• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Whatcha Playin' This Weekend, Fam? |4/12-4/14|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Apologies for the late thread! I've been sick with a stomach bug the past two days, and it's really thrown a spanner into my routines. I'm feeling better today though!

It's Friday, and you know what that means - it's time for our weekly weekend thread. Tell us all about the games you want to play over the next few days. New games, old games, or old favorites, all are welcome here!

------------

My one and only main game this weekend is going to be Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. I'm hoping to be able to finally put some solid time into the game and make some good progress for once. It's such a big game, and it's a bit overwhelming, but when I'm in the middle of actually playing it, I love it. I'm just over twenty hours in, and still in lower Junon. Hopefully I can make it to the ship at least before the weekend is through? We'll see!

I've got at least one smaller game going, and that's Theatrhythm Final Bar Line. That's another game with an overwhelming amount of content, but if you just chip away at it a little at a time, it's all good.

------------

That's all from me! I hope you all have a great weekend!

CzVRjOL.gif

Feeling stressed to the point where even playing a video game feels kind of tricky, but I'm planning on continuing with Final Fantasy XVI and Balatro.

Still plugging away at Persona 3 Reload. I'm about 15 hours in and based on How Long to Beat, Persona 3 is probably going to be my answer for the next several weeks to come.

Might chill out with some Smash Ultimate. Not anything else I'm in the mood to get right now.

I've actually been teaching myself Godot 4 over the last week so I'll probably be doing more play testing and debugging than actual gaming.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Going through Robotics;Note Elite as my before bed game, I think I am half way through the game, its been super fun.

And going back to finish Mary Skelter Finale, I left around the last part of the game and I forgot how hard that game can get lol. Music is still top notch.

Continuing a replay of Final Fantasy 7 Remake. It's essentially a new game plus run since I'm using the chapter select, so I've been able to work through it pretty quickly.

I might also work on Link Between Worlds on the 3DS. It's not blowing me away, but it's a solid 2D Zelda game and it works well as a time killer here and there.

Finishing Unicorn Overlord. Pretty sure I'm near the end and I should have enough gaming time this weekend to finish.

I'm finishing tomorrow Metroid Fusion (f*ing finally) and resuming ToTK. Mood's been horrendous this week, I am slowly getting back on track.

Also, out of curiosity, wouldn't it be more efficient and easy to just have one single thread for this and just update the weekend date every week, instead of making completely new threads each weekend? Just asking, not trying to be a smartass at all.

Also, get well soon, Red Monster!

Hope you get back to 100% over the weekend @Red Monster

Been a long weekend this week, coming off the back of 2 short working weeks in the UK this week has dragged!

In terms of games, this is one of those weekends where I haven’t got anything I’m in the middle of so it’s time to pick some new stuff to play! On Switch, I have picked up Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania DLC so I’ll be loading up my old save and giving that a go. On Steam Deck, I think I might start playing Dishonored Definitive Edition, I played the original main game years ago and really enjoyed it but never played the DLC so I plan to replay the main game and then get through the DLC as well.

Have a great weekend Fami!

I popped into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) last night to “just do a couple things” then ended up playing for two hours so now I’m itching to get back to Hyrule.

I got to the second dungeon in Sylvan Tale (GG). It seems like a pretty short game so I’m hoping to roll credits soon.

Otherwise, I’d like to do more in Super Mario RPG (Switch) than merely collect My Nintendo Gold Coins.

Continuing with the Quarry on PS5 and LAD: Gaiden on Series X.
LAD is always amazing and the Quarry is fun so far, I’ve never played much of that kind of thing but this one is slick

New Season for Wild Rift started yesterday! I ended up doing a crazy last push in the final few days where I ranked two divisions in two days and there's been some very nice visual and gameplay quality of life changes, so, I'm gonna probably see how hard I can push it this time!
My Majora's Mask playthrough is put a bit on pause as I adjust to Snowfalls bullshit, but I'll push myself through sooner than later I'm sure. I casually picked up like, 20 stars in Super Mario 64, so i might go back and clear that just to say I did in 2024. It's been a really long time since I've beaten that one too...
Other than those, I'm back on  FFXIV hoping to wrap up Endwalker and post Endwalker before Dawntrail drops. I'm almost def playing more Bloodborne at my girlfriends though.

I'm mainly replaying some of my favorite handheld platformers of decades past: Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Donkey Kong 94, and Wario Land 4.

I was gone last weekend and haven't played FFVII Rebirth since I returned! Gasp! I need to fix that. I'm not sure I'll have time...

Elsewhere, I'm in something of a gaming slump. I keep picking up things on Switch and dropping out due to lack of interest. I may try and play some Hyrule Warriors while I catch up on podcasts. I also started Great Ace Attorney since that's barely even a game and it fit my mood.

Or maybe I'll just read more Spy X Family...

I'm finishing tomorrow Metroid Fusion (f*ing finally) and resuming ToTK. Mood's been horrendous this week, I am slowly getting back on track.

Also, out of curiosity, wouldn't it be more efficient and easy to just have one single thread for this and just update the weekend date every week, instead of making completely new threads each weekend? Just asking, not trying to be a smartass at all.

Also, get well soon, Red Monster!
I'm just speaking for myself here, but having the threads be weekly is fun for me. It turns them into little mini events, something to look forward to at the end of the work week. If there was just one constant thread, I'm afraid it would turn into simply another discussion thread, which we have plenty of around here.

And thank you very much everyone for the well wishes!

I'm thinking Exoprimal tonight. Gotta get ready for Season 4 next week.

Might get into more Dragon's Dogma 2 either tomorrow night or Sunday. Tomorrow's a busy day.

I'm just speaking for myself here, but having the threads be weekly is fun for me. It turns them into little mini events, something to look forward to at the end of the work week. If there was just one constant thread, I'm afraid it would turn into simply another discussion thread, which we have plenty of around here.

Agreed, I much prefer a weekly thread than one topic that would just get forgotten about over time. I look forward to these threads weekly.

Final fantasy IX is my main, trying to get back into Orochi warriors 4 but it’s been so long I don’t know whether to continue or restart(I only made chapter 3, and hadn’t started it)

As for counter balance not sure

I have been playing Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright. Was hoping to beat it before the 3DS online closed in case those epilogues went bye bye but wasn’t possible.

Officiating high school track most of tomorrow though so not a ton of game time this weekend.

Also will be playing @big lantern ghost mario maker 2 level!

I got hit by the punch of playing Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor and doing the ending of The Missing(Swery's game) yesterday so I'm too depressed to even get out of bed. A friend of mine is streaming herself playing Rain World for the first time and it's a real joy so I might just watch that instead of touching anything. I'm also waiting on Steam to process my DD2 refund before I get anything new.

I think I have a quiet weekend ahead which I’m happy about since I should have plenty of time for games. Think I’m around 440 songs cleared on Expert in Love Live School Idol Festival 2 so I’ll be continuing with that daily. I think I do want to beat both every song on Expert and every song on Master before the game shuts down with a big exception for the new Master arcade tracks they just added (ranked at difficulty level 15 compared to the level 12 difficulty Master previously capped out at). I’ve been enjoying the game with just my thumbs so far, I don’t think I want to learn to use four fingers lol.

For my main games I’m currently juggling Unicorn Overlord and Dragon’s Dogma II and I think I’m just going all in on Dragon’s Dogma until I’m done. I’ve explored a good, possibly great deal of the map so far and I believe I’ve cleared out over half of the main quests (I glanced at a mission list the other day, but haven’t counted). Now that I’m properly into it (have a house, solid equipment, familiar with combat, etc.) I’m having an awesome time. I’m in no rush to finish it, but if I did happen to finish it by the time the FFXVI DLC drops next week that’d be cool.

FFXVI DLC drops next week
omg is that next week? It looks so good!! But there’s no way I can play it while I’m on the middle of Rebirth. The first hours of Rebirth were brutal for me because I was locked in to XVI’s combat and controls; ain’t no way I’m gonna jump back and forth between them.

omg is that next week? It looks so good!! But there’s no way I can play it while I’m on the middle of Rebirth. The first hours of Rebirth were brutal for me because I was locked in to XVI’s combat and controls; ain’t no way I’m gonna jump back and forth between them.
Yeah the 18th! I’m pretty excited for a new zone to explore and of course the big Leviathan fight.

I feel you on swapping between action games. When the first XVI DLC came out, it took me like two hours to relearn the controls so I’m probably going to have to relearn them again lol. I also just went from Rebirth to Granblue Relink to Dragon’s Dogma and I’d keep hitting my last dodge roll button in intense moments hoping it’d do something for a few hours into each lol.

I needed a serious palette cleanser after the Wii U farewell marathon so I fed a bunch of ideas into random.org and it told me to go with Capcom's Beat Em Up Collection. So I'll continue picking away at the original Final Fight by hopefully finishing up a Cody run tonight and then starting a Haggar or Guy run.

The game is absolutely a quarter-muncher and I'm not making any attempt to do well, but I can tell I'm internalizing some of the enemy behaviors which has been cool to observe. It's just an incredibly cheap game so I'm just focused on having a good time right now than trying to "git gud".

If I need to mix it up I'll probably reach for one of the demos I've had squirreled away on my system for years. Umbraclaw's demo just dropped today and I think it's time I start doing some demo house cleaning (both on my Switch and PC).

LTTP but I have finally started Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. I am only going to do the Black Eagle route since that's the only one I've completed in FE3H. Playing as Female Shez and having Byleth be Male to fit into my OG FE3H run. It's nice to be reunited with the Black Eagle Strike Force gang. Let's go dismantling old, archaic institutions of inequality with bloodshed!

195a7d94c322915c0b410d927782dfca4666df21.jpg

And we'll do so by spilling their blood

My last Warriors game was Age of Calamity but getting into the real swing of things. I need more resources! Playing on Normal/Casual mode and I'm going to try to get all the battles on S rank.

I wrapped up Act 2 on Baldur's Gate 3 on Thursday, so I'm taking my break from that.

I started Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown a few weeks ago but only played about 2 hours, so any gaming time this weekend is going on that.

Finished P5R so it's time for a bunch of smaller games.
I started Toodee and Topdee and it's great. Legit brain squeezer.

I'll give you a hint

I don't get it, so you're playing Fortnite? Or maybe Baldur's Gate 3? Dude, you gotta make it more obvious!

Ahhh sorry, I didn't see the videos below.. so you're playing My Little Pony: Now it's personal. Got it. The hell is going on with me..

Some more Grim Dawn (Series S), kinda want to get my character to 100 and beat the game on Ultimate difficulty. Also hopefully more Lies of P (Series S), currently in Chapter 8, the obligatory poison swamp!

I've also started Pokémon Crystal Legacy (GBC) but not gotten very far yet, still on my way to Violet City.

Been playing some Xenoblade 2.

The combat and story has been has of right now really enjoyable. Currently in Chapter 3

Nearing the end of FFXVI which I've been slowly chipping away at over the last two weeks. Not sure I'm actually gonna have time to finish it this weekend but I wanna be done before we go on holidays.

I played nearly seven hours of Rebirth yesterday. Sick day and isolating from my kids makes for lots of gaming time I guess.

I’m feeling much much better today!

I would be completely shocked if I end up enjoying a game more than Balatro this year. Just an endlessly clever, engaging experience. My Switch says I’ve played 60 hours (or more!) and I don’t feel even close to done yet.

Played through the Dead Cell’s Return To Castlevania campaign, really good stuff, last boss was tough! Unlocked some of the Castlevania inspired loot as well which is all very cool too!

Too much!

Unicorn Overlord, continuing Pokémon Violet (first Pokémon since Black released), Bloodstaine: Ritual of the Night and Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

I have that one on my wishlist but I'm always hesitant to buy it. How does it play exactly? Like, what do you do.
It's somewhere between a 2D cinematic platformer and a Metroidvania. There aren't really any power ups, but it's a big sprawling map with distinct areas you need to learn how to explore and navigate. The game moves in days called cycles, each day you wake up, you need to find enough food to hibernate, and you need to find shelter before the rain comes. Rinse and repeat. The game is a bit cryptic on what the actual "goal" is, but by surviving and exploring you'll come across some paths you'll want to go down. It is best if you can go in spoiler free and just try to find your own way through the game.

Rain World has a bit of a reputation for being very difficult and hard to figure out, but it's not like a masocore game or anything. It's just a game that is heavily driven by discovery and piecing together the different systems, Predators are extremely tough to fight and there are some navigational obstacles that you will have to solve with very little help, but if you're patient and observant you can figure out consistent ways to get past both those things. Deaths can come very suddenly and can feel quite punishing, but the actual penalty is extremely miniscule(you just go back to the last shelter you slept at). You'll die a lot as you figure stuff out, but once you have the knowledge on how to get around you'll zoom through stuff. As long as you are seeing new screens you're making progress.

It is admittedly a very different experience than most other games and can be quite jarring so I expect most people to bounce off it. It tickles a lot of the same parts of my brain that something like Outer Wilds would do while also presenting a kind of unique challenge I only really can find in this game. It's also a vibe and a half with the presentation and tone that I find is pretty rare too. If that pitch rings any bells for you I'd give it a shot, but also yeah there's a certain kind of hostility/friction that is fundamental to the problem solving that is just not going to work for some people so be aware.

Have to babysit my cousin's dog for a few days with no access to my PS5, so I'm replaying Banjo Kazooie on Switch

Keep playing Rise of the Ronin on the weekends. I really like that all weapons (or lack of) have interesting builds. I've been training on unharmed combat and at that point you are pretty much batman (but you can kill)

GJX2dgw.gif

Backlog clearing is the order of the weekend so I'm going to flip a coin to decide whether I'll finish my current playthrough of Triangle Strategy or Unicorn Overlord. But connection problems in Warframe's new Deep Archimedea raid has my entire squad tilted, so it's Picontier until until I chill out.

I've been taking a smol rest on forum-ing, but i'm here again!

Ok, it's Sunday over here already, but what's my gaming plan?

Scarlet Tower
If y'all don't know this one, i can't blame you, i'm playing it for review and it's a Vampire Survivors clone with extra depth and a quite assholic difficulty. Honestly, i kinda like it, but it's a grindfest and requires lots of patience lol

Splatoon 3
Yeh, i'm back to this one, and just in time for the pre-Splatfest!? So, i'm going to take my time and level-up that festive shirt. Also, i vote for bunnies 🐰

Got myself Helldivers 2, but i don't have enough time and room to spread DemocracyTM through the galaxy, so that one is going to have to wait.

Played a few songs on Theatrhythm Final Bar Line friday, man that game has so many tracks. I've been on and off for it over a year now and probably just halfway through. A bit bummed that the songs I want the most is behind DLC.

Also played some Warhammer the Old World (Miniature game) yesterday which took up basically the whole day. Picking up a hobby me and my friends used to played 25-20 years ago with new rules and everything is a bit of a struggle :> But very much fun

started the Myst remake on steam on a whim yesterday. it's incredible! i've briefly poked at various versions of the original over the years but never made anything resembling progress before, but I'm really loving it now that I have a handle on its structure. part of me feels like I'm missing out on the beautiful prerendered visuals of the classic version but the 3D remake is really quite beautiful. I've also got Riven on steam so maybe I'll give that a go at some point soon too, it sounds like it's an even better game than the first one.

It's somewhere between a 2D cinematic platformer and a Metroidvania. There aren't really any power ups, but it's a big sprawling map with distinct areas you need to learn how to explore and navigate. The game moves in days called cycles, each day you wake up, you need to find enough food to hibernate, and you need to find shelter before the rain comes. Rinse and repeat. The game is a bit cryptic on what the actual "goal" is, but by surviving and exploring you'll come across some paths you'll want to go down. It is best if you can go in spoiler free and just try to find your own way through the game.

Rain World has a bit of a reputation for being very difficult and hard to figure out, but it's not like a masocore game or anything. It's just a game that is heavily driven by discovery and piecing together the different systems, Predators are extremely tough to fight and there are some navigational obstacles that you will have to solve with very little help, but if you're patient and observant you can figure out consistent ways to get past both those things. Deaths can come very suddenly and can feel quite punishing, but the actual penalty is extremely miniscule(you just go back to the last shelter you slept at). You'll die a lot as you figure stuff out, but once you have the knowledge on how to get around you'll zoom through stuff. As long as you are seeing new screens you're making progress.

It is admittedly a very different experience than most other games and can be quite jarring so I expect most people to bounce off it. It tickles a lot of the same parts of my brain that something like Outer Wilds would do while also presenting a kind of unique challenge I only really can find in this game. It's also a vibe and a half with the presentation and tone that I find is pretty rare too. If that pitch rings any bells for you I'd give it a shot, but also yeah there's a certain kind of hostility/friction that is fundamental to the problem solving that is just not going to work for some people so be aware.
great post! Rain World is really something special and one of my favorite games ever. few games have created such a range of feeling in me through the melding of their mechanics and atmosphere—I'll never forget the first time I nearly got caught in the rain but actually managed to scramble to a new shelter rather than getting washed away. I love how unbelievably intense the rain effect is. there are so many cool mechanical intricacies to discover and the latter half of the game is just full of mystery and wonder and surprises.
that said, and vague spoilers, I've gotta disagree with the notion that getting sent back to the last shelter is the only penalty for dying! there is definitely Something Else that happens each time you die . . .

Back
Top Bottom