i got frustrated by some of the results based on facial expressions, game has always had problems with the three choices not being super clear where they stand. Super cool the 50s atmosphere, and i might come back just to see that ending (that is supposedly super lame) but yeah the game has problems.

Dragon Quest XI S: The 3rd act is not a post game, the credits ending is a fake-out and you really want to continue. Now warning, the game gets more difficult and grindy by that point if you've played on normal so beware. There's lots of cool stuff there, even with the added stories and past worlds and i recommend to go through that but it's very different from the rest of the game and you might want to look for good locations to farm metal slimes for easier grinding.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: While Future Connected story doesn't reach the same heights of the base game, there is still a lot to enjoy there, worth checking if you plan to play more of this franchise.

Back
Top Bottom