• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion What's your favorite Zelda subtitle?

Your favorite Zelda subtitle...

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
63685_04_legend-zelda-tv-series-announced-soon_full.jpg

So many Zelda games, and almost as many subtitles for them.

Zelda subtitles have ranged from being very clever to very not clever but still cool, and then a couple really awkward ones.

Ahead of Tears of the Kingdom's launch this Friday, which is your favourite one?

A Link to the Past because everytime someone makes an LTTP thread, I connect it with that Zelda game.

LTTP =/= Late to the Party

I kinda like that Link To The Past is more obtuse and isn't literally just the name of the game's macguffin

That said I've never really loved the Breath Of The Wild title. It's... fine, I guess, but it feels like it's trying to be too clever

I picked Majora’s Mask. It was either that or Twilight Princess for me. Breath of the Wild is also really good. Tears of the Kingdom is my least favorite so far. Maybe I’ll feel better about it when I play the game lol.

Link's Awakening, short, easy to remember.

Also no love for the GBC titles OP....

That said I've never really loved the Breath Of The Wild title. It's... fine, I guess, but it feels like it's trying to be too clever
This too. like it's a good subtitle but never really made the connection. You are in the wild after everything is destroyd and breathing I guess...

Twilight Princess goes hard as a title. Also a big fan of Spirit Tracks, thought that was really clever.

Oh my favorite is Link’s Awakening, because it’s probably the cleverest name in the series for so many reasons (plot significance, keeping “Link” in the subtitle, catchiness).

Shout out to Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds for similar reasons.

Of the non “Link” ones, I’m very partial to Ocarina, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Actually not huge on Majora, Skyward, or BOTW.

Yeah Twilight Princess is also really good. The true meaning of the name doesn't come clear until the very end.

A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Twilight Princess

Lotsa good ones! Phantom Hourglass is kinda cool too I guess.

Twilight princess or Breath of the Wild, hard to choose between the two. Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker sound nice but the instruments having a pretty small role in the games is disappointing given the subtitles.

Majora's Mask handily beats out all of them for me. For some reason it always felt like the most intriguing and mysterious of the bunch.

I have a soft spot for Phantom Hourglass for some reason even though I really don't enjoy the game lol

I'm gonna be the first to say it's Tears of the Kingdom for me. I didn't have the immediate reaction that it was my favorite upon reveal, but reading them all over I think it's the coolest and the one that evokes the most detailed imagery just by hearing it. Maybe I'll feel differently about it once I play the game.

Phantom Hourglass and Breath of the Wild are my consolations though. Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask are also pretty cool.

I don't really like any of the ones with "Link" in the name because they cease to make sense if you name your character anything other than Link. I know that's the canon name but still.

Breath of the Wild probably, but it's gonna be Tears of the Kingdom in the next few months

Everytime the subtitle is revealed, some people are hating it but when you get use to it, it just makes sense. Every Zelda subtitle is very well chosen.

Breath of the Wild is so slick, clean, elegant and roll greatly off the tongue. Love it.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

good cadence

not too wordy

the visual sort of reflects the game's aesthetic

every word in the title is a cool word

(y)

Link's Awakening is very evocative, especially once you've played through the game and you finally understand how significant the phrasing is.

I also have a soft spot for Twilight Princess. I mean, come on, that oozes cool.

I think no name has fizzled yet, they're all pretty decent at the very least. Even the games I dont like :p

BotW is king for me though, it just perfectly encapsulates the game.

Wonder how Tears of the Kingdom will stand once I've played it because from a black and white perspective I think "tears of the kingdom" is an amazing title

I kinda like that Link To The Past is more obtuse and isn't literally just the name of the game's macguffin

All Zelda titles try to be clever tbh. Though I agree the title seem somehow less original compared to something like Twilight Princess or Link to the Past.

Voted for Breath of the Wild for the same reason as @Enpsty

Tears of the Kingdom isn't out yet, otherwise that. I think it refers to multiple things/events, while also being a pun (on tiers)...

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask for the alliteration. A Link to the Past because of the pun

Majora’s Mask is the most inspired. I remember when I heard that for the first time, I was like “…..what???”

Twilight Princess has always sounded cool and mysterious to me. I love it.

But I like all of them, really.

From this list the only subtitles I like are Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Tears of the Kingdom.
I went with Ocarina of Time because I really like time travel stuff.

Probably gonna take some crap for this, but I think Tears of the Kingdom is actually the worst Zelda subtitle ever. It just sounds so dumb and clunky to me. Hopefully playing the game will change my opinion of that!

I voted for A Link to the Past, btw

Link's Awakening is the cleverest and most evocative title of them all. Pretty much all the rest of the games either refer to a particular character or item that is important to the game, or don't mean anything really (Adventure of Link, Tears of the Kingdom, Four Swords Adventures). Nothing all that clever or interesting really.

Special shoutouts to A Link To The Past (prequel to Zelda 1) and A Link Between Worlds (dual worlds/relationship to ALTTP) though. Breath of the Wild (open world) is ok too I suppose. And while I do appreciate the pun in Triforce Heroes (3 player co-op)? It just sounds so incredibly hokey that I can't really rate it highly.

Last edited:
Probably gonna take some crap for this, but I think Tears of the Kingdom is actually the worst Zelda subtitle ever. It just sounds so dumb and clunky to me. Hopefully playing the game will change my opinion of that!

I voted for A Link to the Past, btw
To be fair, I think I have this exact reaction with every new Zelda game until it just settles in my mind eventually and no longer feels weird. I remember “Breath of the Wild” feeling awkward up until release, with a lot of people calling it “Breath of the Wind” by mistake pretty regularly.

Link's Awakening, though I may be biased because it's my favorite Zelda game. I think it works on multiple levels and doesn't outright spoil the game like the original Japanese title does.

Also I want to mention how funny the trend of fake Zelda titles always having the most edgy subtitles like "Shard of Nightmares" is, as if the Zelda series was ever like that tonally.

Wind Waker is a cool one but I think the name doesn't match up with the tone of the game as much as some of the others. Twilight Princess is probably the best in terms of an evocative name that matches the tone of the game itself.

Skyward Sword is a very nice sounding name, but I really do love Tears of the Kingdom. Hits all the right notes of epic, a little haunting, and intriguing.

The Wind Waker is my personal fave, I love the look and sound of it! It is also my personal favourite Zelda. Twilight Princess is close behind - again both the name and the game

A Link Between Worlds purely because of the pun
Link's Awakening, though I may be biased because it's my favorite Zelda game. I think it works on multiple levels and doesn't outright spoil the game like the original Japanese title does.

Also I want to mention how funny the trend of fake Zelda titles always having the most edgy subtitles like "Shard of Nightmares" is, as if the Zelda series was ever like that tonally.
Its how you know when a leak is fake. The Closest zelda gets to kiiiiiiiind of edgy in its title is maybe Twilight Princess and i dont really think its edgy at all, just the closest

It's cool to see how even the poll results are.

I voted for Link's Awakening. Everyone should be so lucky as to have a video game commemorate their awakening.

Skyward Sword sounds pretty cool.
I like the name Skyward Sword. It’s evocative of raising your sword to the sky in triumph, or, in context within the game, to summon lightning. The motion control element of that is a huge link in a dramatic moment between the player and Link too. Not a fan of the game itself, but the name and its meanings work really well.

I pretended those were titles for non-Zelda games I knew nothing about, and then asked myself which one intrigued me the most and made me want to play the game based on title alone, and it's Ocarina of Time.

Back
Top Bottom