• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Whatcha Playin’ This Weekend, Fami? Goodbye 2023 Edition |12/29-1/1|

Red Monster

Professional Conversationalist
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy New Year and Happy Weekend! Welcome to the weekend thread. It’s the coolest (and only) weekly thread on Famiboards!

What are your gaming plans? What are your New Year’s Eve plans? We wanna hear them. Let’s go!

——————————

The only plans we have for the weekend is visiting some friends tomorrow and getting our kids together. Other than that, we’re basically free. So I should have a good amount of time for games!

I’ve realized that I’ve had too many games going at one time lately, so I’m going to try and buckle down and focus only on two titles instead of four like I have been doing.

In The Last of Us Part 1, I’ve made it to Winter. RIP Joel I guess. I know he doesn’t die, but still. Why didn’t Ellie shoot that guy in the head? She was right there!! Anyway, I think I’m getting close to the end, but I’ve heard that the hospital level coming up is unpleasant. Or at least that’s the impression I’ve gotten over the years. We’ll see I guess.

The other game I’m going to focus on is the original God of War. I just made it to Pandora’s Temple last night. I looked at a level list to get an idea of how far I am in the game, and shockingly I’ve already played half the levels. This game feels short! HLTB has the game at nine hours, but that can’t be right. Regardless, the game is a blast. Combat is a lot of fun. And I gotta give a shoutout to the level design too - stages loop back over and across themselves in a very satisfying way. It’s weird how there’s like, no boss fights though. The Hydra in the beginning was cool, and undoubtedly Ares will be cool at the end, but there’s been nothing but basic enemies in between.

I’ve got some games on the side, too, but they aren’t going to be a focus for me this weekend - Theatrhythm Final Bar Line and Pokemon Crystal Legacy as always. I really do want to try and make a strong push to finish at least one of those two games up top before the end of the year.

————————————

That’s all I got, folks! Happy New Year. Stay safe, and happy gaming!

Probably just finishing up the Pokémon DLC. Not much left yet but what is left is a grind so might take all my gaming time this weekend.

vtvF6m5.gif

Just about done with my New Game+ of my GOTY, Alan Wake II. Now that I’ve played through twice, I feel more confident than ever saying that the combat in this game RULES. Remnant II up next on Xbox.

jB2fNF5.gif

On Switch I’m playing Terra Nil, a “reverse city builder” where you place structures to help reintroduce biodiversity to a wasteland. You then recycle those same structures, leaving no trace of human intervention behind. Doesn’t run too great on Switch but I’m loving it overall (you can play on PC, or mobile with a Netflix sub)! Also, taking things to Shmup Town with Black Bird, Jamestown+ and Radiant Silvergun.

I finished Mario RPG last night, so I’ll probably hit up some of the postgame boss battles. Other than that, I plan on playing more Curse Crackers, which I got on sale, and finally winding down Sea of Stars.

Happy new year!

The other game I’m going to focus on is the original God of War. I just made it to Pandora’s Temple last night. I looked at a level list to get an idea of how far I am in the game, and shockingly I’ve already played half the levels. This game feels short! HLTB has the game at nine hours, but that can’t be right. Regardless, the game is a blast. Combat is a lot of fun. And I gotta give a shoutout to the level design too - stages loop back over and across themselves in a very satisfying way. It’s weird how there’s like, no boss fights though. The Hydra in the beginning was cool, and undoubtedly Ares will be cool at the end, but there’s been nothing but basic enemies in between.

These games are all sneaky short, especially compared to the current series. I think God of War 3 was 5 hours? But what a 5 hours! I hole you stick with it; 2 is my favorite of the entire series.

I finished Octopath 2!

I wish the game was like the final chapter. That was pretty fun and all the characters interacted!

Also. Osvald pretty OP. Especially with the class that gives you Dark and light magic.

Xenoblade 3. Probably for the next couple of weekends, tbh.

I’m trying to sneak in as much playtime as I can for Chained Echoes, which I’ve gotten addicted to. Stellar JRPG on all fronts, with the story and mechanics expanding on and on and on. Aside from that I’ll probably be playing some co-op and party games with family. My nephew has expressed interest in Untitled Goose Game so we might be playing through that.

For Octopath2. I also beat the Final Boss using Hired help lol

What an ending where the common citizen defeated the evil gods.

For the price of 30K

Finishing Tears of the Kingdom. Just got all the sages, so I assume I’m close to the end.

I'm working through Pokemon Brilliant Diamond. I got it for Christmas, and I mostly like it! I haven't played an "old school" top-down Pokemon game in a while, so this is giving me nice flashbacks to my childhood.

I know some people have major issues with this game, such as the lack of Platinum content, and potentially the game being too easy. Still, I knew what I was getting into, so none of these things bother me too much. In fact, it can be a bit challenging at times when I'm not careful. A certain Lucario made me reset my game yesterday... lesson learned. If an opponent starts stacking buffs, always remember to take it out ASAP.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R, which I got as a Christmas present and have been enjoying this week. I started feeling the Stardew Valley itch again and booted it up last night, will probably play a bit of it on the weekend too.

I've been playing the best RPG of all time Persona 4 Golden on my newly owned Steam Deck OLED. I think this is going to be my RPG machine from now on.

I picked up Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered during the Steam sale, and that's pretty good so far. It's kinda doing a lot of "AAA slop" things I'm not a huge fan of (you don't need skill trees and forced "non-superpowered" stealth in a Spidey game, and I'm not finding the narrative quite as compelling as they clearly think it is), and it sure is a "map game"-ass game (it's genuinely funny just how many new collectibles/icons they keep adding to the map; 6-ish hours in they start making you chase down pigeons), but fundamentally Spider-Man is a fun character to play as and right now I'm kinda in the mood to do map-game stuff as Spider-Man for ~20 hours

Also, I technically won't be playing it this weekend since I finished it already, but I want to talk about it anyway: A friend gifted me Titanfall 2 for Christmas and that is a very good video game. It's a game that knows exactly what it needs to be and does it superbly without overstaying its welcome; one of the most fun FPS campaigns I've played in a long time. And it also leaves me really hoping Retro Studios takes some notes, because this sort of dynamic movement and combat is exactly what I think Metroid Prime is missing

Last edited:
Since i got my RG351p pretty early, my plans have been thrown a bit into disarray. For what is worth, this is what i wanted to play this weekend:

Pokémon SoulSilver Edition
That's right. I had started a playthrough already, but i'm planning to start a game for new year. Thanks to the commands being on the lower screen i'm going to play this one on 3DS.

So... guess what: Reinhardt's Pokémon recaps are (probably) coming back! YAY

Pokémon Scarlet: The Indigo disk
I was not so invested on The Teal Mask, but this looks much better. A nice nightly distraction before going to sleep.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
My yearly Christmasvania playthrough. Despite Portrait and Ecclesia being better, i just like this one more. Plus, it's the Holidays, and say what you will, but this IS the Christmasvania.

However, setting up the RG351p is taking me a ton of time, and the console is bringing back my love for GB and GBA Games - wich the 3DS, with its soft visuals due to bad scaling, could not replicate - so now i'm not so sure.

I'm working through Pokemon Brilliant Diamond. I got it for Christmas, and I mostly like it! I haven't played an "old school" top-down Pokemon game in a while, so this is giving me nice flashbacks to my childhood.

I know some people have major issues with this game, such as the lack of Platinum content, and potentially the game being too easy. Still, I knew what I was getting into, so none of these things bother me too much. In fact, it can be a bit challenging at times when I'm not careful. A certain Lucario made me reset my game yesterday... lesson learned. If an opponent starts stacking buffs, always remember to take it out ASAP.

Here's a fun story: I loathed the game, to the point of even writing a thread over here calling it a disaster due to the controls (i find it a mighty fine remake otherwise, but the controls just feel bad to me)

This morning i found it on Amazon for 25 € and bought it again.

Don't ask me why, i still don't know lol

But i plan to play it either way, since i'm doing a Pokémon remake full playthrough.

Hey, that's a great idea for my streams! scribbles on paper

My time will probably be mainly split between Sonic Superstars, which is quite fun so far, and Spider-Man 2, which is a blast to play. I think Sonic will be the last game I finish this year, assuming I can wrap it up by Sunday.

I'm finishing Neon White. I will get the ace medal in all stages and unlock all the side stages as well. Game is amazing.

SMRPG (Switch) and Quake 2 remaster (Steam Deck). Should polish off the first mission pack on Q2 soon, but I still have the second one, Quake 2 64, and Call of the Machine to do.

Maybe some Monster Hunter World Iceborne too.

With Link and the Sages’ journey finally complete, I’m diving into two games I’ve been waiting for all year- Super Mario Wonder and World of Horror.

I’ve always enjoyed 2D Mario exceedingly more than 3D Mario so needless to say, I’m feasting. It’s so creative and inventive and seamless! Trying to grab every Wonder Seed and Purple 10 Coin and having a blast. Total bummer I can’t be Yoshi and use power-ups though, a missed opportunity.

WOH :LOL: literally shines on my SWOLED and has me addicted to its fantastic port and strange stories. Just a total joy to pick up and play handheld, especially considering the nature of the events and combat. A super gooey adventure!

I got back into playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a few days ago, so I’ll probably still be playing that somewhat. Never really played the wave 6 dlc so it’s been fun trying those online. Before that I was playing Fortnite all month so I may or may not play a little of that still. Also just redownloaded Dead Cells this morning and I‘m enjoying it. Surprised I only have 15 or more hours in it after owning it for so long.

Anyway, that’s it unless I want to redownload some other random stuff.

I'm travelling and unable to continue Tunic, which I was playing on PS5. Meanwhile I've been struggling to start anything new on Switch, and the little I've played has just been replays of A Highland Song.

I'm sick, which I'm not happy about because I have a very busy NYE (final two shows and hostessing the girlfriends for a movie night and midnight fireworks). Hoping that taking it easy today and tomorrow (minus baking some lemon bars) will help me get better enough to enjoy Sunday.

At any rate, I'm craving something a little gentle. Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life on Switch and Trio of Towns on my 3DS.

I got my 3DS a few months ago and haven't played it much. I'm trying to figure out if I can make progress in a game on my Switch and a different one on my 3DS at the same time.

I picked up Modern Warfare 3 (2023) on sale so I'll probably be playing quite a bit of the multiplayer in that.

Also finally making my way through the end of the third Ace Attorney, it's been about a year since I last played but I'm up to the last case and want to finish it off before the Apollo Justice Trilogy releases.

Other than that, a little bit of DBD to finish off some of the event challenges before they leave and to hopefully reach the max lvl of the battle pass before it finishes.

Couple of games on the go atm, Batman Arkham Origins (Steam Deck) first time playing this and I’m taking my time and enjoying it a lot. Also started playing Gunbrella (Switch) only played an hour or so but liking it so far, feels great to move around and play.

Happy weekend Fami!

I finished my Tales of Symphonia GameCube replay two days ago so I’m down to just two games this weekend, Octopath Traveler II and the Magia Record fan translation. I’m glad since juggling two RPGs in particular just wasn’t working out well (being extra busy around the holidays didn’t help). I’m ten hours into Octopath Traveler II and have five of the characters and just started getting into trouble by heading into a higher level zone early. Excited to continue my adventure there. I haven’t touched Magia Record in a week so I’m still in Arc 2 Chapter 5. I’m in no rush, but it’d be cool to wrap that up and Another Story Chapter 5 this weekend.

I restarted my Metroid prime playthrough and I’m really enjoying it again so I’ll play that all weekend. I’m sick real bad so I’ll try and play when I can.

Done with DQ Monsters, now I'm going back to Borderlands 3 to finish up all the DLC's it came with. Also dabbling a little Arkham City, MK1, KoF13 and the recently released Fortnite games (especially the rhythm one). I also left Sonic Superstars halfway, now could be best time to return to that.

I plan on finishing Spider-Man 2. I am basically on the second to last mission with everything else completed. Good game. I think I prefer the first one but this was a good romp. From there, might pivot to Jedi: Survivor. I am like 55% done with that.

Late to the party today. For my last PTO day, I drove an hour and a half for some of the best pizza I’ve ever had. 🍕

Last night, I snagged CrossCode (Switch) and Curse Crackers: For Whom The Belle Toils (Switch) on sale so I’ll boot those up at some point this weekend to try them out instead of any of the hundreds of other games in my backlog. 🤷‍♀️

Other than, continuing to test Zephyr’s Pass (GBC).

Haven’t been very active in these threads lately, but I’m closing out the year by hopefully finishing Pikmin 2! I put the game down for a while after the triple threat of Mario Wonder, WarioWare, and Mario RPG (which I’ve allllmost completed) but I dived back in last weekend and managed to obtain every treasure outside of the final area. All that’s left is the Wistful Wilds and those three caves with the terrifying names!

I’ve also been spending a fair amount of free time in Pokémon Violet… and while I wish I could say it’s because I’m deeply engrossed in the new content of the Indigo Disk, the truth is that I’m back on my bullshit, AKA I’m shiny hunting again. I had two very successful hunts doing the Masada method with Piplup (Heavy Ball) and Larvesta (Sport Ball), both of whom were on my most wanted list for years now and popped out in less than 100 eggs. Now I’m working on Grookey (went with a Friend Ball for this one) and things are going slower this time, but multitasking with YouTube videos makes it pretty easy to endure.

I've been continuing with War Room missions on Reboot Camp, and did a little more Mario RPG. The latter hasn't really gelled with me at any point but I'm probably 70% of the way through the game so I'll likely stick it out to completion.

I once played a little bit of the OG SNES Super Mario RPG at a retro game bar. Didn't get very far but... now that I am playing the modern Switch version of it, man, the pacing feels so much faster and smoother. From what I've heard, this is a game you can really breeze through quickly. Not a fan of Mario actually transforming into the various characters he is depicting. It would have been funnier if they actually depicted him as pantomiming the characters while still in the Mario model.

Also, starting to look at the backlog of games and planning what I want to try and finish next year (before the Switch 2?). I think I will want to try to complete the Atelier Ryza trilogy within the year of 2024.

Just beat Shantae and the Seven Sirens yesterday. It will probably be the last game I beat in 2023. I'm about 9.5 hours into Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. Probably won't beat that for another month or two.

I 100%d Super Mario Wonder. A Japanese Yellow Toad really helped me out in the final level ❤

Bought Super Mario RPG and Pikmin 4 as a Christmas present for myself. Really enjoying Super Mario RPG. Never thought I'd see the day where a cloud boy has to hold back Mario from punching a Toad child. Can't wait for the TTYD remake next year, never played it before.

Also playing Baldurs Gate 3 on PS5.

I'm working on finishing super mario RPG BUT, remember everybody, you can't play games on new year if you don't do your taxes!

I've ordered Marios Wonder and RPG but I dunno if they arrove before new years.
I've played a lot of blood West but its first boss is bumming me out. In a wonderful imsim tradition, it's shit. Kinda sucks that I've spent 5 hours leveling a character to be stealthy and good at melee with deep pockets, and the Bed of Chaos that spits Lost Souls goes "nope, gotta shoot me with your withered t-rex arms that can't hold a gun" so frankly, not even sure I'll even try more

Possibly beating Mario Wonder this weekend as I think I have two worlds left before rolling credits? Also getting some Mario Kart 8 DX in as I’m visiting family and need to throw down with my sister.

Started a replay of Parasite Eve on ny Vita
Yesssss! Please get into the RPG thread and nerd out with me about it.

I'm playing Hi-Fi Rush and Stay out of the House. Both I'm really enjoying! It took me a while to get into Hi-Fi cause I'm not usually a fan of "haha we're cartoons isn't that CRAZY" wacky humor but I eventually got into it once the combat started picking up and I realized it's basically a Futurama character action game. I will say that I suck ass at the game which is hampering some of my enjoyment a bit - the timing of the game feels a bit weird especially since sometimes you can press something twice and it still counts while other times it feels like you have to be very exact in your timing. I'm enjoying both a lot, hope I can finish them this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom