• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion When are you planning to open the Switch 2 box for that new tech smell?

When are you planning to get Switch 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darthdiablo

+5 Death Stare
Banned
Pronouns
he/him
Since I cannot edit existing poll choices:

"Getting Switch 2 day one!"

should have been more like

"At least try to get Switch 2 at or shortly after launch!"

So feel free to use that choice if you mean to get it at launch or very shortly afterwards, even if supplies might not last

If the poll lacks sensible choices, tag me and I'll see if it needs to be included! (since it seems I CAN add new poll choices).

Votes can be changed btw for this poll so feel free to change votes later.

Last edited:
Going to try and get it as soon as I possibly can. Hopefully day one, but we’ll see how scarce it is…

I tried to get the original switch at least on the first week, but it took me forever to find any in stock. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time, maybe not day 1 but I don't wanna keep myself waiting forever!

Day 1. I will buy it and take a few days off. Probably will wait refreshing package tracking every minute.

If it has everything I want (£350 or less, no larger than Switch, OLED, fixed joy-con drift etc) I'll get it day one. If not I'll probably wait until Pokémon and get the special edition one.
I tried to get the original switch at least on the first week, but it took me forever to find any in stock. Hopefully I'll have better luck this time, maybe not day 1 but I don't wanna keep myself waiting forever!
Given how console launches have been going these days you probably want a preorder if you want to get it soon after launch. Hope Nintendo does manage to estimate launch demand and produce to that level at least as well as they did with Switch though.

In general I seem to have good luck with BestBuy's - they really stock way up for the launch days. Experience has been the same living in different states. Might want to try that if you live near one. Assuming you're planning to score one on the morning of launch day of course (otherwise they'd probably run out by midday)

Missing the OLED and Lite upgrades since I'm fine with my launch model doesn't really bother me, but what will always get to me is how they quietly improved battery life with a revised version of the base models around when the OLED launched. As much as I'd love to hop on day 1 for the new gen, I'd like to at least wait and see if there's some little unforeseen hardware quirk they end up smoothing out after the first run of systems.

I said first impressions, but based on the rumors it will depend on the games

I'll buy a massive clunky piece of tech bro crap if it has an exclusive animal crossing or a 3d mario that's as good as 64

Day 1 hasn't bit me in the ass yet

So far I got: 3DS, Switch, Xbox Series X all day 1 and do not regret it

It has actually been consoles that I buy after launch that brick on me

I am going to open it underwater like its surströmming just so I don't have to smell it because i'm evil like that

Assuming 3D Mario is a launch title, I'll have to try to get it day 1, but I imagine it will be hell

I almost never get consoles at launch but 3D Mario would do it

Not sure yet whether I'll try to get it day one. It really depends on whether Metroid Prime 4 or a new Animal Crossing are launch titles.

Assuming I can fight off scalpers and pre-order one, I’ll open it as soon as it’s delivered to my door. In fact, I’ll probably unabashedly tell my boss, “The new Switch dropped so I’m dropping from this meeting.”

IMG-1311.gif

He’s a gamer; he’ll understand.

I’d like to get one day one of course, and will try very hard to do so. But if I can’t I won’t panick and I’ll grab one when they become easier to find. The games aren’t going anywhere and my back log is gigantic.

Yeah, drugs are great and all, but have you tried sniffing that freshly opened Switch 2 box on launch day?

Don't do drugs, kids.

I'll be there trying to preorder one the moment preorders open. I preordered my Switch the moment the January 2017 presentation finished, around 6AM in the morning iirc.

I really don't see Nintendo surpassing my expectations to the point where I want to get the console on day 1, but I'm reasonably confident that I'll eventually see some games that make me want to pick it up. Is that closer to the second or the fourth poll option?

Hour 1 or bust. Hopefully it’s some midnight launch where I can set up a tent :p

I'll buy a massive clunky piece of tech bro crap if it has an exclusive animal crossing or a 3d mario that's as good as 64
This is me but with a MonolithSoft game. Just about any other franchise I could probably wait for, especially with the backlog I have, and maybe see if any special colors come down the line. But if they throw a new Monolith world at me? I'll start sweating quick.

If it has:
  • Full BC
  • Plays my current Switch games with better performance (not talking about higher res or something)
  • Has a good launch year line-up
  • Isn't too expensive
  • Good impressions
  • No hardware/software issues at launch (think Switch dock that scratches the system, joy-con de-sync issues etc)
Then I'm getting it ASAP

If any of the above isn't met, then I'm waiting until it gets better. Or when I want to play an exclusive thats available on the system.

I'm so ready for the next system, but I'm also so done with getting a new console early for no good reason. I don't care about FOMO, so if there is a risk of it getting sold out everywhere, so be it. I have enough games to play for the coming years, I can wait.

If it has:
  • Plays my current Switch games with better performance (not talking about higher res or something)
Do you mean games with fps issues get a locked frame rate, or that 30 fps games are suddenly 60 fps? The former is likely imo, the latter very unlikely.
  • No hardware/software issues at launch (think Switch dock that scratches the system
Did that ever get solved? My Switch has one characteristic scar on its back, and right after I noticed that I added a very thin soft padding to the pieces of plastic guiding the Switch, which solved the issue (but that shouldn't have been necessary, of course). I was always careful placing it in, but I still got that scratch after a few weeks. An open dock design with no cover on the screen side would be great imo.

Do you mean games with fps issues get a locked frame rate, or that 30 fps games are suddenly 60 fps? The former is likely imo, the latter very unlikely.

Did that ever get solved? My Switch has one characteristic scar on its back, and right after I noticed that I added a very thin soft padding to the pieces of plastic guiding the Switch, which solved the issue (but that shouldn't have been necessary, of course). I was always careful placing it in, but I still got that scratch after a few weeks. An open dock design with no cover on the screen side would be great imo.
I mean any improvements really. But not something that goes from 30 to 60 fps. Bare minimum is something like how n3DS ran (some?) games better than OG 3DS.

I don't know whether the dock scratching got fixed, but I was (and still am) pretty disappointed there was no widespread backlash on this. People were complaining about it in the early Switch days, but nothing more.

My Switch got scratched within 1 month of use, I traded my dock for another one, and it had the exact same problem. They're just warped, and very cheaply made. I ended up adding some rubber in the dock, but after a while that came off because the Switch doesn't slide into the dock very well.

A friend of mine has the red box Switch and 2 docks, and his Switch got scratched by both of them.

All anecdotes, but I haven't heard of anyone not having any scratches.

An open dock would solve these issues, but for those with kids or pets it introduces other problems like damaging the USB connector and port in the dock and system, by just knocking it over or docking it wrong.

Until I know about what games to expect year 1, I can't say I got plans to get one. Hard to plan to get something I knoe nothing about. If it enhances Switch 1 games, it will help making me interested too. I stopped playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and skipped a lot of Switch games the last year.

But I usually change my mind when I see the consoles. For example I bought Wiiu and Vita day one. So I'm not that hard to please.

I need to see the launch day games first, if they don't make me lose my mind i'm in no rush.

Smelling new tech cardboard boxes is overrated! Have you ever smell a Master System or Genesis plastic case in 2024?! Especially the ones you know were from renting stores back in the day! 🤤 Sorry that's a bit weird...

I have no money right now for such an investment and I can't plan ahead that much; But Nintendo systems are always a guarantee purchase for me, since it's where my favorite franchises will keep on going, after all.

I suspect I may end getting the Switch 2 after a year or so, especially after the system gets a good handful of exclusives to warrant the money drop. If the Switch 1 keeps getting cross-gen titles though, I'll delay the purchase more and more!

as someone that primarily plays games on PC my rule of thumb for buying a Console is generally 2 games on it that I really want to play and can't play elsewhere

it's kind of impossible to say what exactly that means timeline wise since obviously I don't know what games are releasing for it and when but for reference this means that I bought a Switch in 2019 and don't typically buy Playstation or Xbox Consoles at all

Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are two of my favorite game series and I would be interested enough in a brand new Mario Kart to count it as one of those as well so it's inevitable that i'll get one at some point though and very possibly within the first year or so that it is out

Since I cannot edit existing poll choices:

"Getting Switch 2 day one!"

should have been more like

"At least try to get Switch 2 at or shortly after launch!"

So feel free to use that choice if you mean to get it at launch or very shortly afterwards, even if supplies might not last

If the poll lacks sensible choices, tag me and I'll see if it needs to be included! (since it seems I CAN add new poll choices).

Votes can be changed btw for this poll so feel free to change votes later.
first i will see the console review people opinions on it to see,if theres no major flaw/deflect on it, and then i will buy it,

Out of curiosity, any 3d marios since 64 you consider as good as 64?

Me, I'm there day 1 no matter what, if I manage to get one of course

This will actually be my first console launch ever when I'm financially stable and not struggling with money.

It's probably going to be impossible to grab one day 1 in Brazil, but I'll get it as soon as I can.

I actually got my OG Switch a day early from Best Buy’s online store when it launched 😇 But here’s hoping I can pre-order one again! Would be psyched if Nintendo World does a midnight launch or something.

Imagine thinking any of us will be able to get a Switch 2 on Day 1 before all of the resell bots buy them up

Provided there’s a 3D Mario at launch, gonna try my damnedest to get it day 1. Otherwise, I can wait a bit, if there’s nothing else particularly enticing.

Back
Top Bottom