• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fami? Goodbye 2023 Edition |12/29-1/1|

Possibly beating Mario Wonder this weekend as I think I have two worlds left before rolling credits? Also getting some Mario Kart 8 DX in as I’m visiting family and need to throw down with my sister.

Yesssss! Please get into the RPG thread and nerd out with me about it.
Yee

I ended up getting SSHD and made it to the first temple. Will continue later today. Also downloaded and completed the demo for Metroid Dread. This is next on my purchase list. So good.
Metroid Dread is fantastic.

I ended up getting SSHD and made it to the first temple. Will continue later today. Also downloaded and completed the demo for Metroid Dread. This is next on my purchase list. So good.
If this is your first time playing, you are in for a treat IMO. Some of the best temples, characters and music in the series.

Metroid Dread is a top 3 Switch game for me. Amazing.

I think I've beaten Metroid Dread at least once a year since it's release. Maybe more cause I know I've had to delete a save file at least once.

Haven't really had the time to game so far, though for good reason. I saw the Sonic Symphony last night and it was nothing short of amazing.

I would like to get Star Ocean The Second Story R (Switch) and Sonic Superstars (PC) completed by New Year's Day, but we'll see. Sometime later I will put some time into Titanfall 2 tonight since a friend finally got it on Steam.

Last edited:
Ignored my backlog and bought the Ace Attorney collection of collections that was on sale xD gonna take a look at the first game at least, never played this series before and got curious

Ignored my backlog and bought the Ace Attorney collection of collections that was on sale xD gonna take a look at the first game at least, never played this series before and got curious
if you aren’t ignoring your backlog can you really call yourself a gamer?

+1 to all of the Metroid Dread love in this thread, it's fantastic. I should really get back to it to finish my Hard Mode run then maybe Dread mode... hard maybe.

This time of year I like to cozy up with multiplayer games. Roped a few friends into playing Mario Party on NSO; we did a run on each board.

New Years Eve will be Mario Party 2, then Mario Party 3 on New Years day. Yeehaw.

The scant time I can afford to play anything I have been playing TEVI and streaming it to my best friend. Someone gifted me Rabi-Ribi awhile back and while the story in that game is nonsense in almost pure form among other issues, the moment to moment gameplay of a Bullet Hell Metroidvania Platformer is and makes for funny moments when I'm panicking during the myriad boss fights, so this more refined spiritual sequel was a must buy in hopes of a more refined experience for story and gameplay......mostly?

Thanks to a friend getting a PS5 earlier in the year, I now have a PS4. And there's only one PlayStation exclusive series that I've wanted to play ever since I touched the demo at a Best Buy kisok way back in high school.

Gravity-Rush-Movie_08-22-22.jpg

Yeah, I bought both Gravity Rush games convinced that I'd absolutely adore them... and I do! In the middle of playing Gravity Rush Remastered. The very act of flying around and traversing the map is just plain lovely, I love the atmosphere (that faux-French gibberish language, y'all), and Kat is just a fun protagonist. I entered the weekend expecting to make more of a dent into the Ace Attorney Trilogy, but I've just been helping out around the city of Hekseville for the past two nights.

Playing Final Fantasy VII on my deck and its really just getting the feeling over and over again that, oh yea, this legendary universally beloved game is universally beloved for a reason. Absolutely incredible experience its insane how well its aged

Thanks to a friend getting a PS5 earlier in the year, I now have a PS4. And there's only one PlayStation exclusive series that I've wanted to play ever since I touched the demo at a Best Buy kisok way back in high school.

Gravity-Rush-Movie_08-22-22.jpg

Yeah, I bought both Gravity Rush games convinced that I'd absolutely adore them... and I do! In the middle of playing Gravity Rush Remastered. The very act of flying around and traversing the map is just plain lovely, I love the atmosphere (that faux-French gibberish language, y'all), and Kat is just a fun protagonist. I entered the weekend expecting to make more of a dent into the Ace Attorney Trilogy, but I've just been helping out around the city of Hekseville for the past two nights.
I played through Gravity Rush on Vita a couple months ago! It really is a fantastic game. I could feel the Crackdown inspiration all over the place. Combat gets a bit repetitive later on, but that’s really my only criticism. I liked the game a lot.

I’m sure the visuals are a bit better playing it on PS5 than they are on Vita 😅

I finally finished the Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster last night (on Steam Deck). Still a fantastic game no matter how many times I play through it. The new soundtrack arrangements (particularly Dancing Mad) are superb.

I’m still playing Slay the Spire, of course…still trying to get a win with the Watcher without resorting to a guide. It’s safe to say I don’t have the best instincts with this game.

As for other games, will probably continue some with Final Fantasy XVI and Octopath Traveller II.

Playing through Soul Hackers 2 now after finishing Octopath 2.

I’m enjoying games that have Speed up options for turn base combat lol. If Octopath 2 didn’t have that. Who knows if i would’ve finish, it’s been a QOL option for these games.

As for the game itself. The gameplay is pretty good. I don’t care much for the writing nor story so far. So far Ringo is annoying. But that’s a nitpick, just a type of character writing I don’t care for. But early days! It might get better.

Just got around to playing my first Fortnite zero build match of the weekend, and I won even with messed up joycons. Wasn’t expecting that. Guess I’m done playing for today. Second win of the season after a little over 100 matches, so nothing special, but still.

spent the morning wrapping up the last dozen or so shrines in Tears of the Kingdom. still plenty left I could do but that feels like a great stopping point until I feel like starting a fresh playthrough eventually. great game!

otherwise mostly just playing “Theatrhythm”

happy new year all

Oh hey, look at that. There is another boss fight in God of War besides the hydra and Ares. The fight against Pandora’s Guardian was pretty cool!

This game is structured so strangely. Like, 80% of it takes place in the longest, most unending Zelda dungeon ever.

Speaking of God of War, I beat Ragnarok and the Valhalla DLC over the weekend. Ragnarok, as I've noted before, was good but bloated. Valhalla is a short roguelite that explored Kratos better than Ragnarok did. I don't know if I'll ever replay either the main game or Valhalla, but I do want to try replaying GoW3 and 2018 again soon.

I also gave Jusant a go, but bounced off it after about 30 minutes. I need immediate narrative/atmosphere or immediate action/puzzles, and Jusant doesn't deliver on either front.

Oh hey, look at that. There is another boss fight in God of War besides the hydra and Ares. The fight against Pandora’s Guardian was pretty cool!

This game is structured so strangely. Like, 80% of it takes place in the longest, most unending Zelda dungeon ever.
I actually really, really like the storytelling through gameplay of God of War and think it's really underrated. 80% of the game taking place in this dungeon where Kratos is learning about the history of its architect which parallels his own fate is really cool, almost the entirety of the game is emblematic of Kratos's dissent into despair. The cutscenes and the "twist" haven't aged well but the story through gameplay is brilliant imo.

Unfortunately, the game also has a few unsavory moments that haven't aged well, and they do tonally clash pretty hard with what the game was going for. It makes me wonder if only a few people on staff cared about Kratos being a womanizer / edge lord (I could see that being douchebag David Jaffe's creative idea). It's sad that it became so emblematic of what the franchise meant in the original trilogy, especially as Kratos's descent into psychopathy is a pretty interesting theme.

My holiday weekend report - I did end up playing a good deal of Octopath Traveler II. I have all of the characters now and have cleared 3.5 chapter 2s and have started my next full one. I’ve also completed two of the two person chapters which seem kind of neat though a bit basic. I also read/watched another hour of the Magia Record fan translation. Was in a slow section, but things seem to be picking up again so I’d like to put more time towards it this week alongside more Octopath.

I didn’t get to play quite as much as I would have liked; I guess life is just way too freaking busy with two kids to find much time for games.

I was able to play maybe three hours of God of War, and I think I made good progress. I finally got out of the lower levels of Pandora’s Temple, and now I’m at the entrance to the Cliffs of Madness. I said it last night, but the pacing is so weird. The level list made me feel like I was flying through the game, but the temple is actually, like, the entire game.

And then last night I played almost the entire winter Lakeside chapter in TLOU. That was tense! I wanted to see it through, but it got to be 12:30am and I needed to go to sleep. So I turned it off right when Ellie climbed into an abandoned restaurant, which it turns out is actually the freaking climax of that story. So I guess I picked a really good spot to turn it off. 🫠

I might be able to roll credits on both of these titles this week. We’ll see!

Another one here that didn't play much of anything, but mostly because i've been busy tinkering with stuff.

My weekend has been a whole lot of testing my Anbernic RG351p, putting roms on it and then image scrapping them. I had to pay 10 € to download the images and normalized videos for my mame collection on less than 24 hours lol. I thought i was going crazy.

Well, to be fair i actually started a save on Pokémon SoulSilver, but i was mostly figuring if it was going to be comfy to play it on the 351p (it isn't) so it doesn't count, and i didn't even go further than giving a name to Asshole Rival. In the end i transfered the save to my 3DS and decided to continue there, so... no recap for the weekend, i'm afraid!

I've also played around with some games. I'm looking into getting to play Microsoft Flight Simulator, but unlike ETS2 that ones demands a shitload of tutorials, and played some Mario Kart 8 with my sis who has come home for the xmas.

But hey! Tinkering is part of the fun. I even discovered that the N64 Castlevanias run on the 351p (insert maniacal laugh here) my only dissapointment so far is that i'm too dumb to run games under DosBox Pure lol.

Back
Top Bottom