• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Where should the next Zelda game be set?

Where should the next Zelda game be set?

• Reimagined Hyrule with next gen factor to keep it fresh

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • Futuristic Hyrule with Midgar like setting

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • New Hyrule from Spirit Tracks

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other past world - Koholint Island, Termina, The Great Sea

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Completely new world

Votes: 63 50.4%

• Total voters

YolkFolk

Tingle
It has been a while since we had a 3D Zelda game set somewhere other than Hyrule. Having spent so much time there with BotW and now currently with TotK, would you be happy to stay there for the next game or would you like to explore somewhere new?

We’ve seen Hyrule reimagined various times with the next gen power always managing to make it feel fresh but I do feel now like somewhere new with different races would be quite exciting and bring about that feeling of exploring the unknown again.

No TotK spoilers please.

Last edited:
I do not think this has any real chance of happening, but I would love if they re-explored the Minish concept. I think it would translate really well into a modern PBR based 3D game.

Do a sort of 'retro future' which feels like a jump forward Hyrule but is closer to our past, like Legend of Korra's setting. Some big towns and cities, and a rail network you help set up for fast travel. Smaller settlements that are less advanced and where maybe people are struggling with and resisting the shock of the new. Big mid-game twist where you discover a portal to the game's second map, New Koholint. Incredibly upsetting side quest chain where Hylians and New Koholint inhabitants start migrating between worlds and building relationships and partnerships with each other, and the inevitable (or not!) conclusion to that.

I feel like they're going to stick with the same Link/Zelda from BOTW/TOTK for a while. I just have a feeling. If that's the case, it should be a new world somewhere.

Needs to be a new world imo. I’m less concerned about reusing this Link and Zelda but I would prefer something entirely new. I just need a different world map next time.

I don't know how totk ends, but I imagine there's room for one more game with the same Link & Zelda, where they travel to an entire new world.

It should be set in space with the new Hyrule being a space station. We discover Samus is the reincarnation of both Zelda and Link and must take on Ganon, the new leader of the Space Pirates, in The Legend Of Zelda: Metroid Prime 4. #ZonaiSuitSamus

Last edited:
I'd love to have some kind of Midgar hi-tech city setting, with more open-world nature areas beyond the city.
But I'm pretty sure we're not getting this. Zelda town settings are always very basic.

I'm kinda interested in seeing a game (spin off?) set in the time of
Rauru/Sonia.
Good chances we may get an Age of Calamity sequel? I'd be into that.

EDIT: "Age of Upheaval" sounds good to be fair.

Last edited:
Given that Aonuma officially stated that the BotW/TotK blueprint is the new formula moving forward, I wonder if they will keep a more consistent continuity as a result and start exploring regions outside of Hyrule (since they cannot keep using the same map over and over). It really seems like they are trying to create a new and more consistent world, with the old timeline serving as more of a collection of “historically inaccurate” legends of events that happened in the past of this hyrule, but details were lost to time (which is why all three timeline’s events are present, but nothing adds up 1:1).

We already have existing lands that could be explored, such as Holodrum and Labrynna, and we could explore even more beyond that in due time. As for features, it will likely be something other than the building we see in TotK in favor of something new. The open world formula started with BotW is the new blueprint, similar to OoT durings its time, and how we interact with said world will be what changes.

As for what specifically I would like to see…I don’t fully know. I am hoping we venture into the surrounding Kingdoms in future games though.

Not knowing how TotK ends, I’d love a continuation of the current timeline with this iteration of Link and Zelda leaving Hyrule and going to a different land, something like a merged Labrynna and Holodrum with the Zora Seas to the south or inbetween. They could bring back some of the enemy types and races but make them distinct from their Hyrule counterparts, like salt water Zoras etc.

A brand new world would be my choice but have Hyrule return as the starting area and make it a hub world that you return to over the course of the game.

Said this in the other thread, but multiple large continents, each with their own ecosystems, races, etc, along with a number of smaller islands. All spread throughout a fully explorable ocean.

Not quite Wind Waker, but it’d scratch a similar itch for people while simultaneously allowing for multiple unique locations, without having to worry about joining them together in a way that makes sense.

Last edited:
It might already BE new Hyrule, so I'd strike that.

I wouldn't mind Lorule or Holodrum, personally, but an all new map would probably be best.

I think revisiting the hyrule from Oot and Lttp but perhaps decades after those games and in Botw open world format would be very interesting.

I would love an open sea with big continents, island chains, undersea architecture and you can throw in weird strange ocean patterns too, like gigantic whirlpools, geysers, huge swells that don’t seem to go down. I think there’s a lot of creativity that could happen there. And if they focus the abilities and traversal on water they could make it fun to move through the water.

I also thought maybe they could have a densely packed sort of like city/population center that’s not the full size of BotW’s world but then also allow you to shrink down to Minish size and have the map expand greatly in size and recontextualize the world around you. It could have a big focus on character schedules/side quests/interactions in a similar way to Majora’s Mask.

Even though I’m enjoying revisiting the surface in this game I definitely don’t want to see any of this map in a third game. I’m sure they could find ways to make new discoveries and exploration exciting, but I want new biomes/cultures/histories/etc.

I do realize now my 2 ideas above are kind of just revisiting older concepts in the series, but the new format of BotW/TotK are so exciting to me I’d love to see them go back and revisit some of their older ideas with the new passion/outlook/concepts of the open air games.

I would love an open sea with big continents, island chains, undersea architecture and you can throw in weird strange ocean patterns too, like gigantic whirlpools, geysers, huge swells that don’t seem to go down. I think there’s a lot of creativity that could happen there. And if they focus the abilities and traversal on water they could make it fun to move through the water.
This is what I imagine too, and water/elemental based physics and undersea/oversea navigation seems like a very natural evolution after TOTK. EPD seems very intent on creating worlds that change around the player and require a new level of adaptable problem solving. Undersea areas or islands that rise to the surface and fall into the sea, that move throughout the map with changing tides (being controlled by the moon-which is already a series staple), perhaps changing based on their position in the world, would create a whole new layer of complexity and immersion that few open world games have attempted.

Outer Wilds does something similar with its dynamic planets/biomes that would be really clever to see Zelda implement.

Wind Waker remains one of the only entries that never felt as if the full potential of its concept has been realized. Revisiting the idea of Wind Waker in a new world, rather than returning to the Great Sea specifically, seems very on brand for a team that’s finally fulfilled the initial promise of Skyward Sword.

I will echo the idea for ships, oceans, islands, and more Wind-Waker-y type locations, but done in the BOTW style. I was thinking something like Zelda 2 with two large continents with a big ocean in between, but they could do pretty much any combination of land and sea and I'll be happy. It just feels like sea/sailing is something that hasn't been done yet, at least not in the new open world style.

I would prefer it to be a brand-new world with a brand-new Link/Zelda/etc., though.

Echoing the nautical Zelda idea. Feels like it has a lot of potential in this new style and would probably end up feeling pretty unique in the gaming sphere

I'm fine with reusing this iteration of the characters but also fine with a new iteration. It would be pretty cool if they kept a consistent timeline this time around though - maybe have a shorter time gap and have this iteration's close descendant be the new Zelda

Set it in Lorule both before and after Hilda’s dipshit ancestors destroyed their Triforce. You can explore the world, follow some scripted story events including the Triforce getting destroyed then explore the world again with huge swaths of it completely changed.

New world but keep the Link and Zelda of BotW and TotK.

Definitely a new Kingdom. I want something more civilized, with full towns and multiple castles and such. Hopefully the biomes would be more diverse as well. I want some truly unique locations.

Hyrule but a new era so with a completely new map. I know that most of the locations would remain around the same coordinates (Death Mountain in the north-east, Gerudo Desert South-west and so on...), but the terrain could evolve to be completely different and they could expand the borders to new kingdoms or provinces. With re-built and expanded towns and at least a big city like Uraya's capital from Xenoblade 2 or bigger (the size of NLA would be nice but improbable). Also, it'd be nice if this expanded Kingdom remains a big peninsula and we could get a ship to visit other places (at least one relatively big island with the size of around 4 BOTW/TOTK provinces, two or three with the size of 1-2 provinces, and many other smaller ones). Maintain the cave systems of TOTK.

A bit ambivalent about the sky islands if it not evolves in size, amount and purpose. The Depths are an interesting idea that could evolve as well and could be amazing.

Probably this game would need 10+ years to complete with the pace Aonuma, Fujibayashi and company works lol and I'm not a fan of that idea, so IDK...

I would like them to drop the post-apocalyptic undertones of Bread and Tears if possible and attempt making a proper, densely populated Hyrule Citadel. We also haven't seen large settlements that are such in paper in the series since Skyward Sword, and Skyloft barely counts, imo.

It's been a long wish of mine seeing a game that features a Hyrule amidst its apogee.

Literally anywhere but Hyrule lol. Whether it’s a revisit of some one off locale that’s shown up in a past game or a completely new one, I don’t care, just not Hyrule again, not for a while. After the BOTW duology plus AoC I’m Hyrule’d out for a bit.

Do a sort of 'retro future' which feels like a jump forward Hyrule but is closer to our past, like Legend of Korra's setting. Some big towns and cities, and a rail network you help set up for fast travel. Smaller settlements that are less advanced and where maybe people are struggling with and resisting the shock of the new. Big mid-game twist where you discover a portal to the game's second map, New Koholint. Incredibly upsetting side quest chain where Hylians and New Koholint inhabitants start migrating between worlds and building relationships and partnerships with each other, and the inevitable (or not!) conclusion to that.
They’ve been toying with sci-fi elements in Zelda for years and it’s all I’ve wanted to see a full blown sci-fi Zelda, but urban fantasy Zelda would definitely scratch a similar itch. All these years later, Termina’s clockpunk vibe stands out for similar reasons.

They quelled my fears about revisiting the same Hyrule again with TotK, and I adore the way the game handled it, but I don't think they can do it a third time, even if it were a massive uplift like the suggested futuristic setting. That'd be a cool idea for a Zelda game, given the concept was something considered all the way back with the very first game (Link's name stemming from the scrapped time travel mechanic in the first place, linking the past and future), but I wouldn't want that location to be the same Hyrule once again, or Hyrule at all. World building is important, and i'd rather they branch out, even if it features the same Link and Zelda (or even a few other cast members) again.

They can stay true to what they mentioned in the Ask the Developer interview in other ways:

Pb8srj2.png

We can see Hyrule in the opening and/or ending, leaving to or returning from the adventure in a different land. We could see it again in a different spin-off title too, nothing stopping them from doing another Musou or something entirely new. Or, another idea:

A seperate campaign where you play through Zelda's perspective in Ancient Hyrule; similar to the scrapped Second Quest from Skyward Sword. Given how big of a hit the base game already is they could probably get away with selling it as both an individual title and as DLC for TotK, ala Xenoblade 2 Torna.

Said this in the other thread, but multiple large continents, each with their own ecosystems, races, etc, along with a number of smaller islands. All spread throughout a fully explorable ocean.

Not quite Wind Waker, but it’d scratch a similar itch for people while simultaneously allowing for multiple unique locations, without having to worry about joining them together in a way that makes sense.

That would be cool.

Have the sea act like a hub and the land masses be huge and comparable in size to the different regions of current Hyrule. There could smaller islands in between housing shrines etc.

Next one needs to be an audiovisual refresh for sure, so new world.

TOTK needed to be what it is for the scope of the game and for expanding and refining BotW. and it does it beautifully

Next one they should be comfortable enough to give the series another shot in the arm audio and visual-wise

Next step will be DLC for TotK. No idea where this could be heading.

I would love a sea- based approach. Add a ocean map where mysterious islands appeared. Underwater- exploration would be quite something as well.

I also would like a horror version of Hyrule, where everything is twisted. That's another Dark World approach, but with real horror vibes.

I just can't imagine Zelda in Space or Cyberpunk. But i'm sure, Aonuma and his team could make it work.

Back
Top Bottom